Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Uh oh, is this a new D8000 firmware that's messing with ADC calibration? If so, I'd better warn my friend about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Zoyd,
Yes, I am willing to try. Though I am not exactly sure what the ADC values are. Do you know the process to do this within the service menu?
post #4863 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for all the help, I have officially joined the D 8000 club after receiving my second set... (first set had a faulty HDMI board)

This is my third TV in my home after a fault VT 30, and the first D8000...

It still buzzes like a hornet... but only at certain places in my home.. (strangely the sound transmits a few metres to my dining table) and only if there is nothing on the telly and my place is very quiet.

The VT30 didn't buzz at all... but the PQ was rather dark.

It's annoying that such a costly item will have such an issue.

Punched in CNET's settings for starters, and did a run in with the AVS slides for about 50 hours, and sat down last night to check out Tron. Nice PQ and blacks, and without direct comparison to my Kuro, the experience was very satisfactory.

The bars around the letterbox movie are still a tad gray rather than black but I guess I didn't notice it much when a good movie was on.

I am sitting at 2.8m and have it mounted about 750mm off the floor, and it's not too near. I wish I could go lower, but I need clearance for my centre speaker (I have a B/W HTM 4s along with a 805s which I may use).

The remote misses a few commands, and isn't as solid as the Kuro one, but is on par with the Panasonic VT30 and Oppo.

http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2012/...ar-5-2012.html
post #4864 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34lnch View Post

Hi Zoyd,
Yes, I am willing to try. Though I am not exactly sure what the ADC values are. Do you know the process to do this within the service menu?

hehe, yes I'm very familiar with it. First write down any custom settings you have that you want to keep (if any) since entering the SM will reset those to default.

1. Power off TV
2. On your remote press mute-1-8-2-power on
3. Use the down key to select ADC/WB
4. Use the right arrow to enter that menu
5. Use the down key to select ADC Result (make sure you do not go into the HDMI calibration section)
6. Right arrow into ADC Result
7. Go down to following items and write down there values
2nd_R_L
2nd_G_L
2nd_B_L
2nd_R_H
2nd_R_H
2nd_R_H

Let me know what those are and we'll go from there.
post #4865 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Liked: 13
Hey zoyd,I'm also interested in an adc cal. I have the dve hd basics cal disk but no meter. Here's a pic of my current (factory) adc values. I appreciate your help and guidance.

Attachment 246305
LL
post #4866 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoop2much View Post

Hey zoyd,I'm also interested in an adc cal. I have the dve hd basics cal disk but no meter. Here's a pic of my current (factory) adc values. I appreciate your help and guidance.

Attachment 246305

Those look good, I would leave them there.
post #4867 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Hi Zoyd.

Here you go. I am a little over my head on this. I have entered into the service menu but now I don't know how to exit it.
LL
post #4868 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Liked: 13
To exit the service menu,simply press the power button on your tv remote.
post #4869 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34lnch View Post

Hi Zoyd.

Here you go. I am a little over my head on this. I have entered into the service menu but now I don't know how to exit it.

ok, those are pretty standard but if the firmware changed something else that has reduced output we can try to recover it here. Increase the last 3 values, 2nd_R_H, 2nd_G_H, 2nd_B_H by selecting with right arrow and then use right arrow to increase. Try 78 first. To go backwards in the menu you hit return and to exit just turn off the power.

You need to compare the changes with some standard settings and use something you recorded or a dvd that you can pull up the same scene from. Do all your comparisons in movie mode, contrast 95, cell light 15, brightness 55, gamma -1.

btw, a similar thing happened to euro displays late last year with one of the firmware releases and the ADC is the way to go to fix it.
post #4870 of 5104 Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
And be aware that the TV will reset to the factory user values. So make sure that all your settings are copied.

Larry
post #4871 of 5104 Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 AM

I can't figure out how to sync the Qwerty keyboard on the remote to the tv?? There does not seem to be instructions. thanks.
post #4872 of 5104 Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone gotten firmware ver 10261? I can't seem to get it with the online upgrade, which states there no new software. I'm on 1022. I'm specifically wondering if that few addresses the poor blacks/gray haze issue on video run in the SmartHub apps like Netlix, and Plex (in development phase).

Has anyone seen notes on that upgrade, it's from April 5.
post #4873 of 5104 Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1080P View Post

I can't figure out how to sync the Qwerty keyboard on the remote to the tv?? There does not seem to be instructions. thanks.

IIRC the instructions are both in the TV's on-screen manual as well as the manual you can download from Samsung.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #4874 of 5104 Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Hey all,

I've got a 59D8000 and see something weird every once in awhile. While watching TV (Comcast Box > Dennon> TV via HDMI) the screen will go all black and in the upper left hand corner, the resolution will show. Kind of like when the system is first turned or when switching between sources. Would just like to know if anyone has had this happen to them. It only happens once in great while and isn't really a problem now but if it gets more frequent, I'll start with troubleshooting. Has anyone had this happen to them?
post #4875 of 5104 Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbzak1 View Post

Hey all,

I've got a 59D8000 and see something weird every once in awhile. While watching TV (Comcast Box > Dennon> TV via HDMI) the screen will go all black and in the upper left hand corner, the resolution will show. Kind of like when the system is first turned or when switching between sources. Would just like to know if anyone has had this happen to them. It only happens once in great while and isn't really a problem now but if it gets more frequent, I'll start with troubleshooting. Has anyone had this happen to them?

