post #3091 of 5101 Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigdawg View Post

I'm about 50 hours into Break In with contrast and brightness set at about 50% of normal.... Picture is a bit dim/annoying, but I am suffering through it. I ran into my first real annoyance tonight that I know I've read about somewhere else in the forum, the fluctuating / floating blacks.

I was watching an HD TV show through DirecTV DVR, and the blacks were going crazy from light to dim when cameras changed. Should this be less noticeable once I calibrate the settings properly? Or is there a Setting I should change to get rid of it now?

I can deal with the dim, but these changes in light make me a little naucious! Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback... Sorry if this has been addressed, I've read so much on this forum over the past couple of weeks it's a bit of a blur!

-Jason

I didn't use any of the breakin ritual bs but are you sure your source material isn't the cause rather than the tv? I get really crappy reception on some DirecTV channels because of where I live, and the quality of signal alone differs greatly depending on how well a particular channel can tune in. You'd think with a given source that it would have consistent black levels, so perhaps you've got something there but just what were you watching...who directed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 5101 Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I didn't use any of the breakin ritual bs but are you sure your source material isn't the cause rather than the tv? I get really crappy reception on some DirecTV channels because of where I live, and the quality of signal alone differs greatly depending on how well a particular channel can tune in. You'd think with a given source that it would have consistent black levels, so perhaps you've got something there but just what were you watching...who directed?

I was watching a couple of comedy shows... Two and a Half Men and then the Charlie Sheen roast.... Both were fluctuating up and down quite a bit.

Regarding the signal, I have a Monster HDMI running from DVR to TV... It is about 5 years old from my last set, but I paid over $100 new so it's a good wire. Think this could be the problem and maybe a new higher speed HDMI would alleviate the problem?

-Jason
post #3093 of 5101 Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was watching a couple of comedy shows... Two and a Half Men and then the Charlie Sheen roast.... Both were fluctuating up and down quite a bit.

Regarding the signal, I have a Monster HDMI running from DVR to TV... It is about 5 years old from my last set, but I paid over $100 new so it's a good wire. Think this could be the problem and maybe a new higher speed HDMI would alleviate the problem?

-Jason

Well, Monster is pretty much average connector stuff with above-average price tags, so YMMV, but they're not signals I was referring to. I mean the particular channel, was it coming in with good strength of signal? They're not all equally received. Do you get the same behavior from a BluRay disc?

post #3094 of 5101 Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Well, Monster is pretty much average connector stuff with above-average price tags, so YMMV, but they're not signals I was referring to. I mean the particular channel, was it coming in with good strength of signal? They're not all equally received. Do you get the same behavior from a BluRay disc?

I just tested out some dark scenes from 300 and everything seemed to be good there, no fluctuations at all in blacks & an impressive picture even with the dim settings.... I have my BluRay player running to the TV using a new high speed Insignia HDMI cable I picked up on clearance at BB for like $35.

On my DVR, the CBS feed isn't that great for most shows but Comedy Central tends to be spot on most of the time. Never had a problem with my old set, but then again I was probably not looking for it.

Do you think it might be worth picking up another Insignia HDMI to replace the old Monster cord and seeing if that improves PQ on my DVR?
post #3095 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado01 View Post

My question is it: I believe because there would be a single HDMI output to the TV, I can't adjust the picture settings individually on the TV to each source, but I would have to do with a one-size-fits-all, which actually would fit none too precisely.
Do I need to run an HDMI cable for each source so I can make individual adjustments? Is there a way to adjust them individually from a single HDMI source?

yes, if you want different settings for each HDMI source you have to connect them individually to the tv. you might run into the same problem as i did: the sound (thru your receiver) is out of sync. besides you need one more remote to switch sources. unfortunately my previous set-up (all sources into receiver, 1 HDMI to tv) doesn't work with the samsung.
anybody with an idea to fix that?
post #3096 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi46 View Post

yes, if you want different settings for each HDMI source you have to connect them individually to the tv. you might run into the same problem as i did: the sound (thru your receiver) is out of sync. besides you need one more remote to switch sources. unfortunately my previous set-up (all sources into receiver, 1 HDMI to tv) doesn't work with the samsung.
anybody with an idea to fix that?

It works for mine. What happens in your case? What have you tried? (I added a new HDMI cable to my setup and accidentally plugged the HDMI at the AVR (Denon) into one of the HDMI input slots. They are right next to each other, and I was reaching behind in the dark so as not to have to pull out the whole beast. A few minutes of panic/confusion as to why I wasn't seeing any HDMI input at all followed.)

Re: the OP's questions about connecting sources directly to the TV

Another little obstacle to overcome with sending each player separately to the TV via HDMI/Component beyond sync of audio/video is that the audio output from the TV (digital optical) back to the AVR is only stereo except for OTA, which is 5.1 (according to the e-manual; I haven't tested it, because, like I said single HDMI from AVR to TV works fine for me. I have read that some say the output from the TV is 5.1 even with HDMI input. Even if maybe plain vanilla Dolby surround, such as with sat boxes or cable boxes, is possible, there is no way Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD will pass in this manner.)

So, if you want Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD and possibly any 5.1 surround sound you need to run a separate digital audio output from the original source to your AVR in addition to the HDMI or Component to the TV. The OP has an OPPO, and that has, I believe, a second HDMI that can be configured as audio only, so he's covered with that. But for the cable box to provide 5.1 I don't know if he has a digital out for audio, but probably he does.

The big reason these days for running HDMI to the TV and AVR separately is so 3D can be viewed without having to upgrade the AVR.

I think the Wii has as it's best connection, Component. So there is only stereo analog audio. The optical out of the TV back to AVR would be no problem (other than sync, but that's adjustable in the TV and also in most AVRs)
post #3097 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

What's the current version?
post #3098 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM

So here's the big question: If I choose to run a single HDMI cable from the Denon receiver to the TV, and calibrate it based on the Oppo output, will I be happy with the picture from the Motorola HD DVR and the WII?
post #3099 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hope that no one else gets stuck with this set. The jumping black levels are driving me nuts. Until Samsung offers a fix, I would avoid this set. Of course, YMMV.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #3100 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado01 View Post

So here's the big question: If I choose to run a single HDMI cable from the Denon receiver to the TV, and calibrate it based on the Oppo output, will I be happy with the picture from the Motorola HD DVR and the WII?

Most likely, yes.

You will see that there is a fair amount of variability as to video quality between networks at times. The main networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) have less variability in my experience with DirecTV. They will look very good with the settings you come up with from your OPPO, using such things as Avia, DVE, AVS Rec 709 disc, Spears & Munsil, or whatever you use to calibrate from your OPPO.

Your Wii is a little different in that it is graphics and as such, has no basis in reality. No skin tones, no actual green grass, no blue sky, and no favorite sports team uniforms for you to compare to. You might want to make this picture a little more colorful, and connect your Wii directly to the TV. You can make the default settings for this connection "Standard" and adjust to your liking. With your optical out of the TV you can choose whether to have your audio through TV speakers or through your AVR.

With your HDMI inputs that go through the AVR (OPPO and Motorola), you can have the AVR On, turn the TV sound all the way down, and use your big speakers, or you can have the AVR Off and let the audio pass through to your TV for when you don't want as much noise.
post #3101 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tested out some dark scenes from 300 and everything seemed to be good there, no fluctuations at all in blacks & an impressive picture even with the dim settings.... I have my BluRay player running to the TV using a new high speed Insignia HDMI cable I picked up on clearance at BB for like $35.

On my DVR, the CBS feed isn't that great for most shows but Comedy Central tends to be spot on most of the time. Never had a problem with my old set, but then again I was probably not looking for it.

Do you think it might be worth picking up another Insignia HDMI to replace the old Monster cord and seeing if that improves PQ on my DVR?

The source material reaches back further than just the tv provider, too, so take that into consideration as well. If you're not having problems on all of the stuff you feed into the DVR, then it's probably not your connector, though. Sounds like Insignia is expensive. Try monoprice.com, great variety of lengths and other options that beat the selection at the local BB.

ps You can just switch cables to see if there's a difference between them...

post #3102 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM

[quote=kjgarrison;20974856]It works for mine. What happens in your case? What have you tried?

i'm unsuccessfully trying to re-establish this arrangement that worked so well with my previous tv (Loewe):
3 HDMI (pc, pvr, dvd) into receiver (yamaha RX-V3900), 1 HDMI out into tv. to switch sources (audio and video) you only have to switch receiver.
doesn't work with my new samsung: pc doesn't show at all, pvr ok with 1st tv channel, but when i change channel the whole screen turns purple. only dvd is ok.
the only option now is to connect the 3 components directly to the HDMI sockets on the tv. that works, but i have to change source on tv ( picture) plus on receiver (sound). what a pain. plus the sync problem. samsung is offering audio delay (see pg191 e-manual) when you connect tv dig out to avr, but then you get only stereo. yamaha has audio sync option but only when you connect components to HDMI sockets on AVR.
i'm just running around in circles.
post #3103 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:

The source material reaches back further than just the tv provider, too, so take that into consideration as well. If you're not having problems on all of the stuff you feed into the DVR, then it's probably not your connector, though. Sounds like Insignia is expensive. Try monoprice.com, great variety of lengths and other options that beat the selection at the local BB.

ps You can just switch cables to see if there's a difference between them...

