Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have the D530 model? The same one as this tv without the 3d? I can't seem to find much about it or reviews from anyone. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGENDARY T0AD View Post

What I mean by glowing black, is that when a movie or TV show come to a almost totally dark scene the blacks seem to glow making them dark gray it's only noticeable in very dark or completely dark scenes.

Floating black?
Yah, I noticed it yesterday when I played Dragon Age II. It's not really a black level but a simple APL change.
The APL (average picture level of the input) change activates ABL (automatic brightness limiter) which makes the bright shades less bright and sometimes dark grays more bright.
The MLL doesn't really change during this process but sometimes dark grays become brighter and more often it's only changes the bright shades but it makes you feel that MLL rose because that's how human vision works (your eye has a kind of ABL too).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Floating black?
Yah, I noticed it yesterday when I played Dragon Age II. It's not really a black level but a simple APL change.
The APL (average picture level of the input) change activates ABL (automatic brightness limiter) which makes the bright shades less bright and sometimes dark grays more bright.
The MLL doesn't really change during this process but sometimes dark grays become brighter and more often it's only changes the bright shades but it makes you feel that MLL rose because that's how human vision works (your eye has a kind of ABL too).

janos, are you playing in game mode?

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I sent you a PM eXgo.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbigvolume View Post

I sent you a PM eXgo.

i replied

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743

stick with this thread buds.. for calibration of 10pt options.

this is the new unlock d550 10pt advanced options thread with advanced calibration settings.

I am also working on firmware too. but I have to hex it up when they release it.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got the 51" a few days ago and I am so far loving it. I did notice the jumps in lower values during some scenes from some content. I haven't noticed it with a bluray but standard defs DVDs and some Netflix streams and stuff streamed off my network from my computer via Windows Media Player.

I also noticed that my blacks glow in a very dark room. If there is an image I don't notice it, but titles and credits it really shows.

Is there something up with my unit? Does anyone think that this can be tweaked or should I just accept that this is the one flaw I have found with my otherwise awesome display.

I'm new here by the way. Thanks for having me.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylorist View Post

I got the 51" a few days ago and I am so far loving it. I did notice the jumps in lower values during some scenes from some content. I haven't noticed it with a bluray but standard defs DVDs and some Netflix streams and stuff streamed off my network from my computer via Windows Media Player.

I also noticed that my blacks glow in a very dark room. If there is an image I don't notice it, but titles and credits it really shows.

Is there something up with my unit? Does anyone think that this can be tweaked or should I just accept that this is the one flaw I have found with my otherwise awesome display.

I'm new here by the way. Thanks for having me.

Welcome to AVS.

Yes some folks say they have glowy blacks.. and brightness flux too.

I however do not.

I suggest you read this thread front to back.

then read the brightness pops thread too.

and the advanced calibration thread.. if you are interested in unlocking the advanced calibration features that were once thought only available to the high end sets.

Also some believe... that the 51" ers have lower blacks than the 59-64 inch counterparts..

i am skeptical to this conclusion.

With my set.. using the unlocked calibration settings for the d7000 set.

10 point calibration..

i have extremely saturated color accuracy and wicken PQ. Black Blacks.. and perfect uniformity.

No brightness fluctuations to speak of.

Make sure you have the eco stuff turned completely off. and read thru the threads i mentioned. i am here to answer any questions regarding advanced calibration options if you so choose to enter down that path.

enjoi avs.

-dex

Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

it's probably matrixed to 5.1 though the hardware of the receiver.

it only passes 2.1

I've re-run cables and done quite a bit of testing this morning, and my D550 is passing Dolby Digital 5.1 through its optical output from an HDMI-connected cable DVR. The AVR's display identifies the signal as such, and the active speaker indicators are appropriately lit up for a DD 5.1 signal; in addition, the DD logo is also on. I know this contracdicts what the manual states, but it's what I'm seeing and hearing (all the channels are active---I'm watching "Terminator Salvation" right now).
Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I've re-run cables and done quite a bit of testing this morning, and my D550 is passing Dolby Digital 5.1 through its optical output from an HDMI-connected cable DVR. The AVR's display identifies the signal as such, and the active speaker indicators are appropriately lit up for a DD 5.1 signal; in addition, the DD logo is also on. I know this contracdicts what the manual states, but it's what I'm seeing and hearing (all the channels are active---I'm watching "Terminator Salvation" right now).

