post #272 of 1860 Old 05-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe21 View Post

I would definitely try that. Forgot to put mine on as well

Yep, that fixed the issue. At least, it fixed the distortion and I haven't seen flickering in about 10 minutes of play.

For anyone wondering, the TV came with 2 ferrite cores.

I attached one to the thicker part of the Wii component cable near where it goes in to the TV. I'm not using the second core yet.

Flickering and distorted picture went away right away.
post #273 of 1860 Old 05-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Hello all!

I don't know if it's been gone over before, but I wanted to know if you can play mkv and mp4 @720p from an external HDD on a 450 or 490, connected to tv via USB. Please let me know!
post #274 of 1860 Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channad View Post

Hello all!

I don't know if it's been gone over before, but I wanted to know if you can play mkv and mp4 @720p from an external HDD on a 450 or 490, connected to tv via USB. Please let me know!

Not with the US 450 AFAIK.
post #275 of 1860 Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusson View Post
Has anyone tried hooking this TV up to a computer? Are there any problems with hooking it up through VGA?
I'm not sure if you are aware but this TV does not have a standard VGA monitor connection like some LCD's do. The only way I know to hook it to a computer is if your video card has either HDMI or DVI. With an HDMI out on your video card you just need to hook a standard HDMI cable to your card then to the TV. If you have a video card with DVI out you can get a DVI to HDMI cable from Monoprice. This is the cable I used http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2. I have experienced no problems. A computer is the only thing my TV is connected to.
post #276 of 1860 Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGimp View Post

I'm not sure if you are aware but this TV does not have a standard VGA monitor connection like some LCD's do. The only way I know to hook it to a computer is if your video card has either HDMI or DVI. With an HDMI out on your video card you just need to hook a standard HDMI cable to your card then to the TV. If you have a video card with DVI out you can get a DVI to HDMI cable from Monoprice. This is the cable I used http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2. I have experienced no problems. A computer is the only thing my TV is connected to.

Thanks for the info. I was unaware that it didn't have a VGA input. I actually already have a DVI to HDMI cable, but the one I have is so thick that it's hard to move.
post #277 of 1860 Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
Just got my HDMI cable hooked up to the cable box/tv. Wow. So much better! Still need to fine tune the settings

Cable: http://www.firefold.com/FREE-SHIPPIN...1192C1325.aspx

Anyone finding other people telling you that you bought the wrong plasma? Everyone loves Panny's and are telling me I made a bad decision. I compared this D450 51" with the 50" Panny S30 in store and there was no comparison on the same picture settings. Has anyone owned both?
post #278 of 1860 Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM

I'm a fanboy of Samsung products (have owned a 32" LCD, a 23" LED for PC, and now a plasma today) and have loved them. There's no doubt that Panasonic makes great products but I've had good luck with Samsung so I'm sticking with them.
post #279 of 1860 Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I brought home a Panasonic 42X3 which was on par with the 43D450 in terms of price, simply based on the hype of Panny plasmas. I got it home, and was severly disappointed to say the least. No adjustable settings like the Sammy, nowhere near as bright or vivid, no matter the mode I put it on. Nowhere near as stylish. To me, it was a no brainer, based on what I saw with my own two eyes. To each his own though.

XBOX Live Gamertag: D Moolah

"Be good, or be good at it"
post #280 of 1860 Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpboy View Post

Quick question my father in law is going to pick up a 43D450 tomorrow from Sam's Club but he wanted to know if it came with an HDMI cable or will he have to buy one separately? I thought my LG 32LE5300 came with one included but I couldn't remember.

Thanks

Sam's Club deals tend to bundle so there may be everything you need included.

Stalker
post #281 of 1860 Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

I brought home a Panasonic 42X3 which was on par with the 43D450 in terms of price, simply based on the hype of Panny plasmas. I got it home, and was severly disappointed to say the least. No adjustable settings like the Sammy, nowhere near as bright or vivid, no matter the mode I put it on. Nowhere near as stylish. To me, it was a no brainer, based on what I saw with my own two eyes. To each his own though.

I agree that on the entry level 720p sets, the Samsung plasmas would be my choice over the Panasonic, and I believe the lines of resolution are higher on the 50" Samsungs. But on the 1080p models, both brands make very good displays based upon your preferences.
post #282 of 1860 Old 05-14-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channad View Post

Hello all!

you can play pretty much any video file you can imagine on the 490..(cant speak for the 450, i have the 490) ..i havent run into any problems with any at all. we use the HDD for 3D movies and they look great on there too.
post #283 of 1860 Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy84 View Post

This is the settings I found were the best

Use the film mode with Warm 2 for the most accuracte starting point.

