Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just found this forum this morning HELLO ALL. i bought my first plasma tv 2 days ago 43d450, i had an ancient 27" tube TV LOL, and yesterday i added the samsung htd5300 home theater in a box to it (first suround sound too). i love this thing. we watched 2012 last night and WOW... i have been playing with some of the setting in this thread. any advice on getting the most out of this combo. im trying to get the arc to work but not having any luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
Changedsoul: Tha's odd. There should be no problem getting it @ 100% at whatever two points you chose. The trick is to get it good all the way.

Did you do your adjustments a 20 IRE and 80 IRE and did you calibrate black level prior to this, and did you chose a reasonable white level first?
post #633 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 AM

I’ve been reading this thread for a few days and finally picked up a 43d450 from best buy for $389 + tax on Friday. Bought it in hopes of replacing my 2 year old Panasonic TH42PX80U.

Screen size didn’t make much of a difference between the two but the extra 1.4 inches were noticeable.

Picture quality was much better right out of the box. Colors were great and the picture was more detailed (sharper).

Unfortunately the glare on this set was pretty bad in comparison. I tried to get passed it, but it was really bad. Granted I’m in sunny Florida and it’s bright in my living room. But the Panasonic isn’t nearly as bad as this set. For now I guess I stay with the Panasonic, I’ll be returning it tomorrow.

An awesome TV for $400 bucks, just be aware of the glare.
post #634 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hey all. Just picked up a 51" D450 from BB.

I have one freaking stuck pixel..... Debating on if it is worth it to take back for an exchange. Of course I can only see it if I am looking for it and depending on the background (full white etc....). Opinions?

Also Grimmy84, if I am correct you have a EU model? How do you think your settings work on US models? I will try them and check out some grayscale ramps etc.... Also is there a "Blue-Mode" that I am missing?

I will be doing a full calibration also soon (let my brother borrow my meter), and will be purchasing a I1D3 anyways. Will post up once that is done.
post #635 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Grimmy84: It turns out after some readingin other posts, i descovered I was one of the people who pushed the wrong way on the HDMI calibration Service Menu Item, changing it from Successful to Failed. After reading through that, I used the pattern suggested and returned it back to saying success. I was able to achieve better calibration after that however not as good as I would have liked. attached are the graphs if you want to load them into ColorHCFR

My TV settings are as follows for White Balance:
R-Offset = 26
G-Offest = 25
B-Offset = 2

R-Gain = 35
G-Gain = 27
B-Gain = 44

To me these just seem so far off their defaults, soemthing must be wrong
I noticed a setting in Service Menu called Movie R/B Offset and Movie R/B Gain. My Movie B Gain is really low. I belive by me not knowing what I was doing changed that thinking it was the one I wanted. well now that its changed, I am no longer able to change it. Its been locked in. I think I will give samsung a call. Maybe I will be fortunate and they will help. Either way, weather I messed it up or not, it looks better than it did when I first got it.

Im now noticing my i1 Display 2 is saying I dont have enough red because I am seeing a slight red in my tv. Can I go back through the calibration procedure, but instead of trying to put red at 100%, can I drop it down a bit? I know its not calibrating, but maybe it might look better to my eye.

GreyScale_bedroom_Before-After.chc.zip 5.8466796875k . file
post #636 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Liked: 13
Grimmy , ChangedSoul thanks for the settings !

NutDotNet ....thxs ...waiting for that calibration , i have the EU 43"

what do mean with "light" buzz ? mine's buzz is not dramatic

but i can hear it at low volumes (2-3) at a distance of 1.90 meters

Please i need to know if it is a fault or am i a little bit obsessed ?
As i have read "Buzzy Samsungs" are called
post #637 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM

All mounted up! Ready for some multi tasking! There is a flashing light inside the TV dead center. I assume its normal. Anyone else have that. It appears to be green but I'm color blind.
post #638 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonloc79 View Post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/tonloc79/TV2.jpg
All mounted up! Ready for some multi tasking! There is a flashing light inside the TV dead center. I assume its normal. Anyone else have that. It appears to be green but I'm color blind.

