AVS Forum banner
693K views 5K replies 748 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
#102 ·
Instead of just concentrating on the black levels look at the whole picture. I don't think I have seen any comments on the very linear gamma which is spot on 2.2. How about the color points. Luminance levels at almost zero as are the deltaE color errors. Seems like a pretty nice tv to me.

Chad is absolutely correct when he says that mll is irrelevant during a calibration as is contrast ratio which is something else that a lot of people look at. CR and mll are whatever they are when the set is calibrated. If you really look at Chad's charts from this and other years he doesn't even show 0 IRE on them. Keep up the good work Chad.

#103 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51
Instead of just concentrating on the black levels look at the whole picture. I don't think I have seen any comments on the very linear gamma which is spot on 2.2. How about the color points. Luminance levels at almost zero as are the deltaE color errors. Seems like a pretty nice tv to me.

Chad is absolutely correct when he says that mll is irrelevant during a calibration as is contrast ratio which is something else that a lot of people look at. CR and mll are whatever they are when the set is calibrated. If you really look at Chad's charts from this and other years he doesn't even show 0 IRE on them. Keep up the good work Chad.
I agree. I was not trying to insult Chad at all. I am sure it has excellent PQ and am currently watching on a 6yr old 32" LCD and I know anything will be better than what I have now and don't really care to much about mll. I am just trying to decide between the D550 and the ST30.

#104 ·
Was it really a firmware update that brought last year's 50" in line with the 58/63"? Or was it just phosphor aging?

It doesn't make sense because D-Nice says he has measured ten 50C7000's at 0.009ftL-0.01ftL , so how could it be worse for 2011? It is assumed that the ones D-Nice measured were from customers who had broken them in, so maybe that is the difference.

I wonder if it's possible for Chad to re-measure a 50C7000 with high hours to check this.

Also interesting that Chad has re-measured the ST30 at 0.007ftL now that it has had a chance to cool down. That's a difference of 0.005ftL from his initial reading! If we subtract the same amount from the D8000's 0.016ftL we get 0.011ftL , which is more in line with D-Nice's readings.

Something is going on, I don't know what it is but it's something.

#105 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran586
I agree. I was not trying to insult Chad at all. I am sure it has excellent PQ and am currently watching on a 6yr old 32" LCD and I know anything will be better than what I have now and don't really care to much about mll. I am just trying to decide between the D550 and the ST30.
I wasn't directing towards you specifically.

#106 ·
Quote:
Last years model had the exact same colour performance too, so that is nothing to get excited about. All that needed fixing was the buzzing and black levels and they would have outright the best TV. But they didn't...

P.S 2.2 gamma is wrong, please stop using it

#107 ·
A problem with last year's Sammy panels was a quite noticable shift towards pink as the panel aged. This could be seen quite easily at a showroom when placed beside plasmas from other manufacturers. I hope they've done something to promote more even ageing of its panels phosphors or have software to counter it.

#108 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensunbluesky
A problem with last year's Sammy panels was a quite noticable shift towards pink as the panel aged.
I have not witnessed this on any display models which I frequently browse, but if it did occur it should be easily correctable with the white balance controls.

Quote:
This could be seen quite easily at a showroom when placed beside plasmas from other manufacturers.
All the manufacturers are running different white balance settings with most of them tinted blue, so you can't really compare them this way. If one is running D75 and the one next to it is D65 then the D65 will probably look yellow-brown in comparison, when it is actually more correct.

I'm not trying to defend Samsung...I just haven't seen any with a pink tint..and I've seen a lot. I have however observed a couple of 42C450's at different stores with unusually dim picture even at max brightness settings which I would deem as faulty. Not seen it on any 50C450's though....

#109 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic
Last years model had the exact same colour performance too, so that is nothing to get excited about. All that needed fixing was the buzzing and black levels and they would have outright the best TV. But they didn't...

P.S 2.2 gamma is wrong, please stop using it
I totally understand that 2.2 is not a standard but there is nothing wrong with 2.2. I used it because that is what he calibrated to. From what I have read of user comments the buzzing is not there so far. However I hardly think that the relatively few samples so far are enough to make a determination one way or another. Let's wait and see.

#110 ·
Quote:
I have not witnessed this on any display models which I frequently browse, but if it did occur it should be easily correctable with the white balance controls.

All the manufacturers are running different white balance settings with most of them tinted blue, so you can't really compare them this way. If one is running D75 and the one next to it is D65 then the D65 will probably look yellow-brown in comparison, when it is actually more correct.

I'm not trying to defend Samsung...I just haven't seen any with a pink tint..and I've seen a lot. I have however observed a couple of 42C450's at different stores with unusually dim picture even at max brightness settings which I would deem as faulty. Not seen it on any 50C450's though....
I can confirm that the pinkness is due to ageing of the pixels. The Samsung C8000 panels do not start out being pink. One forum member used his Samsung (can't remember which model) in 4:3 mode (without vertical grey bars) for a couple of years to watch free-to-air SD broadcasts. After those few years of abuse, his TV (when displaying a white or grey screen) now shows a strong pink bias covering the 4:3 areas of the screen and a reasonably well-balanced white/grey for the side bars.

But yes I'm sure a white-balance calibration would fix the problem but that compensation would probably mean losing out on getting the brightest whites possible since we'll be dimming the red phosphors to offset the pink push.

#111 ·
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with 2.2.
Yes there is! It doesn't produce correct brightness tracking from dark to light when viewing under dim lighting conditions (and let's face it, most of us view this way).

Unless you are calibrating for high ambient light, you have no excuse for using 2.2

Quote:
But yes I'm sure a white-balance calibration would fix the problem but that compensation would probably mean losing out on getting the brightest whites possible since we'll be dimming the red phosphors to offset the pink push.
Could raise green+blue instead to avoid losing light output.

