Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1860 Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the 51D90 yesterday..so far so good..tried a lot of 3d clips and games on my ps3..one happy viewer here..by the way first time plasma user. I came from a 32 pana LCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1860 Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

I can get a low price on the 51'' 430d but am scared to death of the large size. I can only sit 8' 6'' back. Does anyone sit thid close to this model? Thanks for any info.

I'm planning on buying the 43" version of this TV soon, but I can tell you that my main set is a 60" Sony SXRD that I sit 8'3" from, so 8 feet for a 51" television will be just fine.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #1353 of 1860 Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Coo View Post

Hi I just hooked up my new PN51D440 last night and had a question. I wasn't going to run the dvd break in like my last plasma but wanted to at lease use it to check for dead/stuck pixels. Turns out all the pixels are fine! What I did notice is that on the brighter white/grayish slides is that I'm seeing more of a horizontal "stripes" instead of a perfectly even white/grayish screen. They are maybe 1" wide all the way across the screen horizontally. The darker colors seem to be more even. I also noticed this white playing Black Ops when looking up towards the sky.

Would adjusting my settings help this? I doubt that it's noticeable watching "regular" tv. Right now I'm using Nutdotnets settings and only have about 6 hours on the tv so far.

Is it called "banding"?

Any thoughts on this? And if it is would I be better off not using the break in dvd but rather just watch regular moving television/movies without logos?
I'm just thinking maybe it's bad to break in the plasma with images that show banding?

And should I have installed both ferrite cores on the power cord for the 51" model? I only installed one closest to the tv side.
The manual makes it sound like 2 only for the 43" model if that makes sense.

HD DVD - 10
BLU-RAY - 3
post #1354 of 1860 Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts on this? And if it is would I be better off not using the break in dvd but rather just watch regular moving television/movies without logos?
I'm just thinking maybe it's bad to break in the plasma with images that show banding?

And should I have installed both ferrite cores on the power cord for the 51" model? I only installed one closest to the tv side.
The manual makes it sound like 2 only for the 43" model if that makes sense.

I've been having the same "banding" problem with grey bands across the screen, visible on lighter backgrounds, and I also have a big yellow blotch running vertically up the center of the screen. I'm sending it back for an exchange. Can any other owners tell us if these bands are normal? Thanks.

Update: I find that maxing out the cell light helps with those bands but not much. No other adjustments seem to help.
post #1355 of 1860 Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM

how many hdmi are there for 43d450? from web it said 3 but mine only got 2
post #1356 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 AM

hi guys, newb here with a first time purchase of a plasma

I have had this TV since last sunday = 9 days and today I noticed a burn in (or image retention), cannot determine what is it. I was playing my PS3 and I left it on the XMB screen and I noticed that the XMB folder on the left corner of my screen was burned in.

Is there any possible way of removing this? Is there a setting I can leave while i'm playing games?

Also, how do i check how many hours I have spent watching the TV.

And final question, can someone post the break-in settings as I have been reading about them but can't find one specifically for this model.

EDIT: bought the PN51d450 model.
post #1357 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM

hello all,

I hav a question about playing music on my PN43D430. I saved some songs from my iTunes library to a USB flash drive. when I put the flash drive in the TV and select media, the music folder is empty. My pictures are there, but not my music. I'm sure the files are saved to the usb b/c I checked it in my laptop before inserting in the tv. Is there a something I need to do in order to see the music that was saved?

Thanks for any help in this matter
post #1358 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrncephil80 View Post

hello all,

I hav a question about playing music on my PN43D430. I saved some songs from my iTunes library to a USB flash drive. when I put the flash drive in the TV and select media, the music folder is empty. My pictures are there, but not my music. I'm sure the files are saved to the usb b/c I checked it in my laptop before inserting in the tv. Is there a something I need to do in order to see the music that was saved?

Your USB flash drive is probably formatted to NTFS. The tv will only read from FAT/FAT32 I found that out myself last night.