Yeah i can see that only when the image is an off white in the middle of the screen, its very small.

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #639 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Does anyone with the D450 see color bleeding in fast moving object. easy way to test is on the Xbox 360 dashboard with the tiled images. Also was wondering if you can see any thing wrong when there's juddering. Im getting some extensive juddering resulting in a rippling like effect. I hope its fixed with a replacement i have on the way.

post #640 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra View Post

Yeah i can see that only when the image is an off white in the middle of the screen, its very small.

I meant I can see it from the back, it is on one of the PCB's and when the TV is on. You're saying yours is seen from the front, through the screen?
post #641 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonloc79 View Post

I meant I can see it from the back, it is on one of the PCB's and when the TV is on. You're saying yours is seen from the front, through the screen?

no thats something else. i would make sure your screen is evenly lit if you see a light from the back.

post #642 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Does anyone with the D450 see color bleeding in fast moving object. easy way to test is on the Xbox 360 dashboard with the tiled images. Also was wondering if you can see any thing wrong when there's juddering. Im getting some extensive juddering resulting in a rippling like effect. I hope its fixed with a replacement i have on the way.

Im not sure what your talking about with bleeding, but I notice something while on the 360's dashboard. When I scroll left or right on the dashboard, the ( folders or tabs, or what ever you select) usually the ones with mostly white like the Sign in profile one. Anyways, when I scoll them left or right, I get allot of noise. The white turns very statically looking then when it stops it looks good. Im guessing its the way the tv is processing the moving image. Not sure.
post #643 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangedSoul View Post

Im not sure what your talking about with bleeding, but I notice something while on the 360's dashboard. When I scroll left or right on the dashboard, the ( folders or tabs, or what ever you select) usually the ones with mostly white like the Sign in profile one. Anyways, when I scoll them left or right, I get allot of noise. The white turns very statically looking then when it stops it looks good. Im guessing its the way the tv is processing the moving image. Not sure.

I get that, thats normal. Im talking about when your on the Inside Xbox or Spotlight tiles with pic with people in them and then move them back and forth fast i get color bleeding and can tell it if you track the face with your eyes.

post #644 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Liked: 11
Changedsoul:

I have looked at your charts and they do not seem quite right. The before picture is way off, especially the gamma. But is also very odd that both blue and red is too low across the entire range. There should be no out-of-box setting looking like that at all. Rather, the presets will all have to much of red and blue to some extent. A mode that is overely green will not sell to anyone.

Perhaps there is something funny with the source. What source are you using? A htpc perhaps? I can see from the gamut that you are either calibrating in PC-mode OR that you color space set to native. Don't forget to change your reference from NTSC to HDTV if your source is in HD!

Have you used window patterns? If you used fields (full screen) it may explain the weird results.

I do not think you have set your brightness level correctly. You should set it so that a 2% window can barely be seen. Stand real close and turn down brightness until 2% turns black and turn it up just so that the pixels will light up.

Also, you will need to take the black level measure from a pattern that contains something more than a black screen, because the set turns itself of giving an infinite black level which will result in some odd readings in HCFR.
post #645 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Grimmy do see any color bleeding on your D450 on the xbox dashboard when switching the tiles fast in Inside Xbox or Spotlight categories of the xbox dashboard?

post #646 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Grimmy and ChangedSoul which patterns are you using for your calibration? Fullscreen? Window? etc.... And which disc. Just wanted to make sure you are using the Window only patterns, with a similar size to those found on the AVS 709 disc.
post #647 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM

This TV is really good even compared to 1080p models, and for $400. I got away with theft. Anyone have any good settings towards gaming? that's all I am going to do on this TV anyway.
post #648 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

ChangedSoul: I looked at your graph too. I am not really seeing anything in the before that I haven't seen a TV (even more so a Plasma) do before. i.e. high green. Most Panasonic plasma's have a high green w/b from the factory.

With that being said, if one of your blue w/b settings is now locked, then that does mean something is not right.

