post #541 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

I should have known it would still be there. After the TV has been on about 10 hours today without problems, I just had the screen go black for about 4 seconds. Same problem as my C8000. It's definitely the TV, as I swapped around the HDMI cables and still had the problem. Just great.

I thought the burn-in pixel orb does this to protect your tv . if not my c8000 has this prob too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Anyone else having trouble activating Netflix on this TV? I'm getting "Sorry, this device cannot be activated."

I was able to successfully activate 2 UND558000's without a hitch, I don't know why this one doesn't work

Yep. Still not fixed. On the Netflix end it sees I registered the tv successfully, but on the tv side it's an endless loop of new activation codes and error messages.
post #543 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 PM

I'm having issues trying to get Vudo to start. It says to contact customer service!
post #544 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickson00 View Post

i should have known it would still be there. After the tv has been on about 10 hours today without problems, i just had the screen go black for about 4 seconds. Same problem as my c8000. It's definitely the tv, as i swapped around the hdmi cables and still had the problem. Just great.

...f!
post #545 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:

I should have known it would still be there. After the TV has been on about 10 hours today without problems, I just had the screen go black for about 4 seconds. Same problem as my C8000. It's definitely the TV, as I swapped around the HDMI cables and still had the problem. Just great.

Eh? What problem is that? How often does it go black?
post #546 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post

Nice try. It's dumb to accept a set that is obviously damaged unless some allowance in the purchase price is made...period. I said exactly what I meant.

At the risk of being attacked by Peter myself, I must say that I'm here to get information and really get tired of seeing Peter's sprinkling of posts attacking folks. Peter, please, if you don't have input on aspects of a display, keep the personal insults to yourself or at least take it to PM.
post #547 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet01 View Post

i attached the stand to the tv myself, and it was not a pleasant experience. the plate slides into a slot on the back of the tv before you screw it in place. the main problem is that the screen is really really heavy. there's a high chance of the plate getting bent while trying to screw it in standing up, or the screws not getting set in straight. i had to lay the screen face down on my bed and attach the stand hanging off the edge of the bed. still having unpleasant thoughts of my experience unboxing and setting up the tv solo...

Ahh... So I have that to look forward to as well I suppose. Any problems picking it up off the bed after attaching the base? I am just scared to lay it anywhere lol. It hurts to think about the weight of it cracking something . I may have some help but if not that seems like the best option. How did you flip it back upright? It is like a 100lb long/wide awkward to hold (by yourself) item that is both expensive and fragile. I am assuming it all worked out in the end?
post #548 of 5104 Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBenBen View Post

Ahh... So I have that to look forward to as well I suppose. Any problems picking it up off the bed after attaching the base? I am just scared to lay it anywhere lol. It hurts to think about the weight of it cracking something . I may have some help but if not that seems like the best option. How did you flip it back upright? It is like a 100lb long/wide awkward to hold (by yourself) item that is both expensive and fragile. I am assuming it all worked out in the end?

i think the best way to attach the stand is to lay the screen face down on something soft, as recommended by the manual. a bed is probably the only reasonable surface to do so, as a couch probably doesn't have enough space to lay it on. the main prob is that it is really heavy and long/wide...very awkward as you deduced. i ended up flipping it upright onto the bed, then held it backwards and walked it backwards toward my stand. got 2 of the legs onto the stand, moved to the front, and slid the other 2 legs onto the stand. i live in a studio apt, so the distance between my bed and tv stand isn't too far. it's doable by yourself, but highly recommended to have another person help out. good luck!
post #549 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger519v View Post

At the risk of being attacked by Peter myself, I must say that I'm here to get information and really get tired of seeing Peter's sprinkling of posts attacking folks. Peter, please, if you don't have input on aspects of a display, keep the personal insults to yourself or at least take it to PM.

Unfortunately, the "information" that circulates in this forum is not infrequently inaccurate or solely based on opinions without biases clearly articulated. Good example: modern plasmas are no longer subject to IR and burn in. So if in my efforts to correct misinformation people feel personally attacked, so be it. Develop tougher skin or provide accurate information.
post #550 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM

I was ready to pull the trigger on the d8000 and I hear about burn in period, which I'm not to familiar with. This will be my first plasma, so I really need your thoughts or advice.
post #551 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheempa View Post

I was ready to pull the trigger on the d8000 and I hear about burn in period, which I'm not to familiar with. This will be my first plasma, so I really need your thoughts or advice.

My thoughts? Buy it, set it up, plug it in, turn it on, love it
post #552 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM

I don't really understand the heated debate over breaking in a plasma. Some people say there is no point, but I disagree. At minimum, you are speeding up the hours on the set so you can calibrate it and enjoy it that much more. Nothing wrong with wanting the best possible picture sooner rather than later. As for it helping with IR down the road...who knows for sure? But if there is even a 1% chance that it will help, why not do it? It will cost a few extra dollars in electricity for the month, but you'll have peace of mind. So, break in your plasma for two reasons:

1. You can calibrate your set in a week or two instead of four plus weeks (ideally you want to be past 100-150 hours before you calibrate)

2. MAYBE it helps with IR/burn-in
post #553 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I don't really understand the heated debate over breaking in a plasma. Some people say there is no point, but I disagree. At minimum, you are speeding up the hours on the set so you can calibrate it and enjoy it that much more. Nothing wrong with wanting the best possible picture sooner rather than later. As for it helping with IR down the road...who knows for sure? But if there is even a 1% chance that it will help, why not do it? It will cost a few extra dollars in electricity for the month, but you'll have peace of mind. So, break in your plasma for two reasons:

1. You can calibrate your set in a week or two instead of four plus weeks (ideally you want to be past 100-150 hours before you calibrate)

2. MAYBE it helps with IR/burn-in

What's so difficult to understand? Some people make axiomatic claims that can not be empirically demonstrated or verified and others call them on it.
post #554 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 AM

I just pulled the trigger on 64D8000 from Cleveland Plasma! Can't wait to get it delivered!
post #555 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Nice try. It's dumb to accept a set that is obviously damaged unless some allowance in the purchase price is made...period. I said exactly what I meant.

