AVS Forum banner
528K views 2K replies 358 participants last post by  lovswr 
#1 ·
#52 ·
what settings did you find to be the best for your viewing experience? curious to see how alike the d490 is to the d450 in terms of picture quality

#53 ·
also, are you able to take pictures? curious to see how the touch of color looks

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 /forum/post/20195969

PS-Many thanks for starting this thread.

Not a problem, thanks for posting and voicing your opinions!

#55 ·
Hello,

Can anybody check if D450 plays movie files (avi, mkv)? Samsung US web site says only D490 can play movies, so I asked Samsung Poland and they say D450 has Connect Share Movie function (it's also written on all the European on-line shop sites I've visited). Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

lupik

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V /forum/post/20199205

@ Lupik : I just tested 3 filetypes @d450, avi mkv and mp4. They all work. Also support for music and pictures.

Thank you. I've just found a polish user review and it says it works with movies too so it looks like a mistake on the Samsung web site. I wonder if there's any difference in 2D picture quality between D450 and D490 (this one has 3D HyperReal Engine, maybe there's a difference in motion blur?).

Best regards,

lupik

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb /forum/post/20198625

what settings did you find to be the best for your viewing experience? curious to see how alike the d490 is to the d450 in terms of picture quality

Funny you mentioned this. I went back and checked my 2D settings compared to what you posted. Other than my cell light being one notch higher, everything else was exactly the same. My 3D settings are a bit different, since 3D viewing is quite a bit darker. My settings bit lighter when compared to my 2D settings. I can post those setting and photos later this evening once I get back from work.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C. Johnson /forum/post/20199521

Funny you mentioned this. I went back and checked my 2D settings compared to what you posted. Other than my cell light being one notch higher, everything else was exactly the same. My 3D settings are a bit different, since 3D viewing is quite a bit darker. My settings bit lighter when compared to my 2D settings. I can post those setting and photos later this evening once I get back from work.

Ok, sounds good! I figured there wouldnt be too much of a difference, but still good to hear from others. It'd be nice to mess with the white balance on this TV, im hoping another user feels inclined to try those out

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb /forum/post/20200097

Ok, sounds good! I figured there wouldnt be too much of a difference, but still good to hear from others. It'd be nice to mess with the white balance on this TV, im hoping another user feels inclined to try those out

From what I have heard in my limited research is the white balance is for calibrating the grayscale levels and is impossible to do without calibration equipment (colorimeter?). The best you can do is use the AV709 DVD and calibrate your brightness (black level), contrast (white level), color (saturation) and tint (hue). If you can get those calibrated you should be able to get the best possible picture without professional calibration.

#62 ·
Final settings for me:

Mode:Movie

Cell:15

Contrast:95

Brightness:45

Sharpness:50

Color:55

Tint:50/50

Black tint:Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma:0

RGB:Off

Colorspace:Native

Whitebalance: 25 on all

Skincolor:-1

Edge Enhancement:Off

Motion Lighting:Off

Colortint: Warm 2

Filters off & Moviemode Off

Soundsettings: Movie

Probably not checking in to this thread this frequently anymore, but hope my input helped a bit
Thanks eckohb and other ppl who contributed. And good luck to the new owners!

#63 ·
Anyone have settings for a USA model with a HDMI connection in non gaming mode? I know these sets are new, but I just can't get the colors or lighting right.

CURRENT

Mode: movie

Cell: 10

Contrast: 95

Brightness: 45

Sharpness: 50

Color: 55

Tint: 50/50

ADVANCED

Black Tone: off

Dynamic Contrast: off

Gamma: +1

Color Space: Native

White Balance: Untouched(think this is the area that needs work)

Flesh Tone: -1

Edge Enhancement: Off

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone: Warm2

Size: 16:9

Digital Noise Filter: Off

HDMI Black Level: Normal

#64 ·
try bumping up the brightness to 50, and using warm1. warm2 is good for movies, but i prefer warm1 for sports and everyday tv. what model do you have?

#65 ·
I just bought the Samsung BD-C5500 Blu Ray player, and its awesome! Love this TV even more now. I had to put my cable box on component cables so I could use HDMI ports 1 and 2 for the Blu Ray and Xbox 360. Even component HD looks good!

#66 ·
It's the 450

Anyway found some settings for a HDMI hook up on Comcast. Give it a go.

Mode: Movie

Cell: 10

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 48-52 (your preference)

Sharpness: 5 for HD, 20 for non

Color: 38

Tint: G42/R58

ADVANCED

Everything off

Gamma: +1

Color Space: Auto

Flesh: 0

WHITE BALANCE

Offset

R:21

G:25

B:15

Gain

R:25

G:0

B:27

PICTURE OPTIONS

Warm2

16:9

Noise: off

HDMI black lvl: Normal

These settings seem to work well for me as far as non gaming. Ah forgot to add that gamma 0 or 1 is also preference based.

Cheers : )

#67 ·
How is the reflectivity of D450:

compared to D550?

compared to C450/C430 (from '10)?

...or, if you haven't compared them, then just 'in general', how is the reflectivity?

I really just want a ~43" plasma as a secondary TV, for a decent price, so I'd like the D450. However, it's quite sunny in our home much of the year, the room has several windows on one side, and I am only willing to draw the shades partially.

