Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1860 Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody pick up a Samsung PN43D490 ??? Any calibration suggestions? Would it be pretty much the same as the PN43D450 in 2D ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1860 Old 05-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Has anyone seen phosphor lag/trails on your set?

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #363 of 1860 Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupuhJoe View Post
Anybody pick up a Samsung PN43D490 ??? Any calibration suggestions? Would it be pretty much the same as the PN43D450 in 2D ???
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

post #364 of 1860 Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I picked a PN43D450 on Monday and have been pretty impressed with it, especially for the price ($420!) First plasma, and I'll think I'll only go with Plasma for an all-in-one display from now on - it's the closest match to Front Projection I've seen. The only thing that bugs me currently is the color doesn't currently compare with my EPSON HC 8350... I'll be waiting a little while to calibrate it properly, but the Plasma is like looking at Fuji 35mm Film while the EPSON has more natural and realistic coloring.

Here's the 2 in simultaneous action...(the Plasma's image it better than this in reality - I guess the refresh rate and relative image brightness was playing tricks with my Ipod...but you can see the color difference between the two [though it is somewhat exaggerated here too])

Great movie choice! One of my favorite hddvd's to watch.
post #365 of 1860 Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading the calibration (pretty close) I read their summation on which I disagree about 70%.As compared to 4 other flat screens Ive owned-32,42,46,55,this 51"is the best pic quality I have had.I guess if it was a Panny it wouldnt have been bashed.

WAP 16.

post #366 of 1860 Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
Break-in is not needed for plasma anymore. The only thing it is good for is that you might want your tv to run a few hours before calibration.

I think the review on televisoninfo is very informative and good, but I just don't get their how they make their conclusions. Compared to all other TV:s there the samsung has a lot better contrast and it only lacks som in peak brightness. This means that it is not the best TV for daytime viewing but great for movie nights. And then they go all crazy about not being able to view the TV from 4 feet away because of resolution. How does that anyway? 8 feet away this tv will be specatcular and you will not be able to see the pixels.

So it seem to me that they ignore excellent black level and contrast, and relatively good colors and regard it as crap because it is not good at daytime viewing from 4 feet away. My guess is that the only place on earth people actually view movies from 4 feet away in daylight is in their testing lab.

Sure this set has its weaknesses but they are all irrelevant for most people who have a normal sized livingroom with and mostly watch TV during the evenings...

Another point they failed to mention is the EXCELLENT input lag on this set, making it great for gaming. Altough, you should not be gaming when the sun is up without curtains
post #367 of 1860 Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Anyone have any problems with the 3D on the D490? Text seems to be blurry when playing Crysis 2?

Also, when hooking up my laptop through HDMI, the screen is cut off on the TV. Any way to fix this?
post #368 of 1860 Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Ok, let me start off by stating that IMO, Plasma TVs are still the best for PQ and motion smoothness among other reasons. I just recently came back from a visit to my local BB and other locally owned stores, and looked at the 2 other choices...LEDs and LCDs. The LEDs seem to be just too artificially bright, and a bit "clay-faced" looking, and had motion blur. The LCDs (which I own one of) "a Samsung" have too much motion blur, as well as still suffering from off-angle fading/degradation??. Both, IMO, could'nt hold a candle to my 6year old Pioneer 43 inch, 720p Plasma set, except for having better blacks.

Now saying that...

I am considering purchasing one of these TVs, as well as some similar Panny's, but if I read the posts here correctly, the North American version of these TVs (The PN43D450/490) can NOT play video files like the European versions can...correct? If so, is there a firmware fix for this? Or do you North American (NA) owners of these sets, have the ability to actually play video files..such as avi's and mkv's?

I thought I had read in this thread, that there were some NA owners of these sets, who CAN play those type of video files, but the Samsung website DOES NOT indicate that these sets can play video files...so what is the once and for all truth...can they, or can't they?

Also, can these sets play internet-based video...like Netflix? Is that option called... Smart-TV? If so, I don't see that listed for these sets either, but I just wanted to check with actual NA owners.

Thanks folks!
post #369 of 1860 Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

the 43D450 doesnt have the SmartTV with the built in applications. As far as video files, I havent tried to play them. I agree with your viewpoints on LEDs and LCDs. This TV outperforms $1000+ sets, and the only complaint I ever get about it is sometimes the glare from my ultrabright living room. That's not really the TVs fault though haha.