Can you read? It wasn't delivered broke. Again if you ever see wisdom while you are out and about grab it with a meat hook and hold on forever.
post #556 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Can you read? It wasn't delivered broke. Again if you ever see wisdom while you are out and about grab it with a meat hook and hold on forever.

I think he meant that you should have not signed it if it was delivered broken. Unless you are sure that the retailer will definitely replace it. Sometimes the delivery insurance will be canceled if you sign that it was delivered in working order.
post #557 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Oops, I actually misread. I meant if they broke it broke it before you signed off.
post #558 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet01 View Post

i think the best way to attach the stand is to lay the screen face down on something soft, as recommended by the manual. a bed is probably the only reasonable surface to do so, as a couch probably doesn't have enough space to lay it on. the main prob is that it is really heavy and long/wide...very awkward as you deduced. i ended up flipping it upright onto the bed, then held it backwards and walked it backwards toward my stand. got 2 of the legs onto the stand, moved to the front, and slid the other 2 legs onto the stand. i live in a studio apt, so the distance between my bed and tv stand isn't too far. it's doable by yourself, but highly recommended to have another person help out. good luck!

Last year the 63C8000 came with the stand attached. Much easier on the buyer. I wonder what made them not send it out attached?
post #559 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiteng View Post

Oops, I actually misread. I meant if they broke it broke it before you signed off.

Exactly. Sometimes and for some people the simplest concepts become rocket science.
post #560 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Listen man. You saw the delivery guys damage your stand/set and still accepted it. That was a dumb move. Hopefully you won't have to realize how dumb it was if the retailer refuses to replace.
post #561 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Listen man. You saw the delivery guys damage your stand/set and still accepted it. That was a dumb move. Hopefully you won't have to realize how dumb it was if the retailer refuses to replace.

Again, can you read. I'l have a new set on April 9th. What do you get out of this? I'm through with you.
post #562 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post

Yep. Still not fixed. On the Netflix end it sees I registered the tv successfully, but on the tv side it's an endless loop of new activation codes and error messages.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. It's the same exact software as on the UNxxD8000 series, I don't see why this tv being a plasma would effect anything. Somewhere in this or the 2011 thread, someone said their netflix works just fine.

I called Netflix and they say there's no problem on their end, call Samsung. I called Samsung's Tier 1 support who are, I'm pretty sure, clinically diagnosed morons. Tier 2 support is supposed to call back in 2-3 days. What the crap is that!?

So frustrated. So far the "Smart TV" features have not been very smart.

Also what exactly does logging into a Smart TV home account or whatever get me? Other than logging itself out every 5 minutes, I cannot notice a bit of difference.
post #563 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Peter, it is time to stop. You are just making yourself look worse and worse to the rest of us. I don't have any interest in the dispute you guys are having, but it certainly seems possible, and potentially helpful, to have a civil conversation about the appropriate way to respond to a minor breakage during delivery.
post #564 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Just ordered my 64d8000 from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. I'm super stoked!

I haven't seen any settings listed for this TV yet...or did I miss it?

One more questions...is it worth having someone come out and calibrate the tv?
post #565 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You kids get off my lawn!

Quote:

post #566 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM

REAL newbie here!

I currently own an LN55C650 LCD which I "sort of" like. I have an opportunity to sell that TV and pick up a PN64D8000.

My dilemma is that I am not sure what I am gaining or losing by going from LCD to plasma. I know that plasma provides a more realistic picture, deeper blacks, etc., but what are the downsides to plasma, other than power usage and a requirement for darker watching environments (neither of which is an issue for me)?

I've heard about issues with buzzing, burn-in, decreasing black levels, pinkish hue developing on Sammy screens, etc. Are these realistic issues or simply faulty individual sets?

I apologize for the newbie questions and hope that I have posted in the proper forum!

Thanks.

Roberta
post #567 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Somebody answer me please. Is the "Local Contrast Enhancer" on the 8000 series just marketing spin, or does it really offer a noticeable PQ improvement over the 7000? Otherwise I don't see why people don't save $$$ by getting the 7000.
post #568 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'd guess you'd need to look at both sets and judge for yourself.

post #569 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM

^ Oh gee, thanks so much.
post #570 of 5104 Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

REAL newbie here!

I currently own an LN55C650 LCD which I "sort of" like. I have an opportunity to sell that TV and pick up a PN64D8000.

My dilemma is that I am not sure what I am gaining or losing by going from LCD to plasma. I know that plasma provides a more realistic picture, deeper blacks, etc., but what are the downsides to plasma, other than power usage and a requirement for darker watching environments (neither of which is an issue for me)?

I've heard about issues with buzzing, burn-in, decreasing black levels, pinkish hue developing on Sammy screens, etc. Are these realistic issues or simply faulty individual sets?

I apologize for the newbie questions and hope that I have posted in the proper forum!

Thanks.

Roberta

You'd be hard pressed to find a better television than the 64D8000 based on the couple I've seen in stores. You *might* hear a slight buzzing but only when the sound is off or nearly off. The other concerns you mention are basically non-issues for 99% of all plasma owners, IMHO.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page