post #3871 of 4127 Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post

...Is there a fix for this? I'm outside my 14 day return policy with my seller. Do I have any options if I call for warranty repair?

I love the picture quality, but the buzzing is putting a bit of a damper on my user experience.

Yeah, the only thing that might help is reducing brightness. I found that tilting my panel towards the couch (by propping the stand 1/2 to 1 inch in the back) greatly reduces the noise, but that may not be practical for you.

If it is audible over the TV speaker from more than 10 feet or so, and you are persistant, you might be able to get them to swap your panel. Just report the problem to Samsung, go through the troubleshooting and then they will let you file a service request. There was one person in this thread who reported that repair did in fact fix the buzz, but I think he may have been lucky. Seems it is still a luck of the draw situation, so you could potentially end up with something louder (that has also been reported after a panel swap).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4127 Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. I see lots of picture setting options in the menu, someone mentioned brightness affecting the degree of buzz. Are there any other settings that are known to cause increased or decreased buzzing?
post #3873 of 4127 Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Cell Light, Contrast and Brightness are the only ones (these will affect the peak white output). If you plan to do a lot of experimenting, I would suggest using a basic test disc to keep those three in check.
post #3874 of 4127 Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Hello-

I just bought an 60 inch ST30. I think the picture is beautiful, but the set is a bit dimmer than I thought and it is incredibly reflective--I am coming from a matte screen (DLP).

I know this is kind of late in the game, but what color is the stand for the PN59D7000? Is it black or silver?

Also, does the anti glare filter in the Samsung work better than the Panasonic Louver filter in the ST30. and is the set noticeably brighter than the ST30?

I do like the ST30, but just want to see if the PN59D7000 addresses my glare and brightness concerns better than the ST30.
post #3875 of 4127 Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Had this set for 24hrs now and really like it, but I do have some quibbles. Here are my thoughts.

1. I did the logic board update immediately, so I don't know if it had problems with brightness pops or not. It doesn't now, so that's what's important.

2. PQ is light years ahead of my old 50" HP plasma I replaced, and better than the Sharp 60" LED I had for a few days and returned recently.

3. That buzzing is really annoying. It's also strange that if I move my head slightly, it goes away completely.

4. I'm severely miffed that HBO Go is not available for this TV. It's available for the D8000 plasmas, all 2011 LED TV's, and apparently all 2010 LED and Plasmas I've asked both parties and yet to get a credible answer as to why most 2011 SMART TV plasmas are not supported.
post #3876 of 4127 Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HOw are the Whites on the 7000? are they soft typical Plasma white , or has Sammy tightened em' up a bit?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #3877 of 4127 Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 AM

Well, I've had my set for two weeks (PN59D7000). I've put about a hundred hours on the set. Here are a few thoughts:

1) The picture quality is excellent. This set, along with Larry's second set of calibration settings have changed my view on what high definition could be. I didn't realize it, but I was one of the folks who thought cranked up brightness, contrast, and sharpness equaled a good picture. Now that I've seen what a more realistic picture looks like, I'm just blown away by the detail. I keep watching movies I've seen a dozens of times and noticing new things...especially the texture and patterns in fabrics.

2) Brightness pops started out after the first week. That was fixed by zoyd's logic board fix, and Larry's method of applying it to D7000 displays.

3) 3D. I am now a fan. I bought the Resident Evil After Life 3D blu ray, and I was pretty amazed. So much that the 2D programming I watched afterward seemed a little drab.

4) The buzzing. Yes, I have the directional buzz issue. At its loudest, it's about as loud as a PS3 fan. It cannot be heard once I turn my volume up to a normal level. It can be heard on low dialogue scenes. It was kind of bothersome for a couple of days, but I can tune it out pretty easily now. I tested my tolerance for it by watching my No County for Old Men blu ray (that movie has absolutely no soundtrack). I did notice it, but to me, it added to the "movie" feel. Like a projector playing in a theater.

Now, the debate I decided a couple of days ago. Is it ridiculous that I just dropped near 2 G's on a TV that has a directional buzz, and it needed to be hacked to remove an fBr issue? Shouldn't I return the thing and keep returning it until I get a display that doesn't buzz? Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous. No, I'm not gonna return it.

For me, it's just too much hassle. I don't own a truck, and who knows how many times I gotta return the thing until I get one that's "perfect". There's only so many times I can a buddy to help load and unload a TV, and go to Home Depot to rent a truck.

The picture quality on 2D and 3D is absolutely sick. I can't wait to watch TV and play games. That's a pretty good indication that it's well worth the price.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #3878 of 4127 Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

HOw are the Whites on the 7000? are they soft typical Plasma white , or has Sammy tightened em' up a bit?

Like I said, that's totally subjective. Anyone can go to Best Buy or similar and compare for themselves.
post #3879 of 4127 Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

I had my set calibrated last night and the d7000 is the best picture I've seen. Also, most of my settings were completely different from those posted here. It really has emphasized that each panel is different and the value of professional calibration.
post #3880 of 4127 Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

I had my set calibrated last night and the d7000 is the best picture I've seen. Also, most of my settings were completely different from those posted here. It really has emphasized that each panel is different and the value of professional calibration.

