Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 1920 Old 07-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you will have to do it independantly...which is a big pain....and keep in mind if you start unplugging and switching around hdmi sources to the tv your settings will need to be reapplied...

what did you use for your idle port?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1920 Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBZ View Post

I picked up this TV yesterday.

I love the picture quality but I am experiencing some strange problems with the HDMI ports when powering on the TV.

I have 4 HDMI devices.

Port 1: Apple TV 2
Port 2: Telus Optik TV PVR (CIS430)
Port 3: Xbox 360
Port 4: PS3

When I power on the TV about 50% of the time to to watch input 2 (TV) it says No Signal
Check connected device's power, cable connection, and source selection.

I know that the PVR is problem free I had it connected to my older Toshiba yesterday for 9 months with no problems.

Does anyone know what could be causing this to occur?

I've already swapped out cables multiple times. I've also tried moving the TV to ports 1, 3, 4 with no luck it still occurs frequently.

Should I be calling Samsung / Bestbuy to have them come take a look?

I am having the exact same problem! I just bought a Samsung 51" 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (PN51D550) from Bestbuy a couple weeks ago. Did you ever find a solution?! I'm getting really tired of having to unplug and replug both my Telus box and my Apple TV box in order to watch TV. The new TV was supposed to make watching more fun, not more frustrating. I also can't get my TV's sound to play through my amplifier, even though it is all hooked up in the right places with optical cables. Starting to wonder if I should spend the $200 to get a Bestbuy clone to come to my house to improve the setup.
post #843 of 1920 Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisybabe73 View Post

I am having the exact same problem! I just bought a Samsung 51" 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (PN51D550) from Bestbuy a couple weeks ago. Did you ever find a solution?! I'm getting really tired of having to unplug and replug both my Telus box and my Apple TV box in order to watch TV. The new TV was supposed to make watching more fun, not more frustrating. I also can't get my TV's sound to play through my amplifier, even though it is all hooked up in the right places with optical cables. Starting to wonder if I should spend the $200 to get a Bestbuy clone to come to my house to improve the setup.

I didn't have quite the same problem but I did have issues where my MythTV machine's signal via HDMI wouldn't get to the TV if I had turned off my receiver. I'd have to restart the MythTV machine to get the signal back. I solved this one by turning off Anynet+ (some functionality on the TV to control other devices via HDMI).

I also had a problem where my PS3 would rapidly lose and regain signal sometimes. This came down to, I believe, turning on the TV and having the receiver set to the PS3's input before turning on the PS3. Not positive that's the order that works for me, don't use the PS3 much, but it definitely seemed resolved by changing the order that I switch components on. PITA, but it worked and I doubt a hired tech could do much better without replacing components.
post #844 of 1920 Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
JD

post #845 of 1920 Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just purchased the PN51D550, so far so good! Looks awesome with 1.78 blu ray movies! 3D is fantastic and very nice color.

For now I leave settings on standard with low cell light settings for regular watching, then I set it to dynamic for watching a 1.78 movie. The colors are outstanding.

-D
post #846 of 1920 Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Is there any way to get rid of burn in? I have been playing NCAA 12 for the last few days and have noticed some burn in ,I ran the scrolling feature for 5 hours and it didn't take it out.I broke in my PN51D550 using the slides disk i got from this forum for the first 100 hours. The tv has about 600 hours use. Thanks for any help.
post #847 of 1920 Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Here are my settings after a good deal of tweaking. I used the settings from the above post and then dialed everything in with DVE.

Picture Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 17
Contrast: 81
Brightness: 64
Sharpness: 0
Color: 52
Tint: G49/R51
Advanced Settings:
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: +1
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: RO-25, GO-23, BO-24, RG-18, GG-24, BG-25
Flesh Tone: 0
EE: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 2
DNR: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off

I've got about 30 hours of burn-in slides under my belt...going for 100, then I'll recalibrate. Loving the picture!

I'll check that out as a start point. I noticed I needed to turn the contrast right down to see any differences in blacks though.

Also, the image was shifting brightness levels during scenes.. as subtle as that was I turned eco and dynamic contrast off. Haven't seen any shifts since.

-D
post #848 of 1920 Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked View Post

I did some very unscientific lag tests using the Rock Band 3 calibrator, here's the numbers compared to my old Samsung DLP:

Audio Calibration
Old DLP: 48ms
D550: 2ms
D550 Game Mode: 9ms

Video Calibration
Old DLP: 91ms
D550: 24ms
D550 Game Mode: 43ms

I tested the plasma both in my normal settings, and in game mode, and surprisingly game mode seemed to have slightly more lag.

ha that's actually pretty helpful as I play alot of rock band myself. thanks.
post #849 of 1920 Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Rock band isn't meant to give a correct amount of input lag. The lag comes from the gamer itself. Not the display. One to many people seem to have that method confused.
post #850 of 1920 Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

I'll check that out as a start point. I noticed I needed to turn the contrast right down to see any differences in blacks though.

