Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was at BB to see the latest on my PN64D8000 and they had one in the box ready to go that was going to be their display. I they asked me if I wanted this one or wait a week for mine to come in. I waited ... just so that I don't have one of the first one out of the factory.

Anyways .. since I was there I had them open it to see what kind of goodies came in it.

Touchscreen remote .... not in there
Query remote ............. included
Glasses ..................... not in there

The bezel looks nothing like the picture from CES but I will say that it looks sharp ... now the stand .. well, that is not going to matter since I will be hanging this puppy with the NEW Samsung WMN2000CX ... http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-...s/WMN2000CX/ZA for only 199.00, better than any mount out there for the price.

Nothing yet on the bundles, but since I was a customer service issue, they are throwing in the New starter kit and Bluray BD-D6900 once that come out.

I gotta say .. I am real excited and just counting down the days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone wishing to see the D8000 can see one at the Best Buy in Porter Ranch, CA.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #153 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iButterfingers View Post

So I was at BB to see the latest on my PN64D8000 and they had one in the box ready to go that was going to be their display. I they asked me if I wanted this one or wait a week for mine to come in. I waited ... just so that I don't have one of the first one out of the factory.

Anyways .. since I was there I had them open it to see what kind of goodies came in it.

Touchscreen remote .... not in there
Query remote ............. included
Glasses ..................... not in there

The bezel looks nothing like the picture from CES but I will say that it looks sharp ... now the stand .. well, that is not going to matter since I will be hanging this puppy with the NEW Samsung WMN2000CX ... http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-...s/WMN2000CX/ZA for only 199.00, better than any mount out there for the price.

Nothing yet on the bundles, but since I was a customer service issue, they are throwing in the New starter kit and Bluray BD-D6900 once that come out.

I gotta say .. I am real excited and just counting down the days.

Something does not make sense with this mount. it fits the 63c8000 but not the 63c7000. I thought the frame was identical. I think its a mistake. Click on view all models compatible and see what I mean.
post #154 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensunbluesky View Post

Okay... Found the link.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3056414

My apologies for it was not on these forums but a Singapore forum. Keep in mind that in Singapore, UK and a few other countries, the C7000 is equivalent to the US C8000 which has the extra black filter and the same aesthetics.

Look at the pictures in the link and read your way down to post number 3 for a picture of the burned-in Sammy Plasma. It's not a 2 year old model but actually a 3 year old model that showed the aged pinkish panel in the 4:3 aspect portion of the screen.

So to confirm, no one here has noticed a pinkish tint on an aged 2010 Sammy Plasma in the showroom when standing next to plasmas from Panny or LG?

I saw a 58" C8000 on display today that has a very noticeable pinkish tint. I could clearly see it without needing to compare it to other plasmas.

I don't know how common this problem is, but the salesman (who I've known for a couple years and bought several TVs from) told me he has seen the same pinkish tint on other 2010 Samsung plasmas as they age. I didn't ask specifics about which other models and sizes, and the only one I've seen it on is a 58" C8000.
post #155 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB23 View Post

I saw a 58" C8000 on display today that has a very noticeable pinkish tint. I could clearly see it without needing to compare it to other plasmas.

I don't know how common this problem is, but the salesman (who I've known for a couple years and bought several TVs from) told me he has seen the same pinkish tint on other 2010 Samsung plasmas as they age. I didn't ask specifics about which other models and sizes, and the only one I've seen it on is a 58" C8000.

Nobody else on this forum has seen what you are describing.
post #156 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

yes.... we also need a D7000 review!

most of us AVS members do not like the looks of the D8000 and would only buy the D8000 Plasma
if it's significantly better than the D7000 Plasma.

The D8000 bezel looks fabulous to me--it's the stand that I'm not very fond of. The stand is shiny chrome looking, and does not match the darker brushed look of the bezel.

Samsung bozos. Why don't these Samsung clowns make the stands interchangeable so you can get a nice brushed rectangular stand and stick it on the D8000?

Incompetents.
post #157 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The D8000 is a very, very dark titanium color. ( In the pic above, you can see the color in the center ) Not even close to the bright silver in the stock photos on the net ! Most AVS members will be just fine with the D8000 look

I would be quite pleased with the very dark titanium bezel, if I was wall mounting. The shiny chrome bird-claw stand clashes with the dark bezel.

