Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm confused by the 60hz listing on most websites for this TV, I have even looked at the E-Manual on the TV and it says 60hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone using to calibrate their tv's?

How accurate is the color calibration tool in windows 7? I imagine it probably isn't the best way to set anything.
post #33 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post

I'm confused by the 60hz listing on most websites for this TV, I have even looked at the E-Manual on the TV and it says 60hz

Whats the confusion? Did you think it should be 600? Thats just marketing fluff.

Gotta say goodbye to my fellow 550 owners

Just got it back to sears. The glare was a killer for me, hello ST30!!
post #34 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Whats the confusTheion? Did you think it should be 600? Thats just marketing fluff.

I understand that, but why this TV and why now? The 450/490 are listed as 600Hz, I guess maybe as a justification of price, or rather a justification of the price of TV's up market.

I've been doing research for a buddy who really wants 3D and likes this TV but I haven't seen one in person and without a listing on samsung's website there is a lot of conflicting figures.

Some sites say this TV is 720, some says it has 2 HDMI some 4 HDMI, Some have the pictures of a different TV.

I am under the impression that the 50D550C1 is 1080/60Hz/2 HDMI/ Uses the new Bluetooth glasses.

Please correct any of my assumptions and if anyone knows does the TV convert 2D to 3D, I have never been impressed with this feature but I didn't ask my buddy if he cared.
post #35 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that, but why this TV and why now? The 450/490 are listed as 600Hz, I guess maybe as a justification of price, or rather a justification of the price of TV's up market.

I've been doing research for a buddy who really wants 3D and likes this TV but I haven't seen one in person and without a listing on samsung's website there is a lot of conflicting figures.

Some sites say this TV is 720, some says it has 2 HDMI some 4 HDMI, Some have the pictures of a different TV.

I am under the impression that the 50D550C1 is 1080/60Hz/2 HDMI/ Uses the new Bluetooth glasses.

Please correct any of my assumptions and if anyone knows does the TV convert 2D to 3D, I have never been impressed with this feature but I didn't ask my buddy if he cared.

Yes it is 1080p/60hz/3d. It said right on my box 600hz, so they are still using that. I think it had 4 hdmi inputs and it does use the new 3d glasses. And yes it can also convert 2d to 3d. Not sure what the C1 is that you put behind the model number.

Outside the US? Just make sure your buddy doesn't have a lot of windows. Or any for that matter imo as the tv seems to have little to no anti reflective coating.
post #36 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Yes it is 1080p/60hz/3d. It said right on my box 600hz, so they are still using that. I think it had 4 hdmi inputs and it does use the new 3d glasses. And yes it can also convert 2d to 3d. Not sure what the C1 is that you put behind the model number.

Outside the US? Just make sure your buddy doesn't have a lot of windows. Or any for that matter imo as the tv seems to have little to no anti reflective coating.

The C1 may be a special Best Buy SKU?, I have read about fairly significant reflections. Thanks for the info. Looks like a good TV and I know he will be happy with it, he just needs some peace of mind about the industry buzz words.
post #37 of 1920 Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:

60 Hz x 10 subfields = 600 Hz; and, yes, it is listed that way for marketing.
All N. Amer. plasmas are 60 Hz, and many have 'subfield drive', making them, so-called '600 Hz'.
post #38 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 AM

I am receiving the 64d550 today. I have never owned a plasma before. I would love to have some suggestions for settings, break-in, etc. I am happy to report some testing here on the forum!

Thanks!
post #39 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:

The C1 may be a special Best Buy SKU?, I have read about fairly significant reflections. Thanks for the info. Looks like a good TV and I know he will be happy with it, he just needs some peace of mind about the industry buzz words.

the C1 is part of the model number... this is the whole model number
PN59D550C1FXZA ... if you look on the right side of the tv it will have this number and the serial number
post #40 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma View Post

I am receiving the 64d550 today. I have never owned a plasma before. I would love to have some suggestions for settings, break-in, etc.

Congrats! No break-in is necessary with modern televisions, just maybe don't watch a lot of black bars at first. Easy to do now that most sources are 16:9.
post #41 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks Dxjnorto,

Does anyone have some great set-up settings for movie viewing and advice on how to turn off any of the automatic functions that make the images fluctuate?

