Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 4127 Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not really sure I would choose one over the other since I have not seen either one in person. I was giving a general idea of what I was looking to replace the D7000 with. From what I've read the 2012 E series will all share the same panel and should have very similar PQ. So, if thats the case, then i would opt for the cheaper E6500 series since im only interested in PQ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 4127 Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Nice, and your bezel looks ruler flat. What is the build date? Seems like most sets from last year had wavy bezels, but this was only noticable from an angle like in your first pic.

Thanks! I don't know what the build date is. It's a bit of a pain to see the back of the TV. Is there an easier way to find this like in the service menu or the book?
post #3933 of 4127 Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post

Thanks! I don't know what the build date is. It's a bit of a pain to see the back of the TV. Is there an easier way to find this like in the service menu or the book?

Most companies put the build date on the box they come in. Other than that, you would have to get it from the back of the display.
post #3934 of 4127 Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

I've attached the settings I'm liking at the moment to this post. There were also several other very good settings that can be found in the D7000/D8000 calibration thread.

Dayum...I just adjusted my settings to match Chad B's settings in the above-quoted post. I did lower the contrast a bit. With that done, I can say that the picture is POPPIN'! (In a good way...not the fBr way).

Watching Avatar and it really does have a 3D look to it and I'm just watching the 2D blu ray. Just a wicked great picture.

I love this freaking panel.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #3935 of 4127 Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 AM

Hi folks. I have my Samsung PN51D7000 hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR607 surround sound receiver via a toslink cable. When I watch programs on Hulu+ I frequently (but not always) get an audio sync problem where the sound comes out of my external speakers slightly after people's lips move. A few times I've had the same problem when watching programs over the air or on Netflix. When I turn my TV speakers on, there is an echo, and the TV's speakers line up with the video, so the problem seems to be with the TV's digital out signal. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? The extent of the lag varies, but sometimes it is very noticeable and makes almost unwatchable.

(Note: The audio delay in the TV's settings is set to zero.)
post #3936 of 4127 Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post

I usually hold up a small compact mirror behind the displays to locate different ports, serial numbers,build dates, etc....
post #3937 of 4127 Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 PM

So I purchased my PN59D7000 set last April. A few months ago I noticed a small bubble on the top right corner and my research here and other sites indicated that this was the issue with the antiglare coating peeling off. I submitted this information to Samsung and opened a ticket.

Apparently the repair site in Chicago (I'm in WI) has not had to fix this problem since they showed up today with a brand new panel.

Here is the bad news... This panel buzzes LOUD! On my old panel there was zero buzzing, the only way I could hear it was if I put my ear up to the back of the TV. Now I can hear the buzz when watching tv at normal volume seated 15 feat away.

Unfortunately I only noticed this after the tech left. This is incredibly frustrating, if the set was this loud when I first got it I would have sent it back to Amazon. Any advice on what I should do next? Call the service center or Samsung? Have them bring back the old panel?

Help!
post #3938 of 4127 Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
bdonnell,

Samsung routinely is replacing those peeling panels rather than performing any fix on them. I suggest that you contact the technician that did the work and see if you can delay him from sending the old panel back to the Samsung facility until you can resolve this issue with Samsung.

Larry
post #3939 of 4127 Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonnell View Post

So I purchased my PN59D7000 set last April. A few months ago I noticed a small bubble on the top right corner and my research here and other sites indicated that this was the issue with the antiglare coating peeling off. I submitted this information to Samsung and opened a ticket.

Apparently the repair site in Chicago (I'm in WI) has not had to fix this problem since they showed up today with a brand new panel.

Here is the bad news... This panel buzzes LOUD! On my old panel there was zero buzzing, the only way I could hear it was if I put my ear up to the back of the TV. Now I can hear the buzz when watching tv at normal volume seated 15 feat away.

