Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see recommended in the OP to set Cell Light to 20, but the option is greyed out for me. So are a few of the eco settings. Is it a mode thing? I'm trying to use movie mode.

I think the brightness pops in the NBA game are flash pops from photographers, np?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicus View Post

I see recommended in the OP to set Cell Light to 20, but the option is greyed out for me. So are a few of the eco settings. Is it a mode thing? I'm trying to use movie mode.

I think the brightness pops in the NBA game are flash pops from photographers, np?

interesting i have to say when watching another 3d channel like 3Net I do not notice the brightness pops so it is just during the ESPN 3D basketball have not watched 3D in other sports.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicus View Post

A very likely explanation. I have not experienced any brighness pops, but I'm only watching 3D from blu ray, not cable.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_williams View Post

According to Samsung's earlier press release, most of us should be receiving the "3D Starter Kit (SSG-3100M)," not just two pairs of glasses.

This is just a cop-out of the part of Samsung - don't fall for it!

I will not be simply lying down by taking two pairs of glasses; I want what was originally promised!

You should do the same.

Well at least this is a good start. I was told flat out by my dealer that they don't participate in the deals that Samsung is promoting. So, I should be able to claim the glasses now (and maybe with a little bit of persistence the movie sets).

Has ANYONE received their 3D kits from Samsung after the promo began?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygolfer View Post

Has ANYONE received their 3D kits from Samsung after the promo began?

well not form samsung, but i just got my kit yesterday (ahead of the tv) from amazon.. so, they are still honoring the combo, (realize that doesn't help you)..
Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post

interesting i have to say when watching another 3d channel like 3Net I do not notice the brightness pops so it is just during the ESPN 3D basketball have not watched 3D in other sports.

Yes it is from the photographers taking pictures.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Has anyone investigated the service menu to see if the D8000 features are just disabled in the D7000?

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM

I need my full Serial Number, and the packing slip and box apparently omit a digit. Can I find this somewhere in the user interface? If not, can anyone take a quick peek and tell me exactly where the serial number is located on the back of the TV? The TV is wall-mounted, making access to the back panel extremely difficult, but I might be able to use a mirror if I know right where to look.

Here is a picture from a website. Is the SN on the white sticker on the left?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 AM

I guess I should have googled first. Not sure how old this link is, but it provides a picture of where the SN should be.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Just got my PN64D7000 today, out of the box the picture is pretty good. Will take pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durny1 View Post

There's a Samsung site to register to get the 2 pairs of 3D glasses:
www.samsung.com/us/3dglasses

Durny1

Thanks for posting. Looks like this is for the 2011 glasses, which I would rather have then the old glasses that come in the 3D Starter Kit. Also disappointing this TV did not come with any glasses out of the box.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3699 View Post

Thanks for posting. Looks like this is for the 2011 glasses, which I would rather have then the old glasses that come in the 3D Starter Kit

There are two versions of the starter kit. One is for 2011 and should be the one people are getting with their 2011 TVs (for those lucky enough to get one at all)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

I need my full Serial Number...
Here is a picture from a website. Is the SN on the white sticker on the left?

Yes.

mobilelawyer
at your service
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post

There are two versions of the starter kit. One is for 2011 and should be the one people are getting with their 2011 TVs (for those lucky enough to get one at all)

interesting, do you have the model # for the 2011 starter kit? All the ones I've seen come with the old glasses.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM

I am assuming by "old ones" you mean the IR ones from last year? Maybe misunderstood. In any case this one is the 2011 starter kit that comes with BT glasses.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM

I am starting to consider the 7000 instead of the ST30

Which one will be brighter? Very important to me. I don't care too much about color accuracy as I am partially colorblind. (I fail those circle tests but still can tell what colors are what in real life, just have a harder time). I still want a great picture though with detail being most important. I have my current LCD calibrated but can't imagine the image being more dim.

The samsung would be more expensive but comes with glasses. But it seems that the Samsung has more problems. Floating blacks, cinema smooth, and maybe more?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by /nev/dull View Post

well not form samsung, but i just got my kit yesterday (ahead of the tv) from amazon.. so, they are still honoring the combo, (realize that doesn't help you)..

Ditto - ordered Monday, 3D starter kit on a truck for delivery today, TV scheduled for Friday.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post

Which one will be brighter? Very important to me. I don't care too much about color accuracy as I am partially colorblind. (I fail those circle tests but still can tell what colors are what in real life, just have a harder time). I still want a great picture though with detail being most important. I have my current LCD calibrated but can't imagine the image being more dim.

The samsung would be more expensive but comes with glasses. But it seems that the Samsung has more problems. Floating blacks, cinema smooth, and maybe more?

If bright is your main objective, you really should be shopping for a LED/LCD, not plasma. Plasmas are superior in just about every other area, but the LED/LCDs are brighter.

Can't say whether the d7000 is brighter than the st30. I know you can really crank up the "cell level" on the d7000 to make it bright, but I still doubt it would be as bright as an LED.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

If bright is your main objective, you really should be shopping for a LED/LCD, not plasma. Plasmas are superior in just about every other area, but the LED/LCDs are brighter.

Can't say whether the d7000 is brighter than the st30. I know you can really crank up the "cell level" on the d7000 to make it bright, but I still doubt it would be as bright as an LED.

I really want the cheaper price of plasma, viewing angles, blacks, motion, and more. I guess I could turn up the contrast up and sacrifice some color accuracy.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM

So does anyone know how to activate the grayed out menu items? 3d depth, Cell light, eco, etc? Especially cell light in movie mode. Mine is set to 13 and I can't select it.

