post #181 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by will7046 View Post

That is interesting, it does sound like a different issue then. If the black levels were floating, you would probably only notice it on dark scene or a scene quickly shifting between dark and bright. What your TV is doing sounds much less anoying or noticable.

I agree. I definitely do not have floating blacks. Ever since Alpha (aka Aletuner) started talking about his problem, I've watched very closely to see if my set was plagued by the same issue. My blacks are perfect....they've exceeded my expectation.

The white contrast shift was subtle and has only happened once. I can definitely live with that. I honestly believe that everyone experiencing the floating blacks has a TV from a bad batch. It would be interesting to see serial numbers from everyone. Everyone that has the floating black issue, post the SN as well as those people that have definitively confirmed they don't have floating blacks. Maybe we'll see a pattern.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any help with the analog audio out? There isnt one on the 51" right? What's a guy to do?
post #183 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I agree. I definitely do not have floating blacks. Ever since Alpha (aka Aletuner) started talking about his problem, I've watched very closely to see if my set was plagued by the same issue. My blacks are perfect....they've exceeded my expectation.

The white contrast shift was subtle and has only happened once. I can definitely live with that. I honestly believe that everyone experiencing the floating blacks has a TV from a bad batch. It would be interesting to see serial numbers from everyone. Everyone that has the floating black issue, post the SN as well as those people that have definitively confirmed they don't have floating blacks. Maybe we'll see a pattern.

Thanks for the confirmation. Thats great to hear, I may add this model back to my possible replacement list for my Panny GT25 that I am trying to sell because of the floating blacks. Just out of curiosity, which size screen do you have? I think someone earlier pointed out that maybe this only happened on certain sized screens.
post #184 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

It's either in Picture or Advanced Options in the Display menu.

I see "film mode". I'm assuming that's the same thing. Mine is grayed out. Does anyone know why it wouldn't be selectable?
post #185 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post

I see "film mode". I'm assuming that's the same thing. Mine is grayed out. Does anyone know why it wouldn't be selectable?

Most likely because of what frame rate your source is set to.
post #186 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by will7046 View Post

Thanks for the confirmation. Thats great to hear, I may add this model back to my possible replacement list for my Panny GT25 that I am trying to sell because of the floating blacks. Just out of curiosity, which size screen do you have? I think someone earlier pointed out that maybe this only happened on certain sized screens.

I've got the 59". So does Aletuner and he's experiencing floating blacks. I feel confident that I've gone through enough material to confirm I don't have the problem, so I think I can safely hypothesize it's coming down to some folks getting a TV from a bad batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post

It's in there; as the poster above mentioned, you need to enable 24Hz on your source (e.g., I did this in the PS3 and was able to toggle Cinema Smooth).

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #187 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

question, does anyone use an external hard drive connected to their tv to play moves off of. I tried a MKV file off a USB flash drive and it worked great, I was thinking of picking up an external hard drive instead of a flash drive but do not know if it will work and what type, whether a USB powered one will suffice or do I need an externally powered one?

I have a 320 gig that I salvaged from a bad laptop and put in a usb hard drive enclosure. Works like a champ no power supply needed.
post #188 of 1920 Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengine1885 View Post

I have a 320 gig that I salvaged from a bad laptop and put in a usb hard drive enclosure. Works like a champ no power supply needed.

good to hear, thanks
post #189 of 1920 Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Have any of you watched tv shows or movies without the 3d glasses? Is it worth it to buy the glasses? Where is the best place to get 3d glasses?
post #190 of 1920 Old 04-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Samsung is going to replace my 50C550 with a 51D550.

I had a few problems with the C550. Mainly horizontal banding and some really horrilble image retention.

Can anybody comment on this TV's image retention (hopefully lack there of)?

Has anybody noticed horizontal banding? I noticed it on every C550 I have ever seen.

Please indicate the size of your TV. It seemed that the larger version of the C550 didn't have as many picture quality problems.

Thanks.
post #191 of 1920 Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

Samsung is going to replace my 50C550 with a 51D550.

I had a few problems with the C550. Mainly horizontal banding and some really horrilble image retention.

Can anybody comment on this TV's image retention (hopefully lack there of)?

Has anybody noticed horizontal banding? I noticed it on every C550 I have ever seen.

Please indicate the size of your TV. It seemed that the larger version of the C550 didn't have as many picture quality problems.

Thanks.

I returned my 51" D550 today due to excessive glare, but IR was not an issue at all for me - but only a movie watcher. Looked really nice in dark room, but I don't want to limit my TV viewing to 8:30 and later.
post #192 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRrobin981 View Post

I returned my 51" D550 today due to excessive glare, but IR was not an issue at all for me - but only a movie watcher. Looked really nice in dark room, but I don't want to limit my TV viewing to 8:30 and later.

Haha ditto. Exactly why I returned mine.
post #193 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Are you getting the 6500 then? Its is the D550, but with a great A/R filter and super thin, apps. ETC...
post #194 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 PM

I am a very happy owner of the 2011 pn59 d550 - think it looks fantastic. did as much research as possible. Just have to say the glare was a real concern especially when i unpacked and set up - though of sending it back/exchanging for the panasonic 55 plasma - but then went and stared at the panasonic and samsung next to each other in a BB and a SEARS and then stared at someone's SAMSUNG LN55 LCD during daylight hours. These things all reflect - it's bad during daytime. I did not want to pay for a 7000 or 8000 where you have a better coating/might see a difference. I have a series of windows behind couch facing TV. blinds weren't enough. I was forced to invest in drapes. happy this is solution. think i would have had a problem no matter what plasma i bought. Someone mentioned that the 6500 has a better IR filter - is that true? I didn't see it on the specs. I thought the only difference were the apps/internet connect? Am I wrong?
post #195 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 PM

I have windows behind my couch, directly opposite my 51" too, and yeah, same thing. We're going to have to put some blinds up. It wasn't a problem on my old TV (32" vizio plasma) but we had it in the corner, this one is just too big lol. Still looking for a cheap good looking stand
post #196 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Haha ditto. Exactly why I returned mine.

Ha looks like I'm not the only one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAM11 View Post

I am a very happy owner of the 2011 pn59 d550 - think it looks fantastic. did as much research as possible. Just have to say the glare was a real concern especially when i unpacked and set up - though of sending it back/exchanging for the panasonic 55 plasma - but then went and stared at the panasonic and samsung next to each other in a BB and a SEARS and then stared at someone's SAMSUNG LN55 LCD during daylight hours. These things all reflect - it's bad during daytime.

I felt the same way in the store. But I now have the ST30 and I have to say there is a pretty big difference.

The sammy was really hard to watch in the daytime because my eyes kept focusing on the reflection. Right now I am watching the lakers on my new screen. I can still see the lamp thats on but its much less distracting.

my .02
post #197 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For anyone connecting a hard drive directly to the tv, some words of advice.
A friend of mine gave me his Seagate Freeagent USB hard drive, this drive is usb powered. The drive was formatted to be used on a Mac previously so I do not know what file system they come with. I also tried by gf's ac powered WD drive and that was found by the tv also, it seems that as long as the following conditions are met any external disk should work.

1)the drive needs to have a MBR, not a GPT partition table layout.
2)The drive can have either fat32 or NTFS file system
3)I set the partition to primary(not positive if this is required)
post #198 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

Are you getting the 6500 then? Its is the D550, but with a great A/R filter and super thin, apps. ETC...

I would consider a 6500 or 7000 if I could see that they were better at reducing glare. Like the LGs, I'd want to see one first before ordering online (if I went that route). The Fry's "10 feet" from my house is really slow about getting new models. No new Panasonics are the floor. I'm not even sure they have all the new Samsung models. And Best Buy, at "20 feet" from my house, kind of burned me yesterday a bit at customer service, so I'll still annoyed at them for now.

While I'm am definitely not a stickler for low-low MLLs and gamma accuracy, I'm hyper sensitive to buzz, glare and color shifts/floating blacks and I saw aspects of both on the G25 (image and bars) and the D550 (color "pops/shifts" - whatever we're calling it.)

Edit: Another annoyance, if on the minor side, is I have tried two Samsungs (one LCD and one plasma) and both would now allow my Marantz receiver to pass HDMI from my HD DVD player to the set. I had to hook the player directly to the TV, then I would be fine. (And then I'd be confined to Dolby Digital audio via TosLink to receiver, I believe.) Not a problem with the Panasonic G25. And Panasonics don't seem to have glare issues.
post #199 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I am a very happy owner of the 2011 pn59 d550 - think it looks fantastic. did as much research as possible. Just have to say the glare was a real concern especially when i unpacked and set up - though of sending it back/exchanging for the panasonic 55 plasma - but then went and stared at the panasonic and samsung next to each other in a BB and a SEARS and then stared at someone's SAMSUNG LN55 LCD during daylight hours. These things all reflect - it's bad during daytime. I did not want to pay for a 7000 or 8000 where you have a better coating/might see a difference. I have a series of windows behind couch facing TV. blinds weren't enough. I was forced to invest in drapes. happy this is solution. think i would have had a problem no matter what plasma i bought. Someone mentioned that the 6500 has a better IR filter - is that true? I didn't see it on the specs. I thought the only difference were the apps/internet connect? Am I wrong?

I can tell you from my experience in seeing the 550 and 6500 side by side the 6500 has significantly less glare.
post #200 of 1920 Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM

OK, I just set the D550 up and turned her on. I thought it was pretty bright compared to my DLP. I have been looking at different channels and the ESPN HD is really cool!! My eyes are so used to a dim TV that my eyes will need adjusting to this new technology....(new to me)

I turned the contrast down from 95 to 88.
I have not touched any other picture settings.

So tell me, is it good just to leave this thing on Standard mode for a few weeks.

Any calibration settings you recommend right out of the box with out hurting the break in period??

Any other tips right out of the box.

Thanks
post #201 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 AM

two quick questions:

1 - is there a screen size setting that will allow my HD channels to appear in their native 16:9 and stretch the non-HD 4:3 channels to fit the screen. the screen fit setting doesn't seem to do this for me.

2 - i didn't understand from the previous posts - is there a consensus on why the blacks might flicker. I've only seen this on a dvd / component connection and not through my cable/hdmi connection. Is this an auto correction to prevent burn in? Is this something that can be turned off? Do I want to turn it off if it's preventing burn in?

thanks for any help.
post #202 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Brought this home last night. Set up was a breeze. It's a very pretty looking set. Out of box settings was in Standard mode and too garish for my dark basement. Stole some settings from c550 thread. I have zero buzz. Hooray!! The picture is extremely clean and crisp. Maybe best I have seen in that department. The blacks are unfortunately an absolute joke. Of all the tv's I have owned V10, B860, C550, PK550, G20, C680, EX500, XBR9, B460, S1 and the blacks on this set are noticeably lighter than any of them. It's actually horrendous. I also have witnessed the brightness/black pops that occur. They tend to happen when something darker is showing i.e. Valkerie which was on cable last night. The colors seem great and motion is fine. I am going to let it get to 100 hours then I will calibrate it using Eye One LT and HCFR to dial in to 31 ftl which is what I like in the completely dark basement. It will take about a week. I will then compare it side by side with pictures to my 40EX500 which is dialed in beautifully at 31ftl so you can compare the blacks. I am hoping blacks improve and maybe with calibration the annoying pops go away. Otherwise, this goes back. I haven't opened the 3d glasses to test that yet because no point if 2d won't work.
post #203 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 AM

I have a question too, my local commercials are in 720p from my cable provider but when I'm watching 1080i programming, the tv cycles off for a second when the 720p comes on then does it again when the 1080i comes back - I looked at the settings for my cable box but didn't find anything to keep it from doing that - is there anything on the TV that would keep that from happening? It's not a huge deal, just an annoyance when the TV goes black for a couple seconds during every other commercial break.
post #204 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

Brought this home last night. Set up was a breeze. It's a very pretty looking set. Out of box settings was in Standard mode and too garish for my dark basement. Stole some settings from c550 thread. I have zero buzz. Hooray!! The picture is extremely clean and crisp. Maybe best I have seen in that department. The blacks are unfortunately an absolute joke. Of all the tv's I have owned V10, B860, C550, PK550, G20, C680, EX500, XBR9, B460, S1 and the blacks on this set are noticeably lighter than any of them. It's actually horrendous. I also have witnessed the brightness/black pops that occur. They tend to happen when something darker is showing i.e. Valkerie which was on cable last night. The colors seem great and motion is fine. I am going to let it get to 100 hours then I will calibrate it using Eye One LT and HCFR to dial in to 31 ftl which is what I like in the completely dark basement. It will take about a week. I will then compare it side by side with pictures to my 40EX500 which is dialed in beautifully at 31ftl so you can compare the blacks. I am hoping blacks improve and maybe with calibration the annoying pops go away. Otherwise, this goes back. I haven't opened the 3d glasses to test that yet because no point if 2d won't work.

Let us know those settings when you get them. Thanks
post #205 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominabox1 View Post

I have a question too, my local commercials are in 720p from my cable provider but when I'm watching 1080i programming, the tv cycles off for a second when the 720p comes on then does it again when the 1080i comes back - I looked at the settings for my cable box but didn't find anything to keep it from doing that - is there anything on the TV that would keep that from happening? It's not a huge deal, just an annoyance when the TV goes black for a couple seconds during every other commercial break.

If you set your cable box to always output 1080i it won't do this. But then your cable box will be the one upscaling standard def instead of your tv.

Its up to you to decide which one can do it better.
post #206 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM

I guess I could set it to say the TV does not support 720p and only supports 1080i...worth a shot
post #207 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. A television station only broadcasts in one digital format no matter their source. A 1080i or 720P station is always delivering their signal in the same format. For reference... ABC, Fox, and ESPN high definition networks (and affiliate stations) only output at 720P. CBS, NBC, and PBS high definition networks (and affiliates) plus several other HD cable channels are only sending a 1080i signal.

Is your cable box output set to "auto" or something like that? This insures that the box is just relaying the signal on an "as is" basis to your television. For any modern TV, this is your best option. If you can confirm that then I'd look at the cable box and not the TV as the source of the problem.
post #208 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I could set it to say the TV does not support 720p and only supports 1080i...worth a shot

Yes that will make it always stay at 1080i. You need to uncheck 480 as well.
post #209 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I'd recommend you do more to adjust the black level. You're the first person I've seen that has anything negative to say about it. To me it'd make more sense to adjust it by eye than to use settings from another model.
post #210 of 1920 Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2 - i didn't understand from the previous posts - is there a consensus on why the blacks might flicker. I've only seen this on a dvd / component connection and not through my cable/hdmi connection. Is this an auto correction to prevent burn in? Is this something that can be turned off? Do I want to turn it off if it's preventing burn in?

As far as I know, no one has discovered anything concrete. The only thing that seems to have any effect on it is the contrast/brightness setting. My set will raise the brightness up if a portion of the image is relatively bright. I think I tend to have my contrast up too high (bringing up the large white Picture Options screen is a bit painful) though so that's probably aggravating the issue.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d550 51 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page