Unfortunately I only noticed this after the tech left. This is incredibly frustrating, if the set was this loud when I first got it I would have sent it back to Amazon. Any advice on what I should do next? Call the service center or Samsung? Have them bring back the old panel?

Help!

Is it a directional buzz, meaning, if you sit dead center, you can hear it clearly, but if you move a foot to the left, right, up or down, you can barely hear it, or not hear it at all with the volume on mute? This panel has that issue.

Regardless of whether or not it's a directional buzz, can the buzzing be heard on normal volume WITH background noise, or can it just be heard on dialogue only, quieter scenes?

Samsung states that if you can hear the buzzing over normal volume settings and ambient noise (I'm guessing they exclude those quieter, dialogue only scenes like in "No Country for Old Men"), at 15 feet or more, then the panel is defective, and can be replaced

My panel has a dead center directional buzz and it can be heard at 9 feet on dialogue only scenes. Can't hear it with stuff like Avatar, with something constantly going on audio-wise.

If it's like nails on a chalkboard to ya, I'd call Samsung and see if you can get it replaced.

post #3940 of 4127 Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

Is it a directional buzz, meaning, if you sit dead center, you can hear it clearly, but if you move a foot to the left, right, up or down, you can barely hear it, or not hear it at all with the volume on mute? This panel has that issue.

Regardless of whether or not it's a directional buzz, can the buzzing be heard on normal volume WITH background noise, or can it just be heard on dialogue only, quieter scenes?

Samsung states that if you can hear the buzzing over normal volume settings and ambient noise (I'm guessing they exclude those quieter, dialogue only scenes like in "No Country for Old Men"), at 15 feet or more, then the panel is defective, and can be replaced

My panel has a dead center directional buzz and it can be heard at 9 feet on dialogue only scenes. Can't hear it with stuff like Avatar, with something constantly going on audio-wise.

If it's like nails on a chalkboard to ya, I'd call Samsung and see if you can get it replaced.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is definitely a directional buzz, heard dead center the most distinctly and pretty much disappears when you move to the side. I can hear it it all the time on normal volume, but it's also possible I'm tuned in to it now (if that makes sense). I'll call Samsung tomorrow and see what they say.
post #3941 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is definitely a directional buzz, heard dead center the most distinctly and pretty much disappears when you move to the side. I can hear it it all the time on normal volume, but it's also possible I'm tuned in to it now (if that makes sense). I'll call Samsung tomorrow and see what they say.

You're sure your old panel didn't have the same buzz when viewed from same dead-center position? That would be the best evidence I've heard yet that the buzzing does indeed vary from set to set. I always assumed it was present on all of them.
post #3942 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 AM

I´ve had 2 panels. The first was swapped because of a dead pixel. They both have had the exact same loud directional buzz. I´m kind of hoping I can find a way of getting one more swap some how, and the chance to get a quiet panel. Apparently they exist, but seem to be pretty rare... Samsung didn´t care about the buzz, as I tried to complain about it.
post #3943 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

You're sure your old panel didn't have the same buzz when viewed from same dead-center position? That would be the best evidence I've heard yet that the buzzing does indeed vary from set to set. I always assumed it was present on all of them.

Yes, absolutely. I never heard any buzzing on the old panel when sitting dead-center. It is loud enough to be a distraction... If it were initially this bad I would have returned the set.
post #3944 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

My set emits no buzz in any direction... nothing can be heard anywhere in a dead silent room (quiet enough to easily hear the hard drive spinning up in the DVR) unless you put your ear right up to the vent openings on the back of the set. (PN51D7000 - Jan '12 build date)

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3945 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There is plenty of evidence out there now that indicates it is possible to get a relatively quiet panel. Since everyone has different hearing sensitivity, it is difficult to say for sure if there are dead silent sets, but it seems likely (my friend has a 64D8000 that is silent to my ears). For sure, it varys from set to set and it is usually reported as directional in nature. My set sometimes buzzes loudly to my ears (usually when warming up), but I have found several people who can barely (or not at all) hear it in the same seating position.
post #3946 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

