Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

Wow, sorry to hear that. I had no issue with the upgrade. Try a factory reset (hold EXIT button down for 15 sec).

I had no issues either. Is there a link to somewhere that explains what changes were made?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Wow, sorry to hear that. I had no issue with the upgrade. Try a factory reset (hold EXIT button down for 15 sec).

I see this is also prevalent among other owners on the 2011 general Samsung plasma forum. Koffas, am I correct in thinking one must first enable internet capability on the TV for it to notify of a F/W or software download? Mine will be delivered soon, and I'd like to be sure I can defeat it from attempting anything until this update thing calms down. I'm checking the e-manual next.
post #363 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post

I had no issues either. Is there a link to somewhere that explains what changes were made?

Nope. In 2010, the US Samsung site did a poor job of listing the release notes. But you could get the info from Samsung Canada. TVs are apparently still too new for either website. I just see the Explore 3D app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacks84 View Post

I see this is also prevalent among other owners on the 2011 general Samsung plasma forum. Koffas, am I correct in thinking one must first enable internet capability on the TV for it to notify of a F/W or software download? Mine will be delivered soon, and I'd like to be sure I can defeat it from attempting anything until this update thing calms down. I'm checking the e-manual next.

Yup, you need to enable a wired/wireless internet connection. I think it's a good idea to disable the "standby mode upgrade" option so a family member doesn't inadvertently install the f/w when prompted by the TV.
post #364 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM

So after reading the e-manual, I think I will definitely not activate the TV's network features so I can control updating through using an intentional USB update. I'd rather wait till things settle down seeing this is still such a new TV. Better safe than bricked.
post #365 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Does it matter which HDMI input selected to use ARC? I can't seem to get any sound to my ARC compliant receiver.

It DOES have ARC right? I see no mention of it on any inputs, nothing about in in the weak e-manual, no solutions to earlier posts, and at Samsungs troubleshooting page it only lists optical as an option for digital audio out (though that site is filled with errors).

Now I am starting to wonder why I even thought the PN64D7000 even has ARC. Please tell me I didn't just assume.
post #366 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Last year's 7000s had HDMI input #2 labeled "2(ARC)" on the back of the set.

Did you look at the lables for that?

Quote:

Does it matter which HDMI input selected to use ARC? I can't seem to get any sound to my ARC compliant receiver.

It DOES have ARC right? I see no mention of it on any inputs, nothing about in in the weak e-manual, no solutions to earlier posts, and at Samsungs troubleshooting page it only lists optical as an option for digital audio out (though that site is filled with errors).

Now I am starting to wonder why I even thought the PN64D7000 even has ARC. Please tell me I didn't just assume.

buytme
post #367 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Last year's 7000s had HDMI input #2 labeled "2(ARC)" on the back of the set.

Did you look at the lables for that?

Yes, I checked on and around the HDMI ports and labels carefully and see no mention of ARC. I am attaching two pics from my iPad so the quality isn't great.

Update: According to Samsung Live Support the D7000 doesn't support ARC, but the D8000 does.

I wish I knew this difference when deciding to go with the D7000, though I am not sure it alone would have made a difference. It makes me wonder what else is in the D8000 that I assumed is on the D7000. Pretty disappointing.
LL
LL
post #368 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Yes, I checked on and around the HDMI ports and labels carefully and see no mention of ARC. I am attaching two pics from my iPad so the quality isn't great.

Update: According to Samsung Live Support the D7000 doesn't support ARC, but the D8000 does.

I wish I knew this difference when deciding to go with the D7000, though I am not sure it alone would have made a difference. It makes me wonder what else is in the D8000 that I assumed is on the D7000. Pretty disappointing.

Sorry that feature is not included on this model. Hopefully the rest of the tv will not disappoint. Also thanks for the pics. I can find no good pics of the back of this tv anywhere.
post #369 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1 View Post

Sorry that feature is not included on this model. Hopefully the rest of the tv will not disappoint. Also thanks for the pics. I can find no good pics of the back of this tv anywhere.

No, other than Samsung.com lack of info, difficulty with buying app cash, and now this I am actually very happy with it. all I cared about was 2D picture quality and I am satisfied with that, and am learning that I like having 3D a lot which is a surprise.
post #370 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't have any effect.