How do side windows vary for reflectivity as compared to windows facing the TV?

(I ask because we might use the TV in another room.)

#68 ·
I looked at both today. (450 PQ looked ever-so-slightly better than the 490? No, I have no explanation)

I really wanted this to be my perfect TV, but I do think they're both a little too reflective for me.

Brings up a point I spoke to the BB dude about.

#1.) LCD/LED-LCD seem to have a glossy "finish" on their screens which doesn't necessarily create a mirror affect and thus allows you to focus on the picture better.

#2.) PLASMA seem to exhibit reflection "on top" of the actual picture and thus distract from viewing the picture itself.

That make any sense?? (i.e. glass top vs naked shiny screen)

#69 ·
Thanks, I kind of understand; but, without thinking about it, I might need more of an explanation.

I have an idea of what the C450 from '10, and the D550 from this year look like, so I'm trying to compare them to D450. However, store lighting is much different from sunlight.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi /forum/post/20209417

Brings up a point I spoke to the BB dude about.

#1.) LCD/LED-LCD seem to have a glossy "finish" on their screens which doesn't necessarily create a mirror affect and thus allows you to focus on the picture better.

#2.) PLASMA seem to exhibit reflection "on top" of the actual picture and thus distract from viewing the picture itself.

That make any sense?? (i.e. glass top vs naked shiny screen)

no sense at all because the reflections would be the same for both. but the brightness of the LCD will make the reflections appear to be less. To test look at them side by side when the TV's are off. You would need to use a Samsung LED for this test because the Samsung has the true Glossy finish sreen that is highly reflective.

#71 ·
And while *I* would agree with you on using a Sammy LCD for comparison, Sammy seems to have their own opinion.....

Ultra Clear Panel Sometimes you can’t keep sunlight or house lights from shining right on your TV screen. With Samsung’s Ultra Clear Panel, you can still get an amazing picture even with reflective light. Ultra Clear Panel absorbs most ambient light and virtually eliminates reflections so there are hardly any distractions. Ultra Clear Panel also helps make colors more vibrant with deeper blacks and enhanced contrast for crisper images and excellent shadow detail.

Now anybody that's seen any of the 2011 Sammy LCD's knows.....they're friggin' shiny!! How in the heck do they come to this "elminates reflections" conclusion? LOL!!!

Another point to your previous comment is that I'd have to say that the reflectivity will actually be slightly different in that the plasma glass is as smooth as......well, glass. While the LCD's screens are a bit "rippled" to put it best. Don't know if the makers think that can diffuse some reflectivity but it is a little different nonethless.

#73 ·
Id reset it so its at 720p. I believe 720p is better than 1080i.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 /forum/post/20210284

Never had a 720 set (D450) before,always 1080.Should I reset my cable box output to 720p or leave it at 1080i.Will run BR today to compare to 1080.

Despite being marketed as '720p', neither the 51" nor 43" versions of the D450/D490 match the broadcast standard of 1280x720p.

The best setting, if one's DVR has it, and it works properly, is 'native passthrough'; that let's the DVR send any given channel's native broadcast signal to your TV, and lets the TV scale it to it's resolution.

Sometimes, there can only be one DVR resolution setting (or that's all that works properly), and then you must decide on one, of course.

The 51" versions are 1360x768p; that is more resolution than 1280x720p. A 1280x720p setting (on the cable box) would cause 1920x1080i to be downscaled to less than the TV's native res., and then upscale it; that's not good. So, if you can only choose one setting, it should be 1920x1080i, IMO. (I've had a 50" 1366x768p TV for 8.25 years.)

The 43" versions are 1024x768p; that is less resolution than 1280x720p; (less horizontal resolution, but more vertical resolution). For the latter reason, a 1280x720p setting would still downscale the vertical res. to less than the TV's native vertical res., and then upscale it; again, not good. So, I would choose the 1920x1080i setting for this TV, also.

Rule of thumb, (that I and some others have noticed), is that it's worse to downscale the signal to less than TV's native res. (vert. and/or horiz.), and then upscale it to the TV's native res., because the removed resolution can't be recaptured in upscaling. It is better to upscale the signal, and then downscale to the TV's native res.

I tried to make that as easy as possible, but it does get a little technical. Basically, my eyes have agreed with the science of it.
YMMV

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/20211375

Despite being marketed as '720p', neither the 51" nor 43" versions of the D450/D490 match the broadcast standard of 1280x720p.

The 51" versions are 1360x768p; that is more resolution than 1280x720p. A 1280x720p setting (on the cable box) would cause 1920x1080i to be downscaled too much, and then upscaled. If you can only choose one setting, it should be 1920x1080i, IMO. (I have had a 50" 1366x768p TV for 8.25 years.)

The 43" versions are 1024x768p; that is less resolution than 1280x720p; less horizontal resolution, but more vertical resolution. For the latter reason, a 1280x720p setting would still downscale the vertical res. too much, and then upscale. I would go 1920x1080i on this one also.

Rule of thumb, that I and some others have noticed, is that it's worse to downscale to less than TV's native res.*, and then upscale, than it is to upscale, and then downscale to the TV's native res.

(*throwing away resolution that can't be recaptured)

I tried to make that as easy as possible, but it does get a little technical. Basically, my eyes have agreed with the science of it.
YMMV

So cable output should be 720p or 1080i?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.