Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4123 Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Koffas,

Can you take a still pic of line bleed Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4123 Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Can someone with the 7000 please let me know about the plug and whether or not it's flat?
post #93 of 4123 Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Koffas,

Another post From a 2011 Samsung Forum(don't remember which) indicated that Samsung Rep implied that there is not a LCE feature on either the D7 or 8000 series TV. Since it appears that you were unable to determine it's use might be another conformation that it wont be an added feature?
post #94 of 4123 Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM

By "flat" I think that he means: When the plug from the TV is plugged into the wall outlet, the cord points straight down and would not be able to fit in a recessed outlet. Would be helpfull if someone could answer this!
post #95 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikOne View Post

Hey guys, I have been following this thread and the 2011 Samsung Plasma thread as well. Last night I went to my local brandsmart and they had a great deal on the 59D7000. Lower than anything I had seen advertised anywhere. I picked it up along with the free 3d kit. They also had a smoking deal on the onkyo 608 to replace my non-3d model. I am replacing a 58" HP DLP 5880N that I have had since 2006.

Anyways, I setup my tv last night and it was a dud. Had a huge line of dead pixels going from the top of the tv all the way to the bottom, probably half an inch wide. I called the store and they didn't have any in stock, so i will probably have to wait a few days so I can exchange. I got a 5 year in-home warranty as well and the price on that was unbelievable as well.

Apart from this issue I am happy with the aesthetic look of the tv. Its simply beautiful. I played Black ops on it last night on my ps3 and had no lag whatsoever. I am not a videophile so I will defiently need help with the settings. The picture seemed a bit dark for me in movie mode but there are tons of tweaks on this thing.

Overall i am very excited with my purchase just really bummed out that I have to deal with re-packaging this thing and lugging it back to the store when they get another one in stock so I can exchange. I'm not the type of person that overreacts to these sorts of things, I understand even the highest end models of any products can be defective. I will withhold my judgment until I get a properly working set that I can enjoy for a few weeks first.

Ok my patience paid off as I got a call from the salesman yesterday and told me they had secured my replacement from their warehouse and would have it ready the same day. I went and exchanged the tv there last night and they really made it easy. I was in and out of there in 20 minutes max.

I got the TV home, setup my new Onkyo 608 and plugged in the tv. No issues on this one. I look forward to tweaking the settings on this one and hopefully someone will post some settings to start at. I didn't try the 3D as im waiting for my 1.4 HDMI cables to get here from monoprice.
post #96 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 AM

I will be receiving the my new Samsung P59D7000 Plasma on Friday.

I live in a co-cop apartment building and my bedroom's size is 18 x 12.5 and the viewing distance is around 10.5 feet.

I will be able to play the Plasma at normal sound levels during the day, but at lower sound levels at night due to the sleeping neighbors.

Do I need an additional sound source such the soundbars like the Zvox 525, 575, Samsung HW-C450, HW-C451, Sony CT-150, CT-350, Vizio VSB200, etc.?

I read that the Zvox soundbars are highly rated but expensive.

The Samsung soundbars work very well with the Samsung Plasmas, but they use wireless sub-woofers that can interfere with the 2.4 GHZ wireless networks.

The Sony soundbars have multiple HDMI connections on the sub-woofer, so you can control the video and audio equipment through the sub-woofer.

The Vizio soundbars are inexpensive but how is their quality?

Are these soundbars an overkill for my apartment situation, or is the sound on the Samsung P59D7000 Plasma that inferior that it needs the soundbars to project a much better and clearer sound?

Thank You.

Jonathan

post #97 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Picked this TV up last night at Fry's. It was a managers special...hint, hint! I set it up and turned it on but that was about all I had time for. Great looking TV. I did notice a buzz when I turned it on but seem to fade after a few minutes. I also have a 58VT25 in the living room and I have to say, with "out of the box" settings the VT has noticeably darker blacks. I have the VT set on THX and the 7000 on movie. Thanks!

