Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

Zetherin I hope the room with your TV was really flooded with sunlight... or I hope you haven't calibrated the picture yet and your contrast and brightness are cranked up to 100... Either one... Because those black levels don't look so impressive! The letterboxes look a bit gray-ish!

It's really not visibly grey at all, that's just the flash. I'll try to get some better pics for you guys later, but it basically looks like what koffas already posted earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
The first post in this thread also has a pic of the port layout, but your straight-on shot is a bit clearer.
post #453 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has it been confirmed that the d7000 doesn't have an ARC? Seems like a big limitation on a "smart" TV....
post #454 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't use an receiver with ARC support to test it out, but if you take a look at the quick guides on the support page, ARC is only mentioned for the D8000. It was on the C6500/7000/8000 last year. Samsung apparently needed to create more model differentiation. I'll update the OP in the main 2011 thread as this is a meaningful difference for some. I used optical out on my C7000 and am doing the same on the D7000. Sound quality is in no way compromised for the TV's internal apps or tuner, as neither send anything more than DD5.1.
post #455 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No ARC would be a huge disappointment. What's the point in streaming HD movies directly to the TV if you can't send true HD audio back to your receiver for the surround sound. Even the lower ST30 has it.
post #456 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My understanding is that optical restricts you to lossless 2-channel audio or compressed multichannel (5.1, 7.1) audio. HDMI supports the latest and greatest codecs (Dolby TrueHD). But whether or not you can discern the difference is more a function of the source, your speakers, and your ears.
post #457 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSD View Post

No ARC would be a huge disappointment. What's the point in streaming HD movies directly to the TV if you can't send true HD audio back to your receiver for the surround sound. Even the lower ST30 has it.

There is no ARC on the 7000. Saw so on the Samsung website.

You're right, koffas, no multichannel lossless via toslink.
post #458 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRrobin981 View Post

There is no ARC on the 7000. Saw so on the Samsung website.

You're right, koffas, no multichannel lossless via toslink.

What does ARC stand for, and what is the detriment of it not being on the 7000? [For us n00bs, thanks]
post #459 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

What does ARC stand for, and what is the detriment of it not being on the 7000? [For us n00bs, thanks]

Audio Return Channel. If the 7000 doesn't have it, then the TV can't send audio streams from Netflix/VUDU/CinemaNOW to your ARC-capable receiver via HDMI.

I should clear this up, RE what I wrote in my last post (and the part I edited out about Ethernet). From the manual: "We recommend using a basic high-speed HDMI cable or an HDMI cable that supports Ethernet. Note that this TV does not support the Ethernet function via HDMI."

I guess I was confusing the issue; it doesn't mention ARC. I don't know where, if at all, it does in the manual.
post #460 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Audio Return Channel

Audio going back to the receiver over the single HDMI cable output from the receiver to the tv.
post #461 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Audio Return Channel. If the 7000 doesn't have it, then the TV can't send audio streams from Netflix/VUDU/CinemaNOW to your ARC-capable receiver via HDMI.

I should clear this up, RE what I wrote in my last post (and the part I edited out about Ethernet). From the manual: "We recommend using a basic high-speed HDMI cable or an HDMI cable that supports Ethernet. Note that this TV does not support the Ethernet function via HDMI."

I guess I was confusing the issue; it doesn't mention ARC. I don't know where, if at all, it does in the manual.

The limited e-manual doesn't mention it, but in this case because it isn't there.
post #462 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

ARC, audio return channel. This is done via HDMI that allows true HD audio from the TV to your AVR and sent to surround sound. Also, it means having to feed one less cable through your wall....at least for those that have an AV closet. This especially useful if you want to stream HD video to your TV but you want surround sound also. Instead of having a single HDMI cable to handle all that you have to add a coaxial cable. To be honest I still would have bought the 7000 knowing this but a TV at this level should really have this option.
post #463 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the explanations, guys.

Quote:

Wait, so, if I go to watch an HD movie on Netflix, how will the sound operate? You're saying that I will not have surround sound, or be able to utilize one of the higher quality codecs? So, basically, without ARC, I'm not going to be able to enjoy the audio on any HD streams, as the high quality audio cannot be transferred to my receiver [which then would transmit the sound through my speakers]?
post #464 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Purchased a Pn59D7000 about 2 weeks ago. Not real happy with the picture quality, need to know what to do or what to try? Ive tried watching blurays with my PS3 and the picture is kind of grainy. The colors are great but not happy with the overall picture. When i watch HD channels from Dish network the picture is just not that great for a high quality tv? I know Dish is 1080i but it should look better than it does. On HD channels it just seems you have to view the tv from 20' for the picture to look good? I have tried using the preset picture modes and the better picture to me is on dynamic. Im not really sure if getting it professionally calibrated will make the difference. My parents have the top of the line fujitsu tv which is 5-6 yrs old and it has a better picture with dish network. What gives?
post #465 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Wait, so, if I go to watch an HD movie on Netflix, how will the sound operate? You're saying that I will not have surround sound, or be able to utilize one of the higher quality codecs? So, basically, without ARC, I'm not going to be able to enjoy the audio on any HD streams, as the high quality audio cannot be transferred to my receiver [which then would transmit the sound through my speakers]?

