post #901 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Universal Remote, like a Harmony?

Exactly!!! My Harmony One will take care of powering on/off of the equipment.

Great Find Drakore!!! I will test this fix out this evening as my receiver has not been delivered just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Went to HHGregg last night (got a killer deal) and now a proud owner of the 64D8000. They didn't have any in stock until today so I'm picking it up after work.

So my question is what was everyone's first movie they used to test out their TV?
post #903 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post

Went to HHGregg last night (got a killer deal) and now a proud owner of the 64D8000. They didn't have any in stock until today so I'm picking it up after work.

So my question is what was everyone's first movie they used to test out their TV?

Planet Earth on blu-ray
post #904 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Universal Remote, like a Harmony?

Yes, that could be a solution for some people. I just use optical instead.
post #905 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

I'd love to hear any user reviews about the web browser from D8000 owners. Speed, ease of use, incompatibility issues, things you like or don't like, tips/tricks etc.
post #906 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrog View Post

Planet Earth on blu-ray

Baraka was the first.
post #907 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post

With the Denon, can't you just delete the TV input in the options menu? I have only had my Denon 1611 for a couple weeks and had a problem with the receiver changing to TV mode without me wanting it to. Removing it as a source in the options seems to have fixed the problem.

I'll give that a shot, though it's the only one that supports ARC, so I'm not sure if it will work. But I will try it.
post #908 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM

First movie I tested on my 64D was The Pacific. Bought it specifically because I was getting this TV.
post #909 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I'll give that a shot, though it's the only one that supports ARC, so I'm not sure if it will work. But I will try it.

That part I did not know. I was going to try it out but since I have the d7000 I don't even have ARC capability.
post #910 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS84 View Post

First movie I tested on my 64D was The Pacific. Bought it specifically because I was getting this TV.

I've also been amassing blu-rays for the day when my new TV arrives.

How did you like The Pacific? It's on my list, but not yet bought.

post #911 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Its pretty badass. Can feel the bass from explosions in my couch. Guess I'm doin it right!

Would love to get some great settings to dial in though until I get calibrated. Gets annoying trying to decide if standard or movie mode looks better/truer.
post #912 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

I'd love to hear any user reviews about the web browser from D8000 owners. Speed, ease of use, incompatibility issues, things you like or don't like, tips/tricks etc.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's really bad. It's slow, laggy, and it doesn't handle media content well. It's fine if you just want to read news or something, but overall I'd rather use my smartphone to surf the net.
post #913 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrusk View Post

Sorry to disappoint, but it's really bad. It's slow, laggy, and it doesn't handle media content well. It's fine if you just want to read news or something, but overall I'd rather use my smartphone to surf the net.

Sorry to hear that. I kinda enjoy surfing on my Wii browser, but it has similar issues.
post #914 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post

Can anyone comment on linebleed on the 64" set? (I've always noticed this with my 63" C8000 on text). The references on this thread so far are to black/coloured text on a white background, but what about white text on a black background?

Also, on a white background during a movie, is it a clean white or are there any horizontal bars visible? Would really appreciate if someone could test this please (IIRC Ice Age BluRay is a good one to test this on)

Thanks

Anyone?
post #915 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post

Can anyone comment on linebleed on the 64" set? (I've always noticed this with my 63" C8000 on text). The references on this thread so far are to black/coloured text on a white background, but what about white text on a black background?

Also, on a white background during a movie, is it a clean white or are there any horizontal bars visible? Would really appreciate if someone could test this please (IIRC Ice Age BluRay is a good one to test this on)

Thanks

Myself as well as a few others can confirm that there IS linebleed on the 64" model.
post #916 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Myself as well as a few others can confirm that there IS linebleed on the 64" model.

Confirmed on my 59D8000. Of course I notice more on a white background, but I have also seen it on other light background colors as well.
post #917 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM

i wanted to post this here because i Have a 59" samsung 8000 on the way from crutchfield, but im debating on declining the shipment so i can get a refund and then get something that costs a little more. On the crutchfield website this Toshiba 65UL610 tv stuck out at me.
Also would this set be good for gaming, even though its an led lcd, if not, what would be a better option thats around this price, I have a card limit of $4000 and it has to be from crutchfield, because of the no interest for 24 months
What do you guys think?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05265UL....html?tp=35862

or would the samsung un60d8000 be a better match
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30560D8....html?tp=35862
post #918 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

i wanted to post this here because i Have a 59" samsung 8000 on the way from crutchfield, but im debating on declining the shipment so i can get a refund and then get something that costs a little more. On the crutchfield website this Toshiba 65UL610 tv stuck out at me.
Also would this set be good for gaming, even though its an led lcd, if not, what would be a better option thats around this price, I have a card limit of $4000 and it has to be from crutchfield, because of the no interest for 24 months
What do you guys think?

try it.. you might like it... if these are signiture series or whatever they call if you return window and their policy is very good. I'm sure you can find a reason to return it if your truly dont like it... for gaming plasma is hard to beat lag wise.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #919 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Wow that Toshiba is expensive. I don't know who reigns supreme in the LED world but is Toshiba even relevant?
post #920 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:

i agree that it's not a good option for web browsing. i didn't even get as far as checking out media-intensive sites, because i was fed up with the navigation. you can either "tab" through the links, or go to pointer mode to move the pointer around. the former option doesn't work well because with web sites having fields, buttons, links, etc. your selection often gets lost in the mess. the latter is no good either, as the direction arrows, or sort-of touch pad has poor sensitivity - very difficult to accurately point where you want to. the only way samsung can improve this is to allow bt kb and mouse connection to the tv. my opinion of the qwerty remote is that it's a gimmick, a drain on batteries (4 x aaa!), and the little lcd screen is getting scratched up (it's face down on my coffee table)!
post #921 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
This is very disappointing to hear, I hope it is something that can be fixed by firmware update.
post #922 of 5101 Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Wow that Toshiba is expensive. I don't know who reigns supreme in the LED world but is Toshiba even relevant?
No, they are not.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #923 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
What do you guys think?

