AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1322999-samsung-pnxxd450-pnxxd490-owners-thread.html)

eckohb 03-20-2011 09:03 AM

This is the Official Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread. Feel free to add your pictures, opinions, advice, calibration settings, etc.

*Samsung's PN43D450 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN43D450A2DXZA

*Samsung's PN43D490 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN43D490A1DXZA

*Samsung's PN51D450 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51D450A2DXZA

*Samsung's PN51D490 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51D490A1DXZA

eckohb 03-20-2011 12:11 PM

Here are some pictures of my PN43D450

Alex V 03-20-2011 12:48 PM

Hey eckohb! Good that you opened a thread on it. I'll post some pictures too when I get the 43d450. And try to get some nice looking settings for it.

eckohb 03-20-2011 01:02 PM

Nice! I cant wait til you do, so I've got something to compare. I hope to hear your input as soon as you get it

Alex V 03-21-2011 11:32 AM

Little update: Just got a track n trace number so it should be here tomorrow if there aren't any problems or delays.

eckohb 03-21-2011 12:25 PM

Awesome! I guess we'll be the only two owners interested in posting for the time being haha. I really need to get a better camera than my blackberry to get some high quality photos for people to really see what they are getting with this TV. The pictures Ive posted just do not do it justice

Iguana 03-21-2011 12:28 PM

I got the 440 which is the Sams Club version of the 450. I got pics in the other Sammy thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1171

eckohb 03-21-2011 12:53 PM

I just put D450 on this title because the 440/450 are essentially the same TV. Just a different model number for price matching purposes. Feel free to post pics, settings, or anything other helpful information here. Youre TV looks good, I wish I could get HQ pictures like that lol

gtpboy 03-21-2011 02:41 PM

Quick question my father in law is going to pick up a 43D450 tomorrow from Sam's Club but he wanted to know if it came with an HDMI cable or will he have to buy one separately? I thought my LG 32LE5300 came with one included but I couldn't remember.

Thanks

moline 03-21-2011 02:46 PM

just picked up a 51d440 at sams for a sony sxrd that died.

does anyone have a good calibration settings? i was using a cablecard. and haven't picked up a TW cable box yet. but SD looks awful!

thanks
later
dan

eckohb 03-21-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpboy View Post

Quick question my father in law is going to pick up a 43D450 tomorrow from Sam's Club but he wanted to know if it came with an HDMI cable or will he have to buy one separately? I thought my LG 32LE5300 came with one included but I couldn't remember.

Thanks

It wont come with one. If you use cable, you could ask if they would upgrade you to an HDMI box and provide you with one. I use charter cable, and they provided me with one. (two actually, after i complained and threatened to get DISH after my service was acting up lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moline View Post

just picked up a 51d440 at sams for a sony sxrd that died.

does anyone have a good calibration settings? i was using a cablecard. and haven't picked up a TW cable box yet. but SD looks awful!

thanks
later
dan

I dont have any actual calibration settings yet. Thats odd that SD would look awful... I thought the exact opposite. Some SD material even looks HD on this TV, which I couldnt say about my LCD and LED TVs I exchanged for this. Here's the settings im currently using

Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 6
Contrast: 95
Brightness" 50
Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Advanced Settings
Black Tone: off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: +1
Color Space: Native
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: off

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm 1
Size: 16:9
Digital Noise Filter: Off

renovati0 03-21-2011 06:07 PM

i will try your calibration mode @eckohb thanks

gtpboy 03-21-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post
It wont come with one. If you use cable, you could ask if they would upgrade you to an HDMI box and provide you with one. I use charter cable, and they provided me with one. (two actually, after i complained and threatened to get DISH after my service was acting up lol)
Thats right I forgot we have TWC and they do include an HDMI cable with the HD boxes now, last HD box I got from them was 4 years ago and back then they just included component cables even though it did have HDMI out. I know they have an HD box so they must have an HDMI cable somewhere around the house.

Thanks

moline 03-21-2011 11:32 PM

Eckohb - thanks
I used your settings. Much, much better.
Beginning to like the sammy now.

I used some geneticsamsung settings i got off the web - didn't help.
My mother-in-law has a sammy c450. Loved the picture once
I used settings from AVS. Looks better than my TH42p600 panny.

But i was not imprssed when I got the pn51d440 home. Looking better though.
Will pickup a HD cable box tomorrow. We'll see.

Thanks again - breat help!

Later
Dan

renovati0 03-22-2011 01:07 AM

kudos eckohb for the current calibration..
if there is a better setting plz post yeah.. thanks

renovati0 03-22-2011 01:39 AM

any1 know what is the use of the pin in the setting??

eckohb 03-22-2011 07:23 AM

Thanks guys. They are pretty basic, but they look good in my living room. I wish I could afford a professional calibration with some software and meters, it'd be nice to mess with some more of the advanced settings.

gtpboy - no problem. hopefully they've got one for you. I had to go to my local place to get them because the installers didnt carry them on the truck, but happy to get them either way. good luck

kdog044 03-22-2011 09:15 AM

Guys, I just purchased the D450 and will post once it is delivered next week. I have the Guide to Home Theater calibration DVD so I can post my settings when I get it set up.
My wife has wanted a plasma for the bedroom for a while and I was able to get this TV with my AMEX points so I couldn't beat the price.

eckohb 03-22-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post

Guys, I just purchased the D450 and will post once it is delivered next week. I have the Guide to Home Theater calibration DVD so I can post my settings when I get it set up.
My wife has wanted a plasma for the bedroom for a while and I was able to get this TV with my AMEX points so I couldn't beat the price.

