Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1860 Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Niiice. Looks like your reds are very rich, just like mine. That 24p content looks really good. I just need a blu ray player and Im set to go.

XBOX Live Gamertag: D Moolah

"Be good, or be good at it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1860 Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Hey I'll post my settings. I'm not a calibrator so these might not be the best but anyway, I'm using this now :

Mode: Movie
Cell Lighting: 13
Contrast: 89
Brightness:35
Sharpness:40
Color:56
Tint:50/50

Black tint: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma:0 or 1.
Colorspace: Native ( I think it's native on english osd, the other one than auto )
RGB Mode:Off
Whitebalance: Open for suggestions
Skin Color: +1
Edge Enhancement: OFF
Motion Lighting: Off

Colortemp: Warm 1 ( or warm 2 if you like a really warm picture. On my b7020 warm 2 was best but that had 3 gradations )
Noise filters: Off
Filmmode: Off

EDITED in a bonus pic :P

Finetuning tint and whitebalance I would like to see someone help us out with (And cell lighting but this also impacts power consumption. Cell lighting is maybe best to put very high, but this will also increase power consumption. Eco solution sets this as a limiter to save power so. )

Feel free to correct me and improve on my settings !
post #33 of 1860 Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Black levels are good! Definitely better than c series. No image retention, I haven't seen it. As a pc monitor it isn't very good though due to the limited res but it's usable there as well. I like this tv especially with the price in mind(!), except the buzz.
post #34 of 1860 Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thats wild. My cell light only goes up to 10 haha. Maybe the euro models are a little different in settings too?

post #35 of 1860 Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wonder how the color will stack up against the D550, 6500, 7000 and 8000 series. As for the color itself, looks pretty great!
Although that guys skin in that photo looks like it's been mildy kissed by the sun, unless he's just got a tan going on.lol I'm guessing these sets have a slight red push going on.

But whatever, I actually like my colors to beautifully saturated, vibrant and rich and those 3 pics so far look pretty ace! A lot of people tend to turn down the color for whataver reasons I don't know.
Also it's hard to tell how the blacks are by those photo's, but they look perfect to me. And I'm guessing this set produces better and more accurate color than any of
the 2011 Panasonic plasma's that aren't THX certfied....Meaning the X3, S30 and ST30.
post #36 of 1860 Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V View Post

Hey I'll post my settings. I'm not a calibrator so these might not be the best but anyway, I'm using this now :

Mode: Movie
Cell Lighting: 13
Contrast: 89
Brightness:35
Sharpness:40
Color:56
Tint:50/50

Black tint: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma:0 or 1.
Colorspace: Native ( I think it's native on english osd, the other one than auto )
RGB Mode:Off
Whitebalance: Open for suggestions
Skin Color: +1
Edge Enhancement: OFF
Motion Lighting: Off

Colortemp: Warm 1 ( or warm 2 if you like a really warm picture. On my b7020 warm 2 was best but that had 3 gradations )
Noise filters: Off
Filmmode: Off

EDITED in a bonus pic :P

Finetuning tint and whitebalance I would like to see someone help us out with (And cell lighting but this also impacts power consumption. Cell lighting is maybe best to put very high, but this will also increase power consumption. Eco solution sets this as a limiter to save power so. )

Feel free to correct me and improve on my settings !

Try jacking up the contrast to 97, the brightness to 50 and sharpness to 50. After all isn't it a bad idea to lower Brightness below 50? Since that would be crushing blacks and shadow detail?
Also could you post up some Bluray caps in 720p via HDMI?
post #37 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So nobody has a tape measure and can measure the distance between the holes on the back of the 43"?
post #38 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Tried the increased contrast, that does look better, upped brightness a bit too to 45, above that it starts to look washed out a bit. Sharpness now at 50. You can correct skin color seperately, I like the way it looks now. The pictures aren't 100% 1:1 to how it looks in real life.

Regarding the space between the holes, isn't that a standard VESA size? I don't have a measuring tape or something like that here.
post #39 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Washed out after 45? Ahhh, well I guess all sets are different. I always thought the mid way point would be the most accurate.
After that, if you start raising it even more than the blacks gradually become light the farther you go up.

