Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a PN59D8000 and i have a few questions for you guys:

- I didn't get any 3D glasses in the box or a free voucher. i heard samsung has a virtual website voucher to get a pair or two but couldn't find any info.
can anyone shed some light on that issue?

- can anyone please post his recommended movie settings? i'm currently running the break in slides and i want to compare my calibration to other ppl.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by asds2 View Post

- I didn't get any 3D glasses in the box or a free voucher. i heard samsung has a virtual website voucher to get a pair or two but couldn't find any info.

- can anyone please post his recommended movie settings? i'm currently running the break in slides and i want to compare my calibration to other ppl.

Thanks
It was a Samsung LED model that had the voucher in the box for 2 pairs of glasses. Did you get the starter kit from whomever sold you the tv?
post #813 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Liked: 11
I'm just going to reiterate my question which got skipped or missed:

Is there anything beyond the single Hue/Tint slider that I can use to dial in the white balance that doesn't require expensive calibration tools?
post #814 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Is there anything beyond the single Hue/Tint slider that I can use to dial in the white balance that doesn't require expensive calibration tools?

Isn't there a 10-point white balance adjustment that you can turn on?
post #815 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Has ChadB looked at a larger 59''+ 8000 series yet?

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
post #816 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Samsungs have user controls to adjust grayscale: offsets/gains for 2 pt adjustment, and R,G,B for 10-point adjustment. They also have an excellent color management system (CMS) you can access by selecting the Custom color space. That's the good news!

The bad news, I'm afraid, is that those can't be adjusted accurately/completely without meters. Sorry. You can certainly try to adjust them by eye and see where you get (but please write down all your starting settings first).

Best,
Greg

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 2
post #817 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerianne View Post

Samsungs have user controls to adjust grayscale: offsets/gains for 2 pt adjustment, and R,G,B for 10-point adjustment. They also have an excellent color management system (CMS) you can access by selecting the Custom color space. That's the good news!

The bad news, I'm afraid, is that those can't be adjusted accurately/completely without meters. Sorry. You can certainly try to adjust them by eye and see where you get (but please write down all your starting settings first).

Best,
Greg

This is why I am eager to have a pro calibrate a set and then supply the settings online for the rest of us. Some won't be happy with just copying the settings, because each display is different and what works on the pro's calibrated set might not work on another. But for people like me who really can't tell the difference between an "almost perfect" display and a perfect display, copying the settings will work. I used Mantisboxer's and then Cnet's before and was happy with both.
post #818 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

It was a Samsung LED model that had the voucher in the box for 2 pairs of glasses. Did you get the starter kit from whomever sold you the tv?

No 3D kit was included with purchase but i knew that.
maybe the virtual voucher was a rumour
post #819 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

guys who are looking for the voucher i read on another froum that its some where on the samsung web site. i did not look for it my self

Where did you read that? couldn't find anything on google
thanks
post #820 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Isn't there a 10-point white balance adjustment that you can turn on?

Yes, but I have no idea how to use it. I was under the impression it requires a calibration meter to use? (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerianne View Post

Best,
Greg

Can I get close with a pluge pattern and some gels/filters? Is there a guide out there for using the 10-point white balance?

I'm probably going to have my tv professionally calibrated, but I want to break in the TV for a month or two before I spend the money for that. I'd like to get as close as possible until then.
post #821 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Yes, but I have no idea how to use it. I was under the impression it requires a calibration meter to use?

Yes, it does require a meter to adjust properly! (See a few posts above...)

Addition for last post: You can make some adjustments to the TV initially with a DVD/Blu-ray disc and that may improve your picture in the short term (although filter gels are notorious for not working very well, or on all HDTVs). But, there is nothing that I know of that can help you adjust a 10 pt. grayscale - without a meter, that is...

Best,
Greg

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 2
post #822 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

This is why I am eager to have a pro calibrate a set and then supply the settings online for the rest of us.

I have a calibration scheduled for the first week of May.
post #823 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No 3D kit was included with purchase but i knew that.
maybe the virtual voucher was a rumour

I think you're thinking of the recent Samsung press release that stated all 2011 3D TVs will come with 2 pairs of glasses. There's a little disclaimer in that press release, that says that the models that qualify for the free starter kit won't get additional glasses. Technically, this model does qualify for the free starter kit so it wouldn't come with additional free glasses. Anyone who doesn't get the starter kit, should call Samsung and complain. They may be able to send you the kit or at least the glasses. I don't understand why some retailers aren't including the kit since it's a Samsung promo.
post #824 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Do the D8000 have the same dimming and brightness fluctuation problem as reported in the D70000 thread?
post #825 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Do the D8000 have the same dimming and brightness fluctuation problem as reported in the D70000 thread?

I haven't noticed any.
post #826 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I think you're thinking of the recent Samsung press release that stated all 2011 3D TVs will come with 2 pairs of glasses. There's a little disclaimer in that press release, that says that the models that qualify for the free starter kit won't get additional glasses. Technically, this model does qualify for the free starter kit so it wouldn't come with additional free glasses. Anyone who doesn't get the starter kit, should call Samsung and complain. They may be able to send you the kit or at least the glasses. I don't understand why some retailers aren't including the kit since it's a Samsung promo.

