post #181 of 4123 Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseybeemer View Post

Kaffas do you mind sharing what settings you are using, I'm not much of a techie but I can't seem to get the picture right. Standard feels like the colors are bleeding and movie is too dark. Any suggestions?

Traditionally, the MOVIE preset gives you the most neutral grayscale to begin with. You can look at CNET's or Home Theater Mag's settings for last year's C7000/8000 as a starting point.

My basic settings look like this.

Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 17-20 (believe this sets the ABL threshold; easiest adjustment to make based on ambient lighting conditions)
Contrast: 85-90
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0 (for 1080p, may want to go higher for SD / softer resolutions)
Color: 51
Tint: G52/R48
Color tone: Warm2 (closest to D65 color temp, some prefer Warm1 for a cooler image)
Size: Screen Fit (1:1 pixel mapping)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 AM

Liked: 10
In this italian site there is a little explanation of LCE system (for led model, but it should be the same for pdp).
It is the Micro-dimming!
They obtained technical charts from Samsung, but are not allowed to publish them.

I try to translate it, hope a little better than Google:

"The new technology is called Microdimming, and who knows Photoshop will have no difficult understanding what we're talking about. The Microdimming is a Local Contrast Enhancement filter. There was a similar filter in the past years TVs, but it analyzed the whole picture: it is like when we open a photo in Photoshop and we select "Adjust Curves" to adjust the tone on the high and low lights of the overall image.

This year, thanks to Microdimming, Samsung splits the image in 288 blocks and applies this procedure for each block, trying to maintain the same level of brightness on the border between a block and another. It is a software algorithm executed by CPU that seems to perform very well.

Things have gone even better for Americans, as they can boast the Microdimming Plus: this is nothing more than an additional chip on the card, missing in our TV (you can see the hole on the right), that is dedicated to this task. Being mostly derived from the processor chip used by Samsung on digital cameras, it offers much faster computational speed, more accuracy and most importantly less burdeness on the CPU thereby improving the whole image processing time (lower input lag). A choice that looks strange, though Samsung says that ultimately the differences are not so marked, and that the choice was made by Samsung Europe: the quality was already good even without the additional chip."

In other comments they confirmed that the number of blocks is certainly 288.
post #183 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolatc View Post

In this italian site there is a little explanation of LCE system (for led model, but it should be the same for pdp).
It is the Micro-dimming!
They obtained technical charts from Samsung, but are not allowed to publish them.

"The new technology is called Microdimming, and who knows Photoshop will have no difficult understanding what we're talking about. The Microdimming is a Local Contrast Enhancement filter. There was a similar filter in the past years TVs, but it analyzed the whole picture: it is like when we open a photo in Photoshop and we select "Adjust Curves" to adjust the tone on the high and low lights of the overall image.

This year, thanks to Microdimming, Samsung splits the image in 288 blocks and applies this procedure for each block, trying to maintain the same level of brightness on the border between a block and another. It is a software algorithm executed by CPU that seems to perform very well.

Things have gone even better for Americans, as they can boast the Microdimming Plus: this is nothing more than an additional chip on the card, missing in our TV (you can see the hole on the right), that is dedicated to this task. Being mostly derived from the processor chip used by Samsung on digital cameras, it offers much faster computational speed, more accuracy and most importantly less burdeness on the CPU thereby improving the whole image processing time (lower input lag). A choice that looks strange, though Samsung says that ultimately the differences are not so marked, and that the choice was made by Samsung Europe: the quality was already good even without the additional chip."

In other comments they confirmed that the number of blocks is certainly 288.

Interesting, but it sounds like a feature I'd rather have turned off, in which case I gather buying the D7000 is the easiest way of doing that. Or only way depending on whether anyone found this in the service menu?
post #184 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

I need to replace a broken 2010 58c8000. Until yesterday, when I actually went and played with the D8000, I thought I would need to get D8000 to get a comparable replacement (Picture quality and features). Now I'm thinking that wouldn't be sacrificing anything at all if I replaced my 58c8000 with the 59D7000.

Can anyone think of anything I'd sacrifice, in terms of 2D picture quality, streaming content from my PC, 3D PQ (which I believe might actually be improved or at least brighter in all 2011 models)

BTW, I'm aware that the c8000 has a browser, but I don't want that. I've also researched the seemingly phantom LCE feature. And I like the stand better on c7000. What would I sacrifice with the D7000? I just want as good or better 2D and 3D compared to my C8000.
post #185 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
from what i have saw and read the D7000 has better 2D & 3d then the C8000
post #186 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

from what i have saw and read the D7000 has better 2D & 3d then the C8000

Are there any in-depth reviews with calibration & measurements of the d7000 yet? I just got the c8000 which I love, except for the black levels. If the d7000 measures significantly darker I might upgrade.