Edit: I have the 51"
post #98 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM

I think you're slightly off topic, but you don't NEED a sound bar, all tv's produce an adequate amount of sound. I have an older Samsung Plasma and the sound is more than loud enough to get you likely in trouble by your neighbors if you crank it up.

Now having said that, the sound quality will GREATLY improve if you use an external speaker. I'm not familiar with all the different sound bars, but any one of them will be an improvement over the stock speakers from an acoustic perspective.
post #99 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfisher View Post

koffas, can you take an up-close pic of the plug when it's plugged in? I'm having my basement built out and I'm looking at buying a recessed wall outlet and I want to make sure it will fit through the recessed part.

BTW, your pics at the beginning of the thread are fantastic. Thanks for posting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfost24 View Post

Can someone with the 7000 please let me know about the plug and whether or not it's flat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippykiyaa View Post

By "flat" I think that he means: When the plug from the TV is plugged into the wall outlet, the cord points straight down and would not be able to fit in a recessed outlet. Would be helpfull if someone could answer this!

The cord points down.

post #100 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Koffas,

Can you take a still pic of line bleed Thanks!

Everyone's favorite test... pretty good, IMO.

post #101 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
can you take some pics with some HD or Blu-ray content playing?...some night shots as well
post #102 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post

Thanks for clarifying this koffas. I was actually going to ask you about this specific behaviour of floating blacks but you have read my mind

You see, on my previous Panasonic, a 54V20, I found the floating blacks to be intolerable due to the specific way they had implemented it (i.e scene change...wait...then black floats up/down...so annoying!). Whereas the floating blacks on my other Panasonic, a 42PZ800, are instantaneous with APL, and funnily enough I find it completely tolerable. Although on that set, the MLL itself doesn't change, just the low end gamma brightens/darkens depending on APL. But as mentioned, it's instantaneous, so on a scene change you don't even get time to see it happening.

For the Samsung though, I would have to see just how much the black level floats, and where exactly the threshold is. If the threshold is set high enough, and it's instantaneous enough, it *could* be ok.

Question: is it only the idling pixels which change in brightness, or is it the entire frame that gets brighter/darker?

It's hard to say from a normal viewing distance, but I'll report if I can discern a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippykiyaa View Post

Koffas,

Another post From a 2011 Samsung Forum(don't remember which) indicated that Samsung Rep implied that there is not a LCE feature on either the D7 or 8000 series TV. Since it appears that you were unable to determine it's use might be another conformation that it wont be an added feature?

Perhaps, but Samsung could add features post-release via a firmware update. Or it could already be enabled (floating luminance?) with no option to disable in the user menu.
post #103 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

The cord points down.

Thank you for taking those. I really appreciate it.
post #104 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Just ordered the 64". Should ship today. Pretty excited. Ordered it from an authorized dealer that's running a great bundle price (I thought), if anyone is interested. My new TV stand arrives tomorrow, too, so it's all coming together. Can't wait. The pictures here have me really anticipating the set.
post #105 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM

I have an unrelated question.. (I apologize). I keep hearing people ordering these tvs which I would also like to do. Is there any concern of them breaking during shipping? If so, will the vendor replace it? I've seen how my UPS guy handles boxes.....
post #106 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

I have an unrelated question.. (I apologize). I keep hearing people ordering these tvs which I would also like to do. Is there any concern of them breaking during shipping? If so, will the vendor replace it? I've seen how my UPS guy handles boxes.....

It won't be delivered by UPS. When the delivery company comes, have it unboxed and plugged in. If there are any issues, do not accept delivery.
post #107 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Just bought home my PN59D7000 last night. Set up was simple and colors look great. Spent over 7 hrs watching any and everything I could get my hands on, including some Avatar, broadcast tv, ESPN and the Into the Deep 3D movie from last year's bundle.

I have to say the skin tones out the box were a little on the yellow side (Picture mode was Movie) but moving to Warm 1 setting fixed that. Watching Avatar on my PS3, I elected to go with Dynamic picture mode. I lowered the Cell light and it was breath taking. If I had one complaint it would be the remote. While I'm not a fan of the looks of the qwerty remote, playing with it in store was nice. The remote you get with the tv isnt that great. The directional pad and the ok button in the middle are almost flush with each other so navigating in the dark or without looking is hard. also, its hard to explain, but the button feel is a little hit or miss. Neither are issues for me since I programed my Harmony One today, but just an fyi.

Also, it was a bit funny that since these tvs are sooo new, there isnt any real support for them on Samsung's site. I couldnt even register it since my model wasn't listed!

All in all, happy with the purchase. I would have loved the web browser and remote but both can be added later (for a browser, I'm connecting a HTPC probably). I do hope the MJC will be enabled later because it is sorely missed. Picture looks just fine without it, but it does add something to some movies. I'll have pics in a few minutes.
post #108 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 PM

So my 3D glasses from my last year Sammy LED will not sync with my new D7000. Sucks. I didn't get the starter kit but Frys has the "match anything". Where are some of you getting the starter kit with this TV? PM please. Thanks!!
post #109 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfisher View Post

Thank you for taking those. I really appreciate it.

Yes, thank you for taking those!

Is there a price talk thread on the 2011 Sammys? I just put in my PN59D7000 order with the guy that is doing my custom wiring and installation in my new apartment. I did better than what's advertised online, but have to pay sales tax (my donation to the suffering NY State and City budget I guess) and would like to get a sense of where others are coming in.

Price talk Thread?
post #110 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot770 View Post

Picture looks just fine without it, but it does add something to some movies. I'll have pics in a few minutes.

where's the pics?
post #111 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
koffas, if you have a hot girlfriend/wife/daughter can you take a picture of her.

In front of the TV of course.

LOL

You should charge for your photo shoots. :/

buytme
post #112 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

where's the pics?

Lol, time flies when you're playing with settings, etc. Here's a few pics taken last night and then today with the lights off. Sorry about the bad picture quality but I didnt use my other camera.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #113 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

So my 3D glasses from my last year Sammy LED will not sync with my new D7000. Sucks. I didn't get the starter kit but Frys has the "match anything". Where are some of you getting the starter kit with this TV? PM please. Thanks!!

sent pm
post #114 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The cord points down.

Is that a two-prong power plug?
post #115 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Best Buy has them as a freebie.
post #116 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Is that a two-prong power plug?

No, its a 3 prong cord
post #117 of 4123 Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone's favorite test... pretty good, IMO.

Actually that does not look too bad and is on par with the 58vt25 from last year. Do the other instances (commercials, etc) look like that or more or less? Thanks! Local B&M stores in Denver still do not have this TV or the d8000 plasma yet.
post #118 of 4123 Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnxv6 View Post

I would be quite surprised if they brought it back just by a firmware update. Hopefully they have the mjc chipset built in the tv for that. They may have dropped it for a reason and if they meant it to be removed then they probably did not install a chipset for it. I'm still waiting for an update to improve mjc on the c7000/c8000 series. It still has crappy artifacts and halos around fast moving objects. Sony's motion flow is by far the best I've seen.

Can somene conform if MJC can be added thru firmware. Also, does this set have the CAl day and Cal night settings like the c8000 and c7000 sets of last year.

Thanks!
post #119 of 4123 Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM

@Koffas, How did you get your letterbox bars soooo black? Mine are no where near that dark. I have a 58VT25 and I hate to say it but completely blows my new Samsung out of the water.

I watched Black Swan last night and I could not keep my eyes off the letterbox bars because they were not very black. My TV is on Movie and I have not touched anything else. What is your secret?
post #120 of 4123 Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 AM

Thank for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Best Buy has them as a freebie.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page