Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
updated to the 1014 FW and now my PlayStation blu-rays are really fuzzy. Should have just left it alone. But I can not....No way to go back is there?

The scariest words in the English language are:
"Hello, we're from the government, and we're here to help."

PS3 HDMI 1.4
GT50 3D 1080p Plasma HDTV
10' 1080P@60

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Well, I ordered my pn59d7000 November 28th, sold and shipped from Amazon.com. I received the TV yesterday delivered by Home Direct. They carried the TV into the house and down to my basement. They did not offer to unbox it and test it. I was super excited to unbox it and get it up and running after work last night. After opening the box, the first thing I noticed was that the stand did not seem to be in a secured location. I removed the stand and noticed that there was a fairly large dent in the corner of it. I thought no big deal, I'll just have them ship me a new stand as the tv will be wall mounted anyway. I proceeded to unbox the set and after removing the cloth paper covering, I found the front glass panel shattered. I contacted Amazon last night, but was unable to reach their large items department as it was after hours. I have to wait until after 10:00 a.m. CST today. I hope they will do something to satisfy this situation, I have purchased many things from Amazon and this is the first unfortunate experience I've had. Just thought I'd share my story, I can't wait to get a working version. I'm super excited to see this baby in action.
post #3153 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Question for the advanced guys, what are your thoughts on the Digital Noise and MPEG Noise Filters? Do they make a difference and do you recommend them for DTV viewing? Low, medium, or high? Thanks very much for your input on this.
post #3154 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Well, I'll call my calibrator (who was just here yesterday) an "advanced guy". His take was that there are purists out there who can't stand the idea of having any extra signal processing on, but really, leaving Digital Noise Filter on "Auto" might occasionally help some less-than-perfect signals and probably won't be a factor at all on anything else.
post #3155 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm a purist and leave that all off, of course I don't watch any SD where it may help more.
post #3156 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Man I am depressed with my set. The HDMI calibration setting in the Service Menu now says success but the hdmi black level defaults to normal when before it went to low. Now Normal looks like low with high dynamic contrast. the white is blinding white. HDMI black level low is incredibly crushed

Dont know what to do. I ran the checkerboard during hdmi calibration in service menu and it failed each time. Only running hdmi calibration in default settings allowed it to succeed

Normal HDMI black level on on direct tv has black crush and white is so damm bright. same with gaming.
post #3157 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Just got my PN51D7000 yesterday. Couple of questions reguarding setup. Is there a way to change the Input labels? On the TV:

HDMI1 ----

I want HDMI 1 to show Satellite not just dots.

Also, should I be using BD Wise? If not, why?
post #3158 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck33 View Post

Just got my PN51D7000 yesterday. Couple of questions reguarding setup. Is there a way to change the Input labels? On the TV:

HDMI1 ----

I want HDMI 1 to show Satellite not just dots.

Also, should I be using BD Wise? If not, why?

With input label highlighted, hit the tools button and there will be some additional choices. no custom labels though.
post #3159 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWRecords View Post

Well, I ordered my pn59d7000 November 28th, sold and shipped from Amazon.com. I received the TV yesterday delivered by Home Direct. They carried the TV into the house and down to my basement. They did not offer to unbox it and test it. I was super excited to unbox it and get it up and running after work last night. After opening the box, the first thing I noticed was that the stand did not seem to be in a secured location. I removed the stand and noticed that there was a fairly large dent in the corner of it. I thought no big deal, I'll just have them ship me a new stand as the tv will be wall mounted anyway. I proceeded to unbox the set and after removing the cloth paper covering, I found the front glass panel shattered. I contacted Amazon last night, but was unable to reach their large items department as it was after hours. I have to wait until after 10:00 a.m. CST today. I hope they will do something to satisfy this situation, I have purchased many things from Amazon and this is the first unfortunate experience I've had. Just thought I'd share my story, I can't wait to get a working version. I'm super excited to see this baby in action.

Awful. I'm very sorry to hear this.
I drove to a pc Richard 3 blocks from my house on labor day and refused to let them take it out of the store.
I handled everything

I hope this gets worked out for you quick. It an amazing tv man.
post #3160 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddsimpson View Post

I just got my first plasma and chose the 59D7000 and I love the PQ, especially compaired to my 47C7000 and my older Samsung LCD. I do notice the buzzing but on within a couple of foot (only when no sound is on) and the sound on this set beats any TV I have heard.

However, I am having a severe issue with a trailing/blurry image which is very noticable from cable, blu ray, and xbox (can not even play halo because it so bad). I have tried several different cables and just went out and bought a bluray monster cable and philips to try and get it to go away and it does not. I even tried a bluray with 24hz setting (on PS3) and CinemaSmooth (on tv) turned on and that makes everything worse. I even tried factory pic settings and cnet clibration settings and nothing helps.

Does anyone have any ideas????

Hi
I want to tell you that I also have experienced this
It's an awful thing, make ma whatever your watching unwatchable really

I've come to the conclusion that there are a cmfew factors at play causing this. ..

However I just want to say, that this is a educated guess on my end from watching a vast amount of material to try and recreate this issue and coming to the conclusion that this phenomenon is

1. Cable / Satellite Signal based issues
- I think the tv is so good that when you Watch material on it from a channel with not so great bandwidth for pumping out HD, the tv in its first few hundred hours seems to show you all the artifacts, all the limitations of the signal ( try watching HBO or NBC, I never encountered this on those channels )

2. Blu-Ray - low bit rate films
- The tv seems to also suffer in its initial few hundred hours from feeding less than high bit rate 1080p source material. In other words, poorly mastered or less than stellar Blu Rays out there. (try Avatar, or Tree Of Life, or LOTR) it seemed to not be an obvious issues with these discs...but, when I put my eyes right up to the tv even in those, i could faintly see it.

3. PS3 media files (MKV Based, mp4, m4v, M2TS or avi if you have to )
- when watching media off the Samsung usb ports or the PS3...I REALLY noticed this phenomenon. I believe that I because if the varying degree of quality in these types of files unless your watching an mkv mp4 or m2ts that is of great quality and usually large file size (4GB to 6GB FILE For a 2 hour movie)

IN THE end , I can tell you that I do not rub into this issue as much as I did now and I have had the tv for 4 months (500 hours)

Also, this did not seem to be a 24p or Cinema Smooth related issue. This is a source material issue

I can assure you, the Samsung pn59d7000 I have is just freaking amazing

Break it in, be understanding of it. and watch great content.
in a little While, these issues will subside.

That's my take, I could be wrong. But this is what I have found to be true.

FM
post #3161 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddsimpson View Post

I just got my first plasma and chose the 59D7000 and I love the PQ, especially compaired to my 47C7000 and my older Samsung LCD. I do notice the buzzing but on within a couple of foot (only when no sound is on) and the sound on this set beats any TV I have heard.

However, I am having a severe issue with a trailing/blurry image which is very noticable from cable, blu ray, and xbox (can not even play halo because it so bad). I have tried several different cables and just went out and bought a bluray monster cable and philips to try and get it to go away and it does not. I even tried a bluray with 24hz setting (on PS3) and CinemaSmooth (on tv) turned on and that makes everything worse. I even tried factory pic settings and cnet clibration settings and nothing helps.

Does anyone have any ideas????

Also Redd,
I wanted to state that I too am new to plasma's like yourself.
And when I first noticed this issue I came here and asked about it but no one could relate with my issue.

It was pretty devastating for a while to think my new plasma, which was amazing 70% of the time...,was having this "BLUR" issue where everything on the screen blurred when it moved.

It made me absolutely crazy man.

But then I researched it a bunch and came to realize that it was the nature of the plasma
That what i was expecting from it was an lcd/led type picture

But i relished in the beauty of plasma..,,
Forget lcd and led , this is the best.

Its that, and the source material and the break in period.

Once I knew this....all my devastation faded, because I then knew that the tv wasn't broken.

I don't know why you have taken such heat on this from some people.

But I know where you're coming from and again unjust want to assure you...,the plasma is a stellar device man.

We are new to it, the worst of it will go away.

I would also, by the way, until you get a very good calibration done after 200 hours ( do not use beat buy or geek squad , trust me)
You should plugin "Larry from RI" or "Zoyd" or "Buzz" or "TiVo HD" calibration settings to get a crazy good picture on your set
And turn off all auto settings
(personally I would also turn off cinema smooth and auto 1 and auto 2)

Keep the picture pure
And don't let images sit there too long to avoid burn in.

Fm
post #3162 of 4123 Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyros4 View Post

Question for the advanced guys, what are your thoughts on the Digital Noise and MPEG Noise Filters? Do they make a difference and do you recommend them for DTV viewing? Low, medium, or high? Thanks very much for your input on this.

