Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 5104 Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
received my 59" d8000 today and all i can say is wow. Very easy setup, and the 3d is amazing. I had to wooo the wife right away because she hates when i buy new toys for myself. So i gave her a pair of 3d glasses to put on and popped in shrek 3d and she couldnt take the glasses off. She was in love with this set, So now it wasnt a bad idea buying this tv.

I have all the settings set at about halfway until i reach about a 100 hrs or so.

I hope they release a firmware to add the "SOE" also I really like the titanium stand and this bezel looks fantastic.

I hope sitting 15ft away from a 59" tv wont be bad for watching 3d movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5104 Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Wermey I hope the input lag is better then the LG you had.
Let us know if its any better.
post #993 of 5104 Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

Wermey I hope the input lag is better then the LG you had.
Let us know if its any better.

Input lag? Whats that?

I have no issues with this TV and MLB The show on ps3. Its perrrrrfect!

So i either had a defective LG or the LG has lag issues. Even though no one else seemed to have problems with it
post #994 of 5104 Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I believe they will be the same. Last year the 58 and 63 were.
You have the right idea about the black filter.
It keeps it darker in high ambient light. It still has reflections, though.

and would the black level be the same on a 59inch d550 to those you measured for the 64 inch 8000?
post #995 of 5104 Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
If your content has a "black screen" long enough it will completely turn off the screen until picture content returns.

It should not completely turn OFF your TV though. If your TV is completely turnning off, it sounds like it's broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbtt View Post

Well, I have had the 59d8000 for a month and now this thing does random shut downs and randomly the screen will go black and then turn back on. I think I have to exchange it while I can. Has anyone else had anything similar happen?

buytme
post #996 of 5104 Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I just did a little more research into what people are reporting with the PN-D8000. Looks like there may be something to it.
Next time I get a chance I'll look for it and see if I can duplicate it.

Its not just the 8000, the 7 as well. I had a terrible episode with it tonight watching some HBO HD on demand through Cox Cable. It was as bad as I have ever seen and intolerable. I tried resetting the picture settings to make sure it wasn't something I had inadvertently set, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Was using movie mode btw. In some ways it seems to be a content based trigger but it is beyond me to really pin down what the issue is. The HD stream didn't seem particularly high quality and was pretty noisy, so maybe that affects it somehow.

Keep in mind I have noticed similar issues with the c8000 as well, but since then have changed all other variables such as the source, cabling, receiver, etc. Its very strange. It was never really bothersome to me until tonight when I watched the Mildred Pierce HBO show. Saw so many dramatic shifts in gamma/brightness it was driving me crazy. Definitely something shady going on with that.
post #997 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Chad, have you seen the D6500 (w/o RBF) and the D7000/8000 (w/ RBF) in similar enough environments to comment on the net effect of the Real Black Filter?

The D6500 has an improved AR filter from the D550 series (contrary to what the Samsung Literature says) it is somewhere between the D550 and D7000 in terms of quality. (closer to the D7000 based on several reports from various people)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #998 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The D6500 has an improved AR filter from the D550 series (contrary to what the Samsung Literature says) it is somewhere between the D550 and D7000 in terms of quality. (closer to the D7000 based on several reports from various people)

Yes, I'm well aware the D6500 shares the same AR filter as the D7000 and D8000 (and better than the D550). However, it doesn't have the Real Black Filter to go along with it. From what I could tell in the store, the AR filter for all of these is a screen coating of some type. The RBF on the top two models is some kind of micro-louver. You can tell it's that because if you increase your vertical viewing angle with the sets that have it, the picture attenuates (dims, I guess) but this fortunately doesn't happen with horizontal off-angle viewing. Basically. it cuts light that come from above, maybe below, too, for all I know.

My question for Chad was along the line of how this added RBF shows up in testing results.
post #999 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Yes, I'm well aware the D6500 shares the same AR filter as the D7000 and D8000 (and better than the D550). However, it doesn't have the Real Black Filter to go along with it. From what I could tell in the store, the AR filter for all of these is a screen coating of some type. The RBF on the top two models is some kind of micro-louver. You can tell it's that because if you increase your vertical viewing angle with the sets that have it, the picture attenuates (dims, I guess) but this fortunately doesn't happen with horizontal off-angle viewing. Basically. it cuts light that come from above, maybe below, too, for all I know.

My question for Chad was along the line of how this added RBF shows up in testing results.

Unfortunately I haven't seen them side by side (model with RBF and without). I can say the D8000's RBF is good; it holds up well under moderate ambient light.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1000 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Chad B

Do you measured the light output? It's much lower than 51" after calibration?
post #1001 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrw2 View Post

Chad B

Do you measured the light output? It's much lower than 51" after calibration?

Quote:

I have determined that my Chroma5 meter, which is rated to be accurate down to approximately .014 fL, at least gives gives ballpark readings from that level down to approximately .008 fL. The PN-64D8000's readings were below that threshold with both a black screen and the black section of the ANSI checkerboard pattern. While I cannot provide a reliable exact number for the black level, it is definitely lower than that of the PN-51D8000, and it is probably very close to the best Panasonic plasmas.
With a 1080P/24 input and Cinema Smooth engaged, I got a consistent reading of .012 fL.
As was the case last year, the contrast is dramatically improved with the larger panel size, and picture quality is a significant notch higher as a result.

READ, man!
post #1002 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Liked: 11
light output = BRIGHTNESS ! Not black level !

READ, man !
post #1003 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Hello, guys. My old Pioneer Plasma can only show close captioning subtitles S-Video connection. Someone who ones this Samsung, would you please tell me if the close captioning subtitles could be seen via HDMI connection? Thanks!
post #1004 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

received my 59" d8000 today and all i can say is wow. Very easy setup, and the 3d is amazing. I had to wooo the wife right away because she hates when i buy new toys for myself. So i gave her a pair of 3d glasses to put on and popped in shrek 3d and she couldnt take the glasses off. She was in love with this set, So now it wasnt a bad idea buying this tv.

