Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1920 Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get the brightness pops in Standard and movie mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1920 Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM

boy am i happy i have not had anything like most of you say... they are replaceing my 50 with a new 51d550.. i sure hope it is like my 59 and not have any of these problems, they said i only get a 90 day warrinty with the new 51 because my 50 was about out of warrinnty....
post #363 of 1920 Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglin View Post

If this is the case then it would possibly explain why some people do not have the problem. The problem could vary based on the installation locations and the ambient light and reflective light properties where the set is installed at. For example a set that is on a stand with plenty of room for the light that spills out from panel to travel without reflecting off anything may react differently than a TV that is wall mounted and surrounded by walls that are painted light in color.

Perhaps a good test might be to rig up a black cardboard backdrop that could be temporarily placed around the entire perimeter of the tv which would limit the amount of refected light back to the "eco sensor".

Another quick test would be just to shine a flashlight at it in the dark with the scene paused.
post #364 of 1920 Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM

I'm happy with the TV,for no more then I paid for it,The spikes are annoying but I use this TV for mostly blu ray and gaming. I haven't noticed any spikes while gaming and after turring on Cinema smooth, I don't think I have gotten any on blu ray. So lets hope for a firmware fix.
post #365 of 1920 Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

Well there is hope... I stated a poll in this section to find out if all "D" series owners are having this issue. There seems to be lots of people that don't. I'll be returning my 59D550 and going with a 59D6500 in the hopes that between changing models and getting a new set, I'll no longer have this problem.

Just to let you know that a friend of mine bought the 59D6500 a week later than I did and he has the same exact problem. Both were from Best Buy. I am pretty much 95% sure that I am going to end up returning mine this weekend and give up on them for a while. Reports are that the new Panasonics also have the same problem.

EDIT: The poping was really bad on the next to last episode of LOST. It was the final straw. It is now packed up heading back to Best Buy tomorrow. I may try another one a few months down the road, but this was the 2nd one I had with the same problems.
post #366 of 1920 Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I just learned that I have to label the input as "PC" to work with Full Range RGB 4:4:4 input signals properly. (And it only works with Samsung HDTVs but there is no way for this with Panasonics -> That's why I thought that those G20s are awful when I tested them with RGB input only... ; But what should I expect from a display with physical RGB subpixels? Only YCC 4:2:2, right? Zzzz...)

Now I have a question: Does this "PC" mode break any other features, like CinemaSmooth (or any other useful feature...)?

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #367 of 1920 Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Just watched Akira last night with cinema smooth on and didn't get any pops, C.S. might just be the magical cure... for blu-ray anyways.
post #368 of 1920 Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 AM

^ I found that to be true on some titles, while others it does not make any difference.
post #369 of 1920 Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM

post #370 of 1920 Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post

Finally on the Samsusng site?

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN64D550C1FXZA

Those pages are so terribly put together. Says it has 2 HDMI ports.
post #371 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
They still don't list the 59".

I entered the Service Menu this weekend and enabled the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT modes...they show up in addition to Movie, Standard, and Dynamic. Don't know if there's actually anything special about them, but I haven't noticed the contrast pops yet. Also, interestingly enough, when I calibrated these modes, I was able to set my brightness and contrast much lower.

The SM is complete Greek to me. I only knew what to do by reading another post on this site. I was nervous doing what I did and doubly so navigating through the rest of the menu.

I'll report back if I do notice contrast shifts.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #372 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

They still don't list the 59".

I entered the Service Menu this weekend and enabled the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT modes...they show up in addition to Movie, Standard, and Dynamic. Don't know if there's actually anything special about them, but I haven't noticed the contrast pops yet. Also, interestingly enough, when I calibrated these modes, I was able to set my brightness and contrast much lower.

The SM is complete Greek to me. I only knew what to do by reading another post on this site. I was nervous doing what I did and doubly so navigating through the rest of the menu.

I'll report back if I do notice contrast shifts.

