post #241 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

So is there maybe some creative way to say, be in a Component Source (my Wii Browser) and have a PIP of my HDMI2 Source (DirecTV Receiver)?

Use an RF Modulator to convert the video signal to coax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

Sounds similar to what I posted about earlier... an instantaneous MLL shift that is a function of the APL... I can perceive it in letterbox bars but not full-screen content. My hunch was that this is the mysterious LCE (even though it's only spec'd to be on the D8000 and why it keeps getting rehashed in this thread).

Similar, but mine seems like it is much more problematic than yours if you only perceive it when viewing letterbox material. It's painfully obvious on mine when watching full screen (16:9) HD content from satellite TV each night. I was just curious if there were people out there who did't have this problem. I absolutely love my 59D550 and would get a replacement of the same model in a heartbeat if I knew there were some sets out there that did not suffer from this problem.

-Lee
PSN ID: AlphaShepherd
XBL: AlphaShepherd
post #243 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Use an RF Modulator to convert the video signal to coax?

Now that IS creative! Seems like quite a workaround, but it seems like it should work. I've never used one before. Thanks.
post #244 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Now that IS creative! Seems like quite a workaround, but it seems like it should work. I've never used one before. Thanks.

How does the 64d7000 match up with Sony's hx65929. Is plasma that much better?
post #245 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Just took delivery of my 64D7000 ! Very excited to get it up and running, but had to come into work to try and pay for the darn thing......

I just had time to turn it on to see if it worked ok, and i'm happy to say it's the best picture straight out of the box i've ever seen - even just with HD cable as a source. Will start playing around with it tonight.
post #246 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 PM

This is my first post to the forum, so hopefully i am doing it right . . .

I just got this TV up last night and also noticed this issue. the picture changes from brighter to darker occasionally while watching HDMI connected HD cable source. happened a handful of times while watching for around an hour. could this be a certain picture setting issue? or burn in prevention feature ????

I will be trying some blu rays out tonight to see if this is also noticeable from other sources (PS3)
post #247 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Does anyone have info regarding picture settings for the PN59D7000?

i was hoping to try to copy someones settings because i do not have much experience calibrating tv's.

any links to professional settings like c-net has for some tv's?

or possibly a recommended procedure or DVD/BR to use for an amateur DIYer ??

thanks for the help
post #248 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Keep us posted. I will try running some test too. I am hoping Samsung will hear about this and it will be an easy fix with an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigHutch View Post

This is my first post to the forum, so hopefully i am doing it right . . .

I just got this TV up last night and also noticed this issue. the picture changes from brighter to darker occasionally while watching HDMI connected HD cable source. happened a handful of times while watching for around an hour. could this be a certain picture setting issue? or burn in prevention feature ????

I will be trying some blu rays out tonight to see if this is also noticeable from other sources (PS3)

post #249 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Just making sure... do you guys have all the ECO options and motion lighting turned off in each picture preset?
post #250 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

I have not touched those but will check tonight. Should be on the default settings, what ever those are.

Quote:

Just making sure... do you guys have all the ECO options and motion lighting turned off in each picture preset?

post #251 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM

I got my PN51D7000 setup six days ago and have put in some serious viewing time since. Maybe too much. Overall I love this set for the PQ you get at this price point. BluRays look jaw-droppingly amazing. Crysis 2 in 3D on the Xbox 360 is kinda mind-blowing, and I am not a fan of 3D in general. 720p mkv's look great.

I do not see the issue where the set suddenly lowers or raises the contrast or brightness. Usually issues like that will drive me nuts and I pick up on em right away, but of course it's possible that it's there and I don't see it. For pic settings, I am using the default Movie mode.

I know black levels are subjective, but for me they are slightly disappointing but by no means a deal breaker. I am bit spoiled by the blacks on my Panasonic PVT25, but hey, that's not a fair comparison. Like some others in this thread mentioned, it's really only noticeable when watching letterboxed content, and a little ambient light in the room helps. In fullscreen content I hardly ever notice. Just don't go in expecting jet black blacks.