Hmm, that is odd. When I go to [Menu > Sound >SPDIF Output> Audio Format], Dolby Digital is grayed out and I cannot select it. Only PCM is available.

No offense, but I can't help being a bit skeptical. Do you see anything like Pro Logic on your AVR? Most receivers will as eXgo said will matrix the 2.0 signal a 5.1 mix but it is not true Dolby Digital 5.1.

I hope I'm wrong and that maybe you have a different firmware that allows true 5.1 pass through.

Could you do me a favor and look under [Menu > Support >Software Upgrade] and see what it says for Current Version. Mine says 2011/03/22_001011 (Purchased in US)

See this post for my correction on the Dolby Digital Pass Through.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahozafat View Post

Hmm, that is odd. When I go to [Menu > Sound >SPDIF Output> Audio Format], Dolby Digital is grayed out and I cannot select it. Only PCM is available.

No offense, but I can't help being a bit skeptical. Do you see anything like Pro Logic on your AVR? Most receivers will as eXgo said will matrix the 2.0 signal a 5.1 mix but it is not true Dolby Digital 5.1.

I hope I'm wrong and that maybe you have a different firmware that allows true 5.1 pass through.

Could you do me a favor and look under [Menu > Support >Software Upgrade] and see what it says for Current Version. Mine says 2011/03/22_001011

that's interesting

My firmware is 2011/02/11_001007

thanks jahozafat, i added the the firmware idea to the instruction post in my thread. I thought it would be good for posterity between users settings / calibrations.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

that's interesting

My firmware is 2011/02/11_001007

thanks jahozafat, i added the the firmware idea to the instruction post in my thread. I thought it would be good for posterity between users settings / calibrations.

Yeah, no problem. It' also might be a good idea to put country purchased as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I checked everything you listed and here are my findings: SPDIF Output/Audio Format is set to Dolby Digital: the AVR shows the logo for Dolby Digital; the firmware version is 2011/04/19_001013. I've only had the TV for a week, and I bought it at the local Brandsmart.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I checked everything you listed and here are my findings: SPDIF Output/Audio Format is set to Dolby Digital: the AVR shows the logo for Dolby Digital; the firmware version is 2011/04/19_001013. I've only had the TV for a week, and I bought it at the local Brandsmart.

mine is def 2.0 matrixed to my avr.

they may have fixed it with the newer fw.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for posting that, Rudy1. Cool. It looks like they must have added this in newer firmwares. Here's hoping they start offering firmware updates in the US. See this post for my correction on the Dolby Digital Pass Through.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 PM

i have been researching this tvs for the last two days. I have narrowed my choice to this model. 64 inch, however it states that the tv onlty has a 200,000 to 1 contrast ratio is that true/ Thanks for any response.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd7723 View Post

i have been researching this tvs for the last two days. I have narrowed my choice to this model. 64 inch, however it states that the tv onlty has a 200,000 to 1 contrast ratio is that true/ Thanks for any response.

actually that is the dynamic CR. lol

CR's on sets nowadays are pretty much useless.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Oops, I was wrong. I have tested this more thoroughly now. My PN51D550 does pass through Dolby Digital but not DTS. It was only grayed out because my sources were not passing Dolby Digital through HDMI.

My Sources:
PS3: I had to enable DD HDMI pass through in the settings. Then I could select Dolby Digital in the TV's Audio Settings.

DirecTV HR20-700
I haven't figured this one out yet. I'm hoping there is an option for this.

None of this is really a problem for me since my AVR has 6 Toslink Optical inputs. I just like things to work the way they should.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 PM

The specs for the PN51D550 on Samsung's website state only 2-HDMIs.
Does the 550 have 2 or 4 HDMIs?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 PM

I've just set up a PN51D550 that looks great so far. My only issue with the TV is that I have had absolutely no luck getting either pair of included (promotional) SSG-3100GB glasses to pair with the TV. Here's the process I've followed:

1) Turn the TV on to an active input (tried both 3D (Bluray) and non-3D sources).
2) With the positive terminal of the battery facing the swinging portion of the battery compartment I've inserted the battery and closed the cover.
3) Pressed and held the power button on the glasses for about 2-3 seconds until the LED starts alternating between red and green.
4) Waited.