If you aren't a calibrator you are wasting your time. Cal-Day/Night does little more than offer two more Mode options along with Movie, etc. I have not tested a 2011 yet, but older models do the following and I have not heard that anything has changed. If you make adjustments in these modes, and then subsequently re-enter the Service Menu, 10 point Grayscale and Custom Color settings will reset to the factory settings. Don't ask me why. It's a Samsung thing defying logic. Unless you have copied the numbers, you're screwed. A firmware update may or may not do the same thing.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #373 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

If you aren't a calibrator you are wasting your time. Cal-Day/Night does little more than offer two more Mode options along with Movie, etc. I have not tested a 2011 yet, but older models do the following and I have not heard that anything has changed. If you make adjustments in these modes, and then subsequently re-enter the Service Menu, 10 point Grayscale and Custom Color settings will reset to the factory settings. Don't ask me why. It's a Samsung thing defying logic. Unless you have copied the numbers, you're screwed. A firmware update may or may not do the same thing.

Reverting to the factory settings just means that I have to reinput my settings for cell, brightness, contrast, etc. Right? Yeah, I had all of those written down. The odd thing was that when I put my Movie settings into CAL-DAY, they were overly bright. I had to recalibrate and dial them down much more. Everything else remained the same- all advanced options off, eco options off, Warm2, etc.

My thinking in all of this was that the three modes offered- Movie, Standard, and Dynamic- have an auto-contrast leveling algorithm forced on them....and that if I opened up the two CAL modes, maybe I'd get rid of this. Don't know if that's happened, but I didn't notice any contrast shifts yesterday.

post #374 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I have no black spikes, pops, etc.

It seems like I have my brightness low compared to others:

Cell 18
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
post #375 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Hello. Curious to know whether someone have any idea how the d550 compares to the b550 (yes b not c) which I think was a quite a good TV. Just if someone has seen them both and could compare processing, blacks, brightness or whatever might have been improved. I am tempted to purchase a 59" maybe.
Thanks in advance!

I want my next TV to have "smell the glove"-blacklevel. I got me an st50 and I think I can smell some leather in a not too far away distance somewhere.
post #376 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnick View Post

Hello. Curious to know whether someone have any idea how the d550 compares to the b550 (yes b not c) which I think was a quite a good TV. Just if someone has seen them both and could compare processing, blacks, brightness or whatever might have been improved. I am tempted to purchase a 59" maybe.
Thanks in advance!

My father has a B550 and I have a D550 so I'm somewhat familiar with both. He has probably never taken the B550 off the default settings though, so this is not really a fair comparison.

My D550 if much more reflective, and this is my biggest complaint about it. Glare is an issue with the D550 in all but the darkest of rooms. Black levels seem to be better on the B550 but it's not that big of a difference. Picture quality is better on my D550, but that could be because he's using bad cal settings. It's hard to compare without optimizing.

If you have a B550, I wouldn't spend the money to get the D550 unless you really want 3D, and you have a room where glare will not be an issue.
post #377 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM

hi and thanks! Well I have fiddled around quite a lot with the b550 I have been in contact with. It belongs to my parents and I cant help push on every button or setting there is just to try to figure out what it does to the picture. My biggest concern with the b550 has been thats its not that very bright out of the box. But now its looks quite well. I think that the AR on the b550 is decent. Blacklevel too is decent. Not great but its ok. Yeah I understand its hard to compare if you havent played around with them fully and side by side. They should be fairly equal in black level if the d550 is anywhere around the d8000's MLL.
Reflectiveness isnt that much of a concern for me, but I was hoping that the the d-models had a tad more punch than the b-models. The b550 still lacks a bit of that, that even my 2007 hd-ready Samsung do well. Bright colours and fairly punchy. :-) And NO I dont want an LCD/LED. Anyway I might go and see one for myself any day now. I just thought I'd ask what I could expect from a tuned in d550 because it might be hard to change much of the settings in 5 mins in some big store. Thanks !

I want my next TV to have "smell the glove"-blacklevel. I got me an st50 and I think I can smell some leather in a not too far away distance somewhere.
post #378 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnick View Post

hi and thanks! Well I have fiddled around quite a lot with the b550 I have been in contact with. It belongs to my parents and I cant help push on every button or setting there is just to try to figure out what it does to the picture. My biggest concern with the b550 has been thats its not that very bright out of the box. But now its looks quite well. I think that the AR on the b550 is decent. Blacklevel too is decent. Not great but its ok. Yeah I understand its hard to compare if you havent played around with them fully and side by side. They should be fairly equal in black level if the d550 is anywhere around the d8000's MLL.
Reflectiveness isnt that much of a concern for me, but I was hoping that the the d-models had a tad more punch than the b-models. The b550 still lacks a bit of that, that even my 2007 hd-ready Samsung do well. Bright colours and fairly punchy. :-) And NO I dont want an LCD/LED. Anyway I might go and see one for myself any day now. I just thought I'd ask what I could expect from a tuned in d550 because it might be hard to change much of the settings in 5 mins in some big store. Thanks !

The D's that I saw yesterday at bestbuy were very impressive. I was quite shocked by how good they looked sitting next to the other brands. Last year when I got mine the C's were not so impressive compared to the other brands and models, not bad, just not impressive.
post #379 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post
Awsome, don't have to worry about people saying" How can it be out, its not on Samsungs web site?"

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #380 of 1920 Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM

wooglin, very excited to go and have a look at one now because of your comments. b550 was almost "there". I might even get a 59"er :-) Even before the Stanley Cup playoffs are over.

post #381 of 1920 Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Reverting to the factory settings just means that I have to reinput my settings for cell, brightness, contrast, etc. Right?

My thinking in all of this was that the three modes offered- Movie, Standard, and Dynamic- have an auto-contrast leveling algorithm forced on them....and that if I opened up the two CAL modes, maybe I'd get rid of this. Don't know if that's happened, but I didn't notice any contrast shifts yesterday.
Yes, you need to re-enter the settings. Hopefully Samsung will correct this sometime before I die.

I believe you are correct in that there are often non-defeatable processes taking place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
It seems like I have my brightness low compared to others:
Brightness 50
Correct brightness is unique to your set. Buy or download the free AVS disc to properly set Brightness for your TV.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #382 of 1920 Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

So is anybody else using this much for 3d? I currently am but I've never had a 3d set before, so I don't know how the 3d quality compares. The thing I'm curious about is if most sets and displays cause the "pop out" images to lose focus or if that's just me and my eyeballs. I feel like most displays do this, with perhaps only the cinema Sony 4k Real D systems being a bit above average, and film IMAX definitely the worst.

Also, I'm currently running it in dynamic for 3d because that was the only setting that made the SMPTE bars look normal (with the glasses on and 2d->3d enabled on the WOW disc). Even when I toyed around with movie mode, trying to use the same settings, it wouldn't give the look that dynamic did. The downside of dynamic mode though is the advanced picture settings are inaccessible, and I'm assuming dynamic contrast is locked to on... though maybe that's a good thing considering the dimness of 3d, but the option to turn it off sure would be nice.
post #383 of 1920 Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Today I have had chance to take photos of my new PS51D550 which was purchased last Sunday, 17th April (manufactured on 24/03/2011). Please take a look at the photos below.

After I changed model code from D550 to D7000 in service menu, there seemed to be some thing unlocked as result, but also this made my box unable to open USB and USB HDD content. Then when I returned the value to initial D550 the TV works as before.

I suppose that there is a way to unlock and modify the firmware so that the 51D550 will deliver browse internet, skype service like D7000 lines.
post #384 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 AM

Interesting. When I changed my model to a 6 and 7 Series a while back my HDMI ports nolonger work correctly so I switched it back.
I didn't even look around to see what if any new settings became available since they're pointless without any input. =P
It showed in the source menu that the devices are connected, but no image/sound to the TV.
I was still able to read usb contents and media on devices connected to my network. All 4 HDMIs just didn't work right.

My model is PN51D550. Are there any differences between the PN and the PS?
I did notice a few differences between the two in the service menu, but I'm assuming its just due to the dif regions.

Sorry, camera phone. Dunno why the blue is so bright in the pictures. o_O?
Anyways, I shopped them together so their easier to see in just 1 pic.
post #385 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by faaeng View Post

Interesting. If I change my model to a 6 or 7 Series a while back my HDMI ports nolonger work correctly so I switched it back. Didn't even look around to see what if any new settings became available.
It showed in the source menu that the devices are connected, but no image/sound to the TV.

My model is PN51D550. What differences are there between the PN and the PS?

Correct me if i'm wrong but PN is for the North American model (http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs) and PS is for Europe and the rest of the world (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...getype=subtype)
post #386 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

For you brave souls that are foraging through the service menus...any settings you've been able to find that might turn off the auto-contrast leveling that seems to plague many of these sets?

post #387 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

Correct me if i'm wrong but PN is for the North American model (http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs) and PS is for Europe and the rest of the world (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...getype=subtype)

That is correct, but I was wondering if their are any actual differences between the two or not.

Quote:

For you brave souls that are foraging through the service menus...any settings you've been able to find that might turn off the auto-contrast leveling that seems to plague many of these sets?

Nothing that stands out to me atleast.
There are some setting that once I chose them gave a blank screen rather then brining up a sub menus. Not sure what that's about.
I am also one of the few who does not have this issue so I wouldn't know how to go about testing for it.
post #388 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faaeng View Post

Nothing that stands out to me atleast.
There are some setting that once I chose them gave a blank screen rather then brining up a sub menus. Not sure what that's about.
I am also one of the few who does not have this issue so I wouldn't know how to go about testing for it.

Reports of folks not having this intrigues the hell out of me. It makes me wonder if it's a source or settings problem. Do you mind typing out your basic settings, any advanced settings you might have turned on, and if you messed with your gamma level?

Also, what source do you use for TV? Cable? Satellite?

post #389 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Reports of folks not having this intrigues the hell out of me. It makes me wonder if it's a source or settings problem. Do you mind typing out your basic settings, any advanced settings you might have turned on, and if you messed with your gamma level?

Also, what source do you use for TV? Cable? Satellite?

I am skeptical of anyone who claims they don't have it. Reminds me of the Panny owners claiming they didn't have floating or rising blacks. Some people are either not that picky or simply missing it, as it can be subtle most of the times. I think the problem is less offensive when watching blu rays and depending on how you have your tv set up. It is disturbing that both Sammy and Panasonic have this issue this year. It's really making me consider LCD, I swear my EX500 has no problems and better PQ than any of the lower end plasmas from the last two years. But I prefer the look of the plasma in a dark room so I just wish we could get some reviews and measurements so I know which model to try next.
post #390 of 1920 Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I am skeptical of anyone who claims they don't have it. Reminds me of the Panny owners claiming they didn't have floating or rising blacks. Some people are either not that picky or simply missing it, as it can be subtle most of the times. I think the problem is less offensive when watching blu rays and depending on how you have your tv set up. It is disturbing that both Sammy and Panasonic have this issue this year. It's really making me consider LCD, I swear my EX500 has no problems and better PQ than any of the lower end plasmas from the last two years. But I prefer the look of the plasma in a dark room so I just wish we could get some reviews and measurements so I know which model to try next.

The real rub is you are in a forum filled with folks that are for the most part very picky. It is quite possible that many folks dont see the "pops" because they are very insignifcant. I am picky and will report what I experience after my 51d is delivered this weekend. To be honest I will glady trade last years problems (banding, bleeding, and horrendous IR) for the "pops" if they are what I am guessing they are, especially considering Samsung stepped up to the plate and replaced my unit with this years 3d model free of charge, and included enough 3d glasses for my family of four.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page