My concern is a dull white screen for hockey

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #3881 of 4127 Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Just took delivery of my PN59D7000 last night and have used Zoyd's settings for calibration plus or minus a few things. I am blown away by this television. I am upgrading from a Panny TH50PZ77U. When I first turned on the D7000 it connected to my home network and said there was an update available and it download 1015. I then went through and calibrated it and instantly played The Dark Knight on Bluray for my reference material since I am familiar with how it "should" look in certain scenes. Everything looked fantastic and had no hint of brightness pops. I then played some animated stuff like Toy Story to see how well the color accuracy was and again I was astounded by how much better it actually is than my old Panasonic. Like many others I did notice a slight buzzing when I sat directly in front, about 7 feet away, with my head turned so my ear faced the tv (doesn't allow me to watch the thing!). Also like others, when I turn on the audio to a normal listening volume there is no buzzing to be heard. I have not tried a logic board fix yet but will keep it in mind if I notice some pops.
post #3882 of 4127 Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you like it, I felt much the same about my 59D7000 (replaced a CRT RPTV).

Just be aware that if you ever have a brightness pop problem (I didn't notice them at first, either), you will not be able to use the current firmware fix because you updated to 1015. There is an alternate method, but it requires some computer skills.
post #3883 of 4127 Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Good Lawd, I should be getting mine in a few days and I can't wait!!!!

My home theater setup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3884 of 4127 Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Glad you like it, I felt much the same about my 59D7000 (replaced a CRT RPTV).

Just be aware that if you ever have a brightness pop problem (I didn't notice them at first, either), you will not be able to use the current firmware fix because you updated to 1015. There is an alternate method, but it requires some computer skills.

Yeah I did read that but I am a Network Administrator so I should be able to find a way around it.
post #3885 of 4127 Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

It's actually quite simple and well documented, so no worries for you I'm sure. But you'd be suprised how many people around here stuggled, so we don't make assumptions about people's skill levels.
post #3886 of 4127 Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 AM

I finally got the PN59D7000 and I've happy that the TV doesn't have any apparent issues that are listed in this thread. It is quiet but I can hear a faint buzzing if I'm about 2 feet away from the unit. I don't see any shifting brightness. I am coming from a Samsung LED 40" TV (UN40B7000) that I loved. That TV had some issues. I could always see a bit a ghosting around moving objects and people. The movement of the picture always bothered me a bit. The soap opera effect was kind of odd but I did love how darned bright the TV was. It just looked artificial on a whole.

Now, I've played around with the settings that I saw on the calibration thread. I find that this TV just isn't as sharp as the other TV but then that may be due to the same source material on a significantly larger screen. Another problem is the brightness. Again, coming from the LED super torch settings, I may just need to get used to it. I have the Gamma set on 0 and that made things better. I mean, the picture is awesome, but not the same pop that the LED TV had. I have to play with it some more to really tell. Anyone else coming from an LED TV to this who have these issues?

Now, I have to do something about getting the 3D to work. My receiver doesn't do 3D passthrough. I have to send the signal from the PS3 directly to the TV.

My home theater setup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3887 of 4127 Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Plenty of people have similar complaints about plasma when coming from an LCD. If you didn't know what you were in for, I'm afraid you simply didn't do your homework. You can compare the picture quality in any electronics store and there are endless comments online comparing the display technologies. Fact is, plasma is a more accurate and natural picture. Want more sharpness? You will introduce artifacts, but some people like it - jack up the sharpness control. Maybe you are sitting too close? Maybe get a smaller panel (you realize how large a jump you made from 40 to 60 inches, right?).

Anyway, there is obviously nothing wrong with your TV. The picture on my 59D7000 is absolutely perfect from 9 feet with bluray source material (sharpness around 10, but keep it under 20 for sure).
post #3888 of 4127 Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 13
Anyone know why Samsung decided not to release the HBO Go app for the D7000 but released it for many other models?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/h...sung-smart-tv/

Seems kind of ridiculous for them to withold the app from some of their highest end TV's.
post #3889 of 4127 Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Plenty of people have similar complaints about plasma when coming from an LCD. If you didn't know what you were in for, I'm afraid you simply didn't do your homework. You can compare the picture quality in any electronics store and there are endless comments online comparing the display technologies. Fact is, plasma is a more accurate and natural picture. Want more sharpness? You will introduce artifacts, but some people like it - jack up the sharpness control. Maybe you are sitting too close? Maybe get a smaller panel (you realize how large a jump you made from 40 to 60 inches, right?).

Anyway, there is obviously nothing wrong with your TV. The picture on my 59D7000 is absolutely perfect from 9 feet with bluray source material (sharpness around 10, but keep it under 20 for sure).

Thanks for the reply. You're right... I did know that the brightness was less, but I had not known about the sharpness. I'm sitting about 10 feet from the TV now (I think). You're right, I trade that oddly sharp but unnatural picture from the LED to this more natural picture. I'll play with the sharpness for a bit and see if I find any artifacts. Also, yes BluRay picture is much sharper than the HD Fios stuff. I have to spend more time with it, but I do like the TV. I have to play with it a bit more so that I can love it.