My TV does have a pretty nasty directional buzz, which is pinpointed right at my prime seating area (directly ahead, eye level, 8' away). The intensity varies depending on what's on screen -- brighter scenes tend to cause it to spike. It's unacceptably annoying, I mean real loud, and everyone who has seen my set can hear it. I called Samsung and they're sending out a technician next Monday to have a look. They knew about the issue from last year, and said that there was a fair chance that the tech would be able to repair my TV right in my home. Does anyone happen to know if that is true of the 2010 sets with buzzing -- could Samsung fix them on site?

Besides the buzzing issue, this TV is awesome. I love it.
post #252 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulations on your set!! I have a 51" and mine buzzed for like the first few minutes it was on then have not heard any more buzz.

Have you tried the black filter? It made a big difference for my set viewing letter box.

I know Panasonic tech's can fix this issue on site and would think Samsung could too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonkey View Post

I got my PN51D7000 setup six days ago and have put in some serious viewing time since. Maybe too much. Overall I love this set for the PQ you get at this price point. BluRays look jaw-droppingly amazing. Crysis 2 in 3D on the Xbox 360 is kinda mind-blowing, and I am not a fan of 3D in general. 720p mkv's look great.

I do not see the issue where the set suddenly lowers or raises the contrast or brightness. Usually issues like that will drive me nuts and I pick up on em right away, but of course it's possible that it's there and I don't see it. For pic settings, I am using the default Movie mode.

I know black levels are subjective, but for me they are slightly disappointing but by no means a deal breaker. I am bit spoiled by the blacks on my Panasonic PVT25, but hey, that's not a fair comparison. Like some others in this thread mentioned, it's really only noticeable when watching letterboxed content, and a little ambient light in the room helps. In fullscreen content I hardly ever notice. Just don't go in expecting jet black blacks.

My TV does have a pretty nasty directional buzz, which is pinpointed right at my prime seating area (directly ahead, eye level, 8' away). The intensity varies depending on what's on screen -- brighter scenes tend to cause it to spike. It's unacceptably annoying, I mean real loud, and everyone who has seen my set can hear it. I called Samsung and they're sending out a technician next Monday to have a look. They knew about the issue from last year, and said that there was a fair chance that the tech would be able to repair my TV right in my home. Does anyone happen to know if that is true of the 2010 sets with buzzing -- could Samsung fix them on site?

Besides the buzzing issue, this TV is awesome. I love it.

post #253 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:

but for me they are slightly disappointing but by no means a deal breaker.

51''. Just wait for "that" firmware update.
post #254 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Anyone know when these will start appearing in Best Buy?
post #255 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Anyone know when these will start appearing in Best Buy?

I was in BB today picking up Tron 3D. I have the 64d8000 (didn't buy from BB; much better pricing from a southeast retailer called Brandsmart) and went by the TV section just to look. They had both the 64D8000 and 59D8000 on display - and I asked about the 64D7000 (the reason I asked is because I want to see the bezel - I don't believe the 8000 bezel is much different in color than the 7000). At any rate, the salesman stated that this particular BB had the 64d7000 in their warehouse, and he was waiting for it to be delivered so they could display it.
post #256 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Have you tried the black filter? It made a big difference for my set viewing letter box.

I haven't -- how can I adjust the black filter? I see a setting called Black Tone, is that the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

51''. Just wait for "that" firmware update.

I heard that there was a firmware update for the 2010 sets that lowered black levels, but haven't heard anything about a 2011 update. Has Samsung said anything official, or is it pretty normal for them to issue firmware updates that enhance PQ?

Thanks!
post #257 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM

The new D8000 and D7000's still have the same directional Buzz as last years did. Some people can hear it some cant.. I have a 58C7000 and now a 59D7000 and both are the same in terms of buzzing.
post #258 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:

By picture delay, do you mean lip sync? You can set a sound delay within the speaker settings menu. And, as has been mentioned, cable/sat/OTA sources have compression artifacts -- they become very evident on large screens. Best to judge PQ on blu-ray sources.

