Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 1920 Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I don't want to make a new thread so I post it in here hopefully to get some help.

I got the pn59d550 about a month ago. I was initially looking for LED but after lot of research, I decide to go plasma since the picture quality / price ratio. I also read the problem of image retention is the pass.

I didn't do the breaking in, just using my TV with my HD Over the air antenna for a couple of hours and then switch to PC (HDMI) mode.

I was using it for a couple of hours. The next day, I found out that image retention is there. "Youtube" logo was visible, also a dark bar on top (lot of website use this design). I was stupid to use the dynamic preset. I cranked up the settings so much.

I did not panic, I reassure myself that a couple of intense TV, BD use will erase those marks.

Well, the logo went away after a couple of hours or a day (not visible anymore). However the bar is still there.

It's now over 2 weeks since and I use TV for 4-5 hours a day. I ran the build in gray slide, break in slides (simple color pictures) etc.. The bar is getting lighter but still visible. The problem is once you see those marks, you see them whenever the TV is on.

The bar is only visible with a white or bright background. On colored scene, it's not visible at all.

Now I am a little worry that it will stay there forever I love this TV. I owned LCD before and they're not nearly comparable in term of picture quality.

What can I do to get rid of it ? Should I call Samsung support for help or try to get any warranty out of it ?

Please help

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1920 Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM

I've noticed that I have a few semi-stuck pixels.

It seems that they're fine when white or black, but some won't turn a certain colour. A couple may be fine with red and green, but turn black instead of blue. Another couple may be fine with blue and green, but stay black when they should be red, etc.

Is this something that will unstick itself in time, or should I seek out some kind of fix?

There's literally 5 or 6 in total and they're all spread out around different edges of the TV no further half a centimetre from the bezel.

You need a solid screen of a single colour and be looking REALLY hard to even see them. I've been running some colour slides, and that's the only way I noticed them.

It's not serious by any stretch of the imagination. Not even annoying really, but it is something I've noticed so thought I'd ask.

If there's a chance it could get worse then I'd consider swapping it out, but it's really not worth the arse-ache as it stands.
post #873 of 1920 Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Hi folks - I hate to quote myself, but I still haven't found an answer to this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suibhne View Post

I don't need 3D or the extra ports, so I'm awfully tempted by the 51" D530. I'm a little confused on feature differences, tho.

The official "Samsung 2011 models" thread in AVS indicates that the D530 does not offer CinemaSmooth, but Samsung's PR materials seem to suggest that it does. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Are there any other differences between the D550 and D530 aside from 3D and ports? E.g., can the advanced calibration be unlocked on the 530 just as on the 550?

I notice that Samsung's website for the D530 does not list Cinema Smooth as a feature, while it clearly does for the D550. The D530 manual also does not mention Cinema Smooth. However, Samsung's spec sheet for the D530 does list Cinema Smooth as a supported feature. Which is correct?

Can anyone with a D530 confirm whether or not it supports the same 4:4 pulldown as the D550 (which Samsung calls Cinema Smooth)?

(Of course, Amazon and some other retailers also advertise the D530 as sporting Cinema Smooth, but that's not meaningful....)
post #874 of 1920 Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 AM

Here are some picture settings I found on Television Info website,

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-PN51D550-3D-Plasma-HDTV-Review/Calibration.htm

Calibration

Once you put the Samsung PN51D550 in Movie mode, most of the work is done for you. The bulk of the special features are disabled. You'll only need to make the changes detailed in the table below.

Calibration Settings
Setting Default Calibrated
Cell Light 16 16
Contrast 95 95
Brightness 55 56
Color 50 50
Sharpness 20 0
Black Tone Off Off
Dynamic Contrast Off Off
Gamma 0 0
Flesh Tone 0 0
Edge Enhancement Off Off
Motion Lighting Off Off
Color Tone Warm2 Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Auto Off
MPEG Noise Filter Auto Off
post #875 of 1920 Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeylord View Post

I've noticed that I have a few semi-stuck pixels.

It seems that they're fine when white or black, but some won't turn a certain colour. A couple may be fine with red and green, but turn black instead of blue. Another couple may be fine with blue and green, but stay black when they should be red, etc.

Is this something that will unstick itself in time, or should I seek out some kind of fix?

There's literally 5 or 6 in total and they're all spread out around different edges of the TV no further half a centimetre from the bezel.

You need a solid screen of a single colour and be looking REALLY hard to even see them. I've been running some colour slides, and that's the only way I noticed them.

It's not serious by any stretch of the imagination. Not even annoying really, but it is something I've noticed so thought I'd ask.

If there's a chance it could get worse then I'd consider swapping it out, but it's really not worth the arse-ache as it stands.

Exchange it.
post #876 of 1920 Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

Exchange it.

Does that mean it could get worse?
post #877 of 1920 Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just one quick question:

Would this be a big upgrade over my 46-PZ85U from a couple years back, specifically with regards to black levels detail in dark scenes?