You can get surround audio out of the TV by using its optical output (Toslink) jack. Just plug that into an optical input on your receiver. You may have to switch the receiver to a different input to hear what's coming in via optical -- I say "may have to" because I have a Samsung receiver that monitors both the HDMI in and the optical in at the same time. It's the only receiver I've ever owned, so I don't know if that is typical behavior.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that the Samsung's Netflix app can transmit 5.1 audio via optical to your receiver. I know it is limited to 2-channel (stereo only) output coming from any HDMI sources, but presumably you'd have HDMI sources passing through your receiver first anyway.
post #466 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

You have to use toslink (optical) cable to output sound from your TV to your receiver. I just ordered one cheap from monoprice.com for this purpose. And as I understand it (99.9 percent sure), you cannot transmit multichannel lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD master audio) via that method. You're restricted to good ol' lossy Dolby Digital surround.
post #467 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, you'll have to get audio from the TV speakers or run a coaxial from the TV to your AVR. But, it won't be true HD, it will be compressed.
post #468 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Although I realize that you can't transmit lossless (uncompressed) HD audio via the Samsung's optical output, are there any apps (Netflix, et al) that could even serve lossless audio anyway?

Edit: For what it's worth, there is some discussion going on in the D8000 thread about how the ARC implementation is pretty irritating and a hassle for some.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20304989
post #469 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 PM

But this doesn't effect what is transferred from any other device, like, say, my blu-ray player, right? My blu-ray player can still transmit and utilize all the great codecs to my receiver, being hooked up to my receiver and TV. This only applies to media that is being transmitted directly from the TV (usually from the internet). Is this correct?
post #470 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditws6 View Post

Although I realize that you can't transmit lossless (uncompressed) HD audio via the Samsung's optical output, are there any apps (Netflix, et al) that could even serve lossless audio anyway?

Not sure about apps but I was planning on streaming HD video from my network directly to the TV. Now I have to find another solution to get it to my AVR. I was trying to avoid the cost of buying something like a WDTV hub.
post #471 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

But this doesn't effect what is transferred from any other device, like, say, my blu-ray player, right? My blu-ray player can still transmit and utilize all the great codecs being hooked up to my receiver and TV. This only applies to media is being transmitted directly from the TV (usually from the internet). Is this correct?

Yes, just from TV to AVR, not AVR to TV.
post #472 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:

But this doesn't effect what is transferred from any other device, like, say, my blu-ray player, right? My blu-ray player can still transmit and utilize all the great codecs being hooked up to my receiver and TV. This only applies to media is being transmitted directly from the TV (usually from the internet). Is this correct?

Yes.

I don't even think Netflix has 5.1. Dolby Digital streams beyond the PS3, IIRC. But Vudu and CinemaNow do for some movies $5 or $6 a rental.
post #473 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:

But this doesn't effect what is transferred from any other device, like, say, my blu-ray player, right? My blu-ray player can still transmit and utilize all the great codecs to my receiver, being hooked up to my receiver and TV. This only applies to media that is being transmitted directly from the TV (usually from the internet). Is this correct?

The TV doesn't affect audio from other sources so yes. The audio doesn't pass through the receiver, to the TV, then back to the receiver if that's what you were thinking.
post #474 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Yes, just from TV to AVR, not AVR to TV.

Well, then, I could get, say, an Apple TV (or any equivalent, and then stream from there), hook it up to my Receiver, and I'd be absolutely fine. I guess it's not too much of a drawback.
post #475 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I took a pic of the back connectors. Take a look a few posts back.

thanks i saw them so acording to that pic all 4 hdmi slots are on the side ?
thanks again
post #476 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Not sure about apps but I was planning on streaming HD video from my network directly to the TV. Now I have to find another solution to get it to my AVR. I was trying to avoid the cost of buying something like a WDTV hub.

Gotcha. That's a good point I hadn't considered.

Initially I was quite annoyed about the lack of ARC on the D6500/7000, but then I realized I do all of my streaming via my PS3 (which is also my Blu-ray player)...I will probably not miss it.
post #477 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Well, then, I could get, say, an Apple TV (or any equivalent), hook it up to my Receiver, and I'd be abosolutely fine.

Yes, but that is another 2 months of research.....just kidding. Honestly though there are a lot of choices out there, you'll just have to find what works for you. I'm no expert on Apple tv, but the last I knew it only streamed 720p. Again, I could be wrong on that. If you do get one you may consider jailbreaking it and putting plex on it. Plex just came out a big update I heard was nice. I say this without having any hands on with it, just researching as I'm in the same boat as you.
post #478 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 PM

I own the PN51D7000 and I dont see the YUPP TV app in the samsung apps. Support suggested it could be a mainboard problem although I am not convinced. Could you confirm if anyone owns a 51D7000 set?

Otherwise I like the quality of the TV compared to the 46"LED 3D TV I had earlier..
post #479 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Well, then, I could get, say, an Apple TV (or any equivalent, and then stream from there), hook it up to my Receiver, and I'd be absolutely fine. I guess it's not too much of a drawback.

I love my AppleTv, but it is limited in what codecs can be streamed to it.
post #480 of 4136 Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1 View Post

Great pics Zetherin, just what I was looking for, Thanks. That 1 port looks like it is labeled DVI. Is it an actual dvi port or an hdmi. The reason I ask is i connect my htpc using a dvi to hdmi adapter cable. This could simplify things

It's actually neither*. It looks to be an optical in. That was the first thing I looked at too, as I wanted to hook my computer up. The only way I can hook my computer up currently, since I don't have HDMI on my video card, is to use a DVI to VGA cord connected to the VGA port on the TV.

I've yet to try it.

*EDIT: My bad, it is in fact an HDMI in. I was looking at the one below it that says PC/DVI audio.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page