#112 ·
Quote:
Yes there is! It doesn't produce correct brightness tracking from dark to light when viewing under dim lighting conditions (and let's face it, most of us view this way).

Unless you are calibrating for high ambient light, you have no excuse for using 2.2

Could raise green+blue instead to avoid losing light output.
First off people view in all different lighting conditions. The exact reason why most people have a calibrated day and night mode. To say 2.2 is wrong is wrong on your part. It is not correct at times but then 2.3 or 2.15 is not correct at times based on lighting conditions. It is a setting that can be used in certain situations just like 2.3. Unfortunatley not all sets have adjustable gamma so you are stuck with whatever you get to use in all lighting conditions. Such as the 1.9 gamma of the Panny S2.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 /forum/post/20171147

First off people view in all different lighting conditions. The exact reason why most people have a calibrated day and night mode. To say 2.2 is wrong is wrong on your part. It is not correct at times but then 2.3 or 2.15 is not correct at times based on lighting conditions. It is a setting that can be used in certain situations just like 2.3. Unfortunatley not all sets have adjustable gamma so you are stuck with whatever you get to use in all lighting conditions. Such as the 1.9 gamma of the Panny S2.

Fair points

I probably should have been more clear about 2.2 only being wrong for dim lighting conditions. I just assumed that most of us calibrate for dim lighting conditions since that is the environment plasma is recommended for, and that which most of us would put more preference towards.

Strange thing is, I don't personally feel the need to reduce gamma for daytime viewing either. I just don't feel it affects the perceptual uniformity of the image that much (if at all). I know the science says otherwise but subjectively I'm just not feeling it.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 /forum/post/20170053

Can everyone please step away from the ledge? Who cares if the black level is not quite as low as you were hoping? The picture quality is fantastic, the TV looks great, costs less than Panasonic, probably has no buzz this year, and you guys still want to complain and talk about 'Oh, I guess I have to go buy a Panasonic now?"

The guy who posted his opinion on the black level with and without CS engaged, saying they looked identical, is probably RIGHT...they probably do look identical...to most of us. If he didn't notice it, most people won't, either.

Is it really worth not buying an otherwise fabulous TV just because the black level is slightly higher than a competing model? A competing model with a host of other issues?

That very much depends on the person. If Samsung promised significant picture improvment in the 2011 models (and folks were gullible enough to believe that), they have a right to be upset. Let them suffer if they want.

#119 ·
59" and 64" are going to be nasty if they get the MLL down to 0.008fL or lower and mirror that performance. The post calibration charts are crazy good in everything else, but honestly, 0.0165fL is laughable for a $2300 50" panel in 2011. Did you mess with a D550 while you were there Chad?

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic /forum/post/20170790

Was it really a firmware update that brought last year's 50" in line with the 58/63"? Or was it just phosphor aging?

The MLL change was immediately quite noticeable after a firmware update, and some people re-measured their TV's MLL to confirm the difference. As much as I remember, I don't recall how much the MLL improved, and furthermore, the changes on 50" and 58"/63", respectively. Also, did panel aging decrease it more? Maybe, but if so, it should've been very little at that point; even now it should be relatively little.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensunbluesky /forum/post/20170955

I can confirm that the pinkness is due to ageing of the pixels. The Samsung C8000 panels do not start out being pink. One forum member used his Samsung (can't remember which model) in 4:3 mode (without vertical grey bars) for a couple of years to watch free-to-air SD broadcasts. After those few years of abuse, his TV (when displaying a white or grey screen) now shows a strong pink bias covering the 4:3 areas of the screen and a reasonably well-balanced white/grey for the side bars.

Really, that sounds interesting, seeing as the C8000 has only been on the market for less than a year, 10.75 mos. to be more specific.

You must be thinking of the '09 B800 series; IIRC, they had the pink color shift problem; (I think the '08s had it too, I can't remember.)

I don't recall a single '10 C8000/7000/6500 mentioning a pink shift. I followed the Samsungs closely for quite a while in '10; if it was, indeed, talked about on AVS, if must've been a rare problem, if it existed.

#122 ·
Is the line bleed better than the 7000 series? I have a store credit for a faulty 63" C series, waiting on the new models to surface to either pick up the plasma or the LCD. Line bleed is a big issue for me, as I do use a HTPC here and there for browsing internet and found the 7000 series lacking in this department.

Can anyone post a pic of some line bleed test screens? Pretty please

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0yce /forum/post/20168960

I've seen it mentioned a few times that the 7000 and 8000s are coming with vouchers for glasses.

Is this confirmed?

I picked up a PN59D8000 from Best Buy today and there is no voucher in the box for glasses.

If anybody is interested, Best Buy warehouse in Woodridge IL had approximately 65 units of this TV earlier today.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/20169623

I do black level measurements when requested by the customer, but it is for their amusement or educational purposes only; it doesn't effect the calibration.
It affects gammacalibration of the lowest IREs or am I mistaken?

And, I have to repeat my question Chad: How is it with the PWM-Noise near black when you take it versus the ST30?

I sit very close to the TV and so the real resolution and definition near black is important to me.

EDIT: The finer the PWM-noise near black the better.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic /forum/post/20171242

Fair points

I probably should have been more clear about 2.2 only being wrong for dim lighting conditions. I just assumed that most of us calibrate for dim lighting conditions since that is the environment plasma is recommended for, and that which most of us would put more preference towards.

What gammasetting do you use?

I have to admit, that I use 2.22 in a pitch dark room wth my LG PK350 at the moment.