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #878 of 1920 Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM

I really need your help guys right now. I went into service menu and made a mistake by going to AV calibration, I failed it and now my colors are awful. I tried 8x8 checkboard, NTSC color bars nothing helps through PS3 on AV cable. So please, can someone give me this information. In the service menu go to ADC/WB, then into ADC and take photo off all settings. Then in ADC Result and photo of all option, and last White balance and also photo off all options. Please guys, I really need you help.
post #879 of 1920 Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeylord View Post

Does that mean it could get worse?

It probably won't get worse, but you have a defective tv.
post #880 of 1920 Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Hi AVS, I bought a used pn50c550 from craigslist that is about 10 months old. the PO purchased it from brandsmart with a 5 year extended warranty that brandsmart offers. I have the purchase receipt with the PO's personal information and with warranty details on it. PO advised me to just pretend like I am him in the event of warranty work.

anyways, I have a buzzer and it is really getting on my nerves sometimes (skull). its loud, i can hear from 15ft away. It becomes forgotten past volume 2x. but that isnt always convenient, it is a bedroom TV, I need to be courteous to my neighboring rooms.

This TV also has issues with banding, 2 faint dark bars running horizontally across the TV, few inches wide each.

I have called brandsmart and they have told me the TV is still under samsung warranty for another 2 months. till then brandsmart will not do anything and advised me to contact samsung.

How generous is samsung?... Should I even bother with them?... or wait for the 2 months and call brandsmart?

If I went with samsung, get denied. will brandsmart use samsung's denial reason for themselves and deny me again?

Is there any way I can get myself into a D550? and perhaps pay the price difference?... from most of the posts I have read, D550 doesnt suffer from these 2 problems... and most C550's even after replacement, do.

Thank you .

Joe
post #881 of 1920 Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

Just one quick question:

Would this be a big upgrade over my 46-PZ85U from a couple years back, specifically with regards to black levels detail in dark scenes?

I don't know anything about the PZ85U to compare, But I will say the blacks are very poor on the D550.
post #882 of 1920 Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe87865 View Post

Hi AVS, I bought a used pn50c550 from craigslist that is about 10 months old. the PO purchased it from brandsmart with a 5 year extended warranty that brandsmart offers. I have the purchase receipt with the PO's personal information and with warranty details on it. PO advised me to just pretend like I am him in the event of warranty work.

anyways, I have a buzzer and it is really getting on my nerves sometimes (skull). its loud, i can hear from 15ft away. It becomes forgotten past volume 2x. but that isnt always convenient, it is a bedroom TV, I need to be courteous to my neighboring rooms.

This TV also has issues with banding, 2 faint dark bars running horizontally across the TV, few inches wide each.

I have called brandsmart and they have told me the TV is still under samsung warranty for another 2 months. till then brandsmart will not do anything and advised me to contact samsung.

How generous is samsung?... Should I even bother with them?... or wait for the 2 months and call brandsmart?

If I went with samsung, get denied. will brandsmart use samsung's denial reason for themselves and deny me again?

Is there any way I can get myself into a D550? and perhaps pay the price difference?... from most of the posts I have read, D550 doesnt suffer from these 2 problems... and most C550's even after replacement, do.

Thank you .

Joe

I used to have a C550 with banding. Samsung replaced it with a D550.

I had the Best Buy extended warranty and got most of my money back from BB after I got the D550.
post #883 of 1920 Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

I used to have a C550 with banding. Samsung replaced it with a D550.

I had the Best Buy extended warranty and got most of my money back from BB after I got the D550.

that is comforting to know, did you do this after the 1 year manufacture warranty?.. and dealt only with best buy?

how are you liking you d550 over the c550?
post #884 of 1920 Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM

hello all. i'm having trouble playing certain mkv files through usb on my 51d550. some play fine, others i get the unsupported format message. anyone know what's going on??
post #885 of 1920 Old 08-25-2011, 04:38 PM

How much space do I need from the wall to my TV? Samsung parts does not have a wall mount for this television. Not sure which wall mount to get for this television and how many inches the television needs to be from the wall?
post #886 of 1920 Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipitz View Post

I really need your help guys right now. I went into service menu and made a mistake by going to AV calibration, I failed it and now my colors are awful. I tried 8x8 checkboard, NTSC color bars nothing helps through PS3 on AV cable. So please, can someone give me this information. In the service menu go to ADC/WB, then into ADC and take photo off all settings. Then in ADC Result and photo of all option, and last White balance and also photo off all options. Please guys, I really need you help.

Can someone please help me? I just need 4 photos when you watch AV channels.
post #887 of 1920 Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM

I would do this for you, but I'd like an assurance that when I go in to those places I won't also "accidently" do what you did.
I presume this AV Calibration doesn't just start automatically when you enter that submenu?