Cell: 20 (best to max this out and adjust contrast instead)

I see from you and a few others, that in Europe, for D450, 'Cell Light' goes to 20, and in USA, it goes to 10. (For higher models, it goes to 20 in USA)

So, it must be the case that 20 = 10 for USA, and 18 = 9 for USA, etc.. So, we can't set the equivalent of odd numbers (19 would equal 9.5).

Quote:
Contrast: 80 - anything higher and the gamme goes down i bright scenes for a washed out look.
Brightness: 55
Color: 52

Everyone seems to be setting Color similar to your setting, IIRC. However, even with your other settings, I still could only get raise the color to 43. I wonder why that is?

Quote:
Tint: 50/50 (unchanged)
Sharpness: 0 (anything higher will add sharpening effects that reduce quality of the picutre).

Every fancy option should be turned off, such as noise reduction, skin tones etc (my translation might be off because my tv is in Swedish). Most should be off in film mode. However, I had to turn noise reduction on and then off for it to actually be off.

How did you know that NR (Noise Reduction) was really on?
I toggled this setting on my TV, just to be sure. I wonder what other settings might really be on; I haven't felt like toggling all of the settings.

Quote:
Also set Gamma to -1. This will result in slightly to high gamme in dark scenes (less shadow detail) but any other value will result in very low gamma (note that -1 increases gamma...) for bright scenes and will make the picture look washed out.

Colorspace should be set to auto. Anything else will result in oversaturated and very inaccurate colors, especially green and red.

Once color and tint is set accurately, the colors will be good for everything except green that is a little bit oversaturated (i doubt most people will be disturbed by it). However, red will be close to excellent (deltaE = 4) and blue will be perfect (DeltaE = 1). The secondaries will also be reasonably good.

Now, because this TV set has the option to display one color at a time, you can actually calibrate color and tint without a colorimeter to as good values as with one (according to my measures at least). You only need a calibration disc (such as AVSHD709 google it) with flashing color bars. The trick is that when you show a blue only image, you should adjust color so that the flashing part of the bars is the same color as the surroundings. I strongly recommend that you do this if you do not have a colorimeter. It is the single most important way to improve pq.

I also suggest that you use red to adjust rather than blue (most commonly used) because red is so oversaturated and a little undersaturated blue is easier to live with than oversaturated reds (that makes people look sunburned).

Now for the white balance, this might be quite diffrent from set to set. But i found it to be over-redish as well as to much blue in it and reduced red gain to 10, and blue-gain to 22. This left the dark parts of the picture to low on red so I adjusted red-offset to 28. Everything else was left alone. This resultated in quite accurate greyscale with most deltae below 3, which is excellent. The only problem is a dip in blue at the same point where gamma dips (70 IRE) but this is stil within tolerable limits (deltaE = 8).

I had to reduce Red-Gain to 0, and left Red-Offset at 25. My changes are just by sight, I still haven't used an HD calibration disc, but I will soon.

I still wonder if there still isn't a bit too much Red, and even not enough or too much Color. HD cable channels vary so much, I try to go by the best PQ channels, but they still vary quite a bit. Even the best quality HD in USA, (IMO), is CBS-HD, I am not sure the picture is quite right, but the lighting varies so much, I need to see more programs.

Quote:
To sum up, once calibrated this TV will give give good greyscale, gamma tracking and color. Thanks to the red-green-blue only mode you can accurately set color and tint without a colorimeter (there is not cms to adjust further) and the greyscale should not be far off in warm2 if you simply reduce red-gain.

Still there is much to gain from using a htpc with native resolution (better picture detail) and using a CMS in MPC HC along with a colorimeter. This is the way I use it now, and I get nearly perfect on everything, showing that this tv has great potential.

A final word of advice. Stay far, far away from entertainment or normal modes since they are awful in terms of picture quality. Further, altough warm2 is overreddish the other modes are even less accurate and simply add more blue to picture, given the whole tv a purple touch that is far from pleasing. If you do not like calibrating, then chooose warm 2 and then reduce red gain till you find the reddish tone is removed.

Note: These settings are for evening viewing in a room with controlled lightning. You might want to up gamma to 0 or even +1 in daytime, even though this will result in poor contrast in bright scenes. However, my contrast setting give quite a bright picture and you might want a lower one to reduce eyestrain. You can go lower, but not higher (because of the gamma problems mentioned). Note that with lowered contrast you will need to adjust brightness and color as well.

I find the Gamma at -1 to be good even in daytime, though it was only moderately bright.

Thanks for the great settings.
post #284 of 1860 Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Gah, I can't get HDMI output from my PC to not completely crush blacks. Frustrating. I didn't have to mess with it with my old 37" LCD, but that was a monitor.

I have a feeling I need to change something in CCC, but I have no idea what.

Using a Radeon 5830.

Any ideas?
post #285 of 1860 Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 PM

have a feeling its not the tv so much as its the graphics cards settings... id try opening those and messing with the levels on that end.
post #286 of 1860 Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post

Hmmm, just noticed the ferrite cores that came with the TV. I have 2 of them. Should I put one on my Wii component cables to fix my problem from a few posts up?

What do the "cores" look like?

WAP 16.

post #287 of 1860 Old 05-15-2011, 06:57 AM
CGM

I just purchased the 43 d440 from BJ and mounted it.........flipped it on and this set buzzed like crazy. Returned it the next day..... is it worth another shot? Should I try a d450 that I can get at sears?

Thanks,

CM
post #288 of 1860 Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

What do the "cores" look like?

Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MQGEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean80 View Post

have a feeling its not the tv so much as its the graphics cards settings... id try opening those and messing with the levels on that end.

Agreed, not sure what to change though. CCC is a mess.
post #289 of 1860 Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

my d450 has no buzzing, unless you mute the tv and put your ear right next to it.

XBOX Live Gamertag: D Moolah

"Be good, or be good at it"
post #290 of 1860 Old 05-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

my d450 has no buzzing, unless you mute the tv and put your ear right next to it.

I could live with that. I could live with hearing a buzz from a foot or two away. But not 8 feet away with low volume. Thanks for the input.
post #291 of 1860 Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM

joining the pn43d450 owners list

got mine at bb earlier
post #292 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM

[quote=gregor7777;20439272]Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MQGEK
Have 2 of them-didnt know what they were for.Any instructions on here for their use? That old saying-now that I have them,what do I do with

WAP 16.

post #293 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

Have 2 of them-didnt know what they were for.Any instructions on here for their use? That old saying-now that I have them,what do I do with

They wrap around near the ends of the input cables (or the TVs power cable) if you are having issues with interference like I was having.

I'm not sure if it is recommended to attach them if you don't currently have any issues. But I doubt it would hurt anything.

The TV manual mentions attaching them to the power cord. Though I have the 51" and in the manual it says only the 43" ships with 2 cores, but mine came with 2 also. Probably a typo.
post #294 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Has anyone had their tv's measured? Or can compare to another tv's black levels?

Thanks
post #295 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm not sure if it is recommended to attach them if you don't currently have any issues. But I doubt it would hurt anything.

The TV manual mentions attaching them to the power cord. Though I have the 51" and in the manual it says only the 43" ships with 2 cores, but mine came with 2 also. Probably a typo.
I attached them both to the power cord, from the start, as the manual says to do for 43" TV; it doesn't say anything about only using them if interference occurs; though, that, indeed, is the reason.
post #296 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
They wrap around near the ends of the input cables (or the TVs power cable) if you are having issues with interference like I was having.

I have 51" and it came with 2. I'm not having any problems at all,so I will put away for a rainy day.Very impressed with this low-end tv.High end to me with the pic and sound.Would love to hook up computer,but cant have everything.

WAP 16.

post #297 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM

I put mine around the power cord as well, although they're too big for it and just slide around.
post #298 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth123123 View Post

Is that the 43 in or the 51 in?

If you don't mind...can you post more photos?

I'm really interested in purchasing the 43 in but I'm concerned about the glare even though i don't have any windows behind me...i do have some lamps i sometimes turn on.

samsung43"D450

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

post #299 of 1860 Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Nice pics. Avatar looks amazing on this tv
post #300 of 1860 Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Menu graphic looks like last year c450 or looks like new Dxxxx models? Look here (from time 1:45 and 3:43) for old c450 and here for Dxxxx. Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn43d490 43 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d450 51 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page