AVS Forum banner
525K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  lucidsoul5 
#1 ·
D7000 Series PDP (exclusive to American market)
  • Same 1080P panel and Real Black (anti-glare) Filter as D8000
  • Crystal Full HD video processing engine (omitting LCE circuit) w/ Cinema Smooth (4:4 pulldown).
  • 1080P 3D / 2D-to-3D upconversion / bluetooth-syncing active glasses
  • Smart TV (Samsung Apps, universal search) w/o web browser
  • Built-in Wi-Fi connection
  • Audio out via TOSLINK (no ARC support)
  • Backlit remote (touchscreen and QWERTY remotes sold separately)
  • Advanced calibration options (2- and 10-pt grayscale, 3D CMS, gamma adjustments available from user menu)
  • Brushed metal Touch of Color design (Dark Platinum) with Titan square stand

Samsung PN51D7000: 51-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Samsung PN59D7000: 59-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Samsung PN64D7000: 64-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Further details and a features comparison matrix can be found in the Samsung 2011 Plasma Lineup Thread.

Reviews
CNET - PN59D7000
CNET - Panasonic TC-PVT30 vs. Samsung PND7000/8000: Which is the best TV of 2011 (so far)?

Manuals / FirmwareSuggested Settings / Tweaks
  • Samsung TV's display the most accurate picture using the MOVIE preset and Warm2 color tone. Disable all eco solution / motion lighting / dynamic contrast / black tone / noise filter enhancements. For a bright picture, expect to dial up Cell Light (17-20; sets light output without raising black level) and Contrast (~90). Dial down Sharpness from the default value and use Screen Fit to ensure 1:1 pixel mapping (note this disables the pixel shift function). Consult the Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread for representative settings.
  • Set Film Mode to off (i.e., disengage Cinema Smooth to apply 3:2 pulldown) for 1080p24 material to obtain the deepest black level. Disabling Cinema Smooth also reduces APL-related brightness/gamma fluctuations.
  • Set Film Mode to Auto1 to correctly de-interlace 480i/1080i, film-based, signals. The set will automatically switch the Film Mode as needed depending on the source. Auto 2 is meant to be applied to mixed film and video content (e.g., film with an overlaid scrolling text ticker).
  • To unlock CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT picture presets follow these instructions . Note that after exiting the service menu, your current settings will revert to factory default. The CAL presets need to calibrated independently of MOVIE, which is generally more accurate to begin with. Note two bugs: 1) 3D functionality may be impaired within the CAL presets; 2) Gamma shifts / dithering noise may occur after exiting from Smart Hub. This can be resolved by toggling between the MOVIE and CAL presets.
  • To adjust picture/sound settings within apps/AllShare, select the TOOLS button on the remote, or select MENU from the Smart Hub home screen.
  • Samsung remote available on
    and Android devices.
  • Attempt a factory reset via the service menu or by holding down the remote's EXIT button for 15 sec if you observe the picture dimming in stepped intervals. One of the eco options may be stuck in the ON position.

Port Layout / Remote / 3D Glasses

------------------------------------------------------------

My PN59D7000 was delivered this morning -- a replacement for my 58C7000 by Samsung (Netflix blinks and a stuck pixel).

Some quick comments...

- Unlike the C-series 58/63" models, the stand did not come attached. It sits more snuggly in the packaging than I recall my C7000 did -- might reduce incidents of cracked panels during shipment.

- RBF mitigates glare at the expense of more focused reflections. Screen has a more purple appearance in daylight. Maintains contrast exceptionally well under lights.

- The bezel/stand are not metallic black, but a dark metallic bronze. The styling looks more upscale vs the C7000's matte plastic bezel, but it obviously reflects more and might not match your other components (color or lustre).

- Buzz on this display is reduced relative to my C7000, but I didn't find it to be an issue on that set either.

I will post some more qualitative observations after playing around with the set.

See less See more
#3,154 ·
Well, I'll call my calibrator (who was just here yesterday) an "advanced guy". His take was that there are purists out there who can't stand the idea of having any extra signal processing on, but really, leaving Digital Noise Filter on "Auto" might occasionally help some less-than-perfect signals and probably won't be a factor at all on anything else.

#3,156 ·
Man I am depressed with my set. The HDMI calibration setting in the Service Menu now says success but the hdmi black level defaults to normal when before it went to low. Now Normal looks like low with high dynamic contrast. the white is blinding white. HDMI black level low is incredibly crushed

Dont know what to do. I ran the checkerboard during hdmi calibration in service menu and it failed each time. Only running hdmi calibration in default settings allowed it to succeed

Normal HDMI black level on on direct tv has black crush and white is so damm bright. same with gaming.

