Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've got a 64 on the way and I'm a little concerned about how thin it is for such a large TV. Any advice on how to unpack it or lift it onto the wall to avoid flexing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post
Its fine. For now you have to go on to their website, download it and put it on a USB drive.

so they fixed the firmware 1007 update? they pulled it after all the issues right?
post #723 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
I've got a 64 on the way and I'm a little concerned about how thin it is for such a large TV. Any advice on how to unpack it or lift it onto the wall to avoid flexing?
When we took our 64 out, there were 2 of us. The box should have some plastic things about a foot from the bottom of the box that you have to take out. When they are removed, you can lift the top of the box right off of the TV. It makes it really easy to get the TV out of the rest of the packing materials.

Make sure when you go to lift it out of the styrofoam that none of the bezel tape gets stuck to the styrofoam. That happened to us and it is just a pain in the butt to deal with.

Have a good place to set the TV once you get it out. We leaned mine up against our couch. Lay the box down, as stated earlier in the thread, and put a blanket over and adjust the styrofoam so the box is sturdy and stable, then take the tv and lay it face down on the blanket to put the base on (or wall mount brackets).

Good luck!
post #724 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post
so they fixed the firmware 1007 update? they pulled it after all the issues right?
Seemingly so. But at least now the firmware is available for download on their site. I'm not sure if the problems people were having were due to being done in standby mode or what. But I updated mine the other day manually with no problem. And even if it did get stuck in the loop you can get out of it by doing the Mute 2 5 8 EXIT thing.
post #725 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Hey Zetherin, try this. Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest firmware, 1007. Not sure if that makes a difference but its what I did. Koffas had earlier mentioned that when he simply entered the service menu and exited, his random shifts in brightness seem to have disappeared. I tried that but did nothing. Then last night I went back into the service menu and did a factory reset, which means you have to go through set up all over again. But after I did that I'm not sure if it was just my imagination, but it seemed like the shifting was a lot less frequent and random. It does still happen, but it seems to make more sense. When there are more dark things on the screen the panel darkens to give deeper blacks, and when there are less dark things the brightness moves back up again.

I don't know how the pure white screens are affected since I mostly have had a problem with the darker scenes. So it probably is still the case that an all white plasma screen is not as bright as an all white lcd. But its all about contrast!

Anyways, I'd be interested to have you try it and let me know what you think. After you reset it you can just dial back in your preferred picture settings. There is a very real chance I could be crazy but it does seem like this effect has been tamed down a lot.

Hey Timm,

I actually already tried this. On page 13 of this thread, I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

Fix thus far: I've been watching the TV for about an hour now with NO dimming.

1.) I reset to factory settings (As others have noted, hold exit for a few seconds, then press "OK")
2.) Went to 'Eco Settings' and then turned off 'Eco Sensor'.
3.) In picture settings I also turned off 'Motion Control' which was also on by default.

Oddly enough, even though they had both been off initially, turning them off after doing a factory reset has seemingly fixed things.

This did in fact help a little, particularly the dimming of menus. However, the whites/brights still dim whenever there are alot of whites/brights on screen. This is particularly annoying with all white scenes, or when watching, say, hockey. Others however tell me that this is normal and is simply a quality of plasmas. Whether it is or not I do not know, but my doubts are coming from the plasma owners who say that they don't experience this at all.

(PS: Koffas, didn't forget about you; I'll try to get that video for you sometime soon)
post #726 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM

I figure this is in the wrong place and I apologize. I am getting my D7000 tomorow and I also have a Monster Green surge protector. I got it for free but I'm not sure I want to use it. I'm told that if you plug your components into the "green" outlets, the thing cuts power to those components. Now I'm not really interested in my electric bill but is there any harm in using one of these? Thanks for any help.
post #727 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Hey Timm,

I actually already tried this. On page 13 of this thread, I posted this:

This did in fact help a little, particularly the dimming of menus. However, the whites/brights still dim whenever there are alot of whites/brights on screen. This is particularly annoying with all white scenes, or when watching, say, hockey. Others however tell me that this is normal and is simply a quality of plasmas. Whether it is or not I do not know, but my doubts are coming from the plasma owners who say that they don't experience this at all.

