Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was dusting off the screen of my 51D7000 and noticed a dead pixel. It actually looks green on light backgrounds. The pixel is not noticeble from normal viewing distance but still bugs me.

I purchased the TV on Amazon sold by Amazon. Now my question is should I contact Amazon or Samsung and if anyone has any experience with returning a TV to Amazon?

Would they want me to ship it back to them and I would be without a tv for a couple weeks to a month or what? Or would they send a replacement and pick it up at the same time. I really don't want to be without a tv for a month(I know its sad). Or should I go through Samsung?

Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 AM

I had a defective logitech 5.1 system from amazon. They sent me out a new one and gave me 30 days to send the bad one back.
post #813 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 AM

so they would consider 1 dead pixel defective? I know I would. Did you have to pay for return shipping? I saved the box just for this lol.
post #814 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyck View Post

Has the firmware issue with these Samsung plasmas been repaired?

I thought it had been pulled but I haven't heard anything more recent, and a browse of this forum didn't really answer the question for me. I saw a recent Amazon post saying it had happened again recently, though I also saw a workaround there.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN64D7...DateDescending

I wasn't able to upgrade my TV via the Online method ( just got the error 'No firmware available' ) every time I tried it.
You can go out to the Samsung web site and download the firmware to a USB drive and upgrade the TV. This worked fine for me.
post #815 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowfaster View Post

So I was dusting off the screen of my 51D7000 and noticed a dead pixel. It actually looks green on light backgrounds. The pixel is not noticeble from normal viewing distance but still bugs me.

I purchased the TV on Amazon sold by Amazon. Now my question is should I contact Amazon or Samsung and if anyone has any experience with returning a TV to Amazon?

Would they want me to ship it back to them and I would be without a tv for a couple weeks to a month or what? Or would they send a replacement and pick it up at the same time. I really don't want to be without a tv for a month(I know its sad). Or should I go through Samsung?

Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks

I would deal with amazon before your return policy is up
post #816 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz11 View Post

Watching a hockey game this effect is very noticable, especially when the camera follows the puck from one end of the ice to the other. I've tried multiple different types of settings and resets but nothing has worked which makes me believe this is ABL. It is a full screen brightening or darkening of the picture, and is by no means 'gradual'.

Currently I'm using Dans settings from page 21 of this thread on my 59D7000

Here is a quick video I took of the hockey game today, and you can see a couple of these effects just during this 40second video. Just watch the color of the ice when the camera follows the puck to the right end of the rink.

Sorry I'm not much of a videographer, but I think you can get the idea.

The funny part is that I can clearly see the reflection from your window on the screen. That would bother me way more...LOL
post #817 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 AM

So is this ABL something I would need to learn to live with? I have the 6500 and noticed this last night watching Lost via Netflix. There are not a lot of "bright" scenes to speak of like the examples with hockey ice or a white PC window, but there were times where it noticeably went dim, and then would come out of it. The dim scene just made everything look too dark.

I only post this question here since the 6500 thread seems to be no-mans land.
post #818 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzep77 View Post

The funny part is that I can clearly see the reflection from your window on the screen. That would bother me way more...LOL

HA! I didn't notice that before now. That is the sliding glass door that is to the left of the couch which normally has the blinds half open.

I took the video from a different angle than my normal viewing angle, so that reflection isn't noticable at all from the 'seating area'.

post #819 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

So is this ABL something I would need to learn to live with? I have the 6500 and noticed this last night watching Lost via Netflix. There are not a lot of "bright" scenes to speak of like the examples with hockey ice or a white PC window, but there were times where it noticeably went dim, and then would come out of it. The dim scene just made everything look too dark.

This seems to be the consensus. There may be ways to 'limit' ABL with screen settings, but no way to disable it.
post #820 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz11 View Post

This seems to be the consensus. There may be ways to 'limit' ABL with screen settings, but no way to disable it.

So is this ABL issue new in 2011? I mean I don't think my c8000 has the issue. Did last year's Pannys have it? What happened in 2011 to bring it about? New regulations? New standards? Laws?
post #821 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Fact is that plasma sets are known for their great black levels.

They just don't do whites very well.

Everything in-between is beautiful.
post #822 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Fact is that plasma sets are known for their great black levels.