My home theater setup:

post #3890 of 4127 Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked: 14
I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a pn51d7000 or wait for the e7000. Do you people think the d series will drp in price this month as the e tv's become available? Right now the d's are selling for about the same price as the e's ($1490 for e's).
Opinions?
post #3891 of 4127 Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Anyone know why Samsung decided not to release the HBO Go app for the D7000 but released it for many other models?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/h...sung-smart-tv/

Seems kind of ridiculous for them to withold the app from some of their highest end TV's.

Tell me about it. I'm quite mad my 64D7000 doesn't have it. Good luck getting a straight answer as to why. Samsung's Facebook and Twitter told me it was HBO's decision, and HBO just ignores me when I try to contact them.
post #3892 of 4127 Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrydancer View Post

Tell me about it. I'm quite mad my 64D7000 doesn't have it. Good luck getting a straight answer as to why. Samsung's Facebook and Twitter told me it was HBO's decision, and HBO just ignores me when I try to contact them.

Sounds like BS coming from Samsung.

Why on earth would HBO care whether the app was released for the D7000 vs the D550 or D8000?

Absurd.
post #3893 of 4127 Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Hello--

I just received a PN59D7000. Stunning design, stunning picture quality. It is a February 2012 build bought from Pauls TV "Fulfilled By Amazon." My one concern is the buzzing. I also have a 60 inch ST30 that did not buzz at all. Does the buzzing vary from build to build? Should I request an exchange? I ask because some report no buzzing. It is very noticeable in quiet scenes--not noticeable when volume is turned up but it kind of ruining the immersive quality of the picture. I have Cell Light at 20 and brigtness at 55.
post #3894 of 4127 Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet353 View Post

Hello--

I just received a PN59D7000. Stunning design, stunning picture quality. It is a February 2012 build bought from Pauls TV "Fulfilled By Amazon." My one concern is the buzzing. I also have a 60 inch ST30 that did not buzz at all. Does the buzzing vary from build to build? Should I request an exchange? I ask because some report no buzzing. It is very noticeable in quiet scenes--not noticeable when volume is turned up but it kind of ruining the immersive quality of the picture. I have Cell Light at 20 and brigtness at 55.

My TV has the directional buzz, as well, build date of December 2011. If I sit dead center of the TV, I can hear it out on low volume / mute. It's just a bit louder than my PS3 fan. If I sit just to the left or the right, you can hardly make it out, if at all.

I don't know if I've gotten used to it, or it's gotten quieter, because it was very noticeable when I first got the set, but after about 200 hours of display time, I can only hear it if I make the effort. I think I've just gotten used to not focusing on it and shutting it out.

From what I've read, there are displays out there that don't buzz, but some folks have gone through two, three exchanges to get a non-buzzer.

One of the threads on the forum had a great piece of advice. If the buzzing is such an issue that you feel relief when you turn off your set, then that's a pretty good indication that you should exchange it.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #3895 of 4127 Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Yeah--it is pretty bad. Can hear it from 10-12 feet away at low volumes--and quiet scenes. --and then you start listening for it which is really distracting. So bummed, I love the TV otherwise. It is also noticeably hotter than the ST30 as well. I will give it a few days and if it is still bad I will request an exchange.

I know Plasmas have had a rep for buzzing over the years, but the ST30 had no buzz at all, so I figured the D7000 buzzing complaints were people just nitpicking--But noticed it right away. Weird that it would have such a noticeable buzz and the ST30 didn't at all.
post #3896 of 4127 Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM

So far, 17 hours of this TV and no buzzing that I notice. Also, I don't have the brightness popping yet. I'm loving it more and more. I will say, however, that the Blu Ray movies looks a whole lot sharper than the FIOS content. I guess the previous 40" TV wasn't big enough for me to notice the difference.

My home theater setup:

post #3897 of 4127 Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 AM

So hopefully this is an acceptable location for this question. As mentioned in the title, I just purchased a 64d7000 via store pickup from a local Best Buy. It was shipped from their warehouse (actually ordered it on 3/6) as the local stores had none in stock.
Low and behold when I got home and opened it up it had a build date of March 2011. I did purchase the black tie warranty but I have no experience dealing with Best Buy. At this point I have not even powered up the tv. I am having an issue with buying a tv that had known defects during this build date.

Would you please recommend whether I should try to get a newer one or just try this one and see if it will peel, etc. If anyone has dealt with this issue and Best Buy your insight would be appreciated.

Apologies if this is a trivial question for most but this is a big purchase for me.

Thank you
post #3898 of 4127 Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't worry about it, peeling is covered under Samsung warranty and you should see it early on. Anyway, I doubt an old build date is grounds for an exchange.
post #3899 of 4127 Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks. I will power it up and get started then. I guess I'm a little .... retentive.
post #3900 of 4127 Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Liked: 14
any help here?
I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a pn51d7000 or wait for the e7000. Do you people think the d series will drp in price this month as the e tv's become available? Right now the d's are selling for about the same price as the e's ($1490 for e's).
Opinions
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page