Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 5101 Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

What surprised me is that the Panny and Sammy held their own (and then some) against the Sharp Elite.

I've not followed the Elite closely. But since it's an LCD set, I would expect it not to perform as well as the best plasmas. Why the surprise?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 5101 Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
All of the usual plasma loving experts (d-nice, Kevin Miller, etc) said it was the first LCD they would recommend over plasma. It was touted as a Kuro killer. At the shootout, it was determined that the color accuracy was poor. They showed a teal screen and on on the Sharp, it was blue. Even D-nice said going into the event, he thought the Sharp would win.

I think that is the biggest surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

I've not followed the Elite closely. But since it's an LCD set, I would expect it not to perform as well as the best plasmas. Why the surprise?

post #3303 of 5101 Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDashMP3 View Post

O.K., here's my situation..coming off a great commercial grade Panasonic 42" Plasma that's been the focal point in our family room for the past 6 years. Needless to say, it's only a 480p "ED" monitor, but the PQ is amazing.. some folks can't tell it's not HD! I'm in the market for a new tv, with a 55.5 inch physical width restriction.. I started looking at the UN60D8000 LED from Samsung (LOVE the physical appearance of that display). It works for me from a physical size front, and "barely" fits the budget. After realizing I'm going to need a new A/V receiver with HDMI 1.4a switching for 3d and return audio, I'm realizing I will be spending a lot more money than planned. The only reason I'm looking now at the PN59D8000 is that I can get it for $1000 less than the 60" LED. My viewing distance is 13' and I don't think the 1" view-able difference is going to kill me!! I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I drop the money on either one of these. I like the energy efficiency of the LED, but the $$$ of the Plasma. I like to watch hockey, other sports, movies, gaming, etc..this thing will see it all. Looking for some feedback for those that have experience comparing the Samsung 60" LED vs. the 59" Plasma.. Is there a glaring reason (other than power consumption, weight, and the bezel) why I would go with the LED over the plasma? (I'm honestly not trying to start the gazillionth thread on LED/LCD vs Plasma...just looking for actual feedback on these specific units).

Oh by the way...see my join date?? Came here back then for guidance in my Plasma purchase! This forum guided my decision 6 years ago which was absolutely perfect.. Hoping for some similar feedback 6 years later!!!

The D8000 are excellent, but I'm not here to help you with that decision.

You do not need a new AVR. Just get a 3D capable BR player with dual HDMI outputs, and send your 3D video to the TV and your audio through your current AVR (assuming your current AVR has HDMI inputs).
post #3304 of 5101 Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDashMP3 View Post

O.K., here's my situation..coming off a great commercial grade Panasonic 42" Plasma that's been the focal point in our family room for the past 6 years. Needless to say, it's only a 480p "ED" monitor, but the PQ is amazing.. some folks can't tell it's not HD! I'm in the market for a new tv, with a 55.5 inch physical width restriction.. I started looking at the UN60D8000 LED from Samsung (LOVE the physical appearance of that display). It works for me from a physical size front, and "barely" fits the budget. After realizing I'm going to need a new A/V receiver with HDMI 1.4a switching for 3d and return audio, I'm realizing I will be spending a lot more money than planned. The only reason I'm looking now at the PN59D8000 is that I can get it for $1000 less than the 60" LED. My viewing distance is 13' and I don't think the 1" view-able difference is going to kill me!! I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I drop the money on either one of these. I like the energy efficiency of the LED, but the $$$ of the Plasma. I like to watch hockey, other sports, movies, gaming, etc..this thing will see it all. Looking for some feedback for those that have experience comparing the Samsung 60" LED vs. the 59" Plasma.. Is there a glaring reason (other than power consumption, weight, and the bezel) why I would go with the LED over the plasma? (I'm honestly not trying to start the gazillionth thread on LED/LCD vs Plasma...just looking for actual feedback on these specific units).

Oh by the way...see my join date?? Came here back then for guidance in my Plasma purchase! This forum guided my decision 6 years ago which was absolutely perfect.. Hoping for some similar feedback 6 years later!!!

As a former owner of two Samsung UN46D8000 LED TVs, both of which had problems, and as a current owner of the PN51D8000, I suggest you go to the thread on the Samsung LED TVs and checkout the comments.

I really like the plasma, and yes I bought a new A/V Receiver to match it. Unless you have tons of light in your viewing room, I would recommend the plasma.

