AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM Audi View Post

cd/m2

Ive only ever seen black depth measured in cd/m2, and brightness measured in ftL. I thought it was pretty standard, but could be wrong on that.

You could be wrong -- and you are. And it's candelas per meter squared. Hence the "^" character.

By the way, the black level of the North American D550 is about 0.015 ftL (0.05 cd/m^2).

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1321001419
I was going by the results there.
post #1353 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So compared to other plasmas is this black level bar for the price? Its sure better then my old dlp. I think its great.
Is it better then equal priced lcds?
post #1354 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

it's normal sure, but it's also a defect... I would exchange asap.

you will need more than 2 for it to be covered under the Samsung waranty.

Thanks RobbyTV! I still have some time before I return it so I will see if the situation improves. Am I wrong in assuming that stuck pixels can be repaired?
post #1355 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So I returned a Samsung 46" 70000 LED tv and got the PN59D550 Plasma a few days ago. I hook it up to my Sony BDP-S770 and notice that when I popped in a 3D blu-ray the screen would be green and blue and look like a when a component cable's not properly connected like the green is in the blue etc. I am using a hi speed hdmi cable. I returned the tv thinking the tv is defective. I noticed that in the picture menu the 3D is greyed out (the 1st option) I can not adjust depth as it's greyed out. So I tell the guy this and he finally lets me exchange it. I do so only to find I have the same issue, so I try my playstation 3 and it works the screen isn't all out of wack. It's my player that my tv does not get along with. So I go out and buy a Sony BDP-S780 and it the picture looks normal but the 3D lacks depth and the 3D is greyed out. I do a search and see a similar issue with the same tv but a different blu player. His solution was to buy a Samsung BDP-S6500. I exchanged the 780 for the Samsung BDD6700ZA.
Is the 3D option supposed to be greyed out in the picture menu (3D is off etc)? I can press 3D on the remote and do 2d-3d etc. The 3D lacks depth and I have a hard time believing it's actually on. If it's normal and that's what 3d on this tv looks like than I am going to have to return it. I own the PN50c680 so I know what 3D can look like. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated. Btw I am using a Onkyo 3d receiver, I even went straight to the tv from the blu-ray player and still the 3d option was greyed out.
post #1356 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Are you using a 3D blu-ray? If so it shouldnt be greyed out.
post #1357 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Are you using a 3D blu-ray? If so it shouldnt be greyed out.

Yeah! I put in the Avatar 3D Blu-ray as well How To Train your Dragon blu-ray 3d. 3d is always greyed out.
post #1358 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalazy View Post

Yeah! I put in the Avatar 3D Blu-ray as well How To Train your Dragon blu-ray 3d. 3d is always greyed out.

With the PS3, when I put in Avatar 3D, it starts up in 3D. Maybe a setting in the player? Or try a different HDMI cable?
post #1359 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am going to contact Samsung and see what they say. I tried several HDMI cables and still no luck. Didn't have this issue with the Led 7000. Thanks! Again.
post #1360 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

How good is your Samsung 3D quality?

I've had my PN64D550 since August, and I love it. Great TV. It, however, has been a huge disappointment with a fair amount of 3D ghosting (crosstalk) with most all movies played. Even the latest firmware update 1018.1 didn't fix the issue.

I just found the following thread here about how to determine if your panel is good at 3D delivery or not - it's a test to see how much cross talk your TV displays. Here's the link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291751.

I wasn't surprised that my Samsung did quite poorly.

If other owners Samsung 2011 series 5 plasma owners can try the test and post their results, that would be awesome.

Here are my results:TV model: Samsung PN64D550 64" Plasma
3D glasses model: Samsung SSG-3100GB battery powered.
Firmware: 1018.1 view from 8 feet.
Cell light 16, running in "movie mode"

Left eye open/right closed -> top half screen smaller visible number -> 1
Left eye open/right closed -> bottom half screen smaller visible number -> 6
Right eye open/left closed -> top half screen smaller visible number -> 4
Right eye open/left closed -> bottom half screen smaller visible number -> 1

Please run the test too, if you can, and post results.

Thanks.

Ian

VERY similar results over here with a PN51D550 set.

I've been having the same problem with my 51" D550 set since I bought it in October. PQ is great, but a hefty amount of ghosting in 3D with pretty much anything I throw at it, be it movies or video games. The only 3D that seems to NOT have ghosting is the upscaling.

I've been trying to figure out a solution from changing settings to checking the firmware, and the only thing I can come up with is the 3100GB glasses. They don't appear to block out much light whatsoever. I'm wondering if those new $80 model glasses will alleviate the issue, or if they're even compatible with the TV. That being said, I did a good amount of research before I bought the set, and never saw anything that talked about the ghosting being so bad...