Do also want to ask, how old is your meter? It is very possible it has drifted. Which I am leaning towards, as your after graph looks pretty decent. After your calibration, did you look at any grayscale ramps? If so how did they look?

Curious, why did you feel the need to get into the service menu in the first place? What does it offer that the user menu's do not for calibration? It has been quite some time since I have done a Samsung (I generally go Panasonic).

edit* Read your post again. Now I am REALLY leaning towards your meter drifting. Red is almost always the first color to drift when a i1D2 does bad.
post #649 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy84 View Post

These are the settings for 1080p24 (should be the same for 720p) based on standard with game mode turned on:

Cell at max
Contrast at 85
Brightness 42
Color 46
tint 50/50 (untouched)
colorspace AUTO (important!) and all fancy options turned off
Warm 2
Gamma 0 for around 2.2-2.3 gamma. You might want to use -1 for dark room and possibly +1 for a really bright room.

in white balance r-offest increased to 26
b-offest reduced to 17
r-gain reduced to 6
b-offest increased to 26
green-offest and g-gain left alone

As in the other mode, what is important is to reduced red until the purle tone is removed. Changing the blues are not as important as they are trade offs anyway because the blue gamme tracking is far from flat. It will be quite good anyway you deal with it.

Hi. I just recently changed the picture settings on my PN43D490 and was able to successfully do it but the thing is whenever I turn off my TV and turn it back on they are reset back to the default settings. So how am I able to save them?

I also have a few other questions regarding this TV as well.
For some reason all my SD channels on my "Chanel list" provide no information in the guide, is this normal? And whenever I watch SD channels on my TV I see some lines of flickering spots in some of the channels, especially in bright scenes. By any chance do I have a defective unit?

Thanks in advance for your responses and input,
Tony
post #650 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Nutdotnet:
Yeah I was a bone head and went into the service menu. I think it is the meter drifting. I got it from amazon for $125. Its probably old stock being sold off since x-rite says its now discontinued. Also, my tv doesnt look that bad even with the meter being off. I did however run the xrite software on my laptop and I can really really see the red is off on my laptop. It auto adjusted my laptop screen and wow is it way red.
I am going to contact x-rite tomorrow and see what can be done. weather or not it came directly from them, its still a new item and its their product, they should stand by their products. If it was a used item I could see the drift problem, but this is suposed to be new.
post #651 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM

Grimmy84: My source was my xbox 360 set at 720P resolution. The images were from a CD which I cant remember where i downloaded it from, but ti contains what seems to be test patteres from various other test patter disks. Like all patterns from various discs all in one place. I was using the one that had grey scale boxes 0%-100% ( 10% increments) around the outside border, and the one being tested was located in the middle. A file located in the extracted contents called credits contains this inside: AVS HD 709 - Version 2c.

Looks like I may hot gotten the disk from here.
post #652 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy84 View Post

Long_pn: I have thought a little more about your problem. You say say you see flickering in movement on this set. Can you describe the type of flickering? The classic plasma flickering problem is that you will see flashes of yellow or green in fast movement. I have done some quite extensive movment testing with this TV and when it comes to this problem this is by far the best plasma I have seen, with very little of these flashes compared to other plasmas.

However, Samsung accomplish this reduction by using dithering in moving objects. That is, alternating (sub)-pixels on/off, which shows up as a random noise in movement. Is this your problem? Because this is, as far as I know, a unique feature on Samsung plasmas, which I personally like very much but you might not

Grimmy, I've not seen flashed of colors in movement. I think the issue is rather juddering then flickering if both are different. However, I've only tested with cable TV and USB movie, so other may see more effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra View Post

TRD Supra, How is juddering on your replaced set, is it improved?
post #653 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_pn View Post

Grimmy, I've not seen flashed of colors in movement. I think the issue is rather juddering then flickering if both are different. However, I've only tested with cable TV and USB movie, so other may see more effects.

TRD Supra, How is juddering on your replaced set, is it improved?