Wes
post #3305 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

All of the usual plasma loving experts (d-nice, Kevin Miller, etc) said it was the first LCD they would recommend over plasma. It was touted as a Kuro killer. At the shootout, it was determined that the color accuracy was poor. They showed a teal screen and on on the Sharp, it was blue. Even D-nice said going into the event, he thought the Sharp would win.

I think that is the biggest surprise.

Sure surprised me when I got home last night and started reading the post.

Imagine what an early adoper was thinking after dropping 2 to 3 times as much on and Elite and then finding out that the Samsung had better color performance. I bet some Elite owners found new 4 letter words that we've not heard of before.

Was anything said about how Samsung's 3D performance compared to the Elite and the Panasonic? ...and what about motion?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3306 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Well, if you are a plasma guy and own a D series, you know it's a good set.
post #3307 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have a link to the shootout w/comments?

Also are any of these firmware updates going to improve the black levels of the Samsung sets or does anyone know? Also, I'm hoping 1022 fixes the fluctuating brightness.
post #3308 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 AM

I don't see them making the blacks better. Also, this late in the year I don't see them fixing the fluctuations.

1022 notes say nothing about it.
post #3309 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

I don't see them making the blacks better. Also, this late in the year I don't see them fixing the fluctuations.

big disappointment

i assume the 7000 has the same issues?
post #3310 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 AM

I see fluctuation, some do not. Still wouldn't change my choice.
post #3311 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:45 AM

I've been lurking around this site for a couple years now and have got a ton of great info. I just purchased a D8000 a couple days ago and love the set. I've got a couple questions -

1) I downloaded the break in slides and put them on a USB stick. I ran them for about 24 hours and then turned off my TV for a couple hours to give the set a break. I ran out of the house last night and started the slides again. I came home 4 hours later and realized I had a brain dead moment and didn't start the slide show. So the first "White" image was displayed for those 4 hours. Since it was a solid color over the entire screen... is there any way to tell if there is any IR? Is the "White" image being static on the screen for a couple hours really damaging to the set long term?

2) Is screen peeling covered under Samsung's warranty? From what I've read, it appears it is. But how do they fix it? I've got a tiny bit of, what I think is, screen peel on the top right of the screen. It looks like a small bubble about the size of my pinky nail on the screen.

Thanks again!
post #3312 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 AM

1) I think you are fine

2) there are a couple of versions of the fix (new tv, washer fix). Yes, it is under warranty.
post #3313 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 AM

My installation is on October 22nd. I decided to run two HDMI cables to the TV, one solely dedicated to the Oppo signal and the second one to run anything else (at this point the Comcast HD DVR and the WII) from the Denon receiver. I'm using the second HDMI output of the Oppo to run the sound to the Denon receiver. Here's my question: the manual says HDMI 1 takes a DVI to HDMI cable , HDMI 2 is ARC compliant and nothing special for 3 and 4. I want to connect the cable to and from the Denon receiver to HDMI 2 to use the ARC capabilities with the apps on this Samsung, but where do I connect the input from the Oppo? 1, 3 or 4 and why? Oh, and by the way, is ARC working on this TV?
post #3314 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Liked: 15
Just upgraded to the new firmware on my p59d8000. So far haven't had any brightness pops on the last three blu-rays i watched. Might be coincidental / placebo effect. Anybody else notice a reduced brightness pop with the new patch?
post #3315 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What is really awesome about the update is that it resets your picture settings. I am being sarcastic if you didn't pick that up
post #3316 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

What is really awesome about the update is that it resets your picture settings. I am being sarcastic if you didn't pick that up

I have only had this happen with one firmware update with my C8000 set in over a year and a half of ownership and several updates. Not sure what causes this to happen but not everyone is affected. It is a pain to have to go back and reset everything. I wrote all my settings down but a firmware update shouldn't do this, but if it does, it should warn you to write your settings down in advance.
post #3317 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM

That sucks. Lotta 10pt settings to reenter.
post #3318 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see fluctuation, some do not. Still wouldn't change my choice.