(PS: Koffas, didn't forget about you; I'll try to get that video for you sometime soon)

Uggh, sorry! There are too many pages to read through here. Well, I was thinking about you since I know you are having problems with the picture, but I guess mostly in bright scenes. What kind of picture settings are you using? I haven't and don't ever watch hockey but maybe I will try finding some so I can see what you are talking about. I know generally the issue you are having, but I'd like to see if it can be minimized at all with playing with settings.
post #728 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

All,
Just picked up a PN59D7000F. I am using a ps3 (firmware 3.60) which I connected directly into one of Sammy's hdmi ports, bypassing my pre/pro...
I'm trying to watch a 3d movie ( Mastermind 3d)and I can't see to get 3d to work correctly. The ONLY setting that I can use is the 2d to 3d setting.
I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.
post #729 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF911 View Post

All,
Just picked up a PN59D7000F. I am using a ps3 (firmware 3.60) which I connected directly into one of Sammy's hdmi ports, bypassing my pre/pro...
I'm trying to watch a 3d movie ( Mastermind 3d)and I can't see to get 3d to work correctly. The ONLY setting that I can use is the 2d to 3d setting.
I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.

you have to go into the display settings of your ps3 and configure the resolutions automatically and it will find your 3d tv and the size of it too
post #730 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

you have to go into the display settings of your ps3 and configure the resolutions automatically and it will find your 3d tv and the size of it too

Thanks Wermey...I found it. It's working great now. I gotta say however, I'm not too happy losing lossless formats.
Maybe the BDP-93 is the way to go. I can always stick the PS3 in the bedroom.
post #731 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Purchased the PN59D7000 and should be delivered here by May 5th and I'm curious if anyone that has purchased one of the D series plasma tv's lives at a high altutude and if so have you experienced any adverse symtoms such as higher operating temps or louder then normal buzzing.
been reading all the posts here and so far I am pleased at what I'm reading and I appreciate any feed back to my inquirey thanks.
post #732 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:

What kind of picture settings are you using?

I'm using Dan's settings. He seems to know what he's talking about because the PQ looks even better.
post #733 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

That looks like a typical ABL response, similar to this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhPzlBfNw_M

Yeah, but the Kuro phenomenon is gradual and will be less noticeable during regular watching. The Samsung seems sudden and abrupt, will be very noticeable.

Do you see such sudden shifts on your TV?
post #734 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Seemingly so. But at least now the firmware is available for download on their site. I'm not sure if the problems people were having were due to being done in standby mode or what. But I updated mine the other day manually with no problem. And even if it did get stuck in the loop you can get out of it by doing the Mute 2 5 8 EXIT thing.

Same here, updated last night w/no issues. Well, I did have to reformat my USB drive as Fat32. I think it was NTSC prior to that
post #735 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

Same here, updated last night w/no issues. Well, I did have to reformat my USB drive as Fat32. I think it was NTSC prior to that

Really? The USB formatting requirement changed with the firmware update?
post #736 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks Wermey...I found it. It's working great now. I gotta say however, I'm not too happy losing lossless formats.
Maybe the BDP-93 is the way to go. I can always stick the PS3 in the bedroom.

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but are you talking about lossless audio? Not the right AVR or something?
post #737 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Really? The USB formatting requirement changed with the firmware update?

I didn't research it but it didn't recognize the update folder until I reformatted. I have an old 1GB drive that I used, bought it when 1GB was considered a lot That might have something to do with it too.
post #738 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Yeah, but the Kuro phenomenon is gradual and will be less noticeable during regular watching. The Samsung seems sudden and abrupt, will be very noticeable.

Do you see such sudden shifts on your TV?

No. I see a gradual change in brightness as I expand the notepad window. Video isn't great, but you get the idea.
It's a non-issue during normal viewing.

post #739 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfisher View Post

When we took our 64 out, there were 2 of us. The box should have some plastic things about a foot from the bottom of the box that you have to take out. When they are removed, you can lift the top of the box right off of the TV. It makes it really easy to get the TV out of the rest of the packing materials.