And has anybody done a proper lag measurement test? And do the blacks blend in the with the bezel or are they close? And how is the motion.
Somebody mentioned that they traded in their Panasonic VT25 for a Samsung D8000 and right off the bat they noticed the blurr.
I guess Panasonic has the advantage in the Motion, Lag and black levels department, while Samsung wins in the Color and Video Processing.
It's just a shame that Panny's 720p displays always suck donkey balls, and if a Panasonic isn't THX certified than the colors are always going to be a bit innacurate and crappier. sigh*
Meaning, you've got to stick with the more expensive, 1080p higher end Panasonic models, like the G and V series...
post #40 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I really dont have one. Just moved into my apartment, and a tape measurer wasnt on my list of necessities when i went to Target and Wal Mart lol. Sorry bro. I got some more pics of dark knight in 1080p last night, gonna upload em shortly

post #41 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Well in a completely pitch black room, you can see the difference between the bezel and the tv, but I didn't expect any different. Blacks in my opinion are good, there is still some room for improvement>> not yet at bezel blacks. And because we don't have cinemasmooth we don't have the problem of increasing black level by that. So there is a positive side to that

Processing is good, but the picture isn't as smooth as the tv's with cinemasmooth, but they are twice as expensive so I'm not complaining. The 24p mode has a bit more that look like in the cinema but it does have some judder.
Colors look great. Aesthetics are really nice, that's really the best improvement on the 2010 model.

Regarding setting changes: brightness setting, well I settled at 47 now... Washed out is maybe a bit strong, but I feel going over 50 on my set doesn't look good to me. I'm still fiddling with settings a bit. Lowered color to 52 and corrected skin color by -1 to compensate for the color.

Well the tv is very good for the price, but it's not high-end I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Eckohb do you like warm 1 or warm 2 better? I'm not sure lol.
post #42 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well in a completely pitch black room, you can see the difference between the bezel and the tv, but I didn't expect any different. Blacks in my opinion are good, there is still some room for improvement definitely not yet at bezel blacks. And because we don't have cinemasmooth we don't have the problem of increasing black level by that. So there is a positive side to that

Processing is good, but the picture isn't as smooth as the tv's with cinemasmooth, but they are twice as expensive so I'm not complaining. The 24p mode has a bit more that look like in the cinema but it does have some judder.
Colors look great. Aesthetics are really nice, that's really the best improvement on the 2010 model.

Regarding setting changes: brightness setting, well I settled at 47 now... Washed out is maybe a bit strong, but I feel going over 50 on my set doesn't look good to me. I'm still fiddling with settings a bit. Lowered color to 52 and corrected skin color by -3. Every set is different indeed, so if my settings look off to you don't use it

Well the tv is very good for the price, but it's not high-end I think it's important to keep that in mind.

I agree, blacks dont completely disappear into the bezel, but they look good. As far as temperature, I settled with warm 1. warm 2 looked too yellowish to me

post #43 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry IDK how to make the pictures smallers or thumbnails like Alex V did lol. But here's some 1080p from "The Dark Knight". Used my 360 via HDMI and rented this to see how it would look. Also have 300, and when I get home from work, I want to get some pictures of that.

post #44 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Nice picas of the dark knight, that's a cool movie

PS: At imageshack.us they give you a thumbnail link when you are done uploading if you were wondering how to do that.
post #45 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Ok after trying these settings out for some more time, I'm setting normal tv to warm 1. And my HDMI source to warm 2. Warm 2 looks good on movies (it's also preset for movie), but not so great when the news is on or something like that. Just my 0,02$...
post #46 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Picked my PN51D450 on sun.Took out off box,plugged in,turned on,couldnt ask for better pic.No break-in,see what happens.
Standard
Cell 8
Contrast 80
Brite 45
Sharp 60
Color 50

Blacktone Dark
DY con Low
Gamma 0
Flesh 0

WAP 16.

post #47 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
PS-Many thanks for starting this thread.