I just received a call from a local Samsung contractor and he said that he's just going to order a new motherboard for the unit... Pretty crazy. Seemed like such an innocent little update, too!
post #371 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysmns View Post

I just received a call from a local Samsung contractor and he said that he's just going to order a new motherboard for the unit... Pretty crazy. Seemed like such an innocent little update, too!

I just had the same issue with my PN59D6500. Wish I had read this thread before I accepted the firmware update. I'm also waiting on a technician. I really hope this doesn't require me to be without a TV for ages.

Anyone know if the set could be returned to Best Buy for this issue? I would think I could just say I received it out of the box like this and hadn't had time to make it in yet to exchange it (just bought it on 4/10). Unfortunately the nearest Best Buy that has it in stock is about an hour away and I'd have to bug a friend to help me haul it again since there is no way it will fit in my car.
post #372 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 PM

seems like these tvs are junk first the brightness issues and now the firmware bricks wtf? i have my 59D7000 coming Friday.
post #373 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post

seems like these tvs are junk first the brightness issues and now the firmware bricks wtf? i have my 59D7000 coming Friday.

Don't sweat it! Yours will be perfect. Think positive
post #374 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyteFly View Post

Don't sweat it! Yours will be perfect. Think positive

i am just nervous after reading everything here. at least i learned not to do the update and hopefully holding the exit button for 15 seconds solves the brightness issue?
post #375 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysmns View Post

If you wouldn't mind, please post any info on the firmware update problem at this thread. You are not alone.

#include stdsig.h
post #376 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:

No, other than Samsung.com lack of info, difficulty with buying app cash, and now this I am actually very happy with it. all I cared about was 2D picture quality and I am satisfied with that, and am learning that I like having 3D a lot which is a surprise.

I feel the same way and am not really concerned with the 3d. I wear glasses
and one eye is weaker than the other so the effect I think is kinda wasted for me. I only tried it at the local BB for a little while. Maybe if I get this model it will be better at home after some tweaking.
post #377 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Just got the PN64D7000.

Initial report:

"Wow, the PQ on this thing is stunning", I exclaimed. One of the best TV's I've seen in person, without a doubt. I quickly went to HD video after HD video admiring the finer details and rich, inky blacks. Unfortunately however my happiness abruptly came to a halt.

The brightness began dimming.

For those who don't understand, this TV's brightness, randomly and seemingly without reason, will dim to an absurd level, completely disturbing anything you're watching. All Eco settings out of the box were off, and so was the Motion Control setting, which I suspected was the other setting which had the ability to regulate on-the-fly brightness.

Fix thus far: I've been watching the TV for about an hour now with NO dimming.

1.) I reset to factory settings (As others have noted, hold exit for a few seconds, then press "OK")
2.) Went to 'Eco Settings' and then turned off 'Eco Sensor'.
3.) In picture settings I also turned off 'Motion Control' which was also on by default.

Oddly enough, even though they had both been off initially, turning them off after doing a factory reset has seemingly fixed things.

I'll update when I know more.
post #378 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:

FYI - I just saw this in another thread. Apparently ARC is only available on the D8000!!!! What is Samsung thinking?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=803
post #379 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

Just got the PN64D7000.

Initial report:

"Wow, the PQ on this thing is stunning", I exclaimed. One of the best TV's I've seen in person, without a doubt. I quickly went to HD video after HD video admiring the finer details and rich, inky blacks. Unfortunately however my happiness abruptly came to a halt.

The brightness began dimming.

For those who don't understand, this TV's brightness, randomly and seemingly without reason, will dim to an absurd level, completely disturbing anything you're watching. All Eco settings out of the box were off, and so was the Motion Control setting, which I suspected was the other setting which had the ability to regulate on-the-fly brightness.

Fix thus far: I've been watching the TV for about an hour now with NO dimming.

1.) I reset to factory settings (As others have noted, hold exit for a few seconds, then press "OK")
2.) Went to 'Eco Settings' and then turned off 'Eco Sensor'.
3.) In picture settings I also turned off 'Motion Control' which was also on by default.

Oddly enough, even though they had both been off initially, turning them off after doing a factory reset has seemingly fixed things.

I'll update when I know more.