No, not saying you should at all. It's a good set. That kinda stuff just bothers me. I had high hopes for the Samsung's this year but the fluctuations in brightness and the pretty high black levels kinda disappointed me...last year Samsung fixed the black level issue with an update.
post #3319 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

All hope is not lost. I followed the shootout online today and asked about FBr to the samsung rep. He replied that he hadn't heard of this issue but would pass it along to their engineering dept a.s.a.p. Take that for what it's worth as FBr has constantly been the major issue with this year's Sammy PDPs on all the major forums.

Apart from this and the higher MLL once you engage 24p, this set impressed everyone and most likely will be the winner once the results are posted in a couple of days. It's a shame Samsung doesn't employ better quality control out of their production lines (peeling, buzzing etc) but if you manage to get a good set- it looks like they've finally caught up and even surpassed Panasonics high end VT series this year. That is quite an acheivement
post #3320 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where are those 1022 notes?
post #3321 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Where are those 1022 notes?

Looks like it's a Netflix firmware.

Most of the other listed fixes where on previous versions.

1. Title
Firmware for PDP TV D8000 series.(ver 1022.1)
2. Applicable Model
51D8000FF, 59D8000FF, 64D8000FF
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer
all customers
4. Description
- This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model)
- Change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode
- Change the type of information of Info banner
- Prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu, etc)
- Support Remote Service
- Support Netflix 3.1

buytme
post #3322 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Liked: 13
For those of you that run separate HDMI cables to your tv for each of your sources (so each source is calibrated correctly), how do you get sound through your AVR?

Do I need two HDMI out's from each of my sources, then run one to the tv and the other to my AVR?

Right now my stereo doesn't have HDMI, but I'm considering updating it and curious to know how it will work.

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
post #3323 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, if you are a plasma guy and own a D series, you know it's a good set.

5 day owner of a 64D8000 and have absolutely zero buyers regret.

Absolutely love the uniformity and the vividness of the picture.

Enjoying Sunday Night Football it all its glory.
post #3324 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

For those of you that run separate HDMI cables to your tv for each of your sources (so each source is calibrated correctly), how do you get sound through your AVR?

Do I need two HDMI out's from each of my sources, then run one to the tv and the other to my AVR?

Right now my stereo doesn't have HDMI, but I'm considering updating it and curious to know how it will work.

Running everything thru the avr makes it easy. I've been setup with an hdmi rcvr for 4 years, and it's very convenient to run all sources to it and one hdmi out to the tv.
post #3325 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Running everything thru the avr makes it easy. I've been setup with an hdmi rcvr for 4 years, and it's very convenient to run all sources to it and one hdmi out to the tv.

I've read that if you want each source to be calibrated differently then you need an HDMI into your tv for each source.

My current setup is just that, but I'm also running optical cables from each source into my AVR.

Does ARC somehow eliminate the need for a second HDMI out from each source for the setup I'm describing?

Family Room
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
post #3326 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If you need a new AVR for any reason then get one that handles 3-D.
To calibrate individual sources you need calibration material for each. .
What IS there for anything other than your bluray player?
post #3327 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM

what a class its go gud and really aswm....
looks are really cool...
post #3328 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

If you need a new AVR for any reason then get one that handles 3-D.
To calibrate individual sources you need calibration material for each. .
What IS there for anything other than your bluray player?

Yeah, I'd definitely get one that supports 3D since my tv supports it.

As for the calibration sources, it would be for DirecTv, blu-ray, and PS3, and each of those has it's own 3D calibration settings.

Right now I'm using the same settings for all of the settings, but that's because I haven't had my tv calibrated and I'm just using some settings posted on my tv's thread on this site. At some point, I want to get

Family Room
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
post #3329 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:

As for the calibration sources, it would be for DirecTv, blu-ray, and PS3, and each of those has it's own 3D calibration settings.

Right now I'm using the same settings for all of the settings, but that's because I haven't had my tv calibrated and I'm just using some settings posted on my tv's thread on this site. At some point, I want to get it calibrated but CNET recommends waiting for a year to do it.

Edited....

Family Room
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
post #3330 of 5101 Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now I'm using the same settings for all of the settings, but that's because I haven't had my tv calibrated and I'm just using some settings posted on my tv's thread on this site. At some point, I want to get

Yes, you can have SETTINGS for each source, but unless you get it professionally calibrated, there is nothing to use to show you patterns needed to figure out what these settings need to be besides the ones available for your bluray player.

Even then, I'm not sure your pro calibrator is going to set up a calibration for each of your sources: your DVR, game consoles, satellite/cable box.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page