Side question, do black levels improve at all after some time? I've only had my c8000 for a week so I'm just wondering...
post #187 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

I don't suppose anyone has found the owners manual for a 59D7000 anywhere online? I was looking for the size specs and wondering if the outer edges of the panel remained the same from last year, and if the extra inch is due to a less wide bezel?

I was also looking to calculate the room for a center speaker in front-- the space between the top of the stand and the bottom of the bezel. I know the panel swivels.
post #188 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

I don't suppose anyone has found the owners manual for a 59D7000 anywhere online? I was looking for the size specs and wondering if the outer edges of the panel remained the same from last year, and if the extra inch is due to a less wide bezel?

I was also looking to calculate the room for a center speaker in front-- the space between the top of the stand and the bottom of the bezel. I know the panel swivels.

The dimensions remain the same... the bezel size was reduced to accomodate the larger screen.

Here is the spec sheet.

http://www.intechav.com/specsheets/2011/PN59D7000.pdf
post #189 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the 8000 have some sort of superior anti-reflection filter on the screen? I thought I heard that somewhere. If it really is just the LCE, I can do without that. Seems pretty gimmicky.
post #190 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage00 View Post

The dimensions remain the same... the bezel size was reduced to accomodate the larger screen.

Here is the spec sheet.

http://www.intechav.com/specsheets/2011/PN59D7000.pdf

I still can't figure out if my center speaker will fit on the stand of a 59D7000. You're looking at my current 58c8000 with the center speaker sitting on the stand. Right now there is just enough clearance to swivel the panel and, more important, not have the speaker obstructed the view of the screen (it's close). The height of the speaker is 4 1/4" I hope to get a 59d7000.

Can anyone with a 59d7000 please see if you have 4 1/4" or more of clearance at the bottom bezel? Thanks!
LL
post #191 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM

sorry, bit off topic. i ended up with an extra samsung 2011 3d starter kit. as you probably know, it comes with 2 pairs of bluetooth 3d specs (ssg-3100gb), shrek 1-3 3d version blu-ray, and vouchers (submit online or by mail) for 3d version blu-ray of shrek 4 and megamind. brand new, unopened, and factory sealed. if anyone is interested in purchasing (significantly discounted), send me a pm. i believe it retails around 500 (which seems overpriced). thanks.
post #192 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM

BTW for those who have been waiting to register their d7000, Samsung finally has it for the 51/59/64.
post #193 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I still can't figure out if my center speaker will fit on the stand of a 59D7000. You're looking at my current 58c8000 with the center speaker sitting on the stand. Right now there is just enough clearance to swivel the panel and, more important, not have the speaker obstructed the view of the screen (it's close). The height of the speaker is 4 1/4" I hope to get a 59d7000.

Can anyone with a 59d7000 please see if you have 4 1/4" or more of clearance at the bottom bezel? Thanks!

It's 3 7/8" from the top of the stand to the upper edge of the bottom bezel on my 59D7000.
post #194 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

It's 3 7/8" from the top of the stand to the upper edge of the bottom bezel on my 59D7000.

Thanks so much for measuring! Uh-oh, to the upper edge? Looks like I'd need to find a new home for my center speaker.

Can I trouble you for the length & width of the stand itself?
post #195 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is the Micro-dimming!

That graph resembles Samsung's explanation of microdimming on their UN55D8000 product page.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...YFXZA-features

FlatpanelsHD was told by Samsung Europe that LCE operates like the microdimming processing on the D8000 LED/LCD. Samsung has recently taken features on their LCD line and created half-baked implementations on the PDP line (MJC as a form of motion interpolation, LCE as an analogue of microdimming). The question remains... is there a toggle to turn it on or off?
post #196 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks so much for measuring! Uh-oh, to the upper edge? Looks like I'd need to find a new home for my center speaker.

No problem. 21.25" x 13.2"
post #197 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:

I bought this thing called the Center Stage Bracket for my center speaker after much searching online. Actually just received it today. It's this little shelf that sits on top of your TV braced in the back The profile view isn't so nice, but it's actually great when watching TV. My center speaker sounds much better, too, on top of the TV.
post #198 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Why are people talking about Local Contrast Enhancer on the D7000 thread? Am I mistaken or is it only included on the D8000 model???
post #199 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Does anyone know why I can't adjust picture size while using the netflix app? I want to stretch the picture but I can't. Also, why is there no way to stretch the picture while watching blu-rays to actually get rid of black bars, just reduce their size?
post #200 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

Why are people talking about Local Contrast Enhancer on the D7000 thread? Am I mistaken or is it only included on the D8000 model???