How many TVs are you going to buy and send back? Maybe it makes sense to figure out what you really want and then go get it. It's time to take some some ownership for your decisions.
post #924 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet01 View Post
i agree that it's not a good option for web browsing. i didn't even get as far as checking out media-intensive sites, because i was fed up with the navigation. you can either "tab" through the links, or go to pointer mode to move the pointer around. the former option doesn't work well because with web sites having fields, buttons, links, etc. your selection often gets lost in the mess. the latter is no good either, as the direction arrows, or sort-of touch pad has poor sensitivity - very difficult to accurately point where you want to. the only way samsung can improve this is to allow bt kb and mouse connection to the tv. my opinion of the qwerty remote is that it's a gimmick, a drain on batteries (4 x aaa!), and the little lcd screen is getting scratched up (it's face down on my coffee table)!
I wonder how proprietary their controller is. There so many after-market mini-keyboards and mice. I love how easy the Wii controller works for browsing and I don't miss the actual keyboard to surf and read sites like this. Has anyone tried the Samsung Remote app on this browser (for ipod touch or samsung droids), it has a gestures feature.
post #925 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post
How many TVs are you going to buy and send back? Maybe it makes sense to figure out what you really want and then go get it. It's time to take some some ownership for your decisions.
enough to rule the world. I didnt know returned tvs bothered you so bad. Im so sorry

I wonder why online retailers give a 30 day return policy, maybe so you can return it for something else??? Especially when some of these displays are not even in local stores. How can you test them out unless you get them in your house. I dont know about your local stores, but the stores around me dont even have a samsung 8000 or let alone a higher end model
post #926 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
enough to rule the world. I didnt know returned tvs bothered you so bad. Im so sorry

I wonder why online retailers give a 30 day return policy, maybe so you can return it for something else??? Especially when some of these displays are not even in local stores. How can you test them out unless you get them in your house. I dont know about your local stores, but the stores around me dont even have a samsung 8000 or let alone a higher end model
Test them out??? You're talking about refusing delivery and sending it back. You're complaining about not finding D8000s in stores (how far is it the nearest BB Magnolia, they all have them on display?) and yet when one shows up on your doorstep, you're not even going to open the box and look at it. Why?
post #927 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Test them out??? You're talking about refusing delivery and sending it back. You're complaining about not finding D8000s in stores (how far is it the nearest BB Magnolia, they all have them on display?) and yet when one shows up on your doorstep, you're not even going to open the box and look at it. Why?
Closest Magnolia is about 1 hr to 1 hr and half away. Do you have stock in samsung?

Im just wondering if theres something better than the d8000, that someone has tested out, because if i open the box its not returnable unless its defected.

Quit crying about it, its not your money.
post #928 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Closest Magnolia is about 1 hr to 1 hr and half away. Do you have stock in samsung?

Im just wondering if theres something better than the d8000, that someone has tested out, because if i open the box its not returnable unless its defected.

You are making no sense. You ordered a television (this is #2, right?), it's on it's way to you, and you don't even plan to open the box... all because there *might* be a better television out there but you have no idea if there is or what it might be. On top of that, you're not willing to drive an hour to figure it out for yourself.

And no, I don't own stock in Samsung or work for Crutchfield.
post #929 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
You are making no sense. You ordered a television (this is #2, right?), it's on it's way to you, and you don't even plan to open the box... all because there *might* be a better television out there but you have no idea if there is or what it might be. On top of that, you're not willing to drive an hour to figure it out for yourself.

And no, I don't own stock in Samsung or work for Crutchfield.
This is number 2 because the first set was an lg pz950 but for some reason it had input lag on ps3 for me, and after hours of technical support from sony and LG they couldnt figure out why it was so bad for my set

I cant drive,(disability) I hate to put a burden on someone to bring me somewhere an hour away just so i can "look" at a tv. I just dont want to make the wrong choice. It seems like they all have problems. But i Just want to find the one with the least amount of problems. I would have picked the 64" version but it was not in stock. I would be fine with the 64d8000 but theres so many in the price range of the 59d8000 that I want to make sure its the right choice. I always 2nd guess everything.

I dont want to "e" argue with you
post #930 of 5101 Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey

If you ordered from Crutchfield you can return it for whatever reason you want, you just have to pay return shipping. And seeing as how you're desperate to avoid buyers remorse it seems like you should wait for more reviews to come out and do more research, or at the very least accept shipment on the d8000, hook it up and see if you like it, if not, return it and try something else. I can say for sure though maxing out your Crutchfield card limit just because you can doesn't mean you'll get a better tv. Leds are more expensive, but that doesn't mean they have better pq than plasmas.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page