Also, the image was shifting brightness levels during scenes.. as subtle as that was I turned eco and dynamic contrast off. Haven't seen any shifts since.

-D

They served me well. I did end up changing the panel name in the SM and getting an iDisplayOne and used some software found on AVS to truly calibrate it. The end result is amazing...but I have to sit my laptop on my center channel to act as a dummy HDMI device. I also lost the functionality of the touch sensitive buttons on the panel (don't know if this happens to everyone).

The tweak was worth it to me, but it took a lot of time to dial it in just so.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #851 of 1920 Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 AM

I don't need 3D or the extra ports, so I'm awfully tempted by the 51" D530. I'm a little confused on feature differences, tho.

The official "Samsung 2011 models" thread in AVS indicates that the D530 does not offer CinemaSmooth, but Samsung's PR materials seem to suggest that it does. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Are there any other differences between the D550 and D530 aside from 3D and ports? E.g., can the advanced calibration be unlocked on the 530 just as on the 550?

Thanks.
post #852 of 1920 Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Hey frankthetoad....yeah I also lost the touch screen buttons after the hack.

I am kinda new to this, but can someone tell me if it makes sense to upgrade my hdmi cables from 1.3 to 1.4 for my Comcast HD box or my Xbox...

Those are my only 2 HDMI sources....I know that 3d gets enhanced with 1.4, but as Comcast does not transmit in 1080p any of its channels, would upgrading the cable be a waste of money?

Thanks.
post #853 of 1920 Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Hey if you lose the touch screen button after the hack can you just reset the hack to able it again or is that gone for good??
post #854 of 1920 Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 PM

I am pretty sure u can get those features back by switching back to 550 in the service menu. I am not gonna try it though since it takes a while to calibrate
post #855 of 1920 Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to make the menu more transparent? Also the auto shut off notice leaves a bit of a IR after being there for a minute - is there a way to make that more transparent too?
post #856 of 1920 Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM

I just updated to the 16 July 2011 FW available on the Australian Samsung website.

Anyone know what is upgraded or improved with this FW?

All went well and my settings were still intact after the update.

Cheers,
Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #857 of 1920 Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Hi again,

Is it possible to find the amount of hours a set has within the menu somewhere, maybe the service menu?

Cheers,
Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #858 of 1920 Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBZ View Post

I picked up this TV yesterday.

I love the picture quality but I am experiencing some strange problems with the HDMI ports when powering on the TV.

When I power on the TV about 50% of the time to to watch input 2 (TV) it says No Signal
Check connected device's power, cable connection, and source selection.

Should I be calling Samsung / Bestbuy to have them come take a look?

I have 2 HDMI devices.

HDMI 1(DVI) -AT&T U-Verse
HDMI 2 - Xbox 360

Did we ever figure why this message displays
"no signal check connected device's power, connection and source selection"

I have to disconnect the AT&T HDMI, and reconnect to get a picture.

BEST BUY had two different suggestions.

1) try a new HD 3D HDMI, which I was using, and have swapped and tried another. I still get this error message

2) Another Best Buy person said that there is a problem with AT&T U-Verse communicating with the Samsung TV

Is this a Samsung issue or an AT&T problem?
post #859 of 1920 Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Hey guys,
I have read EVERY page.... so my head is a bit frazzled.... And excuse me if this has been answered already....

I purchased one of these tv's the other day.
They had none in stock so i am currently waiting until they have some in but i have paid for it already... - Only problem is that a couple of days later i saw the D550 and the D6900 side by side with identical source pictures...... the blacks were so much better on the D6900... and it only costs $200 more..

The question is... With the 10 point calibration is the tv going to look as good as the D6900 or will it still look washed out as it did instore...

Should i cancel the order and swap it for the d6900?

I dont care about the apps/facebook etc as i have a computer for that.....

Any ideas??
post #860 of 1920 Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipitz View Post

Can you play 3d films on this tv through usb flash or hard drive ?

I played a Matroska Media 3D demo File from a USB drive and it worked fine in 3D.
post #861 of 1920 Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 AM

how reflective is this tv? i have the 7000 and it is not to bad. does the real black filter make that much of a difference?
post #862 of 1920 Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post

how reflective is this tv? i have the 7000 and it is not to bad. does the real black filter make that much of a difference?