My understanding is that by the time the LEDs go out at step 4 after 5-10 seconds the TV is meant to display a message saying something about pairing being complete. This has never happened.

Can anyone point me at anything I might be doing wrong?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Try unplugging the tv then plug it back in that worked for me. I had the same problem v
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm still debating whether or not to get this TV, the brightness pops are holding me back. I read in this thread that they don't occur while watching movies using Cinema Smooth (24p mode), is that true? I also read that turning Dynamic Contrast to Low fixes or greatly reduces the pops.

I play a lot of video games and watch TV of course, do the brightness pops occur during those?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM

For me, no pops when Cinema Smooth is on and DC to LOW pretty much eliminates them. I don't even notice it anymore.

The 64 is a great value and has a great picture.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM

re: Pairing glasses not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwn281 View Post

Try unplugging the tv then plug it back in that worked for me. I had the same problem v

Haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will tonight.

So you're suggesting simply unplug the TV, plug it back in, then with the TV on with any source/input selected simply hold the power button on the glasses while they're near the front-center of the TV and I should, hopefully, get a message on screen saying pairing's complete?

I'm just surprised that I don't have to start a discovery mode or anything on the TV when I'm trying to pair, my experience has been that for Bluetooth pairing to work with other devices I've always had to set some sort of discovery mode on one device then start pairing on the other device. It's great if I don't have to on this TV, just a little unusual in my experience.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

The specs for the PN51D550 on Samsung's website state only 2-HDMIs.
Does the 550 have 2 or 4 HDMIs?

It has 4 HDMI inputs.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM

I didn't have to start any discovery mode on mine. And when I switched from 51 to 64 they let me keep the original glasses and gave me 2 more. All I had to do was press and hold that button down one the glasses. When it didn't work for 1 pair I unplugged the tv plugged it back in tried again and it worked. But I had to redo all the glasses.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 59D550 with a few brightness pops and here is my thing:

1. I don't want a LED/LCD because of clouding or flashlight effects especially because I am in a light controlled room.

2. Upgrading to the higher model (6500, 7000, 8000) would not get rid of the pops. Not too mention I have unlocked the 10 point on mine.

3. I don't like Panasonic for TVs ( its a brand perception thing almost like buying a dodge or chevy automobile...yuck)

4. My picture quality is awesome and I have great blacks with this set.

5. 70% of my viewing is Blu Ray and I have Cinema Smooth on which prevents the pops (this is the case for me. I know exactly what they look like and they only happen while watching cable)

I will hope for a firmware update, but if not I got a wonderful price for a wonderful Plasma.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks exgo for the reply.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melraidin View Post

re: Pairing glasses not working

Haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will tonight.

So you're suggesting simply unplug the TV, plug it back in, then with the TV on with any source/input selected simply hold the power button on the glasses while they're near the front-center of the TV and I should, hopefully, get a message on screen saying pairing's complete?

I'm just surprised that I don't have to start a discovery mode or anything on the TV when I'm trying to pair, my experience has been that for Bluetooth pairing to work with other devices I've always had to set some sort of discovery mode on one device then start pairing on the other device. It's great if I don't have to on this TV, just a little unusual in my experience.

And.... that was the solution. Would absolutely love to know why the glasses wouldn't pair after plugging the TV in the first time but tonight I:

1) Unplugged the TV.
2) Waited a minute.
3) Plugged the TV in.
4) Turned the TV on, waited for my source to appear.
5) Held the power button on the glasses until the LEDs stopped blinking.

Two pairs of glasses both paired fine.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Hi all.

Just picked up the 51" D550 and am running the slideshow burn in right now. I want to get a whack of hours in ASAP as my old tv died and I'm just using my pc monitor to watch shows.

Think it's ok to run the tv 24 hours a day for the next 6-7 days while the slides are running?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melraidin View Post

And.... that was the solution. Would absolutely love to know why the glasses wouldn't pair after plugging the TV in the first time but tonight I:

1) Unplugged the TV.
2) Waited a minute.
3) Plugged the TV in.
4) Turned the TV on, waited for my source to appear.
5) Held the power button on the glasses until the LEDs stopped blinking.

Two pairs of glasses both paired fine.

Thanks!

No prob. Glad it worked out 4 you. I know how upset I was when I didn't know at first.

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv