Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4123 Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox View Post
Just got my 64" D7000 set up. My wife is currently watching Celebrity Apprentice. Wouldn't be my first choice, but she's the boss. We're going to throw in Tangled 3D afterwards. I played some test scenes from Tron Legacy, and I was more than happy with the 3D at home. Also, this was with the blinds up with floor to ceiling windows with a southern exposure. I was worried that I should have waited for the 65" LED LCD, but coming from an old DLP, it's a huge improvement. Can't wait to spend some quality time in front of this set with my wife, who purchased a new stand and TV for me for my birthday (in June!). More to follow...
What kind of speakers are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4123 Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe361

What kind of speakers are you using?
5 Anthony Gallo Micro speakers with a passive woofer in the rear that are over a decade old and a BIC V1020 subwoofer in the front. I blew out my Polk and bought a cheap sub for apt. use after reading reviews about the BIC.
post #273 of 4123 Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 PM

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Logitech to get the codes up for Harmony Remotes?

Would C7000 settings work?
post #274 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 AM
B0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox
Just got my 64" D7000 set up. My wife is currently watching Celebrity Apprentice. Wouldn't be my first choice, but she's the boss. We're going to throw in Tangled 3D afterwards. I played some test scenes from Tron Legacy, and I was more than happy with the 3D at home. Also, this was with the blinds up with floor to ceiling windows with a southern exposure. I was worried that I should have waited for the 65" LED LCD, but coming from an old DLP, it's a huge improvement. Can't wait to spend some quality time in front of this set with my wife, who purchased a new stand and TV for me for my birthday (in June!). More to follow...
Very sleek!
post #275 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM

So I've played around with my TV more, and have some thoughts.

We were a little annoyed that the TV is not actually black, but more of a pewter color. That was the major reason we got the D7000 instead of the D8000. My wife would have preferred the D8000's Skype functionality. The hazards of buying something unseen, I guess...

The TV streams HD .mkv files, including SBS 3D, with no problems, which is awesome. I had been streaming with my old XBox 360, but I am happy not to have to turn that loud thing on anymore when watching movies off of my network drive, and to gain additional formats. I think the TV will output multichannel surround as long as it's not Bluray (maybe cable, haven't tried).

I love that each input retains its own settings.

I guess I can't hook up my old receiver with a composite video cable, since the TV has no inputs for that? Also, in the manual, it says component video signals are limited to 720p, but I have my XBox hooked up that way, and the info is showing 1080i.

My wife is concerned that the TV is not stable on the stand and sways when I move our TV stand. Can anyone else speak to that? I attached the stand myself, and I don't think I did it incorrectly.

Anyway, love the TV, love the 3D movies that have been coming out recently, and love that more 3D is available though cable. Our room is rather challenging as far as light coming in, but the TV is perfectly watchable in the afternoon when the sun is in full view of our windows. I guess the people that complain about room light and reflections aren't coming from a 720p DLP that washed out completely.
LL
post #276 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 AM

i thought the D7000 was supposed to be black?
post #277 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Can someone tell me how the mkv streaming compares on the panny plasmas? I'd love to not have to not go through the xbox and all the problems that gives.
post #278 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0yce View Post

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Logitech to get the codes up for Harmony Remotes?

Would C7000 settings work?

Yeah, you can set it up with year's C-series models.
post #279 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post

i thought the D7000 was supposed to be black?

Definately not black under sunlight. That's one of the first things I commented on in the OP. The D7000/D8000 touch of color in Samsung's press photos is not accurate.
post #280 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

how reflective is it? it says it has a tru black filter does that help with the reflections?
post #281 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The RBF helps keep the screen "blacker" under lighting than the step-down models. It does not supress reflections any better than a D6500. There are pics sprinkled throughout the various Samsung threads that can give you an idea.
post #282 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

My wife is concerned that the TV is not stable on the stand and sways when I move our TV stand. Can anyone else speak to that? I attached the stand myself, and I don't think I did it incorrectly.

Mine sways a bit as well. I had planned on redoing it to see if I had made an error somehow but I was sure I did it correctly.
post #283 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Is that a Salamander stand you've got there?
post #284 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfost24 View Post

Is that a Salamander stand you've got there?

It's a BDI, the Mirage I think. The hidden wheels are the best thing ever.
post #285 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

It's a BDI, the Mirage I think. The hidden wheels are the best thing ever.

does you 360 have enough vent or do you take it out when you play?
post #286 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

The RBF helps keep the screen "blacker" under lighting than the step-down models. It does not supress reflections any better than a D6500. There are pics sprinkled throughout the various Samsung threads that can give you an idea.

thanks. any buzzing issues?
post #287 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

does you 360 have enough vent or do you take it out when you play?

I am still on the original XBox 360, so it probably could use all the ventilation it can get, but no, I don't take it out. The shelves have ventilation, as does the back of the stand, so I'm not too worried about it.
post #288 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 PM

I received my new Samsung P59D7000 Plasma Display and I have some questions regarding the screen display configuration settings.

I have left everything on the default settings and when I played the Avatar Blu-Ray Disk on my new Samsung BD-6700 Blu-Ray Player the movie looked spectacular.

When I watch the Cablevision cable tv shows on either 720P or 1080i some of the channels look darker than others.

I am using the Mediabridge 1.4 HDMI cables for all of my cable connections.

I tried the four default screen display settings with the following results.

Dynamic - Bright Screen But In Some Areas The Colors Are Too Bright.
Standard - Most Realistic But Some Channels Are Too Dark.
Movie - Not As Sharp or as Clear With A Washed Out Look To It.
Relax - Sharper Than Movie But Not As Good As Standard.

I know that I can experiment with each of the four settings, and I can always go back to the default settings.

The bedroom is 18.5 by 12 feet and the viewing distance is at 9 feet and at eye level, since the TV is on its pedestal stand sitting on a 30 inch high clothes bureau.

When we watch tv in the bedroom, it is always kept dark with no lights, and I notice that my eyes started tearing after watching cable tv after a few hours, but not when watching Avatar or other blu-ray movies.

We used to have in the same location a twelve year old thirty six inch tube tv which was not HD, so maybe my eyes need to go through an adjustment period.

I was told that there should be at least another light source in the room, even a dim light source, since watching the plasma screen in total darkness could be too much strain for my eyes.

Should I have someone professionally calibrate the plasma display which will cost a few hundred dollars?

Or buy a calibration disk, or just experiment with the display screen configuration settings?

Does anyone have the calibration settings which they are using for this Plasma Display and which are producing great results?

Any thoughts?

Jonathan
post #289 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:

The TV streams HD .mkv files, including SBS 3D, with no problems, which is awesome. I

How are you streaming these? I have my laptop connecting through Allshare and it is only picking up the AVI files. I also tried Servio and got the same result. I did notice that it works on a thumbdrive, but that limits the file size, especially on the 3d movies.
post #290 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseybeemer View Post

How are you streaming these? I have my laptop connecting through Allshare and it is only picking up the AVI files. I also tried Servio and got the same result. I did notice that it works on a thumbdrive, but that limits the file size, especially on the 3d movies.

I have a NAS drive hooked up to the same network as the TV. Not sure what Allshare is, but my drive just showed up as a source I can select with the source button on the remote. Using wireless for the TV made the HD movies stutter, so I am using a wired connection, and it works great. Streams 5.1 through the optical output on the TV, too.
post #291 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

So do you feel the 6500 is an overall better deal than the 7000? Even more so in an environment with controlled lighting??
post #292 of 4123 Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 PM

Can somebody who actually OWNS the D7000 tell me, how are the black levels compared to, say, other plasmas you've owned or seen?

Does it offer that really deep, inky black?

Would you say it's black level is better than the Panasonic 2010 G25???
post #293 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

Can somebody who actually OWNS the D7000 tell me, how are the black levels compared to, say, other plasmas you've owned or seen?

Does it offer that really deep, inky black?

Would you say it's black level is better than the Panasonic 2010 G25???

I'm more concerned if the blacks meet or beat the .007-.008 blacks that last years models could produce. As long as they can match them I will be happy.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #294 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I'm more concerned if the blacks meet or beat the .007-.008 blacks that last years models could produce. As long as they can match them I will be happy.

According to what i've read (disregarding the 51'' models, of course), almost everyone says they're darker, so you should stay hopeful.
post #295 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

According to what i've read (disregarding the 51'' models, of course), almost everyone says they're darker, so you should stay hopeful.

That is such a crock, why should people who have small living rooms suffer from worse performance of the same line of tv's!? No way in heck could I get away with a 59" tv, and its a little upsetting that I am stuck with an inferior black level compared to larger models.
post #296 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 AM
B0)

Quote:

So I've played around with my TV more, and have some thoughts.
[...]
I love that each input retains its own settings.
[...]

I did not realize this about the settings on each input. I am still thinking within the limitations of my previous 8yr old RPTV!

I was surprised with this same wobble in our 59" D7000. I am pretty sure that I installed the base correctly. Let us know if you see any difference in stability if you redo your base assembly. I might perform a wobble test at a local BB or Fry's.

The wobble I saw is sizable enough that I now do not want to buy or build a speaker shelf for my ~20lb. center. Maybe I could modify the DIY plans for a center speaker shelf (found elsewhere on AVSF)...
post #297 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post

That is such a crock, why should people who have small living rooms suffer from worse performance of the same line of tv's!? No way in heck could I get away with a 59" tv, and its a little upsetting that I am stuck with an inferior black level compared to larger models.

I was in a Best Buy this past week and saw a 51D7000 or 51D8000 on the wall (forgot which but it's the same panel for all intents and purposes). The black level was outstanding... better than any other set right around it.
post #298 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Just ordered a 59d7000, price dropped at Amazon that was too good to pass up. I have a question about streaming movies. Can this TV stream mkv movies right from my iMac? My iMac is wireless to my router. Concerned primarily about HD movies. I was planning on buying the WDTV live hub to hook to my AVR but if the TV can stream I won't have to. My set up is I have all devices hooked to AVR then HDMI to TV. Thanks for any input. I'll post in other samsung thread as well.
post #299 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Does anyone know if this tv supports audio return channel? I can't seem to get the TV to output the sound via HDMI to my Onkyo 608 when I'm using the Smart HUB. The manual says something about this TV not supporting Ethernet functionality thru HDMI. I was wondering if that had something to do with it?

I'm getting my TV mounted next week and I need to know if I just need to go ahead and get an optical cable for the audio out from the TV.

I have the 59d7000 and love it so far. Tron Legacy was awesome both for video and audio on my setup.
post #300 of 4123 Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSD View Post

Just ordered a 59d7000, price dropped at Amazon that was too good to pass up. I have a question about streaming movies. Can this TV stream mkv movies right from my iMac? My iMac is wireless to my router. Concerned primarily about HD movies. I was planning on buying the WDTV live hub to hook to my AVR but if the TV can stream I won't have to. My set up is I have all devices hooked to AVR then HDMI to TV. Thanks for any input. I'll post in other samsung thread as well.

My household is all Mac and I'm trying to do exactly that, but it's not easy finding a good DLNA server for Mac. I've heard suggestions, but none that work really well so far. My receiver should be able to stream FLAC files to as well but haven't been able to yet. I still need to pick one and tinker with the file formats of what I want to send.

I'm thinking of going the NAS route.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page