It is extremely reflective.
post #863 of 1920 Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

It is extremely reflective.

thank you!
post #864 of 1920 Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 PM

I guess it really depends on when you watch most of your TV and what your environment is like. For me my room accomodates the PN64D550 nicely as there aren't many reflections, but honestly, my movie and TV viewing is at night for the most part. It is one sexy TV at night combined with a Pioneer Elite 05-FD in 1080p/24hz in "Movie" mode and Cinema Smooth turned on. I'm sure the Monster Ultra-1000HD HDMI cable is what makes that happen right.

Jason
post #865 of 1920 Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony70 View Post

I have 2 HDMI devices.

HDMI 1(DVI) -AT&T U-Verse
HDMI 2 - Xbox 360

Did we ever figure why this message displays
"no signal check connected device's power, connection and source selection"

I have to disconnect the AT&T HDMI, and reconnect to get a picture.

BEST BUY had two different suggestions.

1) try a new HD 3D HDMI, which I was using, and have swapped and tried another. I still get this error message

2) Another Best Buy person said that there is a problem with AT&T U-Verse communicating with the Samsung TV

Is this a Samsung issue or an AT&T problem?

No resolution for this situation?

Also, 1080p has been available for a while now, does ANYONE receive a signal in 1080p? AT&T U-Verse broadcasts in 1080i

Noticeable difference?
post #866 of 1920 Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have the pn51d550 and i have a ton of MKV 720p and 1080p movies that are skipping audio/picture so much. I am using a 1TB Lacie USB harddrive directly to the tv. Hopefully someone can point me the right direction cause i really want to watch alot of these 3d Mkv files .
post #867 of 1920 Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 AM

Hi,

First of all I'd just like to thank everyone who's already posted in this thread, as everything here really helped me in making the decision to purchase this TV.

Right, down to business...

I bought this TV on Sunday from Comets, complete with the 2 free glasses and Megamind 3D (which was much better than I expected, BTW). Very happy with it so far for the most part, but I am having some problems.
  1. Buzzing - not that big a deal. Can only really hear it at quiet times, or real late at night when I have to have the sound on low so my GF can get to sleep. All in all, expected and manageable.
  2. Optical Output - Totally bummed that it will only pass 2.0 through instead of the full 5.1 when using a HDMI source. I had to dig out my old manual Optical Switcher and need to get another optical cable for the Xbox. Annoying, but manageable.
  3. Calibrating - AAAAAAARGH!!! No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get it "right". Everything is so dark! I have all the bells and whistles turned off, and have played with every conceivable user option, and no matter what I just can't seem to get white to look white. It seems that the whitest setting is "Light Grey". It also throws all the other colours off.

I've been running the colour slides for breaking in for the last few days whenever the TV isn't being used (my electricity bill is gonna be huge!) via the slideshow function on my PS3 as it's the only way I can do it full screen. I tried using the slideshow function built into the TV, but I noticed that about 4 rows of pixels at both the top and bottom of the screen (so 8 rows in total) weren't lighting up, and also despite showing clearly varying shades of each colour in the picture selection menu, all slides barring the last one of each colour displayed identical. This means that every 20-30 secs it would show identical reds and then one darker red, 4 identical greens then one darker green, etc. On the PS3 it's showing them all properly, so I've resorted to letting the PS3 do the grunt work (not happy about leaving it on for that long, but it's not like it's spinning a disk constantly so I'm making do).

I have been using a combination of settings posted in this thread and my DVE calibration HD-DVD/DVD combo disk. I don't have any professional equipment. I haven't had to calibrate much before either, so I'm a complete novice.

Is there anything anyone could recommend to help me get my whites white (without resorting to quips about popular washing powders) and thus put me back on track for creating a decent picture.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall o' text, lol.
post #868 of 1920 Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Has anyone had a chance to try Samsung USB wireless adapter (WIS09ABGN) with this tv?

I would like to be able to stream 1080p MKV videos and 3d from my pc.

I am not sure if it makes sense to dish out 50 bucks for this, or invest in something like apple tv.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATE - I just tried it...TV does not recognize the device, yet it reads external USB hard drives without any problems....hmmm
post #869 of 1920 Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM

I too find that i cant make the whites look white i dont know if its cuz its a plasma or if its just that i need to play with the settings plz any help thanx
post #870 of 1920 Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM

I found last night that after 2 days of running the slides, I can turn down some settngs (Cell, Brightness, etc) and after a bit of tweaking have a similar picture to when I had them up high.

Hopefully, when I try recalibrating on Saturday after a couple more days of breaking in, I may get a better picture.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page