I experienced these same random contrast shifts only after messing around with the settings. It is a bit annoying. Fairly large shifts in the contrast. I'm sure it didn't do it the first few days I had the tv (before I messed with it). All the auto-brightness stuff is off, so I'm stumped right now. I guess a reset will be in order.

#include stdsig.h
post #380 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Hey, I'm looking at getting this TV but it seems the input specs are different on every website I visit...

Bestbuy.com says 4 HDMI, 2 Component, *0 Composite*, 1 VGA...
Crutchfield.com says "4 HDMI, 1 Component (selectable component/composite)...

The live chat tech support on samsung.com said "4 HDMI, 2 Component, 2 Composite, 1 S-Video and 1 VGA"

Can anyone confirm the tech support is correct? I can't believe Bestbuy saying theres no composite inputs..
post #381 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

Hey, I'm looking at getting this TV but it seems the input specs are different on every website I visit...

The live chat tech support on samsung.com said "4 HDMI, 2 Component, 2 Composite, 1 S-Video and 1 VGA"

Can anyone confirm the tech support is correct? I can't believe Bestbuy saying theres no composite inputs..

4 HDMI, 1 Component/Composite, 1 VGA
post #382 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassedPawn View Post

I experienced these same random contrast shifts only after messing around with the settings. It is a bit annoying. Fairly large shifts in the contrast. I'm sure it didn't do it the first few days I had the tv (before I messed with it). All the auto-brightness stuff is off, so I'm stumped right now. I guess a reset will be in order.

I don't think this is a "contrast shift". The problem is the dimming of the brightness. Unless they are linked in some way, but I thought they were different things.
post #383 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

There is a VGA, and component. Because the tv is thin, there is an odd cable assembly that translates their tiny tiny component connector the the standard RGB and Audio L/R. And, there 4 hdmi.

#include stdsig.h
post #384 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage00 View Post

4 HDMI, 1 Component/Composite, 1 VGA

Thanks, so Crutchfield.com was correct...I didn't realize component/composite could even be inter-compatible like that

edit:
Quote:

There is a VGA, and component. Because the tv is thin, there is an odd cable assembly that translates their tiny tiny component connector the the standard RGB and Audio L/R. And, there 4 hdmi.

ohhh ok cool thx
post #385 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

I don't think this is a "contrast shift". The problem is the dimming of the brightness. Unless they are linked in some way, but I thought they were different things.

To my eyes this was affecting the whites, not the blacks. In fact, I'd say it's that "cell power" or whatever that setting was. Looks like an odd power supply thing and not a picture setting. It is very annoying. If my tv worked right now (different, but much more pressing topic) I'd go check it out right now.

#include stdsig.h
post #386 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Speaking of I/O on this TV, is there a standard stereo (red/white) output? Or is audio output only provided via the optical jack?
post #387 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

To my eyes this was affecting the whites, not the blacks. In fact, I'd say it's that "cell power" or whatever that setting was. Looks like an odd power supply thing and not a picture setting. It is very annoying. If my tv worked right now (different, but much more pressing topic) I'd go check it out right now.

Not only did my whites dim, but my entire screen dimmed. And, actually, upon further observation, on some videos it STILL dims (even after my "fix"). However, on others it doesn't.

This is highly annoying, you're right. Try the factory reset and let me know what your findings are.

By the way, what is the more pressing problem?
post #388 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditws6 View Post

Speaking of I/O on this TV, is there a standard stereo (red/white) output? Or is audio output only provided via the optical jack?

From memory, the only audio output was a Toslink optical output. I am using it and it works fine. The plastic bezel of my connector fell off and went somewhere that will be never discovered, so I have to tape my cable to the back of the TV. Not the worst thing that's happened, so i won't dwell on that.

#include stdsig.h
post #389 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:

From memory, the only audio output was a Toslink optical output. I am using it and it works fine. The plastic bezel of my connector fell off and went somewhere that will be never discovered, so I have to tape my cable to the back of the TV. Not the worst thing that's happened, so i won't dwell on that.

Regarding it not being the worst thing, I should say not -- what with today's firmware debacle.

Thanks for the info about the audio output. It's only relevant to me because I've got a set of Sennheiser wireless headphones that are fed by typical analog audio out. Looks like I'll run them from my receiver instead.
post #390 of 4123 Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM

should i get the 59" 8000 or the 64" 7000 or neither since you guys are having issues
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page