Dont have it yet. I hope it fixes it if not it sounds like the D450 isn't prone to these problems do to not having 3D.

post #654 of 1860 Old 07-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangedSoul View Post

Grimmy84: My source was my xbox 360 set at 720P resolution. The images were from a CD which I cant remember where i downloaded it from, but ti contains what seems to be test patteres from various other test patter disks. Like all patterns from various discs all in one place. I was using the one that had grey scale boxes 0%-100% ( 10% increments) around the outside border, and the one being tested was located in the middle. A file located in the extracted contents called credits contains this inside: AVS HD 709 - Version 2c.

Looks like I may hot gotten the disk from here.

Well if you are still within Amazon's return frame, just return it for a new one. If not X-Rite will swap you out no problem. They always swap the first really without question, after that though it can be a pain.

You are using the wrong patterns, which would explain the gamma readings. If you do have the AVS files, look for "windows" (i.e. one window in the center of the screen). And use that.
post #655 of 1860 Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Well if you are still within Amazon's return frame, just return it for a new one. If not X-Rite will swap you out no problem. They always swap the first really without question, after that though it can be a pain.

I am in the time frame to return to amazon, however I am reluctant to do that because I am afraid I might just get another condition new item thats 3 years old, lol. I sent an email to x-rite about it. Hopefully they will help me out.

So when doing the calibration, I should be using the Window pattern that has the centered windows and nothing else at all on screen?

Funny thing, when I ran the x-rite software that came with the device on my laptop, it configured it self and ran through its own tests. When it was all done, it created its own profile and adjusted the screen according to how the device thought the screen was out putting colors. The adjusted screen was clearly to red. The funny thing is that my laptop screen has a clearly red image with the same meter as I used on my TV and the TV doesnt look at all that bad. Things that make you go...hmmm.
post #656 of 1860 Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 PM

For anyone with this TV, anyone try using it for a HTPC setup? One of the things I'm looking for in a new plasma is PC use. Also how would you guys compare this to the LG 42PT350?
post #657 of 1860 Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM

i have the pn43d450 and it's very nice looking, but i'm having trouble with the calibration. i've got some test patterns as mp4 files.

when i run them via usb plugged into my ps3, no matter what brightness or contrast level i select (both extremes), i can't see all the bars, so useless for calibration.

when i run them via usb plugged into the tv, i get the exact opposite. no matter what brightness or contrast level i select, i can always see ALL the bars. ie, on black clipping with brightness down to 0 and cell light very low, i can still see all 20 bars of grey.

how do i calibrate? all the gimmicky settings are turned off, but it's like there is a permanent dynamic contrast switched to on!!
post #658 of 1860 Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Liked: 13
Finally "Dirty screen effect" and "audible Buzzin" seem to be
"No faulty issues" ...the tv is like that and works wonderful with HD
post #659 of 1860 Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM

So ive ordered a Samsung PN43D450 and i was mainly gonna watch 720p mkvs from my pc. im reading that my dvi to hdmi cord wont let me send 1024x768 to the tv because thats not in hdmi specs or whatever. they say you gotta use a vga cord but from what ive seen this tv has no vga input.

so am i stuck just doing dvi to hdmi and outputting like 1280x720 and having a blurry picture?

how are you PN43D450 owners with (1024x768) res hooking your pc's upto this tv with the sharpest txt and video? im using a radeon4870.

from threads ive read i found that outputting 1024x768 via vga and then using vlc player with the monitor pixel aspect ratio option gives the best results but no vga input on the tv and the info im reading is all old stuff from 2006-2009.

will a dvi to component cable let me send 1024x768 to the tv? is that even the best way to do it? i just wanna watch movies and shows with the best quality possible.
post #660 of 1860 Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM

From what I've read in this thread, use the 1366x768 resolution when using your PC (using DVI to HDMI).

I will be ordering one tonight as well and I plan on using my PC with it. I have a Radeon HD4850 so we should have a similar experience with this. I'll update when I receive the TV next Wednesday.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn43d490 43 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d450 51 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page