They just don't do whites very well.

Everything in-between is beautiful.

They seem to do whites just fine, when the whites are not covered by the ABL mask.

I'd like to take ABL out to the backyard and shoot him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

So is this ABL issue new in 2011? I mean I don't think my c8000 has the issue. Did last year's Pannys have it? What happened in 2011 to bring it about? New regulations? New standards? Laws?

It was probably a feature implemented due to this rampant environmentalism nonsense. Regardless, it's very disappointing having it on such an expensive product.
post #823 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

They seem to do whites just fine, when the whites are not covered by the ABL mask.

Watching normal HDTV you'll get the opportunity to view many commercials that use a solid white background. Any LCD set will show them as bright white, while any plasma will be a light grey, due to ABL. This certainly does not add to plasma's credentials for color accuracy.

White is the most extreme example, but any lighter colored solid color will be impacted by the ABL mask.

A quick trip to a retailer that has a wall of sets will allow you to stand back and pick out the plasma sets from the test loop, once the right solid color background is required.

I find plasma to have a lush fluid presentation of most images. I do find this ABL mask issue to be a flaw in otherwise pristine image presentation.
post #824 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Watching normal HDTV you'll get the opportunity to view many commercials that use a solid white background. Any LCD set will show them as bright white, while any plasma will be a light grey, due to ABL. This certainly does not add to plasma's credentials for color accuracy.

White is the most extreme example, but any lighter colored solid color will be impacted by the ABL mask.

A quick trip to a retailer that has a wall of sets will allow you to stand back and pick out the plasma sets from the test loop, once the right solid color background is required.

I find plasma to have a lush fluid presentation of most images. I do find this ABL mask issue to be a flaw in otherwise pristine image presentation.

Yes, well, I guess you cannot have it all. Plasmas do do blacks better than LEDs though, and most everything else looks better to me on plasmas. So I guess I'll just have to deal with this, as I don't think there's a better option.
post #825 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 6 year old pre kuro Pioneer and I have never noticed an artifact as noticeable as that video. The brightness hiccups look awful. I just put my 64" d8000 decision on hold.

Birgir "keyser"
post #826 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

I have a 6 year old pre kuro Pioneer and I have never noticed an artifact as noticeable as that video. The brightness hiccups look awful. I just put my 64" d8000 decision on hold.

These are the sorts of posts which concern me. I am wondering just how many different lines of plasmas are effected by this ABL brightness dimming. If it is in fact not all of them, I'll just send this D7000 back and get a comparable plasma without dimming. But I'm hearing mixed things. Some plasma users are saying they've never experienced such a thing while others are saying it's inherent in the technology. What's true?
post #827 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Well it sounds like he's making a decision of not getting d8000 based on the videos posted in this thread for the d7000...
post #828 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

White looks white, not light grey, on my plasma (59D6500). Correspondingly, I think this ABL issue is way overblown.

And when viewed on a wall of other TVs, one better keep in mind those LCD sets have their brightness turned way up... much higher than they will be set by most people in their homes (assuming they don't want to squint while watching a movie).
post #829 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

White looks white, not light grey, on my plasma (59D6500)

Interesting.
post #830 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

Interesting.

Try setting the color temp to normal or cool and checking the whites again. LCDs to my eyes have always seemed to be naturally cooler looking than a plasma. Yes the ABL will still dim the image, but it will give the illusion of brighter whites.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #831 of 4136 Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 PM

I've been working on calibrating all weekend with HCFR and an i1. I'm a novice so it's been a lot of trial and error but I'm getting close to hopefully having some good settings to post. Been having most problems with getting a consistent gamma rating but messing around with the 10 pt has helped. With what I have now I think hockey looks way better, even staying with the Warm2 setting, there also seems to be less dimming.

If anyone wants me to I'll post what I got so far tomorrow and just update. I'd be interested how hockey looks to others
post #832 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

I've been working on calibrating all weekend with HCFR and an i1. I'm a novice so it's been a lot of trial and error but I'm getting close to hopefully having some good settings to post. Been having most problems with getting a consistent gamma rating but messing around with the 10 pt has helped. With what I have now I think hockey looks way better, even staying with the Warm2 setting, there also seems to be less dimming.

If anyone wants me to I'll post what I got so far tomorrow and just update. I'd be interested how hockey looks to others

never hurts to post them up.... Thanks
post #833 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

Sure, thanks!
post #834 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Anyone else have a problem with Picture Settings being saved? I set it to the Picture mode to movie and customize some settings. Then after turning the TV off for the night when I turn it on in the morning the Picture mode has changed to Dynamic and the settings are changed... Switching back to Movie, the settings are also reset...I talked to Samsung chat support, they had me reset the TV that hasn't helped...The next step they say is sending someone out to repair the TV?!
post #835 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

Anyone else have a problem with Picture Settings being saved? I set it to the Picture mode to movie and customize some settings. Then after turning the TV off for the night when I turn it on in the morning the Picture mode has changed to Dynamic and the settings are changed... Switching back to Movie, the settings are also reset...I talked to Samsung chat support, they had me reset the TV that hasn't helped...The next step they say is sending someone out to repair the TV?!

Are you sure you changed the overall setting from "store" (I think that's what it's called) to "home"? I recall from awhile back on several models that if the TV is left in "store" mode, it will always revert back to preset settings when turned off and then back on.
post #836 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Just wanted to pop in here and say thank you to everyone's info and feedback on this set. My PN59D7000 arrived about a week ago and has been GREAT! It's replacing a 7 year old Samsung 43" DLP so the improvement in picture quality is enormous! This is my first plasma so I was worried about the dreaded "buzzing" and IR, but I have to say (knock on wood) that I haven't had any issues.

I've been contemplating paying for a calibration. What are everyone's thoughts on that? Is it worth it?
post #837 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundedo View Post

Just wanted to pop in here and say thank you to everyone's info and feedback on this set. My PN59D7000 arrived about a week ago and has been GREAT! It's replacing a 7 year old Samsung 43" DLP so the improvement in picture quality is enormous! This is my first plasma so I was worried about the dreaded "buzzing" and IR, but I have to say (knock on wood) that I haven't had any issues.

I've been contemplating paying for a calibration. What are everyone's thoughts on that? Is it worth it?

Go here and read reviews from people who have had a pro calibration.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712929

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #838 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Go here and read reviews from people who have had a pro calibration.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712929

Thank you for the link!

While I'm thinking about it, I do have one nagging issue. My current setup is as follows:

Samsung PN59D7000
Samsung BD-D6500
Onkyo TX-NR808

The BD is running through the receiver to the TV. On my Harmony remote, when I switch from watching the BD to watching TV, it changes the input to the tuner on the TV instead of leaving it on HDMI1/DVI. I've verified the macro settings on the Harmony (i.e. to watch TV it should be set to HDMI1), but it still switches the input to the tuner. I'm not sure if it's because of the Anynet connection or the Harmony.
post #839 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Bare in mind this is still a work in progress. I've been mostly concentrating on getting the right combo of brightness, contrast and gamma. Personally I think the blacks look good, and hockey looks considerably better to me. I'd like opinions on both of those points especially. FYI, I'm using DirecTV

Picture Mode - Movie
Cell Light - 20
Contrast - 93
Brightness - 52
Sharpness - 20 (Personal preference)
Color - 51
Tint - 52/48

Advanced Settings

Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Custom (No changes yet)
White Balance - 38/30/33/20/26/11
10pt WB - Interval 9(2/0/-5), Interval 10(6/3/0)
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhance - Off
Motion Lighting - Off
xvYCC - Off

Picture Options

Color Tone - Warm2
Digital NF - Off
MPEG NF - Off
Film Mode - Off
post #840 of 4136 Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundedo View Post

The BD is running through the receiver to the TV. On my Harmony remote, when I switch from watching the BD to watching TV, it changes the input to the tuner on the TV instead of leaving it on HDMI1/DVI. I've verified the macro settings on the Harmony (i.e. to watch TV it should be set to HDMI1), but it still switches the input to the tuner. I'm not sure if it's because of the Anynet connection or the Harmony.

I have a somewhat similar set up minus Anynet and I'm not having that issue. FWIW, I'm using HDMI4 for my TV and PS3, and HDMI1 for my PC.

Which Harmony? I've been using the 880 but will be getting the One today or tomorrow.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page