I have all the settings set at about halfway until i reach about a 100 hrs or so.

I hope they release a firmware to add the "SOE" also I really like the titanium stand and this bezel looks fantastic.

I hope sitting 15ft away from a 59" tv wont be bad for watching 3d movies.

Congratulations on your new set. Why does your wife not enjoy seeing you get new stuff?
post #1005 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrw2 View Post

light output = BRIGHTNESS ! Not black level !

READ, man !

You got me, fair and square. SORRY! Sometimes I have a brain cloud.

EDIT: On second thought, black levels are measured by the minimum luminance of the screen, therefore....light output! And since black levels are usually what we all consider to be the most important factor in light measurement of plasmas, you can hopefully understand how I misinterpreted what you were saying. And when you said "lower light output" than the 51" I could only take it that you were talking about black levels since that is in fact the truth.
post #1006 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Since I'm apparently in the habit of answering my own questions: it turns out I'm not crazy, just susceptible to the "rainbow effect"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

I got my first plasma a few months ago as well, and it is the PN58C7000.

I see the same thing, in some shows/movies/content it is apparent, in others I don't see it.

I saw it alot in spartacus. However, it seems to have gotten better or I just got used to it.

Either way it is not a killer, it is way better than the LED/LCD issues I had.

I also got the plasma from SAmsung as a replacement to the 2010 LED's I had.

I will never go back to LCD's again. PLasma all the way for me from now on.

I also didn't think the viewing angles bothered me when I had the LED/LCD, until I tried plasma and it is amazing how much better it is.
post #1007 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by goedken1 View Post

I see that rainbow effect too if I look quickly from one side of the screen to the other. I see it on all (or at least many) plasmas. It's one of the downsides of the technology but it's worth it to me to avoid the awful smearing / motion blur I see on many LED/LCD TVs (which is why I returned my UN55C6300).

Did you have LED from SAmsung last years models? I originally bought the LED's and they had this awful color smearing. I mean it was horrendous.

I'll deal with plasma issues anyday over that crap.
post #1008 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Got a quick question please... About to call chris at Cleveland plasma but had a quick question on cables first.

I have a pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and do NOT have a cable box so my cable run will connect directly into the tv.

My question is how will I get the cable audio etc to the receiver? Will I need just an hdmi cable for that or will I need a hdmi cable for all the devices controlled by the receiver TO the tv and another HDMI to go FROM the tv to the receiver?
Will I need a optical cable or is it a coax cable to run the sound back to the receiver for surround digital sound. Please advise

Thanks

-- CUE
post #1009 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Optical from tv to AVR. ^^^

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #1010 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Any info about image retention? I play a lot of games and sometimes leave them in menu for a while. Im afraid i will still see the menu after I return to the game, or the scoreboard or life meter after I switch back to watching a movie. Info from owners is much appreciated.
post #1011 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsltr View Post

Any info about image retention? I play a lot of games and sometimes leave them in menu for a while. Im afraid i will still see the menu after I return to the game, or the scoreboard or life meter after I switch back to watching a movie. Info from owners is much appreciated.

People have reported improved IR from 2010 models. I have the c8000 and whenever I do get IR from playing video games with static images they are gone the next day I turn it on. So i am very happy with that!
post #1012 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Is there any reason why the 51" sets would have lighter blacks and do you think it could be fixed with a firmware update.
post #1013 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

People have reported improved IR from 2010 models. I have the c8000 and whenever I do get IR from playing video games with static images they are gone the next day I turn it on. So i am very happy with that!

Next day? WOW! I ll probably stick with LCDs then
post #1014 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue03 View Post

Got a quick question please... About to call chris at Cleveland plasma but had a quick question on cables first.

I have a pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and do NOT have a cable box so my cable run will connect directly into the tv.

My question is how will I get the cable audio etc to the receiver? Will I need just an hdmi cable for that or will I need a hdmi cable for all the devices controlled by the receiver TO the tv and another HDMI to go FROM the tv to the receiver?
Will I need a optical cable or is it a coax cable to run the sound back to the receiver for surround digital sound. Please advise

Thanks

"I want more" is right, I will add that you may want the cable box as most cable companies require the box to get the most HiDef channels they offer. Or you can make the switch to Directv or Dish.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #1015 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Next day? WOW! I ll probably stick with LCDs then

Keep in mind I play games for 4-6 hour sessions on my days off. And I play XBL games which are mostly static images. Plus I keep my contrast really high because I like the PQ better.
post #1016 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Im very IR sensitive as I never experienced any on my old 52" LCD. And I saw it on every plasma I ever had the chance to watch.. But the size/price ratio on the 64d8000 is really pulling my attention.
post #1017 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im very IR sensitive as I never experienced any on my old 52" LCD. And I saw it on every plasma I ever had the chance to watch.. But the size/price ratio on the 64d8000 is really pulling my attention.

I have a Tos40E200 LCD in my house. The PQ is crappy in comparison to my plasma and the input lag is very bad.
post #1018 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've had a Samsung plasma (5064) for almost four years and I don't think I've ever seen IR on it.
post #1019 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:

For what its worth, the IR on the d7000 vs. the c8000 is muc better. I have noticed it a very small bit, but not bad at all.
post #1020 of 5104 Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

After I finish gaming, a good rule of thumb that I do is run the built-in IR prevention slides in the system menu for about 30min after. I don't play long enough to cause any type of IR, but I like to be on the safe side and run those built-in slides just in case.....can't hurt anything.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Pn64d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page