#3,158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck33 /forum/post/21329300

Just got my PN51D7000 yesterday. Couple of questions reguarding setup. Is there a way to change the Input labels? On the TV:

HDMI1 ----

I want HDMI 1 to show Satellite not just dots.

Also, should I be using BD Wise? If not, why?

With input label highlighted, hit the tools button and there will be some additional choices. no custom labels though.

#3,159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWRecords /forum/post/0

Well, I ordered my pn59d7000 November 28th, sold and shipped from Amazon.com. I received the TV yesterday delivered by Home Direct. They carried the TV into the house and down to my basement. They did not offer to unbox it and test it. I was super excited to unbox it and get it up and running after work last night. After opening the box, the first thing I noticed was that the stand did not seem to be in a secured location. I removed the stand and noticed that there was a fairly large dent in the corner of it. I thought no big deal, I'll just have them ship me a new stand as the tv will be wall mounted anyway. I proceeded to unbox the set and after removing the cloth paper covering, I found the front glass panel shattered. I contacted Amazon last night, but was unable to reach their large items department as it was after hours. I have to wait until after 10:00 a.m. CST today. I hope they will do something to satisfy this situation, I have purchased many things from Amazon and this is the first unfortunate experience I've had. Just thought I'd share my story, I can't wait to get a working version. I'm super excited to see this baby in action.

Awful. I'm very sorry to hear this.

I drove to a pc Richard 3 blocks from my house on labor day and refused to let them take it out of the store.

I handled everything

I hope this gets worked out for you quick. It an amazing tv man.

#3,160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddsimpson /forum/post/0

I just got my first plasma and chose the 59D7000 and I love the PQ, especially compaired to my 47C7000 and my older Samsung LCD. I do notice the buzzing but on within a couple of foot (only when no sound is on) and the sound on this set beats any TV I have heard.

However, I am having a severe issue with a trailing/blurry image which is very noticable from cable, blu ray, and xbox (can not even play halo because it so bad). I have tried several different cables and just went out and bought a bluray monster cable and philips to try and get it to go away and it does not. I even tried a bluray with 24hz setting (on PS3) and CinemaSmooth (on tv) turned on and that makes everything worse. I even tried factory pic settings and cnet clibration settings and nothing helps.

Does anyone have any ideas????

Hi

I want to tell you that I also have experienced this

It's an awful thing, make ma whatever your watching unwatchable really

I've come to the conclusion that there are a cmfew factors at play causing this. ..

However I just want to say, that this is a educated guess on my end from watching a vast amount of material to try and recreate this issue and coming to the conclusion that this phenomenon is

1. Cable / Satellite Signal based issues

- I think the tv is so good that when you Watch material on it from a channel with not so great bandwidth for pumping out HD, the tv in its first few hundred hours seems to show you all the artifacts, all the limitations of the signal ( try watching HBO or NBC, I never encountered this on those channels )

2. Blu-Ray - low bit rate films

- The tv seems to also suffer in its initial few hundred hours from feeding less than high bit rate 1080p source material. In other words, poorly mastered or less than stellar Blu Rays out there. (try Avatar, or Tree Of Life, or LOTR) it seemed to not be an obvious issues with these discs...but, when I put my eyes right up to the tv even in those, i could faintly see it.

3. PS3 media files (MKV Based, mp4, m4v, M2TS or avi if you have to )

- when watching media off the Samsung usb ports or the PS3...I REALLY noticed this phenomenon. I believe that I because if the varying degree of quality in these types of files unless your watching an mkv mp4 or m2ts that is of great quality and usually large file size (4GB to 6GB FILE For a 2 hour movie)

IN THE end , I can tell you that I do not rub into this issue as much as I did now and I have had the tv for 4 months (500 hours)

Also, this did not seem to be a 24p or Cinema Smooth related issue. This is a source material issue

I can assure you, the Samsung pn59d7000 I have is just freaking amazing

Break it in, be understanding of it. and watch great content.

in a little While, these issues will subside.

That's my take, I could be wrong. But this is what I have found to be true.

FM

#3,161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddsimpson /forum/post/0

I just got my first plasma and chose the 59D7000 and I love the PQ, especially compaired to my 47C7000 and my older Samsung LCD. I do notice the buzzing but on within a couple of foot (only when no sound is on) and the sound on this set beats any TV I have heard.

However, I am having a severe issue with a trailing/blurry image which is very noticable from cable, blu ray, and xbox (can not even play halo because it so bad). I have tried several different cables and just went out and bought a bluray monster cable and philips to try and get it to go away and it does not. I even tried a bluray with 24hz setting (on PS3) and CinemaSmooth (on tv) turned on and that makes everything worse. I even tried factory pic settings and cnet clibration settings and nothing helps.

Does anyone have any ideas????

Also Redd,

I wanted to state that I too am new to plasma's like yourself.

And when I first noticed this issue I came here and asked about it but no one could relate with my issue.

It was pretty devastating for a while to think my new plasma, which was amazing 70% of the time...,was having this "BLUR" issue where everything on the screen blurred when it moved.

It made me absolutely crazy man.

But then I researched it a bunch and came to realize that it was the nature of the plasma

That what i was expecting from it was an lcd/led type picture

But i relished in the beauty of plasma..,,

Forget lcd and led , this is the best.

Its that, and the source material and the break in period.

Once I knew this....all my devastation faded, because I then knew that the tv wasn't broken.

I don't know why you have taken such heat on this from some people.

But I know where you're coming from and again unjust want to assure you...,the plasma is a stellar device man.

We are new to it, the worst of it will go away.

I would also, by the way, until you get a very good calibration done after 200 hours ( do not use beat buy or geek squad , trust me)

You should plugin "Larry from RI" or "Zoyd" or "Buzz" or "TiVo HD" calibration settings to get a crazy good picture on your set

And turn off all auto settings

(personally I would also turn off cinema smooth and auto 1 and auto 2)

Keep the picture pure

And don't let images sit there too long to avoid burn in.

Fm

#3,162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyros4 /forum/post/21328778

Question for the advanced guys, what are your thoughts on the Digital Noise and MPEG Noise Filters? Do they make a difference and do you recommend them for DTV viewing? Low, medium, or high? Thanks very much for your input on this.

Most of these image processing algorithms introduce input lag. Not good if you're a gamer.

#3,163 ·
helped my friend by the 51" model friday night. its a NICE tv. so i went and bought me the 64" model saturday
my previous tv was a sammy plasma d650 (?) from a couple years ago and it was nice. no problems. but my wall had some extra space just begging to be filled up with more screen so i bit the bullet and made a buy. this thing is phenomenal. the RBF is really nice. dark deep blacks even with the lights on and it doesnt impact the brightness of the whites and other colors. ive got an older panasonic 42" that had some aggressive anti-reflective coating and i could tell it dulled some of the "pop" but at the time the room it was going in had bright windows and such so it was worth the trade-off. got a house now and this 64" beast is in the basement so i can control the light pretty well. looks great in the dark or with the lights on and drapes open.

i read through a large portion of this thread before hand and new what i was getting into. great input in here from everyone. buzzing is a non-issue for me. i can hear it if im up next to the tv or there is no sound playing and my house hvac isnt running. its certainly not noticeable in normal use. ive only had it a few days now but no noticeable brightness pops either. i dont watch hockey so maybe ill never notice it, lol. im just using the default "movie" settings and im quite pleased with the picture. ill try some of the settings provided here at avs once its broken in after a few weeks but its by no means bad as is.

btw, my tv is updated to 1014 firmware and ive not noticed any problems with the tivo output or my ps3 output. all good here.

#3,165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlydismayed /forum/post/21336119

What should I do as far as firmware updates?

Just got a 7000 last week. Not sure what firmware I should be looking to install. Would love some advice.

I've only performed one update, from 1010 to 1013 (supposed to improve 3D performance). I can't be certain the firmware was to blame, but I have noticed more floating blacks since the upgrade.

I would recommend just leaving it as is, unless you have a specific need to update. They are on version 1014 now (only available via network connection), but I have not seen any explanation for this update. So far nobody appears to be complaining about it, so if you really want to update then I would suggest that you connect the set to the web and install 1014.

#3,166 ·
I recently purchased my PN59D7000 from Amazon. The picture is quality is STUNNING and I am very happy with the purchase with one fairly decent size "catch". When watching sports I will occassionally get what I can only describe as a "streak" across the t.v. which is usually bright pink (or red) in color. The streak tends to happen when there is allot of movement going on and it will last for a brief time (a second or so) and is a few inches in size creating a bright pink/red box that stretches across the screen.

I'm a "noob" with all of this stuff as it is actually my first HD set. Is this "normal" or is there something wrong with my set? I am currently using the suggested settings from CNET and I wasn't sure if that was possibly causing the issue. (i.e. for sports do I need to use something other than Movie mode to eliminate the streaks I am seeing).

Any/all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#3,167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker /forum/post/21337222

I've only performed one update, from 1010 to 1013 (supposed to improve 3D performance). I can't be certain the firmware was to blame, but I have noticed more floating blacks since the upgrade.

