Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 5119 Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Yami, for the time being, you can enable cinema smooth when watching blurays to prevent brightness fluctuations in the letterbox. The FBr fix firmware from Samsung can also reduce or eliminate the problem (if you can install it).

Just a reminder to all - letterboxing (widescreen content) or pillarboxing (4:3 content) has never been shown to cause burn in on the D series plasmas AFAIK.

How about uneven phosphor aging?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5119 Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Sure, but my statement assumes a mix of source material (which is a reasonable assumption IMO). Where is the evidence of letterbox burn on a D?
post #4773 of 5119 Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i dont mean to be rude,but if you primarily view 4:3 sd material why even bother with a high end hdtv at all?

if you mostly watch sd,and occasionally view hd material your better off getting a cheap vizio led from walmart.

post #4774 of 5119 Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V. View Post

Picture quality is a subjective issue. For my taste, dynamic mode, cell light 20, contrast 80, brightness 50, sharpness 60, color 55.

Professional calibration is not in my current budget.
I agree that logic dictates the cable signal being the variant given the tv's overall great HD picture.

Thanks for your reply.

your settings are hurting my brain!
post #4775 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoop2much View Post

... if you primarily view 4:3 sd material why even bother with a high end hdtv at all?

Your definition of what is appropriate for owners of HDTV displays seems a little narrow to me.

People who have a big interest in the movies and drama watch outstanding films from all periods. The Criterion version of "The Third Man" is well worth the best display available. On the other hand there are some BD movies that are pure crap.

We have an 8G Kuro display that's been calibrated by UMR who also calibrated our mid range audio system. For us that investment has been paying off for over four years in outstanding BD movies, SD DVD movies (from OPPO BDP-83/93 players), and a lot of sports -- mostly football and hockey, but some baseball and the occasional Olympic year. We do watch pretty much only HDTV.

I hope that answers your question, at least as it applies to a very large number of people who spend time at AVS.

Quote:
if you mostly watch sd,and occasionally view hd material your better off getting a cheap vizio led from walmart.

Now that might be a little rude.
post #4776 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I watch a ton of blu-ray movies, use my PS3 regularly, and have direct tv and all those high def channels. I'm almost always using HD. However, when using my PS3, I play PS1 and PS2 games, and obviously to preserve the aspect ratio of the game, I leave it in 4:3. Same for some DVDs like my Dragon Box collection of the anime Dragon Ball, and other similar DVDs, which preserve the aspect ratio. Strangely, when viewing DVDs or PS1/PS2 games in 4:3 on the PS3, the side bars are black (not light grey).

So the bars on bottom or sides have never caused burn-in? Simply uneven aging or whatever? I've been thinking if I marathoned a PS2 or DVD game i'd have permanent black bars. As for the buzzing, it has persisted and it appears I simply got unlucky and received one of the louder ones. Perhaps I might keep it... I'm pretty unsure now... I do watch news a lot, and almost every channel has some static image (logos, tickers). Games also have displays like HP, etc. I figured it'll cost more but maybe in the long run the LEDs in the D8000 series will suit me better (I don't really watch sports)
post #4777 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Stop worrying about it. Just enjoy the TV. We play games on my c550 which shows IR. It seems that it gets bothered more by static images than it does black bars and disappears in under 60 seconds when switching to another source. I have not noticed any IR on the D8000 yet. If you are really worried about it, then leave the pixel orbiter on.
My old CRT RP had burn in from side black bars, but this is from what would be considered an extreme circumstance now. I thanked the lack of HD TV in the apartment we were in. As soon as I started noticing the bars I had to stretch everything.
post #4778 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post

what happened at best buy

About a month ago, they were selling the 64D8000 for $2,499! That's when I jumped since they were within about $50 of Amazon and offered 3 years interest free financing. Can't beat that.

