Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spanbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

First off the LCE is not an option to turn on or off it's just something inside television. An added feature.

Then what's micro dimming, if not a local-contrast enhancer?

Click here for my home theater setup
Spanbauer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Member
 
hunter52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you with the PN64D8000 what wall mount bracket did you go with?
hunter52 is offline  
post #363 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Member
 
david1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Micro dimming is on the led samsung. I just purchased the samsung pn59d8000 and there is no option for the LCE not sure what the **** it is
david1923 is offline  
post #364 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spanbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

Micro dimming is on the led samsung. I just purchased the samsung pn59d8000 and there is no option for the LCE not sure what the **** it is

So when you asked about whether micro dimming should on or off a few pages back, it wasn't because you found the option in the menu of your PN59D8000? Because that's the impression we all got.

Click here for my home theater setup
Spanbauer is offline  
post #365 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Member
 
iButterfingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post

For those of you with the PN64D8000 what wall mount bracket did you go with?

Go with the WMN2000C from Samsung. Mine just came in the mail for my new PN64D8000
iButterfingers is offline  
post #366 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Member
 
hunter52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iButterfingers View Post


Go with the WMN2000C from Samsung. Mine just came in the mail for my new PN64D8000

Thanks!
hunter52 is offline  
post #367 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Member
 
LASwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning to purchase a PN64D8000, and wonder from those of you that have it, how is the buzzing? Is there greater buzzing from the larger plasma displays compared to the 51" version?

I am asking since I returned an 59" 860 last year...
LASwede is offline  
post #368 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
AuDiOBoY529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

First off the LCE is not an option to turn on or off it's just something inside television. An added feature.

Oh I didn't know that. Then if it is build in, should we be seeing a picture difference between it and the rest of the 2011 1080p Samsung plasmas sets?
AuDiOBoY529 is offline  
post #369 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post

For those of you with the PN64D8000 what wall mount bracket did you go with?

Not a fan of a plastic and wire samsung mount for a large plasma. Universal steel mount for a little less that bolts into 3 studs,

Peerless ST680PTilt Mount >>> Click Here


Peerless SF680P Flat Mount >>> Click here
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #370 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Member
 
Invictcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LCE??? Micro Dimming??? Some of you guys have D8000 sets...right? I read on a thread somewhere that LCE is always on...however, you can increase it's affect with Dynamic contrast...now...that might be a bunch of bull too...but it wouldn't hurt if one of you gave it a try and see what happens...just sayin'
Invictcus is offline  
post #371 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictcus View Post

LCE??? Micro Dimming??? Some of you guys have D8000 sets...right? I read on a thread somewhere that LCE is always on...however, you can increase it's affect with Dynamic contrast...now...that might be a bunch of bull too...but it wouldn't hurt if one of you gave it a try and see what happens...just sayin'

Yeah, I tried the dynamic contrast... From what I saw it just looked like any other dynamic contrast setting in that it applied varying amounts of black crush depending on picture content, but it had no impact on the real MLL.
Still a great TV, but I can't believe they touted that feature in the way they did.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
Chad B is offline  
post #372 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spanbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Yeah, I tried the dynamic contrast... From what I saw it just looked like any other dynamic contrast setting in that it applied varying amounts of black crush depending on picture content, but it had no impact on the real MLL.
Still a great TV, but I can't believe they touted that feature in the way they did.

It's like everything we heard from Samsung at CES came from a parallel universe. Black levels are 4x what they claimed, Cinema smooth isn't fixed, there's no local contrast enhancer, the remote isn't touchscreen and the D8000 isn't silver. Hell, at this point someone ought to measure the 51" screen to be sure it isn't actually 50 inches.

I think Samsung just repackaged the C series and changed the letter to D.

Click here for my home theater setup
Spanbauer is offline  
post #373 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
hotskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Yeah, I tried the dynamic contrast... From what I saw it just looked like any other dynamic contrast setting in that it applied varying amounts of black crush depending on picture content, but it had no impact on the real MLL.
Still a great TV, but I can't believe they touted that feature in the way they did.

Thanks Chad.. Makes a easy choice when deciding between d7000 and d8000 now.
hotskins is offline  
post #374 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
 
cbnboy1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

It's like everything we heard from Samsung at CES came from a parallel universe. Black levels are 4x what they claimed, Cinema smooth isn't fixed, there's no local contrast enhancer, the remote isn't touchscreen and the D8000 isn't silver. Hell, at this point someone ought to measure the 51" screen to be sure it isn't actually 50 inches.