HD DVD - 10
BLU-RAY - 3
post #1359 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Anyone else experiencing interference with infrared remotes an the pn43d450?

I have a 1st gen Roku. On the main screen, which is primarily white, remote response is horrible, requiring multiple presses to have anything register. Going into a "channel', where there's less white on the screen, the remote response is just fine. I can also drop the cell light setting down to 6 and everything works fine. I've tried the masking tape trick, which helps some - but not completely.

Is this normal with this set, or do I have some funky going on with mine?
post #1360 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrncephil80 View Post

hello all,

You also have to make sure the files are mp3 and not the iTunes standard aac files. The PN43D430 doesn't support aac.
post #1361 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 AM

I am a first time plasma user. Noob question, do i really need to break in my plasma (51D490) for hundred hours or so? And aside from the color slides, can i just use the screen burn protection for the breaking in process? Thanks!
post #1362 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Your USB flash drive is probably formatted to NTFS. The tv will only read from FAT/FAT32 I found that out myself last night.

Ok I will look into that, but if I was able to view my photos, does that still mean it is not formated to FAT/FAT32?
post #1363 of 1860 Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gushin View Post

You also have to make sure the files are mp3 and not the iTunes standard aac files. The PN43D430 doesn't support aac.

thanks. that could be it I will confirm when I get home.

Thanks guys
post #1364 of 1860 Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM

if i update the firmware on my p51d450 tv will it put my tv back into hdmi calibration back to success??? the picture seems ok to my eyes but i hate that its still saying failure under hdmi
post #1365 of 1860 Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 AM

Is the Dynamic Contrast setting essentially the same as running the tv in Dynamic Mode? I tried out a few of the settings while using Movie Mode and noticed it seemed to clear some of the washed out/foggy look that I'm displeased with. Will using this setting be more prone to burn in?
post #1366 of 1860 Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Has anybody tested the brand new firmware T-MST4DEUC-1026.0 ?
post #1367 of 1860 Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM

I would if someone has calibration settings for PS43D450 (Euro version).
Thank you!
post #1368 of 1860 Old 12-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaldestination View Post

hi guys, newb here with a first time purchase of a plasma

I have had this TV since last sunday = 9 days and today I noticed a burn in (or image retention), cannot determine what is it. I was playing my PS3 and I left it on the XMB screen and I noticed that the XMB folder on the left corner of my screen was burned in.

Is there any possible way of removing this? Is there a setting I can leave while i'm playing games?

Also, how do i check how many hours I have spent watching the TV.

And final question, can someone post the break-in settings as I have been reading about them but can't find one specifically for this model.

EDIT: bought the PN51d450 model.

please
post #1369 of 1860 Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-tom View Post

Has anybody tested the brand new firmware T-MST4DEUC-1026.0 ?

Wow, Euro models have ANOTHER firmware update?! North America has yet to even have one on the PN51D450...
post #1370 of 1860 Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaldestination View Post

please

I have the PN43D490, but you may also have this feature on the 450, have you tried the Scrolling feature in the Screen Burn Protection sub-menu? Plus, you can check your hours by going into the service menu. On mine, you have to cut the tv off and quickly press mute, 1,8,2 then power.
post #1371 of 1860 Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 PM

anyone have screen shots of the factory data for the pn51d450 ??
post #1372 of 1860 Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Well... this is fun.

I ordered the pn51d490 at Best Buy black friday weekend, and it was backordered yesterday.

Brought it home, installed it last night (late), tested it, and thought... looks great! Can't wait to tweak when I have more time.

Today, my 3 year old son was playing with some toy that had a plastic piece fly off... and hit the middle of the screen. And cracked it.

I've read enough here to know it's not common to have it crack so easily, so it must have hit just perfect. Of course, physical damage is not covered under warranty (and I have too much integrity to lie and say it was broken when I received it).