TIA!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got a 64D7000 delivered today to replace a Pio 5080HD. So far I am completely loving the set. It doesn't suffer from the horrible PWM noise that my Pio suffered. However, I immediately noticed "line bleed" (as in http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0124001845.jpg) and the fluctuating brightness. I'm a bit dissapointed in both, but I knew to expect the fluctuating brightness. I never noticed line bleed on my Pio, but it seems like it's a common issue amongst plasmas now. Do all D series Samsungs suffer from this?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post
I just got a 64D7000 delivered today to replace a Pio 5080HD. So far I am completely loving the set. It doesn't suffer from the horrible PWM noise that my Pio suffered. However, I immediately noticed "line bleed" (as in http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0124001845.jpg) and the fluctuating brightness. I'm a bit dissapointed in both, but I knew to expect the fluctuating brightness. I never noticed line bleed on my Pio, but it seems like it's a common issue amongst plasmas now. Do all D series Samsungs suffer from this?
That line bleed is very pronounced... the set that I looked at a local dealer didn't have it to this degree. I'll have my set soon to compare against.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should have pointed out that wasn't from my set. It's not nearly as bad on mine, but it's still noticeable. I first noticed it when I was watching the trailer for Uncharted 3. The Naughty Dog logo is displayed against a white background, and there was a faint black line all the way across the screen on either side of the logo. Additionally, on the final "It only does everything" screen (http://videogame2play.com/wp-content...everything.jpg) I could also see bleeding to either side of each set of letters.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post

I currently have a pn59d7000 and an p55st30 sitting in my home. I have been going back and forth on these two sets for over two weeks now. Both are great sets. The ST30 in custom mode with the back-light set to mid or high gets very bright but at the expense of image quality and over-saturation of colors.

If you are not too sensitive to color accuracy and brightness is one of your main purchase concerns the ST30 would suite you better since you can bump the back light up to mid or high and get a VERY bright image although not the most accurate image.

If you set the ST30 back light to low, it has a very clean image but is not as bright as the movie mode on the d7000 with the cell light set to 20. The difference being the d7000 in the recommended viewing mode, movie, is noticeably brighter than the ST30 in the recommended viewing mode, custom, with the back-light set to low.

Both TVs get bright enough to want to turn it down a notch in a dark viewing environment.

I am stuck in an OCD loop with these two sets. I have about two more weeks to test them out and then one has to go back. Not sure where I will end up.

D7000 - Very nice, natural colors and balance in the image with very little noise in the picture. Does not get as bright as the st30 and "appears" to have a lower contrast ratio when comparing them side by side. Comparable black levels to the st30 if not very slightly better.

My set does have floating blacks and it is not really that big of a problem. I notice it occasionally but not really a big deal at all. it does have a very slight buzz but you have to listen for it closely to hear it.

ST30 - Great contrast when the back light is set to mid or high but that leap in brightness is at the cost of accurate colors and gamma. it is nice to have the option to make it brighter if you want to though. Nice black levels.

This set does not buzz at all until you press your ear up to the screen. I have not seen any instance of floating blacks on this set. There was a section in the movie the Pianist where I noticed this occurred on the d7000 and it did not occur on the ST30 when testing the same scene.

So after this entire post, I guess I am in the same boat as you. I don't know which one to keep and feel no matter which way I decide to go, there will be something about the other I will wish I had. I can say that the ST30 has been 100% glitch and bug free.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Biotype,

Great little review. I noticed some similar things as well when I looked at both sets. In the end I got the Samsung 59D7000. Pathetic as it may sound, the style of the Samsung pushed me over the edge......the set looks damn nice, so thin as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

how is the crosstalk on this tv?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post
the ST30 in the recommended viewing mode, custom, with the back-light set to low.
Everything I've read and experienced with my ST30 suggests that "Cinema" is the only preset that has good gamma. CNET specifically mentions this in their review, and doing my own quick testing showed the exact same thing.

That is one of my major problems with the ST30. The only preset I find worthy of using is this cinema setting, as the gamma on every other setting is terrible. This would be no big deal if it weren't for the fact that the cinema settings is the dimmest setting by default, and there is no option of tweaking it to make it brighter.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post

I currently have a pn59d7000 and an p55st30 sitting in my home. I have been going back and forth on these two sets for over two weeks now. Both are great sets.

Very nice assessment Bio but a few questions, if you don't mind. I was surprised that the ST30 was brighter than the D7000 but, on balance, which of the sets has a higher degree of that shopworn term "pop". My impression has been that the Sammys usually come out on top in this area but maybe that's not correct. Have you run any standard DVDs to the Sammy? The ST30 does very well on them because of its new LSI vprocessing chips. Even with two weeks remaining in your "which on, which one" dilema, do you have an early sense of what maybe the real deciding factor should be: which set do you see yourself wanting to contstantly watch for the next few years? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM

is nobody else having issues with horizontal line bleeding? I have the PN64D7000 by the way. I attached those magnet circular things to the inputs and my power cord to block interference, but the bleeding seems to still happen.

I've also ran the burn protection thingy overnight.. but still bleeding.

any suggestions? or should i call samsung?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:19 PM

My pn51d7000 is emitting a ton of heat and it's making me a little concerned.... Is this normal because samsung is trying to tell me no to worry and could heat up to 100 degrees. I don't mind a little heat but when it's hot to touch and I can feel heat 3 or 4 ft from the tv
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbenjamins View Post

My pn51d7000 is emitting a ton of heat and it's making me a little concerned.... Is this normal because samsung is trying to tell me no to worry and could heat up to 100 degrees. I don't mind a little heat but when it's hot to touch and I can feel heat 3 or 4 ft from the tv

My 59D7000 is very warm as well and easily raises the temp of the room 2-3+ degrees. It also has a bit more buzz than I'd care for at my viewing distance of 8ft at low-normal volumes. Thinking of trying the 60" GT30 or ST30 instead, but I don't know how much of an improvement those will be (if any).

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg