post #4501 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

There is absolutely positively no reason to be worried that the logic fbr firmware update will cause problems with the minimum black level.

I have heard of no such rumor. It must have been some misinformation that you read on the internet.

Larry

At first i thought my black levels and color were off but it ended up being the settings.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
like 75% of reviews post february 1st on amazon cite buzzing as a major issue with this set. I'm more confused than ever.
post #4503 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Wish me luck, was just at BestBuy now, setup the exchange to pick up and return my new Samsung 55" LED 8000, getting the PN59D8000 delivered Friday. I am just not satisfied with the LED after one week of ownership. Off angle viewing being terrible with washed out muted colors, and cloudy issues on dark scenes, and the sides of the screen you can see the lights coming off it, when the TV displays a solid color image. But I will say if you sit dead nuts exact center it gives a very bright and vibrant picture, looked really good on BluRay Pixar movies.

I also wanted a slightly larger TV too, 55" is a tad too small for my Great Room. Was debating on the 59" vs 64", but my custom built-in wall cabinet would almost barely fit the 64" Plasma model, but with only like 1/4" to maybe 1/2" clearance at the top, and just 2" total on the side, would have been a very tight fit, it would fit per the specs, but afraid that's too tight, won't allow the TV to get fresh air, or maybe scrape the top of TV getting it in there. Or would that be a nice look, and go for that larger set ?

The 59" will fit comfortably in there, with like 3" to spare on the top, and like 5" total on the side. At least the 59" size over my current 55" will hopefully be noticeable in size ?

Anything I need to do as soon as I get it setup ? Can I watch a BluRay that night right away ? Any settings you recommend ?
post #4504 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post

like 75% of reviews post february 1st on amazon cite buzzing as a major issue with this set. I'm more confused than ever.

I'm on my second pn59d8000 since Jan 30 from Amazon. Both buzz very directionally and can be heard from 20'. Not sure if I am going to send the second one back yet. Both have been October builds from Mexico.
post #4505 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM
RSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnapper7 View Post

I'm on my second pn59d8000 since Jan 30 from Amazon. Both buzz very directionally and can be heard from 20'. Not sure if I am going to send the second one back yet. Both have been October builds from Mexico.

I'm in the exact same boat except for the size, I have the 64. Second panel since 1/30 and both are buzzers, the second less so, but it has brightness pops. At least I can fix the pops and I could probably live with the buzz, but the wife is more sensitive to the sound and is struggling with it. I am seriously considering going with an LED instead.

I feel like we should start a support group for PNxxD8000 owners...actually I guess this forum counts.

RSN
post #4506 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthdingo View Post

Advid, thanks for the input

Will I be disappointed in the Plasma's lack of vibrant colors, because watching Pixar movies with my daughter the colors just pop off the screen, and the detail is extremely sharp and clear. Does the Plasma at least give that same crisp and detailed image ?

And what about the dreaded burn in ? I read about that and scares me.

And that Plasma screens are very fragile, and can break easily ?

The colors on this set is outstanding. And I have the 51 inch.
post #4507 of 5101 Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

There is absolutely positively no reason to be worried that the logic fbr firmware update will cause problems with the minimum black level.

I have heard of no such rumor. It must have been some misinformation that you read on the internet.

Larry

Right on,thanks bro!
post #4508 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSN View Post

I'm in the exact same boat except for the size, I have the 64. Second panel since 1/30 and both are buzzers, the second less so, but it has brightness pops. At least I can fix the pops and I could probably live with the buzz, but the wife is more sensitive to the sound and is struggling with it. I am seriously considering going with an LED instead.

I feel like we should start a support group for PNxxD8000 owners...actually I guess this forum counts.

RSN

I had the same problem with my set, just moving the ferrite cores around fixed 99% of the buzzing I was hearing from around 12 feet. I found that having one on the power cord near the tv, and then another around my speaker wires fixed my buzzing.
post #4509 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM
RSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by whilsmithe View Post

I had the same problem with my set, just moving the ferrite cores around fixed 99% of the buzzing I was hearing from around 12 feet. I found that having one on the power cord near the tv, and then another around my speaker wires fixed my buzzing.

Thanks, I played around with them, but it didn't seem to make an appreciable difference in the buzz. I'll try it again tonight with your suggestions.

I am also considering trying an acoustic panel or two on the wall behind the set since it sits on a console and is not wall mounted.

RSN
post #4510 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnapper7 View Post

I have the PN64D8000 with the same issues,1 month old,service has been out twice so far to put in a power supply and HDMI mother board,still have buzzing,Samsung has NO customer loyaly as far as giving me an exchange!
post #4511 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Can you elaborate on this? Did you remove the back panel?

Thanks.
post #4512 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Well I just upgraded to the 64" model, BestBuy will deliver Monday. My Samsung 55" LED I am exchanging was way to small for my Great Room / Kitchen. We sit back about 12', and from the Kitchen island we sometimes watch TV is about 18' away off on an angle.