XBOX Live Gamertag: D Moolah

"Be good, or be good at it"
post #370 of 1860 Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 AM

I just got my 51" 450 model setup and tried the USB functions last night.

It shows in the manual that the only playback functions for the USB connection is for Audio(MP3) and JPEG files?

"Enjoy photos and/or music files saved on a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device." "Only MP3 and JPEG file formats are supported".

This is what I found to be true on the 51" 450 model. Maybe more than one firmware out there but have NOT seen any reference to it yet?

charlie
post #371 of 1860 Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM

1st post thanks for all of your info over the years as a lurker.

so picked this up at BB at $699 last week for my man cave/game room... not bad price, GREAT value.

Had a 4 YO Samsung DLP and have an Insignia Plasma and Philips LCD in the house already too. So can not compare to higher end sets but this is by FAR the best picture I have seen sitting in my house and as good as anything I have seen on display. Spent about 50-60 hours breaking in and then set it up to my liking using 8300HD cable box and x360 both with HDMI.

ONLY issue I have and question actually is..

when running from HDMI/DVI I am given option to use 1360x768 mode on 360 AKA "optimal" (which I did and set to Extended and RGB).

At first I thought it looked pretty good but after comparing to 720P from xbox and Game mode on tv I found the "PC" mode to be a Vaseline smeared mess compared to a properly adjusted Tv 720P mode. 720P in PC mode is same deal which basically as I understand it turns it into a monitor.

Very curious if others have found a fix for this? It is easily identifiable by going to source with Xbox running on screen and simple edit input from game to PC and you can see the downgrade in clarity. A few settings can be adjusted on limited basis in PC mode and with Xbox display settings but nothing has helped.

anybody else notice this in PC mode? I was hoping to circumvent all the tv processing for decreased lag time although Game mode and all advanced settings off, it SEEMS to be ok.
post #372 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 AM

I finally picked up my PS51d450 this morning!
Unpacked it, installed it.

First thing, the looks. This set is beautiful, the thin bezel and the very pure, simple design makes for a very nice combination. Samsung sure has a killer design department, and it certainly shows here, this set looks like it's 3x more expensive than it is, even turned off... Very reflective screen though!

Let's get to the meat of it, the picture. Turning the TV on, the picture was pretty bad, thanks to the infamous "torch modes" (standard and of course dynamic!), so first thing, setting the picture mode to "movie"! I decided to go for the calibration settings posted earlier right off the start, to get an idea of this TV's capabilities. Turned on my blu-ray player, popped in the Avatar Blu-ray. I know it's not broken in yet, and it will need further refining according to my sources, but...

I am litterally stunned by the picture quality... Vivid, contrasted, detailed, you name it, all the qualities required to display a good picture are here and then more... The black level is excellent, much better than I anticipated, not bezel black but close enough! Pandora was as beautiful as I've ever seen it, to tell you the truth.
My best friend has owned the Panasonic 50g20 for the last month or so, and I've viewed a few movies on that set. Believe me when I say that PQ-wise the 51d450 ls right up there with it. I'd go as far as to say that despite its lower res, it looked more detailed, when Panasonic likes to play it "soft" (for a beautiful result though, no denying that!)
The Panny beats the Sam when it comes to fluidity, no question. Tried the 24p mode, and as Grimmy stated, it's no good at all, better feed the set with a1080p, 60hz signal for a very decent result!
I've only had time to "play" with my new toy for an hour or so, but so far I am impressed. It buries any LED set I've seen easily, and already reaches performances you would only expect from much more expensive plasma sets.

I'll come back soon with more infos and hopefully pictures!
post #373 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Im wondering what issues people are having with 24p for Blu Rays? I have seen slight stutter here and there, and I mostly attribute that to the disc loading. Unless my eyes dont pick it up, I dont really get judder or anything funky when playing at 24p. What Blu Ray players are you guys using?

post #374 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM

I see there's a firmware update from May 11th, saying it improves PQ and performance. Has anyone installed this yet?

43D490 - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN43D490A1DXZA
there's also one for D450's

post #375 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Upon looking at closer inspection on a FULL white background, there is some ever so slight green/gray tint on the left side of the screen (very unnoticeable) with some commonly dirty spots on the white screen.

