Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 View Post

Just played a little halo with game mode on and off. There might be a lag decrease by using it but definitely not the big gap that I saw in the C8000. This tv has a faster standard setting in my opinion. Both were probably equal in game mode. By equal I mean good.

Good to hear pato79...at the very least the D series seem about equivalent to the C series; that is a good thing. I think after firmware updates the D will be quicker, but I appreciate your observation as it further seperates myth from fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

Good to hear pato79...at the very least the D series seem about equivalent to the C series; that is a good thing. I think after firmware updates the D will be quicker, but I appreciate your observation as it further seperates myth from fact.

I don't know how to compare black levels but I can tell you that this 51 D8000 vs the 51C8000 I had a few months ago Is a definite improvement. I have only seen one 3D movie on the D 8000 (wild ocean) I can report zero cross talk, and zero sync issues. I saw the shrek movies on the D7000 and had both of those issues with those films. I also had some blinking issues with espn 3D on the C7000 which may have been a uverse issue. Netflix seems to have been improved although I use the x360 for it so non issue for me. Also neither one of my sets had the buzzing issue but if you are obsessed with quiet then I could hear a slight buzz from about a foot from the C7000 and about 3 inches from the C8000.

**one more thing: I had the C7000 on the cnet settings and it was a great picture improvement over the quality out of the box. Hopefully we will get some D8000 settings soon.
post #453 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I don't know how to compare black levels but I can tell you that this 51 D8000 vs the 51C8000 I had a few months ago Is a definite improvement. I have only seen one 3D movie on the D 8000 (wild ocean) I can report zero cross talk, and zero sync issues. I saw the shrek movies on the D7000 and had both of those issues with those films. I also had some blinking issues with espn 3D on the C7000 which may have been a uverse issue. Netflix seems to have been improved although I use the x360 for it so non issue for me. Also neither one of my sets had the buzzing issue but if you are obsessed with quiet then I could hear a slight buzz from about a foot from the C7000 and about 3 inches from the C8000.

**one more thing: I had the C7000 on the cnet settings and it was a great picture improvement over the quality out of the box. Hopefully we will get some D8000 settings soon.

Thanks for the response;
Black levels compared in a pitch black room would tell a lot. I can tell you with minimal light, the real black filter on my c8000 makes the picture look pitch black, so a no light situation is what is required to see if there is a distinct difference between the "C" and "D" models. My buzz from my set has never bothered me, so that is a non-issue. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to more input as time goes on.
post #454 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

^ If you get 16 ms in relax mode (already tested), i doubt game mode will be worse than that. Even if that happened, you can simply switch to relax mode, which is easier. That david dude sounds to be a very confused person. =s

Thanks for the info Vicariously. Yeah, now that you mention it I think I remember reading that before as well somewhere but I was focusing a lot on the D7000 before I ordered the D8000 and I forgot where I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy0brown View Post

I have been playing KZ3 in 3D side I got it last week and it is unreal. As I indicated previously, I am not a super-tech but I know what looks good. I am playing in movie mode and I do not use the special "game" setting on the TV since the manual says there would be some picture quality degradation in that setting. I have noticed no lag in more than 6 hours of Play on KZ3 or 2 hours of play in Crysis 2 on the 360.

Do yourself a favor and use the sharp shooter controller in combination with the move controllers. It will take you about 30 minutes to get used to but it is the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had. One more piece of advice, turn the sensitivity down to zero until you get used to it or you'll go crazy.

That is good to hear about not noticing any lag. On the C7000 I played in game mode, and yes it did give the picture a bit too much contrast and colors were off but I lowered the cell light/contrast a bit and changed to warm 2 etc and it looked much better than when first applying it. I played KZ3 on the C7000 in 3D (But when I played in 3D I did put it back in movie mode because 3D mode already brightens the picture a lot and stacked with game mode the colors were off even more.) and liked how it looked but there is a lot going on in that game sometimes, and it gets pretty intense visually in 3D. It was almost a bit overwhelming at first. I am sure it looks even better on the D8000. I loved the way Stardust HD 3D, Wipeout HD 3D, Motorstorm Pacific Rift 3D, and even the new MK Demo looked in 3D. Motorstorm looked really sweet. I thought they did a pretty good job of implementing 3D. You should download the demo and try it. Also on PSN they have a lot of vids to DL in 3D as well for free. Some are only previews but they look really cool. I do have the move and considered getting the gun. I bet its fun.

I have Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D and will compare to what I remember from the C7000. The movie looked really nice in 3D on that TV.

Something else that excites me is when I saw how nice Despicible Me looked on the 6500 and the 2D to 3D was working pretty well (since the TV in fry's wasn't playing the 3D version I changed to the 2D to 3D mode.) But in regular 2D as well it looked amazing. I know it's a kid's movie etc but it sure looked gorgeous on that screen. I saw it in theatre in 3D with my girlfriend and I thought it looked much better on the plasma.