That sounds like what happens on an HDMI Handshake. It's only supposed to happen when the TV first recognizes the HDMI connection. The cause of the issue is just as likely to be one of those other 2 devices, so you'll need to experiment some. Watch TV for awhile on another HDMI device, like your BluRay, and see if it happens. Then you may have to bypass your AVR and go directly into the TV HDMI ports, trying different devices and maybe even different HDMI ports in the TV until you figure out what device is causing it. If you have the ability to update firmware on the Dennon or the Comcast box, that often fixes the issue (if its not the TV of course).

Others may have better advice.
post #4876 of 5104 Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

That sounds like what happens on an HDMI Handshake. It's only supposed to happen when the TV first recognizes the HDMI connection. The cause of the issue is just as likely to be one of those other 2 devices, so you'll need to experiment some. Watch TV for awhile on another HDMI device, like your BluRay, and see if it happens. Then you may have to bypass your AVR and go directly into the TV HDMI ports, trying different devices and maybe even different HDMI ports in the TV until you figure out what device is causing it. If you have the ability to update firmware on the Dennon or the Comcast box, that often fixes the issue (if its not the TV of course).

Others may have better advice.

Maybe check to see that your HDMI cables are seated properly in each connection...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #4877 of 5104 Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 PM

I have a similar problem with a Octava switch.
The switch works well with other displays and projectors, but don't recognize hdmi input on my Samsung plasma.
No solution at the moment.
post #4878 of 5104 Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Liked: 17
Considering purchasing a PN60E8000GFXZA vs a VT50. Searching through net reviews I came across this...
"TV developed sub-screen spider cracks and suddenly died , Samsung's own tech noted ,"No External damage to screen" . Even after hundreds of complaints by honest consumers , Samsung won't take responsibility for their $3000 worth of poor consumer product. They know Thermal Expansin issues are causing their plasmas to premature failure, but they won' t admit, because they sell millions of units. It is not acceptable. Consumers Please Beware, no quality or consumer support here with samsung. Good luck shopping."
I didn't see anything similar on searches on this thread. Is this a real issue with the 8000? The only other thing I see that keeps coming up is the hum problem. Any other heads-up stuff on this TV? This is a long thread!!
post #4879 of 5104 Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Considering purchasing a PN60E8000GFXZA vs a VT50. Searching through net reviews I came across this...
"TV developed sub-screen spider cracks and suddenly died , Samsung's own tech noted ,"No External damage to screen" . Even after hundreds of complaints by honest consumers , Samsung won't take responsibility for their $3000 worth of poor consumer product. They know Thermal Expansin issues are causing their plasmas to premature failure, but they won' t admit, because they sell millions of units. It is not acceptable. Consumers Please Beware, no quality or consumer support here with samsung. Good luck shopping."
I didn't see anything similar on searches on this thread. Is this a real issue with the 8000? The only other thing I see that keeps coming up is the hum problem. Any other heads-up stuff on this TV? This is a long thread!!

I read that one somewhere...only one like it that I saw. You might try the new E8000 thread...but if you aren't going to buy because of a few complaints it seems you better not buy any flat panel at this time, as they all have a chance at having a defect of some sort in someone's mind...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1400627

post #4880 of 5104 Old 05-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I read that one somewhere...only one like it that I saw. You might try the new E8000 thread...but if you aren't going to buy because of a few complaints it seems you better not buy any flat panel at this time, as they all have a chance at having a defect of some sort in someone's mind...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1400627

Yes, I know you can't be too picky about things but if this was a tread, as stated in the review, don't you think it would be a good idea to know that? That's why I came here and asked. I assumed this was the place that would actually know.

Now, if Best Buy could manage to actually sell this to me, I would buy it. Placed an order, wasn't in stock at the store as it was shown to be. Now have to wait for it. Many other caveats to this story but let's just say, no wonder BB is struggling.
post #4881 of 5104 Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Yes, I know you can't be too picky about things but if this was a tread, as stated in the review, don't you think it would be a good idea to know that? That's why I came here and asked. I assumed this was the place that would actually know.

Now, if Best Buy could manage to actually sell this to me, I would buy it. Placed an order, wasn't in stock at the store as it was shown to be. Now have to wait for it. Many other caveats to this story but let's just say, no wonder BB is struggling.