On my end, even in bright scenes I get the faint outlines around faces, etc. Looks like a bunch of silhouettes. -__- While gaming, I get significant crosstalk around the hands in FPS's, not to mention ghosting all-around. Ever figure out a solution?
post #1361 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Im about to see if Dell will let me return it now. Im seeing IR now, and the scrolling doesnt seem to be doing anything about it.
post #1362 of 1920 Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM

Hi guys! Proud new 59" owner today. Swapped out from a terrible Lg that they actually bought back from me! Loving my new Samsung!
post #1363 of 1920 Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, I wish Sammy would put it on the website. Im stuck with 1018, and want to find out if 1019 will fix the brightness pops. If not, I may return it, but dont have much longer.

Anyway of someone with 1019 being able to copy the FW to a USB drive and uploading it somehow?

bump.

any idea on what changes were in the 1018 -> 1019?

hoping the new firmware solves some stuttering sound issues with high quality MKV playback over LAN :S
post #1364 of 1920 Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Im about to see if Dell will let me return it now. Im seeing IR now, and the scrolling doesnt seem to be doing anything about it.

If I may ask, how long have you had the set before noticing this? The reason I ask is I'm on my 2nd 51D550. The 1st I noticed a lot of IR within first few hours of use even from it's own menu system. The 2nd I haven't noticed it "yet" and I've thrown a lot of questionable material at to see if it would. The 2nd one also doesn't display the black level of the 1st, which was very black and was on par with my 07" Pio Elite Kuro.
post #1365 of 1920 Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM

??? thinking of returning and purchasing a panasonic tc-p50s30. Is the panasonic a better choice?
post #1366 of 1920 Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwulf View Post

If I may ask, how long have you had the set before noticing this? The reason I ask is I'm on my 2nd 51D550. The 1st I noticed a lot of IR within first few hours of use even from it's own menu system. The 2nd I haven't noticed it "yet" and I've thrown a lot of questionable material at to see if it would. The 2nd one also doesn't display the black level of the 1st, which was very black and was on par with my 07" Pio Elite Kuro.

Ive had it a month now, so I dont think I could return for a refund, but I might at least get an exchange. Maybe keep exchanging them if I keep getting buzzers or brightness pops, then get them to up me to a D7000
post #1367 of 1920 Old 01-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Hope someone can help. Currently watching a movie from my PS3 via receiver (Denon AVR1712) to a PN59D530. PS3 is set to output BD at 1080/24. High speed HDMI to the receiver and on to the TV.

Denon should just pass the signal through. TV shows 1080@24hz when I hit info, and I'm set to movie mode.

When I go into the menu, under 'picture options', HDMI Black Level is greyed out and set to normal, Film Mode is greyed out and set to 'Off'.

Do I need to set anything else up in order to adjust these two menu items? I've never seen them available.

Thanks!
post #1368 of 1920 Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 AM

PN51D550 ...

1. When I watch regular cable with my tv and not the premium HD content I am getting a brighter bar of pixels in a row from top to bottom down the right side of my screen (more than 1 row)

Why does it only happen when I am watching regular digital cable ???

2. The anti burn in program will not stop at 10 min despite me telling it to. When I first got the set it had no problem shutting off after I ran the 10 min cycle but now it will just continue to run forever leaving the tv set on.

3. Sound popping and crackling some days. I guess like problem #1 it may or may not be my tv as it very well could be the cable provider / pvr dvr issues but my guess is no. In regards to the popping I had it happen when the screen would switch images say from a program to a commercial, commercial to a program and it may have done it at other times but it was much more rare and I may be wrong about that.

So has anyone else experienced any of these issues ?

Btw I usually don't get extended warranties as they are not recommended but with my 1st plasma tv and the uncertainty of the technology at times well I thought it was a good idea and I am glad I have an extra 2 or 3 years on my new tv. I honestly do recommend others looking at extended warranties for these tvs as they clearly are not as reliable as LCD technology still.

ohhhh and for the record I would still want a plasma tv from Samsung even with the problems I have had .... great value in purchasing this model right now and especially at Boxing Day when people got it for $699.99
post #1369 of 1920 Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 AM

Just bought one of these bad boys and so far I'm pretty damn impressed. One question though: is there any way to disable what appears to be some kind of auto-brightness setting the set has? When "nothing" is on screen the whole panel is black, but as soon as something, even a tiny bit of text, appears the whole panel lights up visibly.

The Sony Bravia LCD this is replacing did more or less the same thing so I'm kinda used to it, but I'm wondering if there's a setting in the calibration menu (the one you have to push a button combo to get into) or if that's the "brightness pops" I hear people talking about.

-edit-

After doing some research it appears this might be the normal activity of the eco sensor. Any way to totally disable it? I've turned off all the enviro-friendly power-saving type options I can find.
post #1370 of 1920 Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNP View Post

Just bought one of these bad boys and so far I'm pretty damn impressed. One question though: is there any way to disable what appears to be some kind of auto-brightness setting the set has? When "nothing" is on screen the whole panel is black, but as soon as something, even a tiny bit of text, appears the whole panel lights up visibly.