My set emits no buzz in any direction... nothing can be heard anywhere in a dead silent room (quiet enough to easily hear the hard drive spinning up in the DVR) unless you put your ear right up to the vent openings on the back of the set. (PN51D7000 - Jan '12 build date)

That is what my original panel was like. Opened another ticket with Samsung and they are sending out another panel next Tuesday. Hopefully this one is quiet!
post #3947 of 4127 Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

That is what my original panel was like. Opened another ticket with Samsung and they are sending out another panel next Tuesday. Hopefully this one is quiet!

Good Luck! Luck's been with me... neither this display nor the Panasonic S2 (commonly a buzzer) that preceded it have had any buzzing issues. My father (PN58B650) and brother (PN58C550) have not been as lucky. Their sets both buzz moderately. Fortunately my father doesn't hear it, but it drives my brother crazy sometimes. (...and yes, I can easily hear it on their sets, so I'm certain I would if mine was doing it)

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3948 of 4127 Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Hmm, I was really sold on the D7000. I am able to get the PN64D7000 for what I believe to be a pretty decent price (not sure if I can discuss that here?). It seems like the more I read and the more I ask, people keep steering me away from it because of the "brightness pops" issue.

I know that if you go out looking for it, you can always find terrible things people say about any product. Likewise, you tend to usually hear more bad things than good things since its human nature to complain a lot.

Are the *overall* thoughts on the D7000 series that it is a great TV and still well worth the money? I was reading more last night and came across the CNet review, which has been updated several times to include the "brightness pop" issue, and they still gave it the go ahead.
post #3949 of 4127 Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM

I have had the 59" version for about 4 weeks now and I swear I'm getting to love it more and more each day. I was surprised as to how much the picture quality improved over the few weeks that I owned it. Either that or I'm getting to love this image over the LED superbright picture that it's replacing. I have no brightness pops or humming or anything... at least none that I notice. I did have bad ghosting and flashlighting with the Sammy LED that the TV replaces.
post #3950 of 4127 Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaresTaylan View Post

Are the *overall* thoughts on the D7000 series that it is a great TV and still well worth the money? I was reading more last night and came across the CNet review, which has been updated several times to include the "brightness pop" issue, and they still gave it the go ahead.

I got a PN59D7000, and for me, it's been totally worth it, however, be prepared for the issues you've read about to crop up if you purchase this display.

I know for a fact the buzzing and brightness pops are real. The first one I've learned to live with,; the second I fixed thanks to the good people on this forum. As for the peeling, I haven't had that issue, but, like you, I've read a lot of posts saying folks have experienced that problem.

The picture quality on this display far outways any annoyances I've experienced, but that is my personal preference. I think the biggest issue you might want to watch out for is the buzzing, if you get a buzzer. If you can learn to block it out, you'll be good, or if you want to replace your display as many times as it takes to get one that doesn't buzz, you can do that, too, but don't be surprised if it takes a few replacements to get a quiet one.

post #3951 of 4127 Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

I got a PN59D7000, and for me, it's been totally worth it, however, be prepared for the issues you've read about to crop up if you purchase this display.

I know for a fact the buzzing and brightness pops are real. The first one I've learned to live with,; the second I fixed thanks to the good people on this forum. As for the peeling, I haven't had that issue, but, like you, I've read a lot of posts saying folks have experienced that problem.

The picture quality on this display far outways any annoyances I've experienced, but that is my personal preference. I think the biggest issue you might want to watch out for is the buzzing, if you get a buzzer. If you can learn to block it out, you'll be good, or if you want to replace your display as many times as it takes to get one that doesn't buzz, you can do that, too, but don't be surprised if it takes a few replacements to get a quiet one.