Most of these image processing algorithms introduce input lag. Not good if you're a gamer.
post #3163 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM

helped my friend by the 51" model friday night. its a NICE tv. so i went and bought me the 64" model saturday my previous tv was a sammy plasma d650 (?) from a couple years ago and it was nice. no problems. but my wall had some extra space just begging to be filled up with more screen so i bit the bullet and made a buy. this thing is phenomenal. the RBF is really nice. dark deep blacks even with the lights on and it doesnt impact the brightness of the whites and other colors. ive got an older panasonic 42" that had some aggressive anti-reflective coating and i could tell it dulled some of the "pop" but at the time the room it was going in had bright windows and such so it was worth the trade-off. got a house now and this 64" beast is in the basement so i can control the light pretty well. looks great in the dark or with the lights on and drapes open.

i read through a large portion of this thread before hand and new what i was getting into. great input in here from everyone. buzzing is a non-issue for me. i can hear it if im up next to the tv or there is no sound playing and my house hvac isnt running. its certainly not noticeable in normal use. ive only had it a few days now but no noticeable brightness pops either. i dont watch hockey so maybe ill never notice it, lol. im just using the default "movie" settings and im quite pleased with the picture. ill try some of the settings provided here at avs once its broken in after a few weeks but its by no means bad as is.

btw, my tv is updated to 1014 firmware and ive not noticed any problems with the tivo output or my ps3 output. all good here.
post #3164 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Liked: 12
What should I do as far as firmware updates?

Just got a 7000 last week. Not sure what firmware I should be looking to install. Would love some advice.
post #3165 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlydismayed View Post

What should I do as far as firmware updates?

Just got a 7000 last week. Not sure what firmware I should be looking to install. Would love some advice.

I've only performed one update, from 1010 to 1013 (supposed to improve 3D performance). I can't be certain the firmware was to blame, but I have noticed more floating blacks since the upgrade.

I would recommend just leaving it as is, unless you have a specific need to update. They are on version 1014 now (only available via network connection), but I have not seen any explanation for this update. So far nobody appears to be complaining about it, so if you really want to update then I would suggest that you connect the set to the web and install 1014.
post #3166 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM

I recently purchased my PN59D7000 from Amazon. The picture is quality is STUNNING and I am very happy with the purchase with one fairly decent size "catch". When watching sports I will occassionally get what I can only describe as a "streak" across the t.v. which is usually bright pink (or red) in color. The streak tends to happen when there is allot of movement going on and it will last for a brief time (a second or so) and is a few inches in size creating a bright pink/red box that stretches across the screen.

I'm a "noob" with all of this stuff as it is actually my first HD set. Is this "normal" or is there something wrong with my set? I am currently using the suggested settings from CNET and I wasn't sure if that was possibly causing the issue. (i.e. for sports do I need to use something other than Movie mode to eliminate the streaks I am seeing).

Any/all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
post #3167 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

I've only performed one update, from 1010 to 1013 (supposed to improve 3D performance). I can't be certain the firmware was to blame, but I have noticed more floating blacks since the upgrade.

I would recommend just leaving it as is, unless you have a specific need to update. They are on version 1014 now (only available via network connection), but I have not seen any explanation for this update. So far nobody appears to be complaining about it, so if you really want to update then I would suggest that you connect the set to the web and install 1014.

I too have only updated once, and that was to go to 1013. TV works fine for me, so I'm not updating to 1014 unless I see a reason too.
post #3168 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Hi!

On hdtvtest they reviewed a tv from the d6900 series and found that it reproduces only half horizontal chroma resolution. Actually they write in their performance table:

"Luma/Chroma bandwidth (2D Blu-ray) | Full Luma, Chroma horizontally blurred".

the review does not discuss this finding any further ... Does anyone of you know for certain whether the d7000 has full vertical and horizontal chroma resolution. The d8000 series does.

Also, I haven't found any other review of the D7000 besides the on on CNET. Do you know of any more?

Thank you very much!
post #3169 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix View Post

updated to the 1014 FW and now my PlayStation blu-rays are really fuzzy. Should have just left it alone. But I can not....No way to go back is there?

Anybody!!!

The scariest words in the English language are:
"Hello, we're from the government, and we're here to help."

PS3 HDMI 1.4
GT50 3D 1080p Plasma HDTV
10' 1080P@60

post #3170 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Depends on how you watch it. Have you ever watched NHL GameCenter on a PS3? Have you ever played NHL 12 on it? Hockey is hockey... changing the amount of white ice and dark stands on the screen will change the brightness.

Need I record it?

IS there any video of this phenomenon? I just ordered a 64D7000 from Amazon over the weekend and now reading about these brightness pops I'm getting a little worried. Does it happen only when viewing very bright/light colors? Is the brightness level "popping" up or down?
post #3171 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post

Is the brightness level "popping" up or down?

Well, it fluctuates, but technically I think it goes up from default, then goes back down when need be.

I've tried recording video of this, but it doesn't really do the real thing any justice of what one sees when in front of the actual set.
post #3172 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Ill post some videos I took of this problem soon... i just have to get my number of posts up before i can post URLs aparently
post #3173 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

ok I should be able to post the videos after this one
post #3174 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM

I tried my best to capture the problem. As you can see from the videos, the camera tends to interpret the change in brightness with this weird jittery effect. The jitter only happens when looking at it through the camera.

The videos are rather short and don't give you much time to realize the fluctuating brightness so they are best viewed as QuickTime files with the loop function on.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-PF...ature=youtu.be

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHaw4...ature=youtu.be

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thtz6...ature=youtu.be

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NLG...ature=youtu.be
post #3175 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1lgoreTr0ut View Post

Hi!

On hdtvtest they reviewed a tv from the d6900 series and found that it reproduces only half horizontal chroma resolution. Actually they write in their performance table:

"Luma/Chroma bandwidth (2D Blu-ray) | Full Luma, Chroma horizontally blurred".

the review does not discuss this finding any further ... Does anyone of you know for certain whether the d7000 has full vertical and horizontal chroma resolution. The d8000 series does.

Also, I haven't found any other review of the D7000 besides the on on CNET. Do you know of any more?

Thank you very much!

check this out http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm
post #3176 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM

You can also find a review on 3d-tvbuyingguide.com.
post #3177 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlduprey View Post

I tried my best to capture the problem. As you can see from the videos, the camera tends to interpret the change in brightness with this weird jittery effect. The jitter only happens when looking at it through the camera.

The videos are rather short and don't give you much time to realize the fluctuating brightness so they are best viewed as QuickTime files with the loop function on.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-PF...ature=youtu.be

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHaw4...ature=youtu.be

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thtz6...ature=youtu.be

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NLG...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting them. As you said I'm finding it kind of hard to quantify how bad it is because of the effect the camera introduces. Hopefully it doesn't bother me too much but if it does at least I know a return will be no hassle with Amazon.
post #3178 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by clw22580 View Post

I recently purchased my PN59D7000 from Amazon. The picture is quality is STUNNING and I am very happy with the purchase with one fairly decent size "catch". When watching sports I will occassionally get what I can only describe as a "streak" across the t.v. which is usually bright pink (or red) in color. The streak tends to happen when there is allot of movement going on and it will last for a brief time (a second or so) and is a few inches in size creating a bright pink/red box that stretches across the screen.

I'm a "noob" with all of this stuff as it is actually my first HD set. Is this "normal" or is there something wrong with my set? I am currently using the suggested settings from CNET and I wasn't sure if that was possibly causing the issue. (i.e. for sports do I need to use something other than Movie mode to eliminate the streaks I am seeing).

Any/all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

When my set was new back in August, I did have some trailing but it went away after about a week. I think because it was breaking in.

If you continue to see this for 2 more weeks, there may be something. Make sure all enhancements are off, but you did say you are using CNet settings.

The source could be the issue too, especially if you use cable. Compression on cable is much worse than my DirecTV with MPEG 4 compression.
post #3179 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 PM

My replacement PN59D7000 arrived from Amazon today. The part of the stand that joins the base to the TV came with one of the top tabs broken off, which is annoying but not worth fussing about.

To other owners: I'm seeing a noticeable horizontal band-like reflection on dark screens. I can see reflections of the light behind me, but with soft, dark, horizontal bands (in the reflection). I don't remember seeing this on my first unit -- I'm thinking it must be the Real Black Filter (RBF) but I don't know if it's normal. Thoughts? I would try to take a photo but it doesn't photograph well.
post #3180 of 4123 Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 PM

@fathermurphy thank you for the info. So right now do you still see the issue or are you just use to the issue now? Also I uploaded a new video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWp-voUcTLY which shows the issue a little bit better. Added a huge info section to the first video.

I also finally gotten the chance to try all of source material (newly explained in original video info) on my UN46D7100 (LED with all motion settings off) and I got the exact same results which I thought PDP was supposed to be a lot smoother than this....

I got 2 weeks to try and get smooth game play as it unbearable and my fam came over and could not even watch because it so blurring, so I may switch to the UN55D7000 which the Judder settings actually made a hude difference and I noticed no lag in BF3 or any game.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page