This is only when the screen is fully white so it's no problem for me. I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't put an all white pic on there. That's still 15 less problems than my LED HDTV had.
post #376 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Well, this TV does have a buzz, however I decided I like it better than the entry level X3 series Panasonic. I'd say it has more of a "red push" but not bad enough for me to trade for a Panasonic. The buzz is minimal, and I dont hear it unless the TV is muted.
post #377 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

just noticed this firmware update was available. i need to find my flash drive so i can try t out

post #378 of 1860 Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Actually, it seems much more that its just a slight discoloration. No green tint issue, and very unnoticeable even with a full white screen, so it isn't exchange worthy.

DSE is on here, but that's expected of all plasmas, correct? I wasn't too worried because my friends 60" LG PK model was a lot worse (and he exchanged it 3 times - same problem).
post #379 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM

My 43D490 will be here soon.

What's a good way to break in this plasma?

post #380 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Hey all, I got a pn51d490 back on Friday. Unfortunately, I didn't get much time with it this weekend with the holiday and all but so far I can't complain about it.

I tried the settings from Grimmy I believe and didn't care too much for it. This is the first plasma I've owned so perhaps I was doing it wrong. Whites looked yellowy and greys were more flesh toned. I tried changing a bunch of things around and made things look better but I don't have any settings as I am at work right now. (Mostly making it brighter and putting it in standard mode and cool cured the problem for me) I'm a bit shade color blind though YMMV. Blacks are to my liking. Like people have said, they aren't bezel black but they are black enough. Colors are wonderful. I can hear a really faint buzzing when it's on mute and it's pretty quiet in the room and I'm sitting like 2 feet from it. Nothing I can notice at all with the sound on.

Gaming on it is a blast. I've never owned a television this large before and it's awesome. I have both a 360 and a ps3 and putting it into game mode for both works just fine with me. No blurring or ghosting that I have seen. I haven't played any real fast moving stuff as of yet, mostly Call of Duty, Halo, and LA Noire so far.

I have one 3D movie, that being Tron: Legacy, and watching it in 3D is very nice. I don't notice any crosstalk. One thing that I saw but not necessarily bothered me and I did take note of was that although it's in 3D, it wasn't really popping out of the screen. Not that Tron has effects like that much or was filmed that way but when watching some of the demos in the store they display some things that really pop out of the screen. The 3D for the movie makes it look more like it has 3D depth not the popping out effect. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know. I'll have to mess with it. Maybe because I left it in game mode on my ps3.

The glare on the screen is pretty apparent. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with tons of light or windows in the room that can't be controlled. I have it in my bedroom till the mancave is done with one window directly to it's left which makes it not so bad.

To sum it up, I love this thing. For the price, the size, 3D, and they bundled 2 3D glasses with it at BB for free it is to me an awesome deal. It's been a sweet 5 days with it so far.

Edit: I haven't done really anything to break it in per se. Just made sure that nothing is too stagnant on the screen. If I've gone away for more then a bit with a game on pause or something, I turn on the scrolling bar in the menu to make sure nothing funky happens. I haven't noticed any burn in or IR at all.
post #381 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM

After a few hours of testing and fiddling around, I confirm that the overall PQ is astounding for the price, really. I use Grimmy's settings as they suit my taste better than the ones from Televisioninfo, and it seems to be a good starting point. However, I am slightly bugged by the yellowish whites induced by the "warm 2" mode. I didn't notice it at all until I popped in "Sin City". should I try to correct it by changing some values in the "white balance" section, or should I just use the "standard" or "warm1" mode? I don't want to mess up the overall great color reproduction of the tv, just this little detail!
post #382 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klocker View Post

ONLY issue I have and question actually is..

when running from HDMI/DVI I am given option to use 1360x768 mode on 360 AKA "optimal" (which I did and set to Extended and RGB).

At first I thought it looked pretty good but after comparing to 720P from xbox and Game mode on tv I found the "PC" mode to be a Vaseline smeared mess compared to a properly adjusted Tv 720P mode. 720P in PC mode is same deal which basically as I understand it turns it into a monitor.

Very curious if others have found a fix for this? It is easily identifiable by going to source with Xbox running on screen and simple edit input from game to PC and you can see the downgrade in clarity. A few settings can be adjusted on limited basis in PC mode and with Xbox display settings but nothing has helped.

this is on a PN51450

sorry to quote myself but I think I figured out my mistake...

it is ONLY vaseline-like blurry when using a res that is being scaled (720, 1080 etc) and then selecting PC mode for the HDMI/DVI input.

When selecting Optimal res (1360x768, YCbCr color) although it upscales SLIGHTLY and displays in 16:9 mode it is gorgeous. Now what's weird is, it is a little softer picture but it is almost as if DoF, motion blur and anti-aliasing actually WORK now. At first I thought it was too smooth but it is as it is supposed to be by the game designer. It looks really nice. Can always get a little sharper (more aliased) image by using 720p and game mode but 1360x768 (no game mode as the tv is in monitor mode anyway for low lag) looks amazing.

Other advantages over game mode is you can now select Movie mode and although it only displays at 16:9, it renders this res almost the same as screen fit (not as overscanned as 720p). It also leaves just enough wiggle room that Pixel shift actually works too! Red Dead Redemption is jaw dropping as AC:Brohood and Crysis 2. Very, very pleased.
post #383 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsou View Post

After a few hours of testing and fiddling around, I confirm that the overall PQ is astounding for the price, really. I use Grimmy's settings as they suit my taste better than the ones from Televisioninfo, and it seems to be a good starting point. However, I am slightly bugged by the yellowish whites induced by the "warm 2" mode. I didn't notice it at all until I popped in "Sin City". should I try to correct it by changing some values in the "white balance" section, or should I just use the "standard" or "warm1" mode? I don't want to mess up the overall great color reproduction of the tv, just this little detail!

Every single accurate white I've seen, has not been the blazingly 'white' one, but a more yellowish tone.

It is no longer yellow to me now that I stopped flipping through warm 1 and warm 2.

Just leave it on Warm 2 and don't flip between the two. It looks perfectly great white to me.

To be honest, the white shown on Warm 1 through Cool, are not accurate at all from my previous calibrations, finding that almost ALL of them calibrate to a more 'yellow tint' comparatively. By itself, it does not look yellow, you just have to stop A/Bing it, that's all.
post #384 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelyn View Post

Every single accurate white I've seen, has not been the blazingly 'white' one, but a more yellowish tone.

It is no longer yellow to me now that I stopped flipping through warm 1 and warm 2.

Just leave it on Warm 2 and don't flip between the two. It looks perfectly great white to me.

To be honest, the white shown on Warm 1 through Cool, are not accurate at all from my previous calibrations, finding that almost ALL of them calibrate to a more 'yellow tint' comparatively. By itself, it does not look yellow, you just have to stop A/Bing it, that's all.

I agree. It could also just be that particular movie. I used to use Warm1, but warm2 makes everything much more natural and realistic. Before, whites were almost too white and would cause some eyestrain haha

post #385 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone used the fimware update and noticed an improvement in PQ? Im going to try n update mine tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. If only I could find my flashdrive...

post #386 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 PM

I just got back from the movies, I went to see the last X-Men (very good movie btw). As I was concerned about the white reproduction of the set, I decided to pay close attention to the whites during the movie. And you guys seem to be right, they too were slightly yellowish, giving an overall sense of warmth and a cinematic feel to the film. It's just the way movies are meant to be watched, and in that regard the ps51d450 is very accurate. All I wanted was to be sure I watched my Blu-rays and DVD's in the best conditions possible, the closest to the directors' original intentions. I'm now at peace, my TV is faithful to the theater experience!
post #387 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

Has anyone used the fimware update and noticed an improvement in PQ? Im going to try n update mine tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. If only I could find my flashdrive...

I tried to do it and I cant get it to work. It says the UBS is empty but its not.

Does anyone notice the picture looking fuzzy when you close to the screen?

But anyways I got my set today and its great! No problems like the 3 LED LCDs i had before this.

post #388 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you got your set! Which model did you go with again? And I still cant find my flashdrive, I had 2 or 3 and cant find just one to save my life. I guess I gotta drop ten bucks on one if I want to try it, but sounds like it hasnt been so successful

post #389 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

Im wondering what issues people are having with 24p for Blu Rays? I have seen slight stutter here and there, and I mostly attribute that to the disc loading. Unless my eyes dont pick it up, I dont really get judder or anything funky when playing at 24p. What Blu Ray players are you guys using?

I use 24p with my HD-DVD player and BluRay(PS3) and haven't seen any issues.
post #390 of 1860 Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ thats what I figured. I use a C5500 BD Player from Samsung, and havent had issues. Im curious what settings people are using or what make/model blu ray player they use before we say its the TV having problems

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn43d490 43 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d450 51 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page