Quote:

Just played a little halo with game mode on and off. There might be a lag decrease by using it but definitely not the big gap that I saw in the C8000. This tv has a faster standard setting in my opinion. Both were probably equal in game mode. By equal I mean good.

Thanks for sharing your experience pato79. Good to hear.
post #455 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post

Yes Yes the C8000 is the ideal tv we get it

The reason I said what I said regarding Dolby Digital and DTS pass through is because I am hoping to get my C8000 replaced by a D8000 under warranty to get rid of the blink issue. According to you, it sounds like I would be replacing one problem with another.
post #456 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Any ideas when the professional reviews will be out, June maybe?
post #457 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 515
post #458 of 5101 Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ On the PN51D8000 Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here. The bigger sizes will be very soon......within 2 weeks I hope.

This is a very good and necessary thing as we have speculation and generalizations at this point. I cant wait to get another professional review after all of the crazy info posted. I still love my C8000, but I am interested to see the calibrators professional opinion of the 59 or 64 "D" series at this point.
post #459 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 AM

I'm just getting annoyed with Samsung EU, they have barely released anything here, only the fake LED D8000 which actually is an american D7000 since it's stripped of some hardware. Barely any Plasma's, well none I think, I'm growing so impatient.

Would it be that expensive to import one from the US?
post #460 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaGPL View Post

Are you sure it doesn't pass Dolby 5.1 when using digital optical out from the TV to your receiver. My 5 year old Samsung DLP passed 5.1; and I've got the 64D8000 coming tomorrow. I just assumed it would pass Dolby Digital 5.1.

I found it in the manual: directly from the manual:
"When the receiver(home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the tv's optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD player / Blu-ray player/ Cable box / STB sat. receiver and you connected it to the TV via HDMI, you will only hear 2 CH audio from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD/Blu-ray player directly to an amplifier or home theater."
So, the only 5.1 audio you get from the digital out of the TV is over the air only and if the station is broadcasting 5.1.

drkashner
post #461 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkashner View Post

"When the receiver(home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the tv's optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD player / Blu-ray player/ Cable box / STB sat. receiver and you connected it to the TV via HDMI, you will only hear 2 CH audio from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD/Blu-ray player directly to an amplifier or home theater."
So, the only 5.1 audio you get from the digital out of the TV is over the air only and if the station is broadcasting 5.1.

What about if you take advantage of the ARC? Is it still just stereo sound?
post #462 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iButterfingers View Post

Okay .. I have to say it ... There has been so much talk about the "ugly" stand and how terrible it looks. REALY?? I'll tel ya what is terrible looking, is having a very nice TV on any type of stand. HANG THAT BAD BOY!!!!!
The stand is irrelevant for the flat screen TV's of today and are better looking on the wall then on some cheap IKEA made TV stand. Sure, if you need something for your entertainment components, so then have something sleek and minimal for the real treat is the niceness of the flat screen ageist the wall.

Just my 2 cents

Agreed. I think it looks tacky having such a large TV on a stand/console of any size, but especially one that isn't even as wide as the plasma itself. It's not hard to get it mounted to a wall, and you can get a very good slim mount at Monoprice for less than $20 shipped. I realize this might not be a possibility for some people, but if it is, in my opinion, a wall-mounted TV should be the standard, not the exception. These plasma displays are works of art! The stand is a complete non-issue for me.
post #463 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkashner View Post

I wonder what the output is when you have an internet source (Netflix, VuDu, streaming media, etc.) I would assume it's 5.1 since there's no other option to get your sound out of the TV (except ARC which I can't make use of)
post #464 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

Xander,
I think this is an obstinate statement to make based on the data provided. I own a C8000 and love it! It does not mean I would not enjoy a D series plasma, I just need more definitive data that it would be an upgrade from my current set up. I certainly hope and would like clarification that the 2011 models are a better choice for consumers, at this point based on consumers feedback it seems to be a mixed bag.

Its 1" bigger! Definate upgrade!

Seriosuly though, how is the line bleed compared to the C series? anything done with regard to that?
post #465 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraG_AU View Post

Its 1" bigger! Definate upgrade!

Seriosuly though, how is the line bleed compared to the C series? anything done with regard to that?

Frag_AU, you sir are correct; I forgot about the extra inch! Any time one can add inches it is a good thing.
I believe in the Koffas D7000 thread it was stated line bleed is still there, but appears to be slightly less. Line bleed from my understanding has always been a part of plasma tech (even kuros had it). I have read about panel variability with regard to this, so I think it is the panel you receive more than a "D" series thing. When contrast and brightness are set correctly I feel it does a good job of making this almost a non-issue (at least on my C8000).
post #466 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

I absolutely love this TV. The dark bezel looks incredible in person. My HH GREG had it set up next to a VT25 and aesthetically, there is no comparison between the two. The panasonic looks like it was mad 10 years ago when set up next to the Samsung. Clearly the PQ is what matters though and I can't comment on this since the samsung was running a dvd and the panasonic was on Sportscenter. What I saw of the D8000 looked very good though.
Unfortunately it's all moot for me though since I already purchased a Yamaha YSP2200 soundbar and it won't fit over the base of the D8000 so I will most likely be waiting for the D7000. Also, the sales guy was convinced that the VT25s PQ was still far superior to the D8000 but I was not able to confirm this. I'm pretty sure that my ignorant eyes would be very happy with the PQ of either.
post #467 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Also, the sales guy was convinced that the VT25s PQ was still far superior to the D8000

You know it's time to call bs when someone says this. All subjectivity annulled, one or the other would be superior, but FAR superior is fanboy talk. I wish the vt30 was in my price range, so i could sleep well at night knowing i could get either depending on preference.
post #468 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

You know it's time to call bs when someone says this. All subjectivity annulled, one or the other would be superior, but FAR superior is fanboy talk. I wish the vt30 was in my price range, so i could sleep well at night knowing i could get either depending on preference.

Exactly. Not to mention he told me to make him an offer on the VT25 since it was discontinued and was an open box special. How much more is the VT30 expected to cost when compared to the D8000?
post #469 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

Agreed. I think it looks tacky having such a large TV on a stand/console of any size, but especially one that isn't even as wide as the plasma itself. It's not hard to get it mounted to a wall, and you can get a very good slim mount at Monoprice for less than $20 shipped. I realize this might not be a possibility for some people, but if it is, in my opinion, a wall-mounted TV should be the standard, not the exception. These plasma displays are works of art! The stand is a complete non-issue for me.

Wall mounting is not always ideal. In my case I have one of those large television nooks that they were putting into newer homes for a period of about 10 years.

I would either have to completely remodel and refinish that space to make wall mounting ideal, or I would have to put a wall mount in and then crane the TV forward a few feet to get it flesh with the rest of the stuff that is in there.

At the end of the day I just opted to get a super sweet solid cherry cabinet from standoutdesigns. It is at least a few inches wider than a 65" TV so I don't anticipate it looking especially tacky but obviously opinions diverge on this subject.
post #470 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM

I have 2 main issues with wall mounting.

1. I can't seem to find someone who will do it the correct way (relocating the power outlet)

2. I still need to find a place for my components and speaker bar which was designed to fit over the base of the TV.

Also, I find alot of people get there TVs mounted WAY too high whereas on the entertainment center the height is near perfect.

Just my thoughts.
post #471 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 PM

some HD... videos... or...photos... pl..ease......

I will grow old and die waiting for this tv (EU)
post #472 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:

How much more is the VT30 expected to cost when compared to the D8000?

I'm also wondering about that. It appears that the price gap won't be as big this year, but it might be big enough. Pricing in Europe varies, and within Europe, as well, so i hope i can afford either one with a little more saving. But i don't know if i can wait till May/June to find out... Even though it'd be wise to wait till the vt30 is, at least, out.
post #473 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
so the D series 7000 & 8000 are on par with the C series of last year and vt tvs
post #474 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Exactly. Not to mention he told me to make him an offer on the VT25 since it was discontinued and was an open box special. How much more is the VT30 expected to cost when compared to the D8000?

Panasonic are actively price controlling the VT30 in NA, disallowing any authorized online sells, and likely limiting production runs. Samsung are not doing this with the D8000's AFAIK, so the real world cost difference between the two will be far greater than the MSRP's suggest.
post #475 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Panasonic are actively price controlling the VT30 in NA, disallowing any authorized online sells, and likely limiting production runs. Samsung are not doing this with the D8000's AFAIK, so the real world cost difference between the two will be far greater than the MSRP's suggest.

Except if you live in Europe, where we get twice the size choices and more calibration modes, and a (supposed; still unverified) 600-700 toss in prize, relative to last year. The Vt30 is rumored to be cheaper than a discounted vt25 (same size, ofc).
post #476 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM

my first plasma tv. got it yesterday. largest tv set i've ever owned. version # i101. mfg march 2011, tijuana, mx. will add impressions later.

post #477 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have a lot of model nos in your thread. Just want to confirm that you are comparing a D8000 to last years model or the D7000? I thought besides the LCE which seems non-existant right now, the D7000 and the D8000 were the same, no?
post #478 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Man, why did they have to ruin that TV with the awful stand. Can you put a D7000 stand to a D8000?
post #479 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Man, why did they have to ruin that TV with the awful stand. Can you put a D7000 stand to a D8000?

I agree completely. Whoever designed that stand should be fired.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #480 of 5101 Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet01 View Post

my first plasma tv. got it yesterday. largest tv set i've ever owned. version # i101. mfg march 2011, tijuana, mx. will add impressions later.

nice pics

anyone know what the measurements of the stand are (especially the width from back to front)?...looks like it takes up a lot more space then the TV itself and might be tight squeeze on some TV stands
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page