So, I'm getting a second one (on sale again this week at Best Buy for $599... now with two pairs of 3D glasses - Black Friday weekend it was 4).

So, just thought I'd share on the thread my agony. I've waited almost a month for the TV... very sad to have it break before I even get a chance to watch it.

Anyone have any times to help prevent easy screen crackage? Besides locking children in a rubber room...

Also - does anyone know anywhere that someone would buy a brand new TV with a cracked screen? It's just a spider crack in the middle...
post #1373 of 1860 Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM

if you just brought it home i would bring it back and say when you opened the box it was cracked..don't buy a new one ..im sure the store will take it back ..if you had it a few months that be different but you just got it
post #1374 of 1860 Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM

As much as I would love to do that... I just can't lie and say it was cracked when I got it. I personally consider that wrong... but I do understand if others would
post #1375 of 1860 Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 PM

im thinking if you have a receipt that you just bought it and it has a crack and just say it has a crack i don;t think they would even ask a question and take it back..your not cheating anyone...im sure it goes back gets a new screen and is sold as a referb
post #1376 of 1860 Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 AM

^^^^^^
I think it's more of a moral issue for him than anything else. Ofcourse they would take it back considering the fact he just got it. He just feels that it is wrong. I commend you for taking the high road sir.

Regarding your issue i read here a few years ago about a member who had the same issue as you. His toddler was playing with a toy and threw and it cracked the screen. He mentioned buying some kind of protector that clips on to the front. I don't know how it looks, or if it would take away from the beauty of the tv. But if you feel that is a potential problem then it might be worth the investment
post #1377 of 1860 Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Yeah, I actually spent some time this morning researching screen protection... sounds like they just lower the brightness slightly (which you can compensate by increasing the brightness slightly on the TV).

I have an email out to a company to see which one would fit the tv perfectly - they don't seem to make one for the 51" (but they do for 50" and 52") so I need to find out which one will work best (if at all).

Wish I had bought one earlier... I've never even heard of them before, but there are a few companies that make and sell them
post #1378 of 1860 Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM

The PN43D450 is going for $379-399 at various retailers here in Canada for Boxing Day. After going over the information in this thread, seems the perfect inexpensive TV to replace an aging 25" CRT.
post #1379 of 1860 Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterOz View Post

Well... this is fun.

I ordered the pn51d490 at Best Buy black friday weekend, and it was backordered yesterday.

Brought it home, installed it last night (late), tested it, and thought... looks great! Can't wait to tweak when I have more time.

Today, my 3 year old son was playing with some toy that had a plastic piece fly off... and hit the middle of the screen. And cracked it.

I've read enough here to know it's not common to have it crack so easily, so it must have hit just perfect. Of course, physical damage is not covered under warranty (and I have too much integrity to lie and say it was broken when I received it).

So, I'm getting a second one (on sale again this week at Best Buy for $599... now with two pairs of 3D glasses - Black Friday weekend it was 4).

So, just thought I'd share on the thread my agony. I've waited almost a month for the TV... very sad to have it break before I even get a chance to watch it.

Anyone have any times to help prevent easy screen crackage? Besides locking children in a rubber room...

Also - does anyone know anywhere that someone would buy a brand new TV with a cracked screen? It's just a spider crack in the middle...

Several credit cards have "damage protection". I believe it's limited to 30 days from date of purchase. If you used a credit card to purchase the television it is worth a call to see if you are covered.
MQ
post #1380 of 1860 Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
U-2

Samsung website lists ARC as a feature for the PN51D490. I have BD-D6500 that also has this feature. I assumed that I could connect a headphones to the player's RCA jacks and listen for TV's audio (TV does not have an analog audio output). I could not make it work. How is audio return channel supposed to work?

Edit: I believe, I saw this feature listed on US website, it is still listed here: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail ,but looking more carefully at the picture I can see now that web page is messed up.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn43d490 43 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d450 51 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page