Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
He meant Amazon.com. Their prices fluctuate throughout the day. It was a bit cheaper than yesterday but they're no longer offering the 3D starter kit, so it's actually not as good a deal. I would recommend trying to find a retailer that includes the kit, although Amazon is still a great place to buy a TV because of their excellent service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I am debating whether or not to get the D7000 or the D8000.

Other than the 3D difficulties encountered that you mentioned in the other thread, have you found any other problems caused by enabling and calibrating the CAL modes in the D7000?

I am quite proficient in calibration and have been doing such for five years. I currently use an i1 LT profiled to my certified i1 Pro. I mention all this only for the purpose of defining the term "calibration" in my question.

Thanks,
Larry

Two bugs...

1) 3D functionality is impaired within CAL.
2) Dithering. This was also present on the 2009/2010 models. Whenever you are in CAL and exit from the Smart Hub (apps) interface, more dithering will be present on the display. You have to toggle between MOVIE and CAL to remove the dithering.
post #993 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettxw View Post

There was no mention of the 3D Kit when I ordered my PN64D7000, and one didn't show up with the TV.
I called Amazon and they had me order the kit then they credited my account. It'll be here on the 6th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

Guys, I purchased a 64PND7000 from amazon before the starter kit was included as a bonus. Do you think it's possible/probable for me to call amazon up and get them to send me a free 3D starter kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp427 View Post

Never hurts to ask, but I think it's pretty unlikely that Amazon will help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

Ye of little faith Zetherin, call them, and if they don't give it to you, ask dettxw what he said to get it

All I did was to call Amazon and inquire about the Samsung Press Release and my lack of glasses or a kit in my order of April 28th, which was after the press release date of the 24th.
The CSR looked at their PN64D7000 web page and observed that they were at that time (May 4th) advertising the 3D kit for free, and that my purchase was within the time window mentioned in the press release (http://www.samsungusanews.com/2011/0...ble-than-ever/) (Beginning April 24, Samsung will provide two pairs of 3D active glasses for its entire 3D TV lineup at no additional cost with the purchase of any Samsung 3D LED TV or 3D Plasma TV.)
Then the CSR told me to order the kit and that they would credit the cost of the kit to the TV purchase which they did.
Got the kit on the 6th.
I did not see them actually advertising the kit when I bought my TV from Amazon, but then the 24-month financing blurb also appears in the same box on the web page, possibly it may have come up with a page refresh, that's what happened with the CSR, the free kit advertisement didn't show up right away.
While my TV was advertised as sold by Paul's TV and fulfilled by Amazon my order history only shows sold by Amazon. Maybe there is a different relationship there say, vs. with Electronics Expo?
Now I'm a Prime member and tend to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, maybe that had some effect? Just a possibility.
Good luck to everyone getting their 3D kit directly from Samsung.

BTW, saw Thor in polarized 3D at the Moore Warren and the 3D on my home set is much better.
It's way cool to get the sit-down bar and food service in The Balcony (http://www.warrentheatres.com/moorebalcony.asp) at The Warren, but I think I'll be saving some money and watching more movies at home on the new PN64D7000.
post #994 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAtheist View Post

Hey guys is the PN51D7000 a lot better than the PN51D6500? I may be getting the D6500 but I don't know what the major differences are with the D7000.

They should offer very similar PQ in moderate lighting conditions. The distinction is an additional antiglare filter (Real Black Filter) that attenuates off-axis light. The D7000 also has a brushed metal bezel vs the D6500's brushed plastic.

IMO, if you're working with a budget, it's better to put $$$ toward a 59/64" panel than a step-up model for reasons of size and improved black level / contrast ratio.
post #995 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

Do you mean 2D>3D mode? If so then yes, both NBA and NHL I experienced it. I found it too annoying and distracting. I haven't really watched anything on ESPN3D yet

yes it was during the 2d:3d mode. I have yet to watch a basketball game broadcast on ESPN3D I hope it is not as bad?
post #996 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Hey sorry guys, Im running break in slides this time around on my 64d7000 and i put the slides on a usb and plugged it in the display, What should i have the contrast and brightness and the other settings at during break in period. And can i run this 150 hours straight???
post #997 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In 2010, All Samsung 3DTVs had a mechanism for changing labels on the various inputs. According to the 2011 user manuals, there is no longer an 'input' option off the main menu. How can a user label an input on a 2011 Samsung 3DTV?
post #998 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Hi guys! Well really looking into buying the 51d7000. I just got the LG 55lw5600 but after testing The Dark Knight it might be going back.
I have a few question first, "real black filter" what does it do? The tv will be in our living room with windows on the side but with curtains. Will the filter help the picture stay black with a lighted room?
Other things that put me of is IR,video games, and all this talk about running a image for 150 hours.
post #999 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
BTW, saw Thor in polarized 3D at the Moore Warren and the 3D on my home set is much better.
It's way cool to get the sit-down bar and food service in The Balcony (http://www.warrentheatres.com/moorebalcony.asp) at The Warren, but I think I'll be saving some money and watching more movies at home on the new PN64D7000.
We have yet to experience the Moore Warren Balcony we're just a couple miles away in Norman. By not going, we were adding toward saving up...for our PN64D7000 that came last week! If you say it is a better experience, then there is now no reason for us to ever experience the Warren Balcony. It is a very nice theater though.
post #1000 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post
Does anyone else experience horrible brightness fluctuations while watching sports in 3D?
Yes, I've noticed it a number of times, actually every time I've tried the 2D>3D conversion on sports, namely the NBA playoffs. It's extremely annoying to the point where it's not usable. Tried it on the movie "Up" and the same thing.

Anybody else noticing this?
post #1001 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito3 View Post
Hi guys! Well really looking into buying the 51d7000. I just got the LG 55lw5600 but after testing The Dark Knight it might be going back.
I have a few question first, "real black filter" what does it do? The tv will be in our living room with windows on the side but with curtains. Will the filter help the picture stay black with a lighted room?
Other things that put me of is IR,video games, and all this talk about running a image for 150 hours.
I also recently got a 51D7000. The real black filter is a polarizing filter. Which basically means that it will reduce *off-axis* light reflections (overhead lights in particular). It doesn't really reduce the direct reflections from the row of windows behind my couch (or the lamp behind the lazy boy). After all, it is still a glass panel so you will get direct reflections. But if you windows are to the side of where you sit to watch, I think the filter will help.

It's a great TV, enjoy!
post #1002 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickylane44 View Post
Yes, I've noticed it a number of times, actually every time I've tried the 2D>3D conversion on sports, namely the NBA playoffs. It's extremely annoying to the point where it's not usable. Tried it on the movie "Up" and the same thing.

Anybody else noticing this?

I haven't gotten my 3D glasses yet. Ordered them on Amazon, but ETA not until early to mid June =(

But it sounds like it may be a timing issue. If the shutter timing of your glasses is slightly off compared to the screen refresh it could cause this problem.

How do you like the 2D>3D feature in general? Tried it for gaming?

--tb
post #1003 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb2002 View Post
I also recently got a 51D7000. The real black filter is a polarizing filter. Which basically means that it will reduce *off-axis* light reflections (overhead lights in particular). It doesn't really reduce the direct reflections from the row of windows behind my couch (or the lamp behind the lazy boy). After all, it is still a glass panel so you will get direct reflections. But if you windows are to the side of where you sit to watch, I think the filter will help.

It's a great TV, enjoy!
Regarding direct reflections, I think it diffuses them, too. I think it makes them less obvious.
post #1004 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

It's a great TV, enjoy!
On my 59D7000, the RBF attenuates light from above and below but not from the side. So my guess is that it's not a polarizing filter.
post #1005 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
Regarding direct reflections, I think it diffuses them, too. I think it makes them less obvious.
The RBF actually increases specular reflection at the expense of less glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post
On my 59D7000, the RBF attenuates light from above and below but not from the side. So my guess is that it's not a polarizing filter.
You could say it's vertically polarized.
post #1006 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM

So my 51D7000 arrived and I'm very happy with the picture. The blacks seem MUCH deeper than on my 50C7000 it replaced. I do have one gripe, though. When the TV is on its stand, it tilts slightly toward the ceiling (I'd say about 5° or so). I held a level vertically up to the bezel to make sure I wasn't imagining things, and is really is leaning back. Is this true with anybody else's 51D7000? Is there a better way to fix this other than putting something under the back of the stand? The stand is level and so is the entertainment stand, so it's definitely a problem with how the panel sits on the stand.
post #1007 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
While my TV was advertised as sold by Paul's TV and fulfilled by Amazon my order history only shows sold by Amazon. Maybe there is a different relationship there say, vs. with Electronics Expo?
Now I'm a Prime member and tend to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, maybe that had some effect? Just a possibility.
Good luck to everyone getting their 3D kit directly from Samsung.
Doubt it. Buying from Amazon vs. buying from a vendor on Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon, seems to be quite similar. I think the only difference with TVs is that one doesn't get the 15 day price protection, at least it doesn't mention it. Am I missing any other difference(s)?

Now, buying from a vendor on Amazon, and fulfilled by that given vendor, is a whole other ball game, as one is subject that vendor's policies.
post #1008 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post
The RBF actually increases specular reflection at the expense of less glare.
In the case of TVs, would 'glare' be described as 'washing out' / 'losing contrast'?
If not, then how would you describe it?

Quote:
You could say it's vertically polarized.
So, with my TV room having many side windows, two small back windows, (and just a little diffused artificial light from the other room), the D6500 is a better choice?

Still not sure. I would just get the D7000, if I knew if was better in all lighting cases; but, like I said, the D6500 might actually be better for rooms like ours. I would hate to spend more for the D7000, and have it be a little worse for us.
post #1009 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post
In the case of TVs, would 'glare' be described as 'washing out' / 'losing contrast'?

So, with my TV room having many side windows, two small back windows, (and just a little diffused artificial light from the other room), the D6500 is a better choice?

Still not sure. I would just get the D7000, if I knew if was better in all lighting cases; but, like I said, the D6500 might actually be better for rooms like ours. I would hate to spend more for the D7000, and have it be a little worse for us.
A D7000 isn't going to be "worse". The question is how much better it will be in any given setting vs a D6500. I've seen both and the D7000 is marginally better in black level from my viewing but it's not a truly big difference.
post #1010 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I haven't gotten my 3D glasses yet. Ordered them on Amazon, but ETA not until early to mid June =(

But it sounds like it may be a timing issue. If the shutter timing of your glasses is slightly off compared to the screen refresh it could cause this problem.

--tb

I like the effect, which is much more subtle than "real" 3D. It works fine for 3D, but the 2d>3D is not good. The pic constantly flickers with light fluctuations. If it was a sync problem wouldn't it happen all the time? I tried different glasses and that didn't matter.
post #1011 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

--tb

2D->3D is cool at first but after seeing real 3D sources the conversion feature loses its initial appeal quickly...Actual 3D sources have much more depth and the images "pop" alot more. And for the little bit of 3D effect you see with the conversion, it really doesn't make wearing the glasses worth it...But don't get me wrong, ESPN 3D, and 3D blu-ray movies are very cool and well worth wearing the glasses...

I just started playing Crysis 2 on Xbox 360, which has a stereoscopic 3D mode and it's cool...Shooting guys and running through 3D environments was pretty sick
post #1012 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's exactly how I would describe it.

Quote:

In my experience with the C7000 and D7000, there's a decent improvement in reducing glare / improving perceived contrast in bright conditions. Reflections are little more apparent on the D7000, but not a huge difference. Most people, including CNET editors, prefer glossy black screens to less reflective, gray ones. My post below has a shot of the C7000 next to the D7000. The C6500/D6500 filter appears similar to the C7000.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20330918

The true benefit of the RBF comes into play in the evening... with overhead lighting, it creates the appearance of inky black. Sort of like bias lighting coming from above, rather than behind, the display.
post #1013 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Doubt it. Buying from Amazon vs. buying from a vendor on Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon, seems to be quite similar. I think the only difference with TVs is that one doesn't get the 15 day price protection, at least it doesn't mention it. Am I missing any other difference(s)?

Now, buying from a vendor on Amazon, and fulfilled by that given vendor, is a whole other ball game, as one is subject that vendor's policies.

I ain't buying **** from amazon anymore!! They have $800 of my money on hold till 90 days. They are reviewing my seller account. I have zero claims and no way of explaining or talking about my account. My pn51d7000 will be bought at Fry's for $1299,00
post #1014 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Yes. The difference between the 550 and 7000 was not exactly subtle in my room (sliding glass door, 5x5' side window and tile floors).
post #1015 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Well might be picking the 51d7000 Tuesday in exchange for the LG lw5600. I just hope this plasma has better blacks. Also does this tv have that "soap opera "effect?it's cool if it does since I like that. IR is the only thing that worries me. The floor model had a DVD sample menu for at least 1 hour with out any movement. Then I put on the tv menu and saw the universal logo still there. I take it with a few minutes of full screen tv that would go away ?
post #1016 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito3 View Post

I ain't buying **** from amazon anymore!! They have $800 of my money on hold till 90 days. They are reviewing my seller account. I have zero claims and no way of explaining or talking about my account. My pn51d7000 will be bought at Fry's for $1299,00

Do you follow the rules on Amazon the same way you do this site? Might be your problem...
post #1017 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Does the youtube and hulu plus app in the d7000 support HD content? i know the roku box does...was hoping i wouldnt need to buy one if i bought the d7000...
post #1018 of 4123 Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post

Do you follow the rules on Amazon the same way you do this site? Might be your problem...

Yes buddy! Just Google "amazon withholding funds" and you will see I'm one of hundreds with same problem! Coincidence ?
post #1019 of 4123 Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickylane44 View Post

I like the effect, which is much more subtle than "real" 3D. It works fine for 3D, but the 2d>3D is not good. The pic constantly flickers with light fluctuations. If it was a sync problem wouldn't it happen all the time? I tried different glasses and that didn't matter.

It's most definitely not a sync issue. I can see the fluctuations even with the glasses off.
post #1020 of 4123 Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Any know the actual size dimension of the box the pn51d7000 comes in?also I'm sure this won't fit sitting up straight in my PT cruiser so can have on an angle maybe a corner of the box resting on my seat.I had a 55 LG lw5600 fit in the Pt but on an angle. I'm worried this being a plasma how much of an angle or can it can be laying flat for an hour and half drive.
Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page