I think Samsung just repackaged the C series and changed the letter to D.

Buy the HX909 :-)
cbnboy1982 is offline  
post #375 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
^^^ I would not say all that, even a local dimming LED has PLENTY of issues. You watch, the larger Samsungs like last year, will have better black levels
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #376 of 5104 Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Calilife17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

It's like everything we heard from Samsung at CES came from a parallel universe. Black levels are 4x what they claimed, Cinema smooth isn't fixed, there's no local contrast enhancer, the remote isn't touchscreen and the D8000 isn't silver. Hell, at this point someone ought to measure the 51" screen to be sure it isn't actually 50 inches.

I think Samsung just repackaged the C series and changed the letter to D.

Actually funny you say that. the 51" is actually i believe 50.7 inch viewing size. Just like last year the 50" wasn't actually 50, it was 49.9 i think.

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
Calilife17 is offline  
post #377 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Member
 
Invictcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Yeah, I tried the dynamic contrast... From what I saw it just looked like any other dynamic contrast setting in that it applied varying amounts of black crush depending on picture content, but it had no impact on the real MLL.
Still a great TV, but I can't believe they touted that feature in the way they did.

Those Forking Iceholes!! :P

Thanks for the post Chad. I got one of the "64 D8000's on order, it'll be replacing a "50 TH-PZ85U. Last night, for the hell of it, I shut off all lighting and had the TV on with no input...wow! Talk about a glowing screen!! LOL!! Holly Crap! But ya know, when I watch content on the TV I often still tell myself how awesome the picture is! Now, maybe if my living room was a HT and very dark my opinion would be different. If my D8000 doesn't glow as much as my current set I'll be satisfied. 8 foot viewing distance...this is gonna be FUN!
Invictcus is offline  
post #378 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Member
 
david1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys well, have a few things to say. As you most know I own the pn58c8000 and also own the pn59d8000. My first thing is the pn59 is not as bright as my pn58. Colors much darker but good. My pn58 has a brighter picture both on same setting. Second this LCE **** is nuthin. No option for it I feel just a gimmick. Remote qwerty that's comes with p59 though usable very fat and heavy. Sucks that it's not universal cuz no matter what your always gonna have 2 controllers cuz u need to use keyboard on back of remote. Sound on pn59 sounds far away. On any setting. My friend has same tv and his is same way as I checked to make sure wasn't just my television. Personally I like the pn58c8000 better as far as picture. For as features like web and apps and whatever the pn59 is better.


I do have a question for everyone. Is it normal for slot of comercials to have black bars and or the comercial is a complete square on tv??
david1923 is offline  
post #379 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Member
 
david1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another question. Have cable box se to hdmi - 1080i but what should 4:3 override be set at 480i or 480p or stretch or off???
david1923 is offline  
post #380 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Member
 
turbo94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

Ok guys well, have a few things to say. As you most know I own the pn58c8000 and also own the pn59d8000. My first thing is the pn59 is not as bright as my pn58. Colors much darker but good. My pn58 has a brighter picture both on same setting. Second this LCE **** is nuthin. No option for it I feel just a gimmick. Remote qwerty that's comes with p59 though usable very fat and heavy. Sucks that it's not universal cuz no matter what your always gonna have 2 controllers cuz u need to use keyboard on back of remote. Sound on pn59 sounds far away. On any setting. My friend has same tv and his is same way as I checked to make sure wasn't just my television. Personally I like the pn58c8000 better as far as picture. For as features like web and apps and whatever the pn59 is better.


I do have a question for everyone. Is it normal for slot of comercials to have black bars and or the comercial is a complete square on tv??

Are the blacks better on the d8000? i was about to purchase the pn51d8000 but now that i hear that you like the picture better on the c8000 and i heard the d doesnt have mjc im thinking about actually buying the c8000. To answer your question about the commercials yes that is normal.
turbo94gt is offline  
post #381 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Member
 
david1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turbo, yes blacks are much better on the pn59d8000 but by blacks being better I feel that it makes the whole a little darker. If you like a darker picture than great tv for you. Also why do you think they got rid of the mjc I just don't understand. But to answer question blacks ten time better than pn58c8000
david1923 is offline  
post #382 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Erickson00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I feel a little dumb asking this, since I consider myself to be above average in terms of tech savvy, but I am wondering something...