Hope I am not making a mistake, going from the LED to Plasma ? I was just unhappy with the off angle viewing on the LED, and the cloudy picture on dark scenes, and watching Hockey games looked great on the LED, but almost too bright or blinding to my eyes, even on darker settings, the white was so bright at night time it almost hurt my eyes, had to squint for a second or so when the Hockey games come on.

Afraid of the buzzing sounds people are complaining about, and the pealing screen Crosses fingers I like this 64" Plasma over the 55" LED.
post #4513 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthdingo View Post

Well I just upgraded to the 64" model, BestBuy will deliver Monday. My Samsung 55" LED I am exchanging was way to small for my Great Room / Kitchen. We sit back about 12', and from the Kitchen island we sometimes watch TV is about 18' away off on an angle.

Hope I am not making a mistake, going from the LED to Plasma ? I was just unhappy with the off angle viewing on the LED, and the cloudy picture on dark scenes, and watching Hockey games looked great on the LED, but almost too bright or blinding to my eyes, even on darker settings, the white was so bright at night time it almost hurt my eyes, had to squint for a second or so when the Hockey games come on.

Afraid of the buzzing sounds people are complaining about, and the pealing screen Crosses fingers I like this 64" Plasma over the 55" LED.

You should be fine. The buzzing is directional and sounds like a ballast buzzing. Sounds like you have control over it. The guy that mentioned ferrite cores above probably had humming which is a totally different problem. And i think the peeling was from 7000 models. I dont know if it carried over to 8000 series.
post #4514 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

[quote=

Afraid of the buzzing sounds people are complaining about, and the pealing screen Crosses fingers I like this 64" Plasma over the 55" LED.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about the buzzing. I have a small amount but not noticeable at all even with the TV volume at 4 or 5. An all white screen (as in the opening scenes of "Fargo") will create more buzz but that is the extreme.
post #4515 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoop2much View Post

Just one question,I want to get the fbr firmware but I'm worried it will cause a loss in black level. Can anyone with the firmware confirm or debunk this rumor?

That rumor came from Janos' observations of the EU "fix" from months ago that was apparently botched. The new firmware has already been confirmed to cause no such problem.

Quote:

Ferrites will absolutely not stop the mechanical buzzing/high freq noise that comes off the panel, that noise is simply luck of the draw. You probably had some kind of RFI problem where your sound system was picking up noise from the TV power supply (this is a SMPS that is VERY noisy in some parts of the radio band). Ferrites can limit the amount of RFI noise radiated from the power cord, or picked up by your speaker wire.
post #4516 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't updated the firmware on my set yet. I haven't felt the need to, but I'll be sure to check it out before I move...
post #4517 of 5101 Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Can anyone else that purchased this set fairly recently comment on the buzzing issue? I think I'm just gonna go ahead and buy this set because it seems like the best option for picture.

I am going to be watching it from about 12 feet or less and have very sensitive ears, will even general plasma buzzing bother me? Thanks.
post #4518 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:

Can anyone else that purchased this set fairly recently comment on the buzzing issue? I think I'm just gonna go ahead and buy this set because it seems like the best option for picture.

I am going to be watching it from about 12 feet or less and have very sensitive ears, will even general plasma buzzing bother me? Thanks.

I hear it at7-8 feet, but only when sound is muted. IMHO, it's not a big deal.
post #4519 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have posted above several times that I an NOT having any of the issues discussed here. I have the Sammy 51D8000. I really love this TV.
post #4520 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM
RSN

Quote:

I bought my original 64D8000 on 1/30 from BB - it buzzed loudly enough that we could hear it from 14' away during normal dialoge. Received a replacement set on 2/7 and it buzzes to a lesser degree. I could live with it, but the wife cannot. Damn oversensitive hearing.

I am likely trading it out for a 65VT30 from BB who is selling it to me at cost which will be another $200.

To be clear - I love everything about the 64D8000, picture, features and design - I am making this decision based solely on what my wife can live with. Without the buzzing, it is an outstanding set and it would have stayed.

RSN
post #4521 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackrat View Post

I have posted above several times that I an NOT having any of the issues discussed here. I have the Sammy 51D8000. I really love this TV.

No buzzing at all? Thats awesome. Mine buzzes a little bit, especially bright screens. Only really noticed during break in slides. Other tban that it is inaudible with any kind of volume in the room. I tried a 58b6500 a couple of years ago and the buzzing was so bad it made me and gf at the time eardrums feel like bugs crawling in ears even at high volume. It was terrible. But yeah i have the same tv as you and it is very nice.
post #4522 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 AM

For those people on the fence about purchasing this TV, I wanted them to know that I have 64d8000 July build and have had zero problems. No Buzz, no peeling, and if there are any brightness pops I don't see them. I do have a HTPC connected and when I am browsing the web I do see changes in the brightness as I change screens. I have a power conditioner connected to all of my components, I am not sure if this helps with buzzing or not. If I put my ear to the back of the TV I can hear a faint buzz inside the TV but at 2 inches away no buzz.