Sometimes the most obvious options staring you in the face are the ones that need to be pointed out... Thanks for that idea! I'll try swapping the wires and see if that makes a difference with the DVR PQ.
post #3104 of 5101 Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=yogi46;20977919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

It works for mine. What happens in your case? What have you tried?

i'm unsuccessfully trying to re-establish this arrangement that worked so well with my previous tv (Loewe):
3 HDMI (pc, pvr, dvd) into receiver (yamaha RX-V3900), 1 HDMI out into tv. to switch sources (audio and video) you only have to switch receiver.
YES, THAT IS HOW MINE WORKS.

doesn't work with my new samsung: pc doesn't show at all,
YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SELECT THE PC SOURCE/INPUT AT YOUR AVR NOTHING GETS TO THE TV?

pvr ok with 1st tv channel,
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY PVR OK WITH 1ST TV CHANNEL. IS THE PVR CONNECTED TO THE AVR OR TO THE TV?

but when i change channel the whole screen turns purple.
WHEN YOU CHANGE CHANNEL ON WHAT? THE TV OR THE PVR?

only dvd is ok.
SO AT LEAST THIS SHOWS THAT YOUR DVD, YOUR AVR, YOUR TV AND THE TWO HDMI CABLES ARE OK, AT LEAST USING THE HDMI INPUT YOUR DVD IS PLUGGED INTO. DID YOU CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR HDMI INPUT CABLES INTO YOUR AVR ARE RIGHT? DID YOU CHANGE ANY SETTINGS IN THE AVR?

the only option now is to connect the 3 components directly to the HDMI sockets on the tv. that works, but i have to change source on tv ( picture) plus on receiver (sound). what a pain. plus the sync problem. samsung is offering audio delay (see pg191 e-manual) when you connect tv dig out to avr, but then you get only stereo. yamaha has audio sync option but only when you connect components to HDMI sockets on AVR.
i'm just running around in circles.

SEE CAPS IN YOUR POST

You might try hooking your PC or PVR to the one input that you know for sure works, the one your DVD is currently plugged into, and see if you can get anything to the TV

One thing for sure, this is not normal for these TVs.
post #3105 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can anyone just have a peek at the back of their set to see if it is multi-voltage?

Do the recent sets have any more screen peel issues?
post #3106 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Can anyone just have a peek at the back of their set to see if it is multi-voltage?

Do the recent sets have any more screen peel issues?

I've the led UN60D8000 so not sure if it's the same (i'd presume they are). It says 110-120v 60Hz 190W. Mine was made in Tijuana, Mexico.
post #3107 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM

So every time I use the internet tools I have to have my pn51d800 find the internet connection again. Is there a way to save this so it automatically connects when powering on?
post #3108 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemmons View Post

So every time I use the internet tools I have to have my pn51d800 find the internet connection again. Is there a way to save this so it automatically connects when powering on?

What are internet tools? You mean apps? When I have network issues with my internet provider's service and need to reset my modem and router (wireless) the tv wants to start anew with the network thing and do the password over again but if I simply power the tv down and start it up and it finds the network on its own again, don't know if that's similar to your issue or not...

post #3109 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM

No, my modem and internet are fine. No issues there. For some reason every time I go into the apps, the tv has my do the network setup again (well, every time the tv gets shut down).
post #3110 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 PM

I Just got a new D8000 from fry's for $2K and I'm looking to hook it up properly.

I have a Denon 3312CI with a single HDMI going to the TV.
In addition there is a DVD -- HDMI
Cable DVR -- HDMI
AppleTV -- HDMI
Nintendo wii -- Comp.

I was playing around with the smart center thing and realized that there wasn't a way to play the TV signals back through the receiver without another cable...right?

I'm thinking I need to add a toslink to the TV out and in on the receiver and set the receiver to TV when I want to watch something like netflix...is that right?

thanks for the help.