Aren't these TV's supposed to upconvert all content to 1080P? Meaning, if a channel is broadcast in 720P, like ESPN, the TV will still display the content in 1080P? If so, why when I am changing channels does the resolution change for each channel? Is it just telling me what resolution is coming in, meanwhile it is converting it to 1080P? To complicate this further, I believe I have my AVR set to convert everything to 1080P, so the resolution in the top left corner of the screen should ALWAYS show 1920x1080, right?
Erickson00 is offline  
post #383 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Erickson00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

Turbo, yes blacks are much better on the pn59d8000 but by blacks being better I feel that it makes the whole a little darker. If you like a darker picture than great tv for you. Also why do you think they got rid of the mjc I just don't understand. But to answer question blacks ten time better than pn58c8000

Because the soap opera effect was/is ridiculous. It made everything worse, in my opinion. The only time I used it was to make my friends laugh at how awful it made everything look.
Erickson00 is offline  
post #384 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Member
 
david1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Erickson the reason why it looked funny cuz you turn it on only with fast movement like sports. I notice last night watching red wings game there was a lag cuz now no mjc function. My opinion they should of left it as a option. My opinion and I own both pn58c8000 and pn59d8000 besides the nice Internet smart tv options samsung dropped the ball on this tv. I notice also when in game mode and playing video games still a lag. Where the pn58c8000 no lag
david1923 is offline  
post #385 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like the D7000 is the one to buy. Very good pricing on them right now, and they really beat Panny to the punch on large screen availability.
ElwayLite is offline  
post #386 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Member
 
david1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question? If you are playing a video game against someone else let's say hockey and my set has a little lag does that mean the other persons set is faster and there for he can be quicker to the puck and better.
david1923 is offline  
post #387 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member
 
QZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S.E. PA
Posts: 5,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

Actually funny you say that. the 51" is actually i believe 50.7 inch viewing size. Just like last year the 50" wasn't actually 50, it was 49.9 i think.

Screen sizes go by 'classes'. All manufacturers have some of their TVs that measure less than the 'class' specification; they can round up from xx.5" to the next whole number. Example: 32" class LCDs are 31.5".

Plasma examples: Panasonic's and LG's 42" class plasmas for several years (at least) have been 41.6", respectively.
QZ1 is offline  
post #388 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Vicariously's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why do i get the feeling a thread by the name of "c8000 vs d8000" will show up soon?...
Vicariously is offline  
post #389 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

OK, I feel a little dumb asking this, since I consider myself to be above average in terms of tech savvy, but I am wondering something...

Aren't these TV's supposed to upconvert all content to 1080P? Meaning, if a channel is broadcast in 720P, like ESPN, the TV will still display the content in 1080P? If so, why when I am changing channels does the resolution change for each channel? Is it just telling me what resolution is coming in, meanwhile it is converting it to 1080P? To complicate this further, I believe I have my AVR set to convert everything to 1080P, so the resolution in the top left corner of the screen should ALWAYS show 1920x1080, right?

I'm glad you asked and would like to see this answered too.

sheshechic is offline  
post #390 of 5104 Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hudson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

OK, I feel a little dumb asking this, since I consider myself to be above average in terms of tech savvy, but I am wondering something...

Aren't these TV's supposed to upconvert all content to 1080P? Meaning, if a channel is broadcast in 720P, like ESPN, the TV will still display the content in 1080P? If so, why when I am changing channels does the resolution change for each channel? Is it just telling me what resolution is coming in, meanwhile it is converting it to 1080P? To complicate this further, I believe I have my AVR set to convert everything to 1080P, so the resolution in the top left corner of the screen should ALWAYS show 1920x1080, right?

I'm not an expert but this is my understanding of how TVs handle various formats:

The stated resolution on shown by the TV's info is the resolution of the broadcast signal it's receiving. That would be 720P for ABC, Fox, ESPN, etc. and 1080i for CBS, NBC, quite a few others. All digital televisions will scale the received signal to display on their native resolution monitors. That doesn't mean a signal from ABC or Fox magically gets transformed into 1080P but rather it's reprocessed so it can be displayed on all of the pixel possessed by the television. Similarly, a 1080i signal isn't magically transformed to 1080P but the pixel mapping would be 1:1... just displaying alternating lines every 1/60th of a second.

Likewise, if your AVR does some kind of upconverting then the television probably notes what the format is as it's being output from the AVR. But same as above, that doesn't mean the resolution of the original picture is "better".
Hudson1 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off