Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1860 Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. Just bought a 43D450A2 today from Bestbuy. I've got my computer connected to it now. Resolution settings seem to be dependent on computer/video card because I can only set it on 1024x768 w/o the edges being cropped.

This is my first plasma. Is there a break in/calibration video available online? So I can just run it on my computer while it's connected?
Also, I see some people have needed or wanted into the service menu. Are there more settings adjustments that can be made in that menu?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1860 Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 AM

Hey everyone, new to this site. Bought my first ever Plasma on Boxing Day to replace a 24" Philips HD Monitor I was using for gaming on my PS3. Read through a lot of this thread, plenty of great info, but it seems many of you are using it for movies and tv, not many gamers in this thread.

At the moment, I have my PS3 connected through HDMI, PS2 connected through Component Cable, and sometimes I connect a Samsung laptop through HDMI. Just wondering what settings are ideal for 90% gaming, 10% movie (BluRay or DVD) through PS3/Laptop.

Also, I've tried upgrading the firmware, but it seems it came from the factory with 1007 while the website only has 1006. Tried playing a MP4 file off the USB but it did not detect it.
post #1443 of 1860 Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Does anyone know why my 16in by 9in jpeg displays letterboxed in the media play (from usb)?

Or how to change the pic size in media play?

TIA
post #1444 of 1860 Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM

I am not sure if I am missing something, tried to access service menu (change it to D7000) and couldn`t do it, someone posted process earlier ... MUTE, 1,8,2, POWER ......... but it didn`t work for me?
I have 51D450 North American model.
post #1445 of 1860 Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Does anyone know the default AV ADC Results in the SM?
post #1446 of 1860 Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyon View Post

I set to 1360x768 via HDMI and everything looks great. Can't you select this res on yours?

Yea, but I figured why not just set it to the native res.
post #1447 of 1860 Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Sooo.. has anyone tried something crazy like cross-flashing the EU firmware on an NA box to see if the Video app is there?

I'm pretty disappointed that there is no video app on the NA version of this tv..
post #1448 of 1860 Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 AM

I picked this t.v. (450) up on Monday. I'm running the break in DVD right now but I initially set it up with some of the settings recommended in this thread and I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised by the PQ. I have a KURO in the living room and I didn't find the huge difference in PQ that I expected. Considering that this is a bedroom t.v. that I'll be sitting 10+ feet back from and that I spent less money on it than I spend in two weeks on food and drinks going out I have 0 regrets. Even if some new great technology becomes readily available at a decent price I won't feel like I wasted my money if I replace this t.v. in a year; it's that good of a value!
post #1449 of 1860 Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

So who has enter the 450 service menu?, everything is damn fine with this TV PQ
but damn if the WHITES were only better, that would put this TV up there even more.

It makes me wonder if in the service menu you can give Contrast a more potent status

it is so weird I can have CELL at 10 and Contrast at 100 and **** even Dynamic Contrast

HIGH and the whites are still not as strong as a cheap 32" SANYO LCD, I am here

watching the same channel on the same HD boxes and SANYO PQ popping out more?????wtf

that's just weird.
post #1450 of 1860 Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Gslide, as you were told before you won't achieve a level of brightness equal to any decent LCD with a plasma, that's just how the technology is. BUT you get great contrast, hence great blacks and a far more faithful color reproduction.

I think you need to stop comparing the two technologies side by side and focusing only on the whites' brightness, because, as they are, the whites on this screen are perfectly fine! Remember the last time you went to an actual movie theater, I don't think the whites were as bright as to blind the spectators, the whiter isn't the better!

Plasma technology excels in reproducing a movie_like picture, that's why it's the technology of choice for movie-lovers and home-cinema enthusiasts. LCD's, on the other hand, are derivated from multimedia applications and as such are great on still pictures (ie desktops...) and videogames (even though I love my xbox360 on my plasma) but have a more artificial feel to them. Of course LCD's can produce brightness as to make your eyes bleed, but what's the point?

Also I strongly advise you not to get into the service menu. Not only will you likely not be able to get brighter whites, but you risk messing up the picture for good, as apparently a number of posters here have.