Thanks. Its not a lip sync issue but probably compression artifacts. It has some pixelation as well. When I play a Blu Ray disk it does not have this issue. Do you think a HDMI 1.4 cable may help improve this? Or is it something that you need to get used to with cable?
post #259 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that's it.

Quote:

I haven't -- how can I adjust the black filter? I see a setting called Black Tone,

Thanks!

post #260 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza189 View Post

Just took delivery of my 64D7000 ! Very excited to get it up and running, but had to come into work to try and pay for the darn thing......

I just had time to turn it on to see if it worked ok, and i'm happy to say it's the best picture straight out of the box i've ever seen - even just with HD cable as a source. Will start playing around with it tonight.

Congrats! Day two with mine and all I can say is DAMN!
post #261 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post

Congrats! Day two with mine and all I can say is DAMN!

Indeed! Just spent a couple of hours messing around with settings and watching a couple of blurays - life and tangled and I can safely say both my wife and I echo your sentiment entirely!

Oh and as another data point, no buzzing here that I can tell. Mine is on it's stand.
post #262 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

How does the 64d7000 match up with Sony's hx65929. Is plasma that much better?

I bet, still a tad better than the Sony mentioned. Not to Mention the Samsung will be MUCH less !
post #263 of 4136 Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza189 View Post

Indeed! Just spent a couple of hours messing around with settings and watching a couple of blurays - life and tangled and I can safely say both my wife and I echo your sentiment entirely!

Oh and as another data point, no buzzing here that I can tell. Mine is on it's stand.

Wall mounted mine and NO BuZZ. Stayed until after midnight last night playing with the settings now if i could only figure out that darn Samsung receiver !
post #264 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post

Wall mounted mine and NO BuZZ. Stayed until after midnight last night playing with the settings now if i could only figure out that darn Samsung receiver !

Congrats on your new TV... Which wall mount did you get?
post #265 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post

Thanks. Its not a lip sync issue but probably compression artifacts. It has some pixelation as well. When I play a Blu Ray disk it does not have this issue. Do you think a HDMI 1.4 cable may help improve this? Or is it something that you need to get used to with cable?

Its the cable feed. No matter who you use, some compression artifacts are inevitable. I hear Verizon FIOS still has very low compression, if that's available in your area. Not sure how the Sat companies stack up. You also might try a different cable provider. Stay away from AT&T Uverse. Worst compression I've ever seen.
post #266 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As mentioned in another thread, these tvs will soon have the 3d starter kit standard -- not retailer specific.
post #267 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Just got my 64" D7000 set up. My wife is currently watching Celebrity Apprentice. Wouldn't be my first choice, but she's the boss. We're going to throw in Tangled 3D afterwards. I played some test scenes from Tron Legacy, and I was more than happy with the 3D at home. Also, this was with the blinds up with floor to ceiling windows with a southern exposure. I was worried that I should have waited for the 65" LED LCD, but coming from an old DLP, it's a huge improvement. Can't wait to spend some quality time in front of this set with my wife, who purchased a new stand and TV for me for my birthday (in June!). More to follow...
LL
post #268 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox View Post

Just got my 64" D7000 set up. My wife is currently watching Celebrity Apprentice. Wouldn't be my first choice, but she's the boss. We're going to throw in Tangled 3D afterwards. I played some test scenes from Tron Legacy, and I was more than happy with the 3D at home. Also, this was with the blinds up with floor to ceiling windows with a southern exposure. I was worried that I should have waited for the 65" LED LCD, but coming from an old DLP, it's a huge improvement. Can't wait to spend some quality time in front of this set with my wife, who purchased a new stand and TV for me for my birthday (in June!). More to follow...

Looks beautiful Man. The Black filter does a great job at blocking most of the glare.
post #269 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage00 View Post

Congrats on your new TV... Which wall mount did you get?

I got the Omnilite from Vanns
post #270 of 4136 Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 PM

I just got my 64D7000 today and I have to echo the WOW comments from everyone else. One question that perhaps the experts on here can help answer. I tried running Netflix and wanted to use Audio Return Channel but couldn't get any audio. Can anyone here verify the D7000 supports ARC and if they had to do anything to enable it?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page