The Sony Bravia LCD this is replacing did more or less the same thing so I'm kinda used to it, but I'm wondering if there's a setting in the calibration menu (the one you have to push a button combo to get into) or if that's the "brightness pops" I hear people talking about.

-edit-

After doing some research it appears this might be the normal activity of the eco sensor. Any way to totally disable it? I've turned off all the enviro-friendly power-saving type options I can find.

All you have to do is turn the eco sensor off in the power save menu. It will stay disabled. I just have all the options there set to off.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #1371 of 1920 Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post

All you have to do is turn the eco sensor off in the power save menu. It will stay disabled. I just have all the options there set to off.

I'm reasonably certain I have turned it off.

Meh, oh well. It's a new set. I'm gonna enable the 10-point thing and arse about with it for a while, I'm sure I'll figure it out.
post #1372 of 1920 Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Called samsung about the buzzing, a local shop came out, took my tv and today they called and told me they ordered a new panel and it will take a few days to come in from LA.
post #1373 of 1920 Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Hi. Just bought this TV (51 inch) 1 week ago.
I am a hardcore console gamer (mw3) and I was not impressed with the game performance at all. Even on game mode the lag is totally noticeable and got me killed too many times to count. I was pretty close to throwing my controller through the TV.

Yesterday I found out about the edit HDMI name to 'PC' and I tried playing. HUGE HUGE DIFFERENCE, Not only is there no lag whatsoever (it's smooth as butter, no mouse lag and choppiness) but I can actually see the screen now. Before (esp on game mode) the entire game world as dull and had jaggies everywhere.

My question is,
Are there any long term effects of using the ps3 in 'PC' mode? While watching netflix on my ps3 should I keep switching the HDMI name and go back to movie mode or just leave it on pc mode at all times?

I'm pretty sure that even if it totally ruins the TV after a while I would still use it because I can't play with ANY lag or delay at all.

Thank you for your replies!
post #1374 of 1920 Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juched View Post

Called samsung about the buzzing, a local shop came out, took my tv and today they called and told me they ordered a new panel and it will take a few days to come in from LA.

Your new one is going to buzz too. I wouldn't get your hopes up.
post #1375 of 1920 Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlabonte View Post

Your new one is going to buzz too. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

doh... I will still complain.
post #1376 of 1920 Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there an overall verdict on the D550? Does anyone think it's worth paying more for either the D7000 or the Panasonic GT? I'm likely going to be in the 64/65" neighborhood.
post #1377 of 1920 Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Hello everyone,

First I want to say this thread has been extremely helpful with getting the tv looking amazing. I have the 51d550. I currently have my blu-ray, Xbox, and cable all hooked into a receiver with one hdmi to the tv. Since I don't switch inputs for the components I did not have to calibrate several inputs. My question is when watching 3d it seems to not pop out of the screen as much as it looks like its in the screen if that makes sense. Are there settings I can change to enhance the pop out effect? Is there a setting anyone is using to also brighten the screen a bit to compensate for the darker image. Putting it in dynamic helped a little for me it seemed.

Current Setup:
TV: Samsung PN51D550 | Receiver: Denon AVR-1613 | Fronts: Polk Monitor 65T | Rears: Polk Monitor 35B | Center: Polk Monitor 15c | Sub: Polk PSW-505

Using a hacked Expedit bookshelf from IKEA as my console.
post #1378 of 1920 Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 13
That's how modern 3D is intended to look, because that's how things look in real life. The "Captain EO" gimmick of something coming out of the screen to poke you in the eye is old hat.
post #1379 of 1920 Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

That's how modern 3D is intended to look, because that's how things look in real life. The "Captain EO" gimmick of something coming out of the screen to poke you in the eye is old hat.

Thanks, I figured that it was supposed to be that way just wanted to make sure there wasn't a setting I was missing somewhere.

Current Setup:
TV: Samsung PN51D550 | Receiver: Denon AVR-1613 | Fronts: Polk Monitor 65T | Rears: Polk Monitor 35B | Center: Polk Monitor 15c | Sub: Polk PSW-505

Using a hacked Expedit bookshelf from IKEA as my console.
post #1380 of 1920 Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnea View Post

Hope someone can help. Currently watching a movie from my PS3 via receiver (Denon AVR1712) to a PN59D530. PS3 is set to output BD at 1080/24. High speed HDMI to the receiver and on to the TV.

Denon should just pass the signal through. TV shows 1080@24hz when I hit info, and I'm set to movie mode.

When I go into the menu, under 'picture options', HDMI Black Level is greyed out and set to normal, Film Mode is greyed out and set to 'Off'.

Do I need to set anything else up in order to adjust these two menu items? I've never seen them available.

Thanks!

Bump - anyone able to help please? Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page