WAP 16.

post #48 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

This set looks really good in the dark, better than my old LED tv for sure. Finally enjoying the set, now that I'm done with the whole settings thing
post #49 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well in a completely pitch black room, you can see the difference between the bezel and the tv, but I didn't expect any different. Blacks in my opinion are good, there is still some room for improvement>> not yet at bezel blacks. And because we don't have cinemasmooth we don't have the problem of increasing black level by that. So there is a positive side to that

Regarding setting changes: brightness setting, well I settled at 47 now... Washed out is maybe a bit strong, but I feel going over 50 on my set doesn't look good to me. I'm still fiddling with settings a bit. Lowered color to 52 and corrected skin color by -1 to compensate for the color.

Well at $599, and considering it's a Sammy i guess nobody should expect the blacks to blend into the bezel. And what exactly is cinasmooth? Are you taking about clearness or actual motion?
post #50 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

here's some 1080p shots of 300

post #51 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM

I just picked up the 43D490 a few days ago and have been enjoying it. This is my first plasma so I do have a bit of catch up to do in learning proper settings etc. I did figure out that Black Tone caused a lot of problems if you have it turned on, so make you you do leave that off. It does cause a lot of brightness flucuations. Boy, as the single reviewer said on the Best Buy web site, the 3D function is really great. Crosstalk is almost non-existant. I also picked up the new Bluetooth model of glasses when I bought this set. For the money I have been really impressed so far. If you have any questions or additional comments about this set, please post away!
post #52 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

what settings did you find to be the best for your viewing experience? curious to see how alike the d490 is to the d450 in terms of picture quality

post #53 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

also, are you able to take pictures? curious to see how the touch of color looks

post #54 of 1860 Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

PS-Many thanks for starting this thread.

Not a problem, thanks for posting and voicing your opinions!

post #55 of 1860 Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM

Hello,
Can anybody check if D450 plays movie files (avi, mkv)? Samsung US web site says only D490 can play movies, so I asked Samsung Poland and they say D450 has Connect Share Movie function (it's also written on all the European on-line shop sites I've visited). Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
lupik
post #56 of 1860 Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 AM

@ Lupik : I just tested 3 filetypes @d450, avi mkv and mp4. They all work. Also support for music and pictures.
post #57 of 1860 Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:

@ Lupik : I just tested 3 filetypes @d450, avi mkv and mp4. They all work. Also support for music and pictures.

Thank you. I've just found a polish user review and it says it works with movies too so it looks like a mistake on the Samsung web site. I wonder if there's any difference in 2D picture quality between D450 and D490 (this one has 3D HyperReal Engine, maybe there's a difference in motion blur?).

Best regards,
lupik
post #58 of 1860 Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

what settings did you find to be the best for your viewing experience? curious to see how alike the d490 is to the d450 in terms of picture quality

Funny you mentioned this. I went back and checked my 2D settings compared to what you posted. Other than my cell light being one notch higher, everything else was exactly the same. My 3D settings are a bit different, since 3D viewing is quite a bit darker. My settings bit lighter when compared to my 2D settings. I can post those setting and photos later this evening once I get back from work.
post #59 of 1860 Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C. Johnson View Post

Funny you mentioned this. I went back and checked my 2D settings compared to what you posted. Other than my cell light being one notch higher, everything else was exactly the same. My 3D settings are a bit different, since 3D viewing is quite a bit darker. My settings bit lighter when compared to my 2D settings. I can post those setting and photos later this evening once I get back from work.

Ok, sounds good! I figured there wouldnt be too much of a difference, but still good to hear from others. It'd be nice to mess with the white balance on this TV, im hoping another user feels inclined to try those out

post #60 of 1860 Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

Ok, sounds good! I figured there wouldnt be too much of a difference, but still good to hear from others. It'd be nice to mess with the white balance on this TV, im hoping another user feels inclined to try those out

From what I have heard in my limited research is the white balance is for calibrating the grayscale levels and is impossible to do without calibration equipment (colorimeter?). The best you can do is use the AV709 DVD and calibrate your brightness (black level), contrast (white level), color (saturation) and tint (hue). If you can get those calibrated you should be able to get the best possible picture without professional calibration.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn43d490 43 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d450 51 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page