Samsung bozos!
post #158 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

I would be quite pleased with the very dark titanium bezel, if I was wall mounting. The shiny chrome bird-claw stand clashes with the dark bezel.

Samsung bozos!

The claw stand is hideous, but even with that ugly stand, it still doesn't hold a candle to the ugly, bloated VT25

*cringes*
post #159 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Samsungs largest screens have the stand already attached as with last years 63C8000.

Yup. My 58's and 63 Samsung C model plasmas had the stand attached, but the 50's came with the stand not attached.
post #160 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM

I can only laugh at all the hysteria on these threads about black level readings. People hear about one measly measurement and they get all hysterical and worked up as if that is the absolute real level, set in stone. It is not. When D-Nice measures 10 Sammys and they all read 0.016 fL, then maybe y'all will have something to genuinely whine about.

I can assure you that all my C model Samsungs did not have 0.026 fL blacks or whatever Chad measured on the 50C7000 last year, and I highly doubt that the D models will be 0.016 fL either. That would be about twice higher than last year's. Does anyone really believe that the D models will have blacks twice as light as last year's? Get real, people! Calm down and stop acting like children!

Either this model had some kind of glitch, like was reported very early in the year last year, which will be addressed by firmware, or Chad was not meticulous enough in his measurements, or possibly both.

But calm down, people.

Chad has already revised his measurement of the ST30 lower, and his early reading on the C7000 last year did not turn out to be the benchmark for all Samsung plasmas.

My 50C7000 was nowhere near 0.026 fL. Mine was not fresh out of the factory though, either. Mine was after a few months, and I upgraded the FW and all was well. My 58s and 63 were darker than the 50, however.
post #161 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 582
^^^ Right on........To get a true black level reading one should test about 10 units and then average them together !!

Quote:

Samsung bozos!

One guy told me he was painting it black......

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #162 of 5104 Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can only laugh at all the hysteria on these threads about black level readings. People hear about one measly measurement and they get all hysterical and worked up as if that is the absolute real level, set in stone. It is not. When D-Nice measures 10 Sammys and they all read 0.016 fL, then maybe y'all will have something to genuinely whine about.

I can assure you that all my C model Samsungs did not have 0.026 fL blacks or whatever Chad measured on the 50C7000 last year, and I highly doubt that the D models will be 0.016 fL either. That would be about twice higher than last year's. Does anyone really believe that the D models will have blacks twice as light as last year's? Get real, people! Calm down and stop acting like children!

Either this model had some kind of glitch, like was reported very early in the year last year, which will be addressed by firmware, or Chad was not meticulous enough in his measurements, or possibly both.

But calm down, people.

Chad has already revised his measurement of the ST30 lower, and his early reading on the C7000 last year did not turn out to be the benchmark for all Samsung plasmas.

My 50C7000 was nowhere near 0.026 fL. Mine was not fresh out of the factory though, either. Mine was after a few months, and I upgraded the FW and all was well. My 58s and 63 were darker than the 50, however.

Well...somebody had to say it.
My thoughts on this matter are quite similar.
post #163 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
But calm down, people.
Ok I have calmed down now

Probably still looking at getting the 59D7000 myself. Might have to take the meter into the showroom beforehand though
post #164 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
anyone with a 59" or 64" D8000 or D7000 able to measure black levels on their set?
post #165 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 AM

On the PN51D6500DFXZA, what does the DFXZA mean?

Has it been confirmed the D6500 and D8000 are similar?
post #166 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post
Nobody else on this forum has seen what you are describing.
I'd say that statement is a bit sweeping. There are two of us on this forum so far who have noticed this issue and I'm quite sure more will show up. Perhaps you should re-word your statement to:

"Nobody else on this forum has NOTICED what you are describing".
post #167 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post

Ok I have calmed down now
Probably still looking at getting the 59D7000 myself. Might have to take the meter into the showroom beforehand though

A dark enviroment always helps When you buy the meter for about 7K, let us know how much you want for that now---used meter after you use it

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #168 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I began my evaluation by checking out the various picture mode presets, and quickly found that Movie mode looked the most natural and true to life. Without making any other changes to the picture besides choosing Movie mode, I put in some familiar Blu Ray demo material. I also chose the best modes for the neighboring UN46D8000 and LG 60PZ550, and fed them all 1080i and 1080P/24 via a high quality HDMI distribution amp. The room was dark except for the light output of the three TVs on display.