My advice to you is to just enjoy your plasma for its numerous qualities and stop focusing on a flaw that isn't really one!
post #1451 of 1860 Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Hey all, first time poster. Been following the thread for a couple of weeks since I ordered my box (euro ver PS43D450) which arrived yesterday. Thanks all for the fantastic information and tips on setup.
Easily the best tele I've owned, after 24hrs straight gaming and movie watching, no IR to speak of and I've dialled in some of the picture settings, I can't believe the quality of the device for the cost. 5/5 stars from me.
Regards Bob
post #1452 of 1860 Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM

first time poster here, sorry if this has been covered. we use this on a tv news set, and it looks great, but the image goes into a dimming power saving mode after about 20 or 30 minutes. we are feeding the same still graphic into it over the analog rca jack. changing to another source will fix it, but we'd rather not. anything we can do to defeat that? thanks
post #1453 of 1860 Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
U-2

Settings->Screen Burn Protection->Auto Protection Time->OFF
post #1454 of 1860 Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM

New Owner of PN51D450. Just finished reading all 49 pages of this forum. Thanks to everyone, esp Grimmy and Nutdog for some great settings to start with. But I have two questions:

1. What audio settings are people using who do not have a system hooked up to the t.v.?

2. Tried playing a Blu-Ray. But my Blu-Ray player couldn't recognize the t.v. and thus only output a 480 signal?
post #1455 of 1860 Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheels77 View Post

New Owner of PN51D450. Just finished reading all 49 pages of this forum. Thanks to everyone, esp Grimmy and Nutdog for some great settings to start with. But I have two questions:

1. What audio settings are people using who do not have a system hooked up to the t.v.?

2. Tried playing a Blu-Ray. But my Blu-Ray player couldn't recognize the t.v. and thus only output a 480 signal?

2: is your blu-ray player's firmware up-to-date? I assume you're using HDMI?
post #1456 of 1860 Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM

@maskedavenger

yes using hdmi, i will check my firmware

any suggestions for the audio settings?

thanks
post #1457 of 1860 Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM

New guy,here. Just got a D450 and the picture is too dark. Night scenes,you can't even see whats happening.

I've got the cell light set to 10,contrast to 95,brightness to 95. Still way too dark. Did I just get a bad set?

Any help appreciated.

gary
post #1458 of 1860 Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Hi all!
I just got this TV primarily for gaming with PS3.

I am getting a pretty bad motion blur while gaming. When I'm playing a game and spin quickly the clouds, trees, or other objects in the distance look very fuzzy. When turning at a medium or even slow pace I can clearly see edges of objects flickering. (Skyrim)

Any other PS3 users noticed it?

I am also getting a bad eye fatigue after an hour of looking at it. I suspect it's the refresh rate. When I look away from the TV I can see the screen flickering in the peripheral vision. Looking directly at the screen it looks fine (but I guess the brain compensates and hence the headaches).

I'm kind of surprised because I bought this TV based on all the write ups of how fast Plasma refresh is and how smooth the fast moving images are.

Is my TV faulty or is it just the way it is? I bought it at a small shop and doubt they will take it back because there is no obvious evidence of it being "broken".

Thanks!
post #1459 of 1860 Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuros View Post

Hi all!
I just got this TV primarily for gaming with PS3.

I am getting a pretty bad motion blur while gaming. When I'm playing a game and spin quickly the clouds, trees, or other objects in the distance look very fuzzy. When turning at a medium or even slow pace I can clearly see edges of objects flickering. (Skyrim)

Any other PS3 users noticed it?

I am also getting a bad eye fatigue after an hour of looking at it. I suspect it's the refresh rate. When I look away from the TV I can see the screen flickering in the peripheral vision. Looking directly at the screen it looks fine (but I guess the brain compensates and hence the headaches).

I'm kind of surprised because I bought this TV based on all the write ups of how fast Plasma refresh is and how smooth the fast moving images are.

Is my TV faulty or is it just the way it is? I bought it at a small shop and doubt they will take it back because there is no obvious evidence of it being "broken".

Thanks!

which one do you have 450 or 490 this would help some. if it's 490 then do you have it in game mode? i do not notice any motion blur on my 51490 and ps3. also what is your ps3 set to ? did you let it automatically set the resolution when it was set up? mine set to 1080p. hope this helps good luck.
post #1460 of 1860 Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM

@thebigdaddye

Sorry, should have specified. My TV is the 43D450 model.
My PS3 is set to 720p. And the TV is in Game Mode.
post #1461 of 1860 Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post

Turn tv off. Then press mute, 1, 8, 2, power. Then scroll to service. Should show display hours. This will reset all picture settings to default, so if you want to keep your settings write them down.

I've been running the break in DVD for several days on and off and I'm trying to figure out how many hours it's been running. I can get into the service menu but I don't see the hour. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what to press so I don't screw anything up, lol.
post #1462 of 1860 Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 AM

just got my 51" plasma on friday. i actually got it for free. we bought new living room furniture and got a free 51" plasma tv. so far this tv is amazing. i'm still waiting on my wall mount bracket to come in from monoprice, along with my hdmi cable and surge protector. (i borrowed the hdmi from my xbox in the living room)

i read through about half the thread, sorry my eyes started to hurt. anyway, i've not done any of the break in stuff, i just adjusted the cell light and brightness and all that.

one concern: i see lots of people saying to set the cell light pretty high, like 8-10. 1 have mine set at like 3-4, brightness at 45, and the rest at 50. dynamic contast on and the black level thing at dark.

mine is placed in my master bedroom, so there not alot of light when i'm watching it, i have a 50" Samsung DLP in my living room that we watch tv on aswell (which we actually, really like. beautiful picture).

question about plasma:

is it ok to turn it on for a short time? my daughter likes to watch cartoons in the morning while we get dressed.

i have some left over dvr stuff that is non HD- will it be ok to finish it up, with the tv on wide-fit? it still leaves a small black bars at the top and bottom. will that be ok without breaking it in? (i dont have a blu-ray player, nor desire to add one)
post #1463 of 1860 Old 01-10-2012, 06:12 PM

spider pig, you should just use "normal viewing" settings rather than dimming everything so that the picture is basically unwatchable due to fears about burn-in. Use some of the setting posted here as a starting point, such as Nutdotnet's settings--except I would just leave the White Balance (W/B) settings at default (all at 25) because W/B varies quite a bit from set to set for Samsung plasmas (whereas the basic settings are more consistent) so there's no point in using someone else's W/B settings. You can fine-tune some of the basic settings using a "calibration" disc, of course.

Also read the following posts by Doug Blackburn, a respected calibrator who contributes frequently to this forum. In the first post, he addresses the belief that you need to break-in a plasma (specifically about the need to run a break-in disc, but the points he makes can be understood generally as well); in the second post, he talks about the Cell Light setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

You should run the pattern disc exactly Zero hours. There is NOTHING the disc does that helps anything. "Break-in" is sheer AVS hogwash. Simply use common sense for the first 100 hours or so: minimize programs with black bars (a movie now and then is no problem); avoid long sessions with stationary graphics on the screen (news channels, games, etc.). Use normal settings for the TV -- neither too bright or too dark. Nothing you do [early on] will prevent burn-in... NOTHING. If you do something bad enough to cause burn-in it doesn't matter if the TV has 5 hours or 5000 hours on it (with anal use of the burn-in disc)... you are still going to have a burned-in TV on your hands. Nothing you do early on will stop image retention either. Your TV will ALWAYS be susceptible to burn-in and image retention. It is a plasma and current plasma technology has not eliminated these undesirable characteristics and no break-in disc will EVER change that in ANY way.

That said, the phosphors in your plasma TV will change somewhat during the first 100-200 hours, but they are going to change exactly the same way no matter what means you use to put 100-200 hours on the panel. You can simply watch TV like a normal person (avoiding over-doing any of the things mentioned above), or you can uselessly rack up 100-200 hours on the TV and DVD player with a break-in disc and end up at EXACTLY the same place either way. "Break-in" discs are AVS paranoia/hysteria run amok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

It's not a "backlight" setting. It's "Cell Light". Plasma TVs have no backlight - only LCD TVs (so far) have backlights. Samsung dreamt-up the Cell Light setting so their LCD TVs and Plasma TVs could have the same menus. As it turns out, the Cell Light setting is worthless - it accomplishes nothing useful (and does mess with the gamma curve as the previous poster mentioned). With the Cell Light control set to 10, Samsung plasmas work as they would if there was no Cell Light control at all. So 10 is the only correct setting for Cell Light. You still have control over how bright the picture is with the Contrast control just like every other TV.

post #1464 of 1860 Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Just picked up a 43d490 tonight and checked out the Direct TV 3D channels and was actually blown away. I had both the C680 and the D550 last year but returned them because the 3D was underwhelming. Well, I couldn't be happier with this TV. It's perfect for my bedroom with lighting and distance. 2D to 3D is pretty good as well. I have now seen every "good" 3D Tv and this holds its own with any of them. Yeah, I know it's not 1080p but just for 3D effects and quality it is awesome. Now off to break her in and try some setting posted here.

Cheers!!
post #1465 of 1860 Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

Just picked up a 43d490 tonight and checked out the Direct TV 3D channels and was actually blown away. I had both the C680 and the D550 last year but returned them because the 3D was underwhelming. Well, I couldn't be happier with this TV. It's perfect for my bedroom with lighting and distance. 2D to 3D is pretty good as well. I have now seen every "good" 3D Tv and this holds its own with any of them. Yeah, I know it's not 1080p but just for 3D effects and quality it is awesome. Now off to break her in and try some setting posted here.

Cheers!!

For 3D, I had to really re-adjust the settings because the tv seems to automatically add a level a brightness to the picture but the settings that worked best for me are;

Picture mode: Standard
Cell:18
Contrast: 80
Brightness:32 (which is too low for 2D viewing but anything higher makes 3D look washed out in dark scenes, really noticed this in Fright Night and a few others with dark/light scenes mixed. The TV still looks very bright though since the television automatically adjusts for the 3D as I stated.)
Sharpness:0
Color:53
Tint:G49/51
Gamma: +1
Color Space:Auto
r-offset:12
g-offset:25
b-offset:26
r-gain:14
g-gain:25
b-gain:14
Color Tone: warm2
everything else set to off or normal.

2D:

All the same except brightness is 42 instead of 32, the sharpness is at 33 instead of 0 since my directv is SD instead of HD, and the white balance settings are;

r-offset:16
g-offset:25
b-offset:16
r-gain:41
g-gain:25
b-gain:37

I combined a few of the settings on here to get this picture but I had to adjust the cell, contrast, and brightness, by eye.
post #1466 of 1860 Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkibe View Post

I've been running the break in DVD for several days on and off and I'm trying to figure out how many hours it's been running. I can get into the service menu but I don't see the hour. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what to press so I don't screw anything up, lol.

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
post #1467 of 1860 Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 AM

service menu > SVC > at the top
post #1468 of 1860 Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical View Post

spider pig, you should just use "normal viewing" settings rather than dimming everything so that the picture is basically unwatchable due to fears about burn-in. Use some of the setting posted here as a starting point, such as XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX except I would just leave the White Balance (W/B) settings at default (all at 25) because W/B varies quite a bit from set to set for Samsung plasmas (whereas the basic settings are more consistent) so there's no point in using someone else's W/B settings. You can fine-tune some of the basic settings using a "calibration" disc, of course.

Also read the following posts by Doug Blackburn, a respected calibrator who contributes frequently to this forum. In the first post, he addresses the belief that you need to break-in a plasma (specifically about the need to run a break-in disc, but the points he makes can be understood generally as well); in the second post, he talks about the Cell Light setting.

well, last night i turned the cell light up to 8 and adjusted some of the others, turned the brightness to 45, contrast at 50, and left everything else at 50 or factory settings.

then i watched Veniceta Garage on Velocity and the picture and colors were so amazing now.

i'm loving this plasma tv more and more. cant wait for my wall mount and finish off my shelf above it for my dvr.
post #1469 of 1860 Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.lewarne View Post

service menu > SVC > at the top

Nope. I see Option, ADC/WB, Control and Advanced as my choices.
post #1470 of 1860 Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM

can i fix my hdmi calibration failure with a flash drive(that has the checker board pattern on it) ?? if so can someone please explain to me how i don't want to screw up the tv
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn43d490 43 Inch 720p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn51d450 51 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page