Thanks!
post #42 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM

if you read on plasma tv buying guide.com they have the d550 listed as no 3d.. i wonder why these places give reviews when they have know idea what they are talking about ? but last year when i bought my PN50B550 and went by there calibration settings for it, it turned out to have a great picture with there settings.. I don't know where they got the settings from, but they worked great ! and they were way differant then what it came with. i was like boy i hope this works becuase they turned some settings a long way.. i wish i could find some settings for the 59d550 like that.. just becuase it made such a differance on my 50B550

Samsung PN59D550 Review
59" Plasma TV
The D550 is a mid tier plasma from Samssung for 2011, it is the highest end non-3D model and has a 1080p plasma panel. Available in 3 sizes these TVs provide full HD resolution and plasma's superior picture at very affordable prices.

Picture and Viewing Feaures
In the past we've found the mid-tier Samsung plasmas to offer excellent picture quality at a good value. They don't feature all the bells and whistles of higher end models but you get a strong picture, which we still feel is the most important feature in a television
post #43 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That site has been considered unreliable by knowledgeable people on AVS for many years.
post #44 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm actually running break-in slides. I figure it can't hurt, so why not?

I would still love to see other folks' settings....

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #45 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime50 View Post

if you read on plasma tv buying guide.com they have the d550 listed as no 3d.. i wonder why these places give reviews when they have know idea what they are talking about ? but last year when i bought my PN50B550 and went by there calibration settings for it, it turned out to have a great picture with there settings.. I don't know where they got the settings from, but they worked great ! and they were way differant then what it came with. i was like boy i hope this works becuase they turned some settings a long way.. i wish i could find some settings for the 59d550 like that.. just becuase it made such a differance on my 50B550

Looks like they also claim the 6500 has a web browser.

Not sure if I'd trust much of what these guys have to say.
post #46 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM

None of the sites seems to have accurate descriptions....amazon has/had it as a 720p set.
post #47 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM

I've had a 59D550 for a week now. I'm really pleased with my choice - and am thankful for the AVS Forum for steering me to it.

Very black blacks. Awesome color. The screen is pretty glossy but I have good light control in my viewing room - but even with the lights on watching broadcast TV the picture is sufficiently bright that it's not an issue.

Until I can find better settings (or have it calibrated) I am temporarily using settings for the C590 series posted in another thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1243570&page=4 These made a big improvement over OOB settings - March Madness has never looked better!

If audio is off and I tilt my head at just the right angle I can detect a faint buzz but there's nothing detectable with any sound on (and it's a tenth of the noise of the color wheel from the Samsung DLP that it replaced).
post #48 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
I set my cell and contrast to maximum and left everything the way it was for running my slides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno312 View Post
Seems everyone used a higher contrast setting on the C550 line, all the settings i read people kept it between 80-100. This appears to be the same deal with the D550 line.
Thanks guys, went ahead and took your advice.
post #49 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I'm actually running break-in slides. I figure it can't hurt, so why not?

I would still love to see other folks' settings....

I'm running my slides currently too, once I get the 150 hours I will use my WOW BD and post my settings. Not pro stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe it will help someone.

Also, doesn't blindly copying someone's settings not always work favorably?
post #50 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza View Post
I'm running my slides currently too, once I get the 150 hours I will use my WOW BD and post my settings. Not pro stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe it will help someone.

It probably doesn't always work out favorably considering the different viewing environments, but at least it gives people a starting or reference point to start at.
post #51 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM

thanks...

also just wanted to say that, even with out calibrating this tv out of the box, the picture is stunning. Very happy with my purchase.

Tried playing some COD in 3d today, was pretty cool.
post #52 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

thanks...

also just wanted to say that, even with out calibrating this tv out of the box, the picture is stunning. Very happy with my purchase.

Tried playing some COD in 3d today, was pretty cool.