*snip*

On Samsung's C8000 and C7000 models, I found that the black level measured and looked very significantly better (darker) on the 58 and 63" panel sizes than the 50" panel I initially reviewed. I have a feeling that may be the case with the D8000 as well. Using a Chroma5 colorimeter that is rated to read accurately down to at least .014 fL and measuring in a dark room, I measured a black level of .0165 fL without Cinema Smooth engaged. With a 1080P/24 input and Cinema Smooth turned on, as most videophiles would greatly prefer to watch their Blu Rays, the black level deteriorated to .0225 fL. The modified ANSI contrast ratio measured a good 1564:1. The PN51D8000 can make a nice and bright image; I could get 54-55 fL of light output with no compromise in performance. That, along with the dark screen filter, combine to help the PN51D8000 look much punchier and dynamic than the average plasma in a typical room.

Chad, if I may ask, how long did you run the set, and in what picture mode, before you began your review? By that I mean, did you unbox the television, plug it in and let it run for several hours before reviewing? I think we've discussed this before, but what I've discovered with Samsung plasma's in the past is that running them at high contrast (which is probably the default settings) for hours will actually hinder black level performance significantly. The set gets what I call full-screen image retention, with all the phosphors being so illuminated they can't drop down to their deepest black level.

Long story short, running in movie mode with a contrast of 80% is going to result in far better black levels than a Samsung plasma that's been running in standard mode with a contrast of 98% for hours on end. But changing the contrast and picture mode won't show an instant improvement; the phosphors have to "cool down" for several hours first. Perhaps none of this is true for newer Samsung plasmas, but if they're still as prone to image retention as they were in 2009 then I would very much doubt they don't still suffer from this issue.

for my home theater setup
post #169 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM

My local Fry's has the PN59D7000 in stock. Anyone have experience with them and know if I could possibly get them to match my ABT.com deal?
post #170 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nconnella View Post

My local Fry's has the PN59D7000 in stock. Anyone have experience with them and know if I could possibly get them to match my ABT.com deal?

You probably could. I've done it. Bring a print out. Their customer service sucks but prices are pretty good.
post #171 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post

You probably could. I've done it. Bring a print out. Their customer service sucks but prices are pretty good.

Awesome. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
post #172 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

When doing a calibration on a new set. Chris will run a break in dvd before Chad arrives before calibrating. This is opposite of what YOU have been saying.
Calibrating after 100 hours or so will let you know if you bought a Lemmon or not. Don't want to pay for a calibration and then find out your set has issues.

You totally misread the original post and my response to it. Don't worry though. Limited comprehension is a chronic problem on many of these threads. You are definitely not alone.
post #173 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nconnella View Post

Frys (CA) offers Internet price matching. However, you have to add taxes that you may not pay on-line.
post #174 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymnfun View Post

On the PN51D6500DFXZA, what does the DFXZA mean?

IIRC, it is a Samsung vendor tracking code; no differences.
post #175 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

When you buy the meter for about 7K, let us know how much you want for that now---used meter after you use it

Nah I'll just stick with my $300 i1d2

Yeah yeah I know it's not as accurate but it's given me good readings down to about .006ftL
post #176 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Well my pn59d8000 coming tomorrow. Exchanging my piece of **** pn58c8000 my concern is buzzing.I am almost positive 2011 models buzz. Also don't understand why the new plasma screen is not same as in cnet photos. Main concern is buzzing. Will post photos soon as I get it in morning.
post #177 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

Well my pn59d8000 coming tomorrow. Exchanging my piece of **** pn58c8000 my concern is buzzing.I am almost positive 2011 models buzz. Also don't understand why the new plasma screen is not same as in cnet photos. Main concern is buzzing. Will post photos soon as I get it in morning.

Wait. You are positive that they will buzz.....but haven't seen a 2011 Samsung yet.

Makes sense.
post #178 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

How did you finally convince Samsung to exchange your C series for a D series?

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #179 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Please let us know how it goes as I am in the same boat having returned a 58C7000 due to directional buzzing. I want to get 59D7000 but not if it buzzes! Your input is critical to my purchasing decision.
post #180 of 5104 Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I heard that the 2011's didn't buzz including one person who returned a c8000 due to buzz. But there is one review on BB.com for the d8000 and he says it still buzzes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Pn64d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page