I thought the free glasses / free starter kit promo wasn't supposed to start until April 23rd and dealers that were throwing in starter kits were doing so just to 'sweeten the deal'.
post #827 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I guess now it doesn't matter as much since 3d bluray players are a little cheaper, but the starter kit/bluray player deal last year was what made me get samsung over panasonic.

Saved you at least $1k over the same panasonic stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ The free starter kit is from Samsung. Included at point of sale from most dealers.

buytme
post #828 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM

I went into work late today to accept delivery of my 64D8000 this morning... man this thing is gorgeous, watched a few minutes of The Pacific and Disney's Oceans before putting on the break-in slides and heading off to work... can't wait to get home and blast The Pacific on my surround sound! Is there somewhere I can find other awesome recommended BluRay titles that use the full screen?

PS - Setting up your 64" TV can be done by yourself. I laid it screen down on a futon with the chrome stand edge hanging off, put the futon up against a cardboard box that is a little shorter than the height of my media center stand, pivoted TV up from futon to box, then held the TV in the center one hand on top and one hand on the bottom part of the screen and just slowly lifted it onto my media center... 87lbs isn't really that heavy.
post #829 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS84 View Post

PS - Setting up your 64" TV can be done by yourself. .. 87lbs isn't really that heavy.

It seems odd that Samsung's 64" is about the same weight as Panasonic's 55". Anyone have any theories as to why?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #830 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It seems odd that Samsung's 64" is about the same weight as Panasonic's 55". Anyone have any theories as to why?

Probably because it's thinner. My new 64" weighs LESS than the 50" Kuro it replaced.
post #831 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It's slimmer, right? So mostly you are dealing with the extra weight of the glass, and a negligible increase for the additional bezel plastic/metal.
post #832 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I just got the PN64D8000 and the free starter kit. I purchased this from a local B&M store in the East Bay area of SF. It includes two pair of glasses, the first 3 Shrek Movies in 3D Blu-ray and two vouchers - one for the 4th Shrek 3D BD and another for Megamind 3D BD.
post #833 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

I have the PN59D8000 and have noticed some local switching in brightness but it doesn't happen often. I am not too sure how I feel about it as the PQ is so awesome and it doesn't happen too much. It depends on the scenes I guess. I haven't watched anything where it got annoying because it happened repeatedly in a short period of time yet. I noticed it in Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Planet Earth, and Life. I watched Tron Legacy 3D in 3D and don't remember seeing it happen at all. Tron has a ton of blacks and dark scenes so I am pretty sure I would have noticed. That movie is awesome btw.
post #834 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS84 View Post

I went into work late today to accept delivery of my 64D8000 this morning... man this thing is gorgeous, watched a few minutes of The Pacific and Disney's Oceans before putting on the break-in slides and heading off to work... can't wait to get home and blast The Pacific on my surround sound! Is there somewhere I can find other awesome recommended BluRay titles that use the full screen?

PS - Setting up your 64" TV can be done by yourself. I laid it screen down on a futon with the chrome stand edge hanging off, put the futon up against a cardboard box that is a little shorter than the height of my media center stand, pivoted TV up from futon to box, then held the TV in the center one hand on top and one hand on the bottom part of the screen and just slowly lifted it onto my media center... 87lbs isn't really that heavy.

Life looks amazing and is fullscreen. My girlfriend and I love it. It really shows how pretty your tv's PQ can be. It is made by the same people that made The Pacific but I think Life is supposed to look a bit better. The "plants" scenes will make your jaw drop.
post #835 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBenBen View Post

Life looks amazing and is fullscreen. My girlfriend and I love it. It really shows how pretty your tv's PQ can be. It is made by the same people that made The Pacific

The Pacific is a WWII HBO series. You're probably thinking of Planet Earth. Or maybe even Human Planet, which is the new one.
post #836 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 PM

My 59d8000 and 3d starter kit just shipped from crutchfield. Cant wait to get it, its replacing my LG 60pz950. How is the samsung with gaming???

I was getting some input lag on the LG, but it seems others with the LG were not getting any lag at all. So maybe i receieved a bad TV, but i feel the samsung will be a better fit.
post #837 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Funny how you never notice how many of your favorite channels have that damn static logo or more sitting there the whole time, until you get your first plasma... I LOVE THIS TV!!
post #838 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

My 59d8000 and 3d starter kit just shipped from crutchfield. Cant wait to get it, its replacing my LG 60pz950. How is the samsung with gaming???

I was getting some input lag on the LG, but it seems others with the LG were not getting any lag at all. So maybe i receieved a bad TV, but i feel the samsung will be a better fit.

I had the lg 60pk950 and I too noticed quite a bit of input lag. I haven't done a lot of gaming on my 59d8000 because i'm still in the break in period, but I did try out killzone 3 in 3d and I didn't notice any input lag, at least not enough to affect my gaming experience. Just make sure when you play you switch your tv to game mode from the settings menu option, you should get the best results that way.
post #839 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

I realize that you can't compare sets side by side but when you get the Samsung set can you give us your comments on relative picture quality of the two, particularly black level? Thanks.
post #840 of 5104 Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Might be a dumb question and I know I could search or google it but, can you program the awesome qwerty remote to control dvr, receiver, etc...? I've got 5 remotes and it's getting old - DVR, Receiver, TV, PS3, WDTV...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page