What review? Who cares about reviews from unqualified people? What's a tread? You mean trend? And you really need to do some research here rather than just asking questions for instant satisfaction. There's tons of info here, just up to you to digest it and understand it. If you just want someone to tell you what to think I gave it my best shot

BB struggles somewhat due to that very thing that makes them attractive to me, a good return policy (for the consumer, not so good for the vendor).

post #4882 of 5104 Old 05-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the help. The TV is ordered and I'm picking it up on the 24th.
post #4883 of 5104 Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Well, here's a new one for ya (maybe). My PN59D8000 is heading to the nearest recycle center. The screen is cracked and it doesn't turn on anymore. I've already replaced it with the PN60E7000 (love it), but I am not sure what to do with the information contained in the now defective PN59D. You see, we used many of the Smart TV features, and therefore have our accounts setup in NetFlix, Facebook, etc.... Since the TV screen doesn't work, I'm not sure how to get rid of the personal information contained within. In the unlikely event that someone decides to salvage the internal electronics, our stuff is in there. Is there anyway to purge it without looking at menus?? Anyway to SSH or something into the display from a PC???

Thanks!!!
post #4884 of 5104 Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone gotten firmware ver 10261? I can't seem to get it with the online upgrade, which states there no new software. I'm on 1022. I'm specifically wondering if that few addresses the poor blacks/gray haze issue on video run in the SmartHub apps like Netlix, and Plex (in development phase).

Has anyone seen notes on that upgrade, it's from April 5.

I thought I'd try re-asking this. I've learned it's a firmware update that, for now, has to be downloaded onto a USB. Has anyone upgraded?
post #4885 of 5104 Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought I'd try re-asking this. I've learned it's a firmware update that, for now, has to be downloaded onto a USB. Has anyone upgraded?

I see this on their website for USB update only for 1026.0/1026.1 (says 1026.0 but then has 10261 in the body of the description):

10261. Title Firmware for PDP TV D8000 series.(ver 1026.0)2. Applicable Model 51D8000FF, 59D8000FF, 64D8000FF3. Carrier or Corporate Customer all customers4. Description - MLB.TV apps upgrade (server changing)

- This firmware enhances security.

- This firmware can be available Amazon app.

- This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model)
- Change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode - Change the type of information of Info banner - Prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu, etc) - Support Remote Service - Support Netflix 3.1
All OS Apr 5, 2012

I'm on 1024 myself and may try this later if it enables the Amazon app, but I don't see that it addresses your concern. Try asking Samsung?

post #4886 of 5104 Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Third week with my new 64" D8000... love the PQ, hate the moments when I can hear the buzz...

Also noticed that the red remote light flashes intermittent throughout my BR viewing.. sometimes more when the soundtrack is loud... is this common / normal?

I don't notice anything wrong that suggests it's some kind of warning light?
post #4887 of 5104 Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Third week with my new 64" D8000... love the PQ, hate the moments when I can hear the buzz...

Also noticed that the red remote light flashes intermittent throughout my BR viewing.. sometimes more when the soundtrack is loud... is this common / normal?

I don't notice anything wrong that suggests it's some kind of warning light?

My red remote light (in the lower left area of the panel frame) flashes only during startup, is on when in standby and off when viewing. Just like the manual says. (mine's the 59D8000 but shouldn't be any different?). That with buzzing I'd return it.

post #4888 of 5104 Old 05-27-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yeah, random flashing is definitely not normal. Could be your main board is failing - I'd file a service request.
post #4889 of 5104 Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I see this on their website for USB update only for 1026.0/1026.1 (says 1026.0 but then has 10261 in the body of the description):

10261. Title Firmware for PDP TV D8000 series.(ver 1026.0)2. Applicable Model 51D8000FF, 59D8000FF, 64D8000FF3. Carrier or Corporate Customer all customers4. Description - MLB.TV apps upgrade (server changing)

- This firmware enhances security.

- This firmware can be available Amazon app.

- This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model)
- Change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode - Change the type of information of Info banner - Prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu, etc) - Support Remote Service - Support Netflix 3.1
All OS Apr 5, 2012

I'm on 1024 myself and may try this later if it enables the Amazon app, but I don't see that it addresses your concern. Try asking Samsung?

The Samsung tech recommended the upgrade saying he saw no reason why the upgrade wouldn't address my issue (poor blacks /gray haze on video played from an app). That seemed like a standard reply, and I wondered if it was rooted in any reality. I haven't tried it yet thinking it'll come available as an online upgrade which is easier to do, also out of general caution.

Has anyone else noticed this issue. It's especially noticeable if you have a video source you can play on DLNA and also can play through a SmartHub app.
post #4890 of 5104 Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi, folks. I tried searching the thread under "dead pixels" but couldn't find an answer to my problem. I've had the PN64D8000 for 11 months and it just started showing what I believe is a column of dead or defective pixels running from top to bottom of the display about 6 inches from the right hand side of the screen.

Is there any way to repair this? I called Best Buy and they are sending the freak squad out to look at it, but I'm wondering if I am going to end up having go to Samsung and argue for a replacement. It is still within the 1 year warranty. Any of you had this experience? Thanks for your help.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Pn64d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page