I would recommend just leaving it as is, unless you have a specific need to update. They are on version 1014 now (only available via network connection), but I have not seen any explanation for this update. So far nobody appears to be complaining about it, so if you really want to update then I would suggest that you connect the set to the web and install 1014.

I too have only updated once, and that was to go to 1013. TV works fine for me, so I'm not updating to 1014 unless I see a reason too.

#3,168 ·
Hi!

On hdtvtest they reviewed a tv from the d6900 series and found that it reproduces only half horizontal chroma resolution. Actually they write in their performance table:

"Luma/Chroma bandwidth (2D Blu-ray) | Full Luma, Chroma horizontally blurred".

the review does not discuss this finding any further ... Does anyone of you know for certain whether the d7000 has full vertical and horizontal chroma resolution. The d8000 series does.

Also, I haven't found any other review of the D7000 besides the on on CNET. Do you know of any more?

Thank you very much!

#3,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix /forum/post/21328028

updated to the 1014 FW and now my PlayStation blu-rays are really fuzzy. Should have just left it alone. But I can not....No way to go back is there?

Anybody!!!

#3,170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin /forum/post/21305430

Depends on how you watch it. Have you ever watched NHL GameCenter on a PS3? Have you ever played NHL 12 on it? Hockey is hockey... changing the amount of white ice and dark stands on the screen will change the brightness.

Need I record it?

IS there any video of this phenomenon? I just ordered a 64D7000 from Amazon over the weekend and now reading about these brightness pops I'm getting a little worried. Does it happen only when viewing very bright/light colors? Is the brightness level "popping" up or down?

#3,171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 /forum/post/21338142

Is the brightness level "popping" up or down?

Well, it fluctuates, but technically I think it goes up from default, then goes back down when need be.

I've tried recording video of this, but it doesn't really do the real thing any justice of what one sees when in front of the actual set.

#3,174 ·
I tried my best to capture the problem. As you can see from the videos, the camera tends to interpret the change in brightness with this weird jittery effect. The jitter only happens when looking at it through the camera.

The videos are rather short and don't give you much time to realize the fluctuating brightness so they are best viewed as QuickTime files with the loop function on.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-PF...ature=youtu.be

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHaw4...ature=youtu.be

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thtz6...ature=youtu.be

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NLG...ature=youtu.be

#3,175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1lgoreTr0ut /forum/post/21337635

Hi!

On hdtvtest they reviewed a tv from the d6900 series and found that it reproduces only half horizontal chroma resolution. Actually they write in their performance table:

"Luma/Chroma bandwidth (2D Blu-ray) | Full Luma, Chroma horizontally blurred".

the review does not discuss this finding any further ... Does anyone of you know for certain whether the d7000 has full vertical and horizontal chroma resolution. The d8000 series does.

Also, I haven't found any other review of the D7000 besides the on on CNET. Do you know of any more?

Thank you very much!

check this out http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

#3,177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlduprey /forum/post/21338489

I tried my best to capture the problem. As you can see from the videos, the camera tends to interpret the change in brightness with this weird jittery effect. The jitter only happens when looking at it through the camera.

The videos are rather short and don't give you much time to realize the fluctuating brightness so they are best viewed as QuickTime files with the loop function on.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-PF...ature=youtu.be

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHaw4...ature=youtu.be

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thtz6...ature=youtu.be

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NLG...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting them. As you said I'm finding it kind of hard to quantify how bad it is because of the effect the camera introduces. Hopefully it doesn't bother me too much but if it does at least I know a return will be no hassle with Amazon.

#3,178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clw22580 /forum/post/0

I recently purchased my PN59D7000 from Amazon. The picture is quality is STUNNING and I am very happy with the purchase with one fairly decent size "catch". When watching sports I will occassionally get what I can only describe as a "streak" across the t.v. which is usually bright pink (or red) in color. The streak tends to happen when there is allot of movement going on and it will last for a brief time (a second or so) and is a few inches in size creating a bright pink/red box that stretches across the screen.

I'm a "noob" with all of this stuff as it is actually my first HD set. Is this "normal" or is there something wrong with my set? I am currently using the suggested settings from CNET and I wasn't sure if that was possibly causing the issue. (i.e. for sports do I need to use something other than Movie mode to eliminate the streaks I am seeing).

Any/all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

When my set was new back in August, I did have some trailing but it went away after about a week. I think because it was breaking in.

If you continue to see this for 2 more weeks, there may be something. Make sure all enhancements are off, but you did say you are using CNet settings.

The source could be the issue too, especially if you use cable. Compression on cable is much worse than my DirecTV with MPEG 4 compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.