You're not mistaken. This feature should be discussed in the D8000 thread.
post #201 of 4123 Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

You're not mistaken. This feature should be discussed in the D8000 thread.

Is there even any documentation that LCE even made it to the D8000, or what it is exactly? Maybe it should be discussed in the mythical creatures forum until then.
post #202 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Morning,

I had a scheduled delivery today for a 64D7000. I had to refuse delivery of it. The guys unpacked it with no visible damage anywhere. As Amazon instructed for "enhanced" delivery, we plugged it in and powered it on. There was no video signal as they are only supposed to unpack and confirm power & operation. There was no welcome screen, power up, or image of any kind. Also, there was a horrible BUZZING!!!! I don't think this was the directional buzzing so many have written of in last year's C-series, though. This sounded like something was wrong and was omnidirectional. The delivery guys said, "I've never seen one do that. Something's wrong". I refused delivery and Amazon will ship a replacement today/tomorrow.

Here's my question. Could anyone confirm what the screen should do at start up without a video signal? When some of you took delivery like this, what did the TV do for you? If any of you remember or can duplicate this, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to know what to look for upon delivery of a replacement next week. Shouldn't there be a message like "no signal"? I could've sworn there was a welcome screen at power up in some of the vids others have posted. Much obliged!!!
post #203 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Been messing with some of the pictures settings and (being new to Samsung) found the black filter settings. Moved it to darkest and now I am completely satisfied with this TV. I almost took it back yesterday for a GT30 but thought I would give it another night. Glad I did. The picture on my 51 is now what I thought it was going to be...beautiful.
post #204 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox View Post
I bought this thing called the Center Stage Bracket for my center speaker after much searching online. Actually just received it today. It's this little shelf that sits on top of your TV braced in the back The profile view isn't so nice, but it's actually great when watching TV. My center speaker sounds much better, too, on top of the TV.
Thanks for the idea, kinda pricey though. I wished Samsung has thought about making the stand a little adjustable, so we could raise or lower it a bit. This photo shows how the speaker fit with my current 58c8000.

I might try removing the glass from my TV stand and putting the center speaker on the top shelf inside the cabinet. Hmmmm.
LL
post #205 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

PIP: In the 2010 models Picture in Picture would only work with TV antenna or Cable In sources. Has that changed in the D7000? Can someone please see if you can do PIP with and HDMI and Component?
post #206 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacks84 View Post

Morning,

I had a scheduled delivery today for a 64D7000. I had to refuse delivery of it. The guys unpacked it with no visible damage anywhere. As Amazon instructed for "enhanced" delivery, we plugged it in and powered it on. There was no video signal as they are only supposed to unpack and confirm power & operation. There was no welcome screen, power up, or image of any kind. Also, there was a horrible BUZZING!!!! I don't think this was the directional buzzing so many have written of in last year's C-series, though. This sounded like something was wrong and was omnidirectional. The delivery guys said, "I've never seen one do that. Something's wrong". I refused delivery and Amazon will ship a replacement today/tomorrow.

Here's my question. Could anyone confirm what the screen should do at start up without a video signal? When some of you took delivery like this, what did the TV do for you? If any of you remember or can duplicate this, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to know what to look for upon delivery of a replacement next week. Shouldn't there be a message like "no signal"? I could've sworn there was a welcome screen at power up in some of the vids others have posted. Much obliged!!!

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I did the same thing, turned it on with no source and yes you should get some kind of welcome screen if I remember correctly. To choose your language. After that I believe I got Air static. Glad you made sure it worked before accepting!
post #207 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacks84 View Post

You're presented with a "Smart TV" logo on the initial power-up (and every time the TV is subsequently powered on unless you disable it in user menu).

A guided setup follows (OSD language, networking, etc), which is also described in the user manual. You get the "no signal" after the boot screen / guided setup if no source is connected.
post #208 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

It is the Micro-dimming!

This year, thanks to Microdimming, Samsung splits the image in 288 blocks and applies this procedure for each block, trying to maintain the same level of brightness on the border between a block and another. It is a software algorithm executed by CPU that seems to perform very well."

My understanding is that this only relates to LCD / LED technology where the microdimming helps to alleviate the problem of light non-uniformity (flashlighting, 'mura' / clouding and certain areas especially to the sides and edges being lighter). Plasma works on a different technology altogether so doesn't apply.
post #209 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Wait... Does that mean european d8000's don't have LCE? Or does it mean the european d8000's will have more input lag? Cause i'd definitely go panasonic without looking back if the latter was the case.
post #210 of 4123 Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
B0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox View Post

This is exactly what I need!

However, I am a little concerned about having a weighty center speaker perched atop a 59" set and base that already seem "torquey" and wobbly without another 40 lbs added on top.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page