Dollar for dollar, the D550 line.......... one of the best bargains available. Only the hard core videophiles would be looking to upgrade; but of course there are none of those characters inhabiting these threads.
post #53 of 1920 Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post
Dollar for dollar, the D550 line.......... one of the best bargains available. Only the hard core videophiles would be looking to upgrade; but of course there are none of those characters inhabiting these threads.
Sadly it lacks an AR filter that really does anything.
post #54 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 AM

I just picked up the 51" D550 at Sears on Saturday and finally got a chance to hook everything up. So far I'm definitely impressed with the image quality of the tv. My other set also happens to be a Samsung plasma, a 5884 that has produced an absolutely breathtaking picture since I purchased it a few years ago. The 5884 was too big for the nook in the living room when I purchased my house, so it got relegated to bedroom duty. I ended up getting a sweet deal on a Sams Club auction for a Pioneer 5010 over a year ago, but the unit arrived with a cracked screen to my horror. The nook remained empty for over a year until last weekend.

A few negative impressions:

I love the looks of the tv, but I didn't like the way the screen mated to the base. I found it a pain to attach.

The screen is definitely more reflective than I had anticipated. I rarely watch tv during the day (if it's on it's for background noise), so the reflectivity is a non-factor for myself. If I were a daytime viewer, I'd get a 7 or 8000 series for the superior anti-reflective screen.

The streaming was meh. I much prefer using the PS3 for streaming duties. I use a wired cat6 connection throughout the house, but found the D550 to be a little slow with a somewhat clunky menu system. The PS3 is smoother all around for me, though I'm still playing around with the D550, since there is some content I just can't seem to get streaming properly with the PS3. I use TwonkyMedia Server.

Buzzing is inaudible at the seating positions in my living room. I had to get pretty close up, i.e, within one foot of the set to hear anything.

Everything else is all positive in my book. Sears included 2 pairs of 3D glasses free with the tv, so while I've never really been too intrigued with the whole 3D thing, I've got to admit the 3d demo games I downloaded from Sony PS Store looked awesome. Haven't seen any 3D movies yet, I can't really comment there. Speaking of 3D, the manufacturers and studios are ruining their own product with this 3D title exclusivity crap they are pulling. The lack of titles is also frustrating.

Can't wait until we get some reference picture settings posted!!!
post #55 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the WOW BD?

I agree completely, all of our TVs are different in different viewing environments, but seeing others' settings provides a baseline with which to begin your own tweaking.

I use DVE and have dialed in what I deem to be a pretty fantastic picture, but this is my first plasma. I figure hearing what others are doing can only help.

post #56 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 AM

Frankthetoad,

CAn you post your settings. My 64d550 is in it's box in my living room right now, waiting for my tv stand to arrive today. Here are the settings I found online, are your similar?

movie mode
cell light 17
contrast 93
brightness 50
sharpness 0
color 50
tint G46 / R54
black tone off
dynamic contrast off
gamma +2
color space native

offset
red 24
green 22
blue 17

gain
red 29
green 26
blue 23
post #57 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma View Post

Frankthetoad,

CAn you post your settings. My 64d550 is in it's box in my living room right now, waiting for my tv stand to arrive today. Here are the settings I found online, are your similar?

movie mode
cell light 17
contrast 93
brightness 50
sharpness 0
color 50
tint G46 / R54
black tone off
dynamic contrast off
gamma +2
color space native

offset
red 24
green 22
blue 17

gain
red 29
green 26
blue 23

My settings are nearly identical to these...except I can't remember what my offset and gain is set to. I also have color space on auto....not sure what that would affect.

I've set the temp to Warm 1. I'm probably going to be lowering Cell to 15 or 16 and then re-tweaking from there. I'll be messing around with it tonight and will report back.

post #58 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanks Frank! I will try tonight as well!
post #59 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

What's the WOW BD?

I agree completely, all of our TVs are different in different viewing environments, but seeing others' settings provides a baseline with which to begin your own tweaking.

I use DVE and have dialed in what I deem to be a pretty fantastic picture, but this is my first plasma. I figure hearing what others are doing can only help.

correct me if im wrong but WOW is a calibrating bluray disc like DVE, AVIA, Spears and Munsil...
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/09/22/di...ices-alike-at/
post #60 of 1920 Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

correct me if im wrong but WOW is a calibrating bluray disc like DVE, AVIA, Spears and Munsil...
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/09/22/di...ices-alike-at/

Yeah that's what I was talking about. It also comes with a ton of clips from disney movies. Nice to show off your setup. ;-)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page