Just that you're not the only one to have had this happen, and I don't want to be the next...
post #888 of 1920 Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 PM

I just bought this samsung pn51d550 on wenesday i now am hearing a loud buzzing noise coming from the back is this normal for a samsung plasma when the volume is low it is noticable but when the volume is high you cant notice it that much only during quiet scenes in a movie should i take it back and get it replaced or just live with the buzzing
post #889 of 1920 Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post

I would do this for you, but I'd like an assurance that when I go in to those places I won't also "accidently" do what you did.
I presume this AV Calibration doesn't just start automatically when you enter that submenu?

Just that you're not the only one to have had this happen, and I don't want to be the next...

No it won't start automatically, I was just messing up with settings and this how it ended... I am now not at home, so at the next few hours I'l tell where not to go. And also if it is not hard take the same settings when watching something through HDMI.
post #890 of 1920 Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post

Go to ADC/WB , after that you'l have 4 things to choose : ADC , ADC Target, ADC Result, White balance. Don't go to ADC, there are no settings. Please take photos of ADC Target, ADC Result, White balance, in AV mode, in HDMI mode and in standart channel viewing mode, thank you very much you'l help me alot :}
post #891 of 1920 Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 AM

Hi guys, I just bought an Insignia NS-51P680A12 which is supposed to have the same panel as this one. The problem is that my set has terrible black levels, worse than my previous LG LCD Tv and the colors are washed out.

Is this the case for these tvs or did I get a faulty one? Should I exchange this set for a similar one?
post #892 of 1920 Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe87865 View Post

that is comforting to know, did you do this after the 1 year manufacture warranty?.. and dealt only with best buy?

how are you liking you d550 over the c550?

No, it was within the 1 year warranty and I dealt with Samsung. Once Samsung gave me a new TV the Best Buy warranty was no longer valid so I got my money back.

I like the D550 a lot more than the C550. Of course, my c550 sucked.
post #893 of 1920 Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipitz View Post

Go to ADC/WB , after that you'l have 4 things to choose : ADC , ADC Target, ADC Result, White balance. Don't go to ADC, there are no settings. Please take photos of ADC Target, ADC Result, White balance, in AV mode, in HDMI mode and in standart channel viewing mode, thank you very much you'l help me alot :}

Okay here they are. This is the Australian PS model but should be the same.

I wanted to go in and try switching it to a 7000 model to unlock the advanced calibrations. Ended up switching back for now until I can get a solution for my HDMI inputs not working. (Tried a passive splitter but it has handshaking problems - audio dropouts etc.)

Pity cause I have an Eye-One Pro and have already run through the AVSHD/Color HCFR calibrations on the 2 point white balance, but can't seem to get rid of some red push/oversaturated yellows...
LL
LL
LL
post #894 of 1920 Old 08-30-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suibhne View Post

I don't need 3D or the extra ports, so I'm awfully tempted by the 51" D530. I'm a little confused on feature differences, tho.

The official "Samsung 2011 models" thread in AVS indicates that the D530 does not offer CinemaSmooth, but Samsung's PR materials seem to suggest that it does. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Are there any other differences between the D550 and D530 aside from 3D and ports? E.g., can the advanced calibration be unlocked on the 530 just as on the 550?

Thanks.

I am thinking the same thing and have similar questions. I am looking for a place that actually has a D530 to look at and stumble through the menu's.
post #895 of 1920 Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM

Well, I called Samsung today about my flickering red pixel. The process was actually pretty smooth. After I hung up, I was contacted within 15 minutes from a local service provider. They are ordering a new panel and replacing it as soon as it comes in.

Jason
post #896 of 1920 Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Does anyone with a PN59D6500 notice that they are getting any of the "soap opera effect" when watching 2d content? How does samsung deal with frame interpolation and is there a way to turn it off?
post #897 of 1920 Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM

After a huge headache of a situation at Best Buy I finally have my PN51D550 and 2 pairs of glasses on a raincheck. I went in yesterday to return my PN51D490 and upgrade and pay the difference for a 550. But the girl at the desk returned the money back to my walmart visa instead of just applying it towards the new set. So now those funds are floating until they get posted back onto the card. And I dont have enough to cover the floating $761, and the $320 extra for the 550. So in the meantime I had to buy a cheaper open box panasonic that I could afford so I would at least have a TV while until the funds posted. Anyway looking forward to getting my tv and starting me break in slides.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #898 of 1920 Old 09-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Does anyone Have the best calibrating settings for my 51 3D D550 Plasma?
post #899 of 1920 Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbattaglia View Post

Does anyone Have the best calibrating settings for my 51 3D D550 Plasma?

This is what I am going to use. http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #900 of 1920 Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM

I've searched, but cannot find the types of video files that are playable on this TV. Will it play AVCHD files from an SDcard reader or external hard drive? I've read where it can play mkv files, but nothing about AVCHD files. I have quite a few AVCHD files from my camcorder and camera that I'd like to play on this TV. Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page