Awesome! Glad to see more and more people recognizing the value in this television. Cant wait to hear your personal review, and see what settings you end up using.

eckohb 03-22-2011 09:44 AM

FYI, the PN43D450 is going for $539 at Sears and BB right now. Im going to get my difference in price today since I paid 599 two weeks ago. A little closer to getting a blu ray player now

kdog044 03-22-2011 09:54 AM

Are either of you planning on wall mounting yours? I was looking at the #3724 from Monoprice. It appears to have good reviews and is less than $50. The TV I am getting is the PN43D450. If anyone can tell me if the mounting holes meet the specs below I would appreciate it.

Mounting holes on television should be 30" or less apart horizontally & 18.75" or less apart vertically

Alex V 03-22-2011 10:18 AM

I set it up just now. I like the picture on it, but I got a buzzer :P It's pretty noticeable, more so than on my parents c450. I always listen to my headphones so it's not that much of a problem but it would be nice if it wasn't there. Picturequality is a little better than the c450 but no big jump on first sight. PQ looks good though.

I really, really like the aestetics of this set. I can't wallmount it yet, set it up on the stand but I think it looks pretty awesome when wallmounted. That's also the biggest difference with the c450. The UI is an upgraded version of the look of the C series, not the higher end D look btw.

It plays 24p really well and accepts the input, but I did notice some judder in panning scene on the movie rogue, it's not too bad but it's there.

Does support 4:4:4:4 ybpcr pixel mapping and also full rgb in combination with my htpc. I'll post some pictures later once I have some time to test it.

So far pretty happy with it, except for the buzz. Good value this tv

eckohb 03-22-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post

Are either of you planning on wall mounting yours? I was looking at the #3724 from Monoprice. It appears to have good reviews and is less than $50. The TV I am getting is the PN43D450. If anyone can tell me if the mounting holes meet the specs below I would appreciate it.

Mounting holes on television should be 30" or less apart horizontally & 18.75" or less apart vertically

I would like to mount it, but Im not going to in my apartment. Ive got a one year lease, and dont plan on living here forever. So I just plan on using the stand for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V View Post

I set it up just now. I like the picture on it, but I got a buzzer :P It's pretty noticeable, more so than on my parents c450. I always listen to my headphones so it's not that much of a problem but it would be nice if it wasn't there. Picturequality is a little better than the c450 but no big jump on first sight. PQ looks good though.

I really, really like the aestetics of this set. I can't wallmount it yet, set it up on the stand but I think it looks pretty awesome when wallmounted. That's also the biggest difference with the c450. The UI is an upgraded version of the look of the C series, not the higher end D look btw.

It plays 24p really well and accepts the input, but I did notice some judder in panning scene on the movie rogue, it's not too bad but it's there.

Does support 4:4:4:4 ybpcr pixel mapping and also full rgb in combination with my htpc. I'll post some pictures later once I have some time to test it.

So far pretty happy with it, except for the buzz. Good value this tv

Youve got buzzing??? That's really odd. Can you hear it over the volume, or is it when you get really close to the tv? I've heard of this issue on plasmas, but I havent experienced it on mine.

Alex V 03-22-2011 10:24 AM

You can hear it when the sound is on volume 2. But I've got a European model. It's the powersupply that is making the noise.

eckohb 03-22-2011 10:25 AM

ahh, ok. Is that something more common with european models? Let me know what settings you end up settling with, as Im always open to improving my picture, or at least testing out others settings.

Alex V 03-22-2011 10:27 AM

Europe maybe uses a different power supply, or I just have a bad one. I haven't had alot of time with the set yet, but warm 1 looked best for the colortemperature. I'll post some more settings later on.

kdog044 03-22-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

I would like to mount it, but Im not going to in my apartment. Ive got a one year lease, and dont plan on living here forever. So I just plan on using the stand for the time being.

Well if you could just measure the distance of the mounting holes for me I would appreciate it.

eckohb 03-22-2011 10:40 AM

haha, this is the second time someone has asked me to measure something on this tv. I need to get a measuring tape, and I would have no problem doing that for you, unless someone else gets to it before me.

kdog044 03-22-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

haha, this is the second time someone has asked me to measure something on this tv. I need to get a measuring tape, and I would have no problem doing that for you, unless someone else gets to it before me.

Okay, if you don't get to before Tuesday don't worry about it as that is when mine is supposed to arrive. If anyone else has the same model and could measure the distance that would be great.

Alex V 03-22-2011 11:25 AM

Ok some pictures from me:

Digital TV @ 576i :

1920x1080@24hz input