Ford Mustangs and the San Diego Chargers. What else is there?
post #4779 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiJustin View Post

Well I watch a ton of blu-ray movies, use my PS3 regularly, and have direct tv and all those high def channels. I'm almost always using HD. However, when using my PS3, I play PS1 and PS2 games, and obviously to preserve the aspect ratio of the game, I leave it in 4:3. Same for some DVDs like my Dragon Box collection of the anime Dragon Ball, and other similar DVDs, which preserve the aspect ratio. Strangely, when viewing DVDs or PS1/PS2 games in 4:3 on the PS3, the side bars are black (not light grey).

So the bars on bottom or sides have never caused burn-in? Simply uneven aging or whatever? I've been thinking if I marathoned a PS2 or DVD game i'd have permanent black bars. As for the buzzing, it has persisted and it appears I simply got unlucky and received one of the louder ones. Perhaps I might keep it... I'm pretty unsure now... I do watch news a lot, and almost every channel has some static image (logos, tickers). Games also have displays like HP, etc. I figured it'll cost more but maybe in the long run the LEDs in the D8000 series will suit me better (I don't really watch sports)

The reason your 4:3 bars are black and not grey is because they are added by your PS3 and not by your TV, it's when the TV addes them that they become grey by default.
post #4780 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Sure, but my statement assumes a mix of source material (which is a reasonable assumption IMO). Where is the evidence of letterbox burn on a D?

Well, in part it could simply be they haven't been around long enough. May be a non-issue altogether, I was just throwin' that out there as a possible risk of too much side/top/bottom bar material. Assuming black rather than grey, too.
post #4781 of 5119 Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM

How is grey bars that much different from black burns in terms of IR or burn in? The samsung warranty sheet says to refrain from bars on the side like 4:3, and I'd assume it applies to bars on top and bottom. Almost all blu-rays have that bars on the top and bottom
post #4782 of 5119 Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiJustin View Post

How is grey bars that much different from black burns in terms of IR or burn in? The samsung warranty sheet says to refrain from bars on the side like 4:3, and I'd assume it applies to bars on top and bottom. Almost all blu-rays have that bars on the top and bottom

Go to Wikipedia and read about movie aspect ratios. The black bars you see on your 16x9 ( which is an aspect ratio of 1.78:1) are determined by the aspect ratio of the film you are watching. Movies were all 4x3 (aspect ratio 1.33:1) before the early 1950s. HDTV broadcasts are all 16x9 (AR of 1.78:1) and will exactly fill the screen. A larger aspect ratio will result in black bars top and bottom.

Black bars simply mean that portion of the screen is not aging as fast as the rest of the screen. Watching a mixture of aspect ratio sources will help the screen age evenly. There is a little aging with gray bars which reduces the difference (a little) between the image and the bars. A lot of people prefer black bars because it make you less aware of their presence in a dim lit room. I watch all aspect ratios with black bars, and because there is enough variety in what we watch, there is no sign of uneven aging after over four years of viewing. Just enjoy your display.
post #4783 of 5119 Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Thank you for the info, it was very informative. And I apologize if I sound annoying but I am extremely undecided now on what to do. It ultimately comes down to 2 things: buzz noise, and potential for burn-in (even if the potential is low). As for the buzzing noise, I haven't had samsung look at it yet, because I'm unsure if there is anything they could or would do.. if its simply one of the very loud panels, what would they do? I read you get slapped with a fee if they deem the product not defective. And again about the burn-in, maybe the black bars are not that big an issue, but again we return to the issue of me watching a lot of news or shows with a constant logo or tick, and sometimes when gaming for 10's of hours there will constantly be images or text displayed. I figured if I got rid of this I'd go to the LED, but that one apparently has uniformity issues... ugh. The TV is already in the box, so nothing is final yet. I haven't tried the Cinema Smooth option yet so idk how that affected the brightness pops. As for a firmware fix: it was on the latest firmware when I noticed the odd brightness rising/decreasing. Thanks again for all the replies I know I'm paranoid about issues with this TV. It's a big investment for me.
post #4784 of 5119 Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yami, given these viewing patterns (long duration gaming, news/sports channels) I think many people would suggest you steer clear of plasma. While the latest generation of plasmas are more resistant, there are still plenty of reports of burn-in on D series sets resulting from these sources (but not from letter/pillarboxing AFAIK). Plasma is tough to beat in picture quality, but it comes with a price I suppose. Still, my impression is if you can mix it up a bit, you should be ok.
post #4785 of 5119 Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM

The samsung tech guy arrived today and said the buzzing is normal.. although he acknowledged he could hear it far away from the TV when on normal volume or during quiet scenes. The noise was less when I viewed the TV in my living room instead of my bedroom. But since its going to be placed in my room its a deal breaker. I'll be returning it and likely trying the Un55d8000. I hope the picture quality is comparable. Because of my viewing habits I can at least be at ease that there will be no burn-in, but it sucks that I really enjoyed the picture quality of that plasma
post #4786 of 5119 Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Bought a 59 a few weeks ago. I found the buzzing to be intolerable. As noted by many, it's that directional staticy buzz emanating from the center of the screen and shooting straight out. The installers (a local a/v company) said they'd never heard one of these TVs with this issue. Could be it was never brought to their attention, but they were surprised at how noticeable it was.

Called Samsung and of course was told that all plasmas buzz. Having had several plasmas over the years, that's demonstrably false. Not like this they don't. That's not to say that the newer ones don't to some extent, but this is pretty bad.

A useless tech came out yesterday and refused to even position himself in front of the TV to hear the problem. He made some excuses about high wattage and I showed him the door. Called to complain to Samsung and requested that new techs from a different company come out. They sent two guys today. The guys acknowledged the noise and began to troubleshoot. They took the back off, did some soldering, some listening, some tightening, for probably an hour. Unfortunately it didn't help. They took the TV back to their shop for further troubleshooting. I'm not holding my breath, but at least they are doing something, unlike the first tech, and unlike Samsung at this point.

I'll report back on their success in resolving this issue. I sure hope they can, because the TV is really beautiful.
post #4787 of 5119 Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darien87 View Post

About a month ago, they were selling the 64D8000 for $2,499! That's when I jumped since they were within about $50 of Amazon and offered 3 years interest free financing. Can't beat that.

What is the build date of your Sammy? I went with the same promo back in December and I have a June build and I have already had the panel replaced due to screen peel.
post #4788 of 5119 Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Does anyone have a TV stand for a PN59D8000 they want to get rid of?

I had my display wall mounted and threw out the stand, thinking I would never need it. (I'm not much of a hoarder - so purging something that was taking up garage space seemed like a good idea at the time). Well, I just got relocated for my job and now am in a rental home that I don't want to wall mount my TV. I've searched ebay for a stand, but no luck.

So, anyone that wall mounts their display but is still hoarding their stand want to give it up?

PM me if you want a fair price for it.

Thanks
post #4789 of 5119 Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izoard View Post

Does anyone have a TV stand for a PN59D8000 they want to get rid of?

I had my display wall mounted and threw out the stand, thinking I would never need it. (I'm not much of a hoarder - so purging something that was taking up garage space seemed like a good idea at the time). Well, I just got relocated for my job and now am in a rental home that I don't want to wall mount my TV. I've searched ebay for a stand, but no luck.

So, anyone that wall mounts their display but is still hoarding their stand want to give it up?

PM me if you want a fair price for it.

Thanks

Sorry, still using mine. But thinking of all those that go back to Best Buy and other retailers after wall mounting...try them. Also have seen them for sale on Ebay. I actually would prefer the pedestal stand from the previous iteration of stand...
post #4790 of 5119 Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

My PN64D8000 just arrived , I only had about 5 minutes to look at it before I had to leave. There is no peeling anywhere I could see , and absolutely NO BUZZING , anywhere , not even if I put my ear up to the back . My last plasma , a PN42C450 , had a slight buzz if you really listened for it , I can't detect any at all from this set , which is a huge relief considering the mass paranoia about buzzing panels around here. I can't wait to get home this evening and get it all set up and playing , with some good picture settings.........
post #4791 of 5119 Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by darien87 View Post

Oh yes you can

If you were fortunate to catch the blowout that Frys electronics did this last week on several models..the 64D8000 was about 50% of that price you mentioned
I saw it blogged on a website I read...I looked online and sure enough it was in stock

I went to BB and asked for a price match..they were already sold out with just the floor display left for just about 10% less than what you mentioned

I told him about Frys and he said they were losing about $700-800 per Tv at their price

I said outstanding!!!...so

I drove to Frys and got the last one

I wasn't even planning on buying a new TV as I have a 58C8000 I bought last year

But for 50% off BB's clearance price..I had to buy the 64D8000 and my 58C8000 is going on Craigs list

Those deals at frys were insane....the D7000 and D8000 series were( and still are if any inventory is left) about 1/3 of MSRP

In store only...for those that are on the west coast..Chicago..Indianapolis..Atlanta Or Texas

Bunch of other deals there as well...Some Samsung LCD/Led deals and the Panny ST30 is at a firesale price as well

quick question

Settings....does anyone have both C8000 and D8000?

Same settings..or are there some favorite that you guys have here?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Hisense H50C Yamaha A2050 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Panasonic 50ST50 Denon4520 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 51E8000 Sony DA5400ES Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #4792 of 5119 Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Oh yes you can

quick question

Warren

Home Theater Magazine reviewed the 59D8000 in the December 2011 issue. Their settings are or were on their website. I am using them on my 51 incher with just a few minor changes to fit my personal taste. I as well got a super deal from Frys on my set when new. Let us know what you think and good luck. I love my D8000 and have not had any issues. Good Luck
post #4793 of 5119 Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks..I will take a look at their website

I went ahead and purchased the 5 year warranty ...though my visa card that I bought the TV with...its was about 1/3 of the price that Fry's was...lol

So...its time for Craigs list for my 58C8000 ...and I need to go out and get some of the newer blue tooth 3D Samsung glasses...as I know the 4 pair I have will not work with this TV

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
post #4794 of 5119 Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy275 View Post

Bought a 59 a few weeks ago. I found the buzzing to be intolerable. As noted by many, it's that directional staticy buzz emanating from the center of the screen and shooting straight out. The installers (a local a/v company) said they'd never heard one of these TVs with this issue. Could be it was never brought to their attention, but they were surprised at how noticeable it was.

Called Samsung and of course was told that all plasmas buzz. Having had several plasmas over the years, that's demonstrably false. Not like this they don't. That's not to say that the newer ones don't to some extent, but this is pretty bad.

A useless tech came out yesterday and refused to even position himself in front of the TV to hear the problem. He made some excuses about high wattage and I showed him the door. Called to complain to Samsung and requested that new techs from a different company come out. They sent two guys today. The guys acknowledged the noise and began to troubleshoot. They took the back off, did some soldering, some listening, some tightening, for probably an hour. Unfortunately it didn't help. They took the TV back to their shop for further troubleshooting. I'm not holding my breath, but at least they are doing something, unlike the first tech, and unlike Samsung at this point.

I'll report back on their success in resolving this issue. I sure hope they can, because the TV is really beautiful.

Just to follow up, the TV came back today and the buzzing still persists. They said they replaced the power board, talked to Samsung engineers, etc. Doesn't seem any better, but it could be marginally better. Bottom line for me is to do research on buzzing before making my next purchase. This will be something that annoys me for years to come, especially once I move it into a bedroom environment.
post #4795 of 5119 Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:

Oh yes you can

If you were fortunate to catch the blowout that Frys electronics did this last week on several models..the 64D8000 was about 50% of that price you mentioned
I saw it blogged on a website I read...I looked online and sure enough it was in stock

I went to BB and asked for a price match..they were already sold out with just the floor display left for just about 10% less than what you mentioned

I told him about Frys and he said they were losing about $700-800 per Tv at their price

I said outstanding!!!...so

I drove to Frys and got the last one

I wasn't even planning on buying a new TV as I have a 58C8000 I bought last year

But for 50% off BB's clearance price..I had to buy the 64D8000 and my 58C8000 is going on Craigs list

Those deals at frys were insane....the D7000 and D8000 series were( and still are if any inventory is left) about 1/3 of MSRP

In store only...for those that are on the west coast..Chicago..Indianapolis..Atlanta Or Texas

Bunch of other deals there as well...Some Samsung LCD/Led deals and the Panny ST30 is at a firesale price as well

quick question

Warren

Warren... are you saying you bought a N64D8000 for $1250?