I think everyone needs keep in mind that for the most part people that have no problems do not post on this sight. There have to be millions of these sets on the market that do not have any of these problems and the small percentage that do is what you see on this forum.

As long as a person understands what they are getting when they buy a plasma instead of a lcd I think this TV is as good or better than anything out there right now.

David
post #4523 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

I bought my original 64D8000 on 1/30 from BB - it buzzed loudly enough that we could hear it from 14' away during normal dialoge. Received a replacement set on 2/7 and it buzzes to a lesser degree. I could live with it, but the wife cannot. Damn oversensitive hearing.

I am likely trading it out for a 65VT30 from BB who is selling it to me at cost which will be another $200.

To be clear - I love everything about the 64D8000, picture, features and design - I am making this decision based solely on what my wife can live with. Without the buzzing, it is an outstanding set and it would have stayed.

RSN

What if the Panasonic buzzes? Why not just make BB find a D8000 in their stock that doesn't buzz?

post #4524 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
RSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

What if the Panasonic buzzes? Why not just make BB find a D8000 in their stock that doesn't buzz?

They don't have any in stock, they have to be shipped to me.

If the Panny buzzes, I think I may just have to go the LED route which stinks for both PQ and my wallet. I would likely have to go with the 60NX720 which I can get at the same price point as the 64"/65" plasmas.

This is more a WAF issue than anything else. The things we do for love.

RSN
post #4525 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:

In general women hear a wider range of frequencies than men. On the other hand it seems to be men who are most interested in the "quality" of reproduced audio.
post #4526 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Biting my nails and holding my breath I get a good quality PN64D8000 on Monday when BB delivers. Hope I like this much more than my UN55D8000 LED I am exchanging.
post #4527 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM

For what it's worth I have a 64D8000 August 2011 build and it does not buzz at all.... I sit about 10-11' back from it, dead center and even with Sound off there is no buzz.

I had bad brightness fluctuations with DirecTV but requested software update from Samsung, took about 10 days to come in mail... Installed last night and I'll be damned if it didn't work. Not one fluctuation in 3-4 hours of TV shows. The Walking Dead was always terrible with the fluctuations and I made it through the whole episode perfectly!

I was a bit nervous to use the downloads on here to upgrade, but Samsung got it done fairly quickly... Good luck to everyone else!
post #4528 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They don't have any in stock, they have to be shipped to me.

If the Panny buzzes, I think I may just have to go the LED route which stinks for both PQ and my wallet. I would likely have to go with the 60NX720 which I can get at the same price point as the 64"/65" plasmas.

RSN

I would have returned my D8000 if it had buzzed...that's a deal killer just as any defect would have been for that price. I assume most don't have issues, but when people get two in a row that buzz gotta wonder if they come in batches or something (and think there's one or two in this thread who had three in a row!).

Recently I moved some equipment around for some cleaning and the next time I sat down to watch....buzzing! However, it turned out to be coming from my center speaker (which is why it sounded like the tv at first) and turned out actually be caused by my amp; turned that on and off and away it went (old amp, but first time I'd heard any noise from it).

post #4529 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
RSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I would have returned my D8000 if it had buzzed...that's a deal killer just as any defect would have been for that price. I assume most don't have issues, but when people get two in a row that buzz gotta wonder if they come in batches or something (and think there's one or two in this thread who had three in a row!).

Recently I moved some equipment around for some cleaning and the next time I sat down to watch....buzzing! However, it turned out to be coming from my center speaker (which is why it sounded like the tv at first) and turned out actually be caused by my amp; turned that on and off and away it went (old amp, but first time I'd heard any noise from it).

That is essentially my take too. I was really disappointed when the second one came and had the same issue. Do I keep sending them back until I get a "good" one? How many days off from work can the average person take to take delivery of a new set, hoping it will be ok this time?

This buzz is definitely the set and not any of my other audio or visual components.

Such a good picture...such a pain in the ass.

RSN
post #4530 of 5101 Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is essentially my take too. I was really disappointed when the second one came and had the same issue. Do I keep sending them back until I get a "good" one? How many days off from work can the average person take to take delivery of a new set, hoping it will be ok this time?

This buzz is definitely the set and not any of my other audio or visual components.

Such a good picture...such a pain in the ass.

RSN

I bought from BB so I had good return options; my general experience with electronics is that if they don't exhibit problems in the first few weeks, they're going to be fine for the long run. I had actually started with an LCD Samsung, but flashlighting/clouding drove me nuts. On hearing it'd take a few days before they could come and swap, I somehow boxed up a 60" on my own, dragged it up the stairs to my truck and swapped it at BB the next day after I decided to get rid of the LCD; then got the new one back down the stairs, unboxed and up and running in a few hours all by myself (I had the fever...I just couldn't wait nor did I want to take a whole day off to wait for the truck).

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page