I figured that this would likely be the general consensus. I appreciate all the information. For me, given the original MSRP of the TV vs what I am able to get it for, it sounds like a no-brainer. I will likely pick one up and hope for the best.
post #3952 of 4127 Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 PM

I've had the 597000D for about a month now and have absolutely loved it. The only thing that is bothering me are pinkish/light red bars/bands running top to bottom that are very very faint...can only be seen on white backgrounds. Now that i have seen them, I of course notice them all of the time a white or light background comes up. I can tell it's not an IR issue as they are uniform and vertical and they appear across the screen, predominantly on the right side. Adjusting the brightness and contrast don't seem to help. Is this something I have to deal with or should I exchange this unit for a new one?
post #3953 of 4127 Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Which wall mount is recommended for the pn64d7000?
post #3954 of 4127 Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swurver View Post

I've had the 597000D for about a month now and have absolutely loved it. The only thing that is bothering me are pinkish/light red bars/bands running top to bottom that are very very faint...can only be seen on white backgrounds. Now that i have seen them, I of course notice them all of the time a white or light background comes up. I can tell it's not an IR issue as they are uniform and vertical and they appear across the screen, predominantly on the right side. Adjusting the brightness and contrast don't seem to help. Is this something I have to deal with or should I exchange this unit for a new one?

Your white balance is most likely off. This can be corrected by adjusting your calibration settings. I had this problem myself. If you're a novice (like me), I'd try settings found in the Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread.

There's tons of good settings out there by several users of the forum. I'd also recommend using the AVS HD Calibration Disc found here.
The white clipping pattern on this disc is definitely a good way of finding out if you've got some pinkish hue going on.

Or you can get it professionally calibrated. I've got a very highly recommended pro calibrator booked for near the end of April and I'm freakin' ecstatic about it.

post #3955 of 4127 Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What is it called when you see "pixalization" in dark scenes with bright lights? Like movement of black/grey pixals around a light. I was watching fringe last night and noticed this a few times. Any ideas? I will try to take a picture of this when I get a chance.
post #3956 of 4127 Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 AM

How much does a calibration cost these days from a professional?
post #3957 of 4127 Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops2 View Post

How much does a calibration cost these days from a professional?

The quotes I received from a few touring calibrators were between $350 and $450 (this included additional fees for travel costs).

post #3958 of 4127 Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Just a feeler to see if anyone else is having similar issues. I normally listen to programs at around 16-20 volume (DirectTV via HDMI), but have to up that to over 40 when I switch over to the Netflix app. Even then I catch only about 75% of the dialogue. This is with the TV speakers, no receiver, etc.

Do I perhaps have a sound mode on that doesn't play well with Netflix?

--MDG
post #3959 of 4127 Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSF1 View Post

Just a feeler to see if anyone else is having similar issues. I normally listen to programs at around 16-20 volume (DirectTV via HDMI), but have to up that to over 40 when I switch over to the Netflix app. Even then I catch only about 75% of the dialogue. This is with the TV speakers, no receiver, etc.

Do I perhaps have a sound mode on that doesn't play well with Netflix?

--MDG

Same problem on a PN51D8000

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3960 of 4127 Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Good Luck! Luck's been with me... neither this display nor the Panasonic S2 (commonly a buzzer) that preceded it have had any buzzing issues. My father (PN58B650) and brother (PN58C550) have not been as lucky. Their sets both buzz moderately. Fortunately my father doesn't hear it, but it drives my brother crazy sometimes. (...and yes, I can easily hear it on their sets, so I'm certain I would if mine was doing it)

Well, 2nd panel was a buzzer too... Just got off the phone with Samsung, my options are for them to replace the TV or get a refund. I'm leaning towards refund, since I purchased the TV last April and in theory could get the same set for a couple hundred cheaper. Now I have to start over on the research, see what else is out there besides the Samsung. Too bad, cause I love the picture on this set after applying the firmware to fix the brightness fluctuations.

All this over a little bubble in the screen filter, what a pain!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page