I find that hard to believe.

My Name is Nobody...
Klipsch x11i - Klipsch x20i - Oppo HA2
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch La Scala II - Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - SW-115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse - OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #4796 of 5119 Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

Warren... are you saying you bought a N64D8000 for $1250?

I find that hard to believe.

I paid $1235 actually...frys was blowing out their inventory a couple of weeks ago for $1299...in store only sale price

Shoot me a PM with your email I will send you a copy of my receipt if you don't believe me

You should have seen what the 51D8000 and 59D7000 Plasmas were going for

all of these were about 1/3 of retail price...and ditto with a few Samsung and Sharp LED's and Panny plasmas as well

By the time I got to the store they had only the display...the sales guy said it had only been on their shelf about 3 months...as they had sold out of the TV a few times during the year and had sold their display model at about 3 different times
The story seems credible as the Tv had no marks..not even fingerprints

There were a lot of crazy deals on that week..

BB guy told me they were losing $700-800 per Tv at that price

I thought "outstanding"

I smiled and drove right over to Fry's electronics

what I probably should have done is ordered it online for store pick up when I saw the Indianapolis store had availability
They don't charge your card until you pick up the merchandise

But I thought I would go to BB and have them price match..BB was sold out except for their display which was a $1000 more than Frys

By the time I got back online the Frys website said sold out....so I drove to the store hoping their website was incorrect...all they had left was the display and they took an extra 5% off their current price

Those that live near a Fry's electronics know how crazy their deals can be

I think they must have a "loss" model to drive traffic..or they must buy large special buys with manufacturers for some of their weekly blowout type sales

who knows...but in any case I am not complaining...

Warren

post #4797 of 5119 Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
You guys need to take a look at the rules in these AVS forums as well as the NAME of this thread.

NO PRICE TALK
post #4798 of 5119 Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I paid $1235 actually...frys was blowing out their inventory a couple of weeks ago for $1299...in store only sale price

Shoot me a PM with your email I will send you a copy of my receipt if you don't believe me

You should have seen what the 51D8000 and 59D7000 Plasmas were going for

all of these were about 1/3 of retail price...and ditto with a few Samsung and Sharp LED's and Panny plasmas as well

By the time I got to the store they had only the display...the sales guy said it had only been on their shelf about 3 months...as they had sold out of the TV a few times during the year and had sold their display model at about 3 different times
The story seems credible as the Tv had no marks..not even fingerprints

There were a lot of crazy deals on that week..

BB guy told me they were losing $700-800 per Tv at that price

I thought "outstanding"

I smiled and drove right over to Fry's electronics

what I probably should have done is ordered it online for store pick up when I saw the Indianapolis store had availability
They don't charge your card until you pick up the merchandise

But I thought I would go to BB and have them price match..BB was sold out except for their display which was a $1000 more than Frys

By the time I got back online the Frys website said sold out....so I drove to the store hoping their website was incorrect...all they had left was the display and they took an extra 5% off their current price

Those that live near a Fry's electronics know how crazy their deals can be

I think they must have a "loss" model to drive traffic..or they must buy large special buys with manufacturers for some of their weekly blowout type sales

who knows...but in any case I am not complaining...

Warren

Man that's a killer deal. I'd have done it even though I don't need it. I think Fry's is more about cash flow on the emergency clearance sales, they've had their difficulties in that area from what I've read...
post #4799 of 5119 Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

You guys need to take a look at the rules in these AVS forums as well as the NAME of this thread.

NO PRICE TALK

No disrespect,but what's the big deal? These sets are pretty much out now with the newer models taking over. Again no disrespect.
post #4800 of 5119 Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I believe it's an AVS rule in deference to the sponsors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page