Make sure when you go to lift it out of the styrofoam that none of the bezel tape gets stuck to the styrofoam. That happened to us and it is just a pain in the butt to deal with.

Have a good place to set the TV once you get it out. We leaned mine up against our couch. Lay the box down, as stated earlier in the thread, and put a blanket over and adjust the styrofoam so the box is sturdy and stable, then take the tv and lay it face down on the blanket to put the base on (or wall mount brackets).

Good luck!

Feeling proud about somehow managing the unpacking and mounting all by my lonesome. PN64D7000.
post #740 of 4123 Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

No. I see a gradual change in brightness as I expand the notepad window. Video isn't great, but you get the idea.
It's a non-issue during normal viewing.

Is only the top right part of the pink screen getting dark or is it an artifact of poor video.
post #741 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 AM

Koffas, I actually can't see the whites dim at all in that video.
post #742 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 AM

I did the video test and yes the notepad screen gets less white as it gets bigger but as koffas said I too find it a non issue in regular viewing.

I am really enjoying my 64d7000, it is awesome. It is my first plasma and it has zero buzzing and I really haven't noticed the dimness change in any of my "normal" viewing. I do notice that the tv does seem to get very hot at the top of the set. I suppose this is normal.

I live in Binghamton New York which is below Rochester and Syracuse. I was considering a professional calibration but don't know who to get. Can anyone offer any suggestions. Thanks, Great Forum!!!!
post #743 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but are you talking about lossless audio? Not the right AVR or something?

Jay,
Yes, I was refering to lossless audio..Dolby True HD and DTS HD.
post #744 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1 View Post

I was considering a professional calibration but don't know who to get

Ditto. I'd also like some advice regarding calibration. Is it possible for someone who isn't trained to do it (myself!)?
post #745 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Ever since I got by 58" last year I wished I had gone with the largest. Sold the 58" to my father-in-law and just hung my new 64D7000 on the wall.

0 buzz. Some rippling along lower bezel but this is nearly impossible to notice - a real non-issue. Cannot comment on floating blacks or dimming whites as yet. I will post more as I have it.

I have to put a plug in for Mark Stonkus over at ABT (marks@abt.com). Send him an email if you are looking for the best price/package! I won't quote here but send my PM if you want my details.
post #746 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Jay,
Yes, I was refering to lossless audio..Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

OK, I'm a little confused then. You need to use HDMI pass through w/the PS3 for lossless audio right? If you bought a different BluRay player wouldn't you need to do the same thing? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your set up
post #747 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Is it possible for someone who isn't trained to do it (myself!)?

Absolutely, but it takes patience to learn, there's a plethora of helpful info on this site.

Here's a few helpful links

Free calibration patterns, it also has a nice basic calibration tutorial video included

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

A guide for calibrating with a colorimeter, and a good read overall. I personally bought the Eye One Display LT

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Free calibration software

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983943
post #748 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What glasses have people been buying for their sets? I'm really looking for children sized glasses but the ones I've found aren't compatible with the 2011 models. I read that Samsung is going to be releasing $50 glasses but I haven't been able to find any for sale. My TV is arriving on the 3rd (1 day delay...grrr!) so I'm anxious to have some glasses ready for my kids!

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
post #749 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

OK, I'm a little confused then. You need to use HDMI pass through w/the PS3 for lossless audio right? If you bought a different BluRay player wouldn't you need to do the same thing? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your set up

PS3 can't do 3D and lossless audio at the same time.

consider the source
post #750 of 4123 Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpestrada74 View Post

What glasses have people been buying for their sets? I'm really looking for children sized glasses but the ones I've found aren't compatible with the 2011 models. I read that Samsung is going to be releasing $50 glasses but I haven't been able to find any for sale. My TV is arriving on the 3rd (1 day delay...grrr!) so I'm anxious to have some glasses ready for my kids!

I thought I read the official price drop is on May 1st, but you can already get the same powered ones that come w/the kit(SSG-3100GB) for under $50 each at places like Amazon. They actually show $50 at the Samsung site, but when you go to actually purchase it shows the $130 price

Sorry I don't have an answer about the kids glasses
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page