One more question...what should I use to clean the screen? I used windex on my last TV and regretted that it took off some antiglare coating...
post #3111 of 5101 Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no comment View Post

I Just got a new D8000 from fry's for $2K and I'm looking to hook it up properly.

Cable DVR -- HDMI
AppleTV -- HDMI
Nintendo wii -- Comp.

I was playing around with the smart center thing and realized that there wasn't a way to play the TV signals back through the receiver without another cable...right?

I'm thinking I need to add a toslink to the TV out and in on the receiver and set the receiver to TV when I want to watch something like netflix...is that right?

thanks for the help.

One more question...what should I use to clean the screen? I used windex on my last TV and regretted that it took off some antiglare coating...

Yes, you will need the toslink out from your TV to your Denon to get sound to your AVR from things like Netflix that you can get to your TV. However, it will only be stereo sound unless it is OTA, in which case it will be 5.1. You need to tell us if your component hookup of your Wii will be passed on to the TV via the HDMI cable. You might need to go directly to the TV with the Wii and send sound back to your AVR with the new optical cable you need to get.

Back a few posts look for instructions on screen cleaning. Or do a search.
post #3112 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
The display's optical out passes DD5.1 for all my devices (including internal Netflix and Vudu apps) except my fios box.
post #3113 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no comment View Post

Cable DVR -- HDMI
AppleTV -- HDMI
Nintendo wii -- Comp.

thanks for the help.

Does your set buzz?

As for cleaning, you can use a plastic specific cleaner made for TVs and electronics or plain water. Be sure to use a clean/new high quality microfiber cloth. Do not spray the TV directly with the water or cleaning solution. Apply a small amount directly to the cloth instead. Do not use regular terry cloth or paper towels, as those will likely scratch the AR coating. Read the manual, too. I am sure it has something in there about cleaning.
post #3114 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Most of the time a simple microfiber is enough. For a spot, use distilled water on a cool screen.
post #3115 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Yes, you will need the toslink out from your TV to your Denon to get sound to your AVR from things like Netflix that you can get to your TV. However, it will only be stereo sound unless it is OTA, in which case it will be 5.1. You need to tell us if your component hookup of your Wii will be passed on to the TV via the HDMI cable. You might need to go directly to the TV with the Wii and send sound back to your AVR with the new optical cable you need to get.

Thanks for the reply. For the Wii i have the Comp VID going into Sat/Cable on the denon and I have the stereo RCA cables plugged into the Cable Audio IN. It works fine for me thanks to the harmony remote.

I'm glad to hear about the 5.1 surround, since I have lots of burned movies that I will likely want to play on this.

I will take the advice on cleaning.
post #3116 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can anyone recommend a nice IR receiver so I can hide my cable box and BR player? I would like the IR receiver to be as hidden as possible.

I was looking at the following but I don't know what is good

http://www.amazon.com/Xantech-DL85K-...6734913&sr=8-1
What is the difference for the DL95K? For almost double the price I don't see a difference?

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #3117 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The display's optical out passes DD5.1 for all my devices (including internal Netflix and Vudu apps) except my fios box.

Yep. So does mine, now that I bother to actually test it. I was quoting from the User e-Manual. I get DD5.1 out of the optical back to my receiver with HDMI input from my DirecTV box.

This e-manual is one of the sparsest manuals I have ever seen- and with errors no less.
post #3118 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep. So does mine, now that I bother to actually test it. I was quoting from the User e-Manual. I get DD5.1 out of the optical back to my receiver with HDMI input from my DirecTV box.

This e-manual is one of the sparsest manuals I have ever seen- and with errors no less.

Curious, you don't use an AVR for the Directv? You plug your Directv direct to the TV?

post #3119 of 5101 Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curious, you don't use an AVR for the Directv? You plug your Directv direct to the TV?

Isn't that what DirectTV means?

Just kidding.

I plug DTV into my AVR with HDMI, but since I ran the optical out from the TV to the AVR, I was able to change the audio source from the normal HDMI to OPT1 and confirm that I still had DD5.1.

When I get a chance I'll run the same test on my BR player including finding out what happens with HD audio like DTS MA and Dolby True HD.
post #3120 of 5101 Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 PM

just recieved my replacement d8000 for the flashing pixels problem, and then bam, i have this dark blotch, im guessing it is not perfect uniformity? happens on pitch black screens as well, like theres bars of them, does this fix itself or, another phone call to samsung?
LL
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page