AVS Forum banner
525K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  lucidsoul5 
#1 ·
D7000 Series PDP (exclusive to American market)
  • Same 1080P panel and Real Black (anti-glare) Filter as D8000
  • Crystal Full HD video processing engine (omitting LCE circuit) w/ Cinema Smooth (4:4 pulldown).
  • 1080P 3D / 2D-to-3D upconversion / bluetooth-syncing active glasses
  • Smart TV (Samsung Apps, universal search) w/o web browser
  • Built-in Wi-Fi connection
  • Audio out via TOSLINK (no ARC support)
  • Backlit remote (touchscreen and QWERTY remotes sold separately)
  • Advanced calibration options (2- and 10-pt grayscale, 3D CMS, gamma adjustments available from user menu)
  • Brushed metal Touch of Color design (Dark Platinum) with Titan square stand

Samsung PN51D7000: 51-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Samsung PN59D7000: 59-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Samsung PN64D7000: 64-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Further details and a features comparison matrix can be found in the Samsung 2011 Plasma Lineup Thread.

Reviews
CNET - PN59D7000
CNET - Panasonic TC-PVT30 vs. Samsung PND7000/8000: Which is the best TV of 2011 (so far)?

Manuals / FirmwareSuggested Settings / Tweaks
  • Samsung TV's display the most accurate picture using the MOVIE preset and Warm2 color tone. Disable all eco solution / motion lighting / dynamic contrast / black tone / noise filter enhancements. For a bright picture, expect to dial up Cell Light (17-20; sets light output without raising black level) and Contrast (~90). Dial down Sharpness from the default value and use Screen Fit to ensure 1:1 pixel mapping (note this disables the pixel shift function). Consult the Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread for representative settings.
  • Set Film Mode to off (i.e., disengage Cinema Smooth to apply 3:2 pulldown) for 1080p24 material to obtain the deepest black level. Disabling Cinema Smooth also reduces APL-related brightness/gamma fluctuations.
  • Set Film Mode to Auto1 to correctly de-interlace 480i/1080i, film-based, signals. The set will automatically switch the Film Mode as needed depending on the source. Auto 2 is meant to be applied to mixed film and video content (e.g., film with an overlaid scrolling text ticker).
  • To unlock CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT picture presets follow these instructions . Note that after exiting the service menu, your current settings will revert to factory default. The CAL presets need to calibrated independently of MOVIE, which is generally more accurate to begin with. Note two bugs: 1) 3D functionality may be impaired within the CAL presets; 2) Gamma shifts / dithering noise may occur after exiting from Smart Hub. This can be resolved by toggling between the MOVIE and CAL presets.
  • To adjust picture/sound settings within apps/AllShare, select the TOOLS button on the remote, or select MENU from the Smart Hub home screen.
  • Samsung remote available on
    and Android devices.
  • Attempt a factory reset via the service menu or by holding down the remote's EXIT button for 15 sec if you observe the picture dimming in stepped intervals. One of the eco options may be stuck in the ON position.

Port Layout / Remote / 3D Glasses

------------------------------------------------------------

My PN59D7000 was delivered this morning -- a replacement for my 58C7000 by Samsung (Netflix blinks and a stuck pixel).

Some quick comments...

- Unlike the C-series 58/63" models, the stand did not come attached. It sits more snuggly in the packaging than I recall my C7000 did -- might reduce incidents of cracked panels during shipment.

- RBF mitigates glare at the expense of more focused reflections. Screen has a more purple appearance in daylight. Maintains contrast exceptionally well under lights.

- The bezel/stand are not metallic black, but a dark metallic bronze. The styling looks more upscale vs the C7000's matte plastic bezel, but it obviously reflects more and might not match your other components (color or lustre).

- Buzz on this display is reduced relative to my C7000, but I didn't find it to be an issue on that set either.

I will post some more qualitative observations after playing around with the set.

See less See more
#6 ·
Good stuff koffas. Would love to hear your findings with this set. Especially with regards to black level and if there are any floating blacks (some people have been reporting this in the other threads but I remain skeptical until I hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about, i.e you).

#7 ·
More observations...

- Heat output is significantly lower. My C7000 was very warm to touch.

- The service menu offers no "up-conversion" to D8000, only various D6x00 models. Since the D8000 has no additional menu options (LCE? CAL presets?) this is not surprising.

- Full-screen whites look much nicer. Set is very bright.

- Black levels improved over my C7000.

- The RBF does a great job with perceived contrast with overhead lights turned on.

- IR is not noticeable. Similar to C7000.

- Floating blacks!? Not very noticeable when watching TV from a normal distance, but obvious when you block out the picture and watch the lettebox bars. Please don't tell me this is what LCE is. And if it is, please make it defeatable.

- MLL increase with Cinema Smooth.

- Netflix blinks still there. Samsung claims this is a Netflix app issue ( adaptive streaming ).

#9 ·
Can't believe Samsung hasn't fixed the Cinema smooth MLL increase. That's at least 3 years in a row without a fix come on already

At least if you go with 58+ inches the MLL is low enough that the increase shouldn't be that bad.

#11 ·
Excited to see an owner mention darker black levels; that's all i need to ignore the nay-sayers. I've decided to step down from the 8 series to the 7 series, which will allow me to get a 59-er. I'd much rather have a SLIGHT increase in MLL than improper flickering, even if i'm still considering the GT30.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously /forum/post/20206476

Excited to see an owner mention darker black levels; that's all i need to ignore the nay-sayers. I've decided to step down from the 8 series to the 7 series, which will allow me to get a 59-er. I'd much rather have a SLIGHT increase in MLL than improper flickering, even if i'm still considering the GT30.

I'm in the same boat. 59" D7000 or 60" GT30.

MLL increase with 96Hz 24p playback on the Sammy vs. 3:2 pulldown or 48Hz flicker on the Panny.

Ugh.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite /forum/post/20206725

Wonder how a D7000 plasma stands to a D8000 LED LCD...

Favorably?
I know the D8000 LED LCD improves upon flashlighting/uniformity from last year's models and the disappearing bezel is quite nice. But, overall, plasma still has the edge in PQ. Better value as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron /forum/post/20207075

Can you turn on/off MJC or is that feature completely removed from this years models? I'm aware of the rumours, just looking for confirmation.

Also is the CS MLL increase as noticable as last year, or has it got any better?

No MJC. It's hard to tell if it's any more pronounced without doing a side-by-side comparison. I don't have "perfect pitch" with regard to MLL.

I just leave film mode in Auto1 to deinterlace film-based material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20207521

are you able to measure the black level on your 59" D7000?...would be nice to see a measurement on a larger sized model and see if it is better then the 50" model

No meter. We should be seeing real numbers from the experts soon.

#19 ·
Thanks for starting the thread. It's either this or the D550 for me. Apparently the D550 has quite a bit of glare because it doesn't have the "Real Black Filter" (RBF) louvered or polarized layer laminated into the screen to mitigate the glare from overhead lighting, but most say it is not a problem when the set is on.

Can I say please define the terminology somewhere initially so others can know what the acronyms mean since different manufacturers use different terminology in their marketing. MLL — did a search, the letters are not real easy to find as they are so generic. This one probably applies to all displays. Came up with Minimum Luminance Level. Thought it must have lambert in there somewhere, but it doesn't. Thanks again. Jerry

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottenuff /forum/post/20206486

After reading the reviews of the 59D7000, it doesn't seem that there is much reason to get the 8000. So my question is, where to buy? Does anyone have any suggestions?

come on now.........

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20205879

The MLL increase with 96Hz (Cinema Smooth) is disappointing to say the least.

To live with the Cinema Smooth Samsung bug in a 59" model or to live without proper 24fps playback in a 60" Panasonic GT/ST...that is the question.

I agree that the Cinema Smooth bug is very disappointing...I really thought that they had fixed it for 2011...since the D8000 doesn't bring anything of real value to the table (LCE doesn't even seem to exist) I've also narrowed down my choices to the VT30, GT30 or D7000

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20208200

I agree that the Cinema Smooth bug is very disappointing...I really thought that they had fixed it for 2011...since the D8000 doesn't bring anything of real value to the table (LCE doesn't even seem to exist) I've also narrowed down my choices to the VT30, GT30 or D7000

Ummmm I see Absolutely no reason to get the D8000 over the 7000.

The 7000 looks better anyways, and has the same features as the 8000. The 8000 is pointless....

#25 ·
After seeing the 2nd pic on the OP, it's safe to say i'm going to go with the d7000. xD

That thing is seeeeexay. Well, just kidding, i'm not going to base my decision on the bezel, but if an expert measurement compares the d7000's blacks to the gt30's, there's not much of a choice here. The only thing that'd make me go panasonic would be the mjc. Yeah, yeah, i know, it looks crappy, but i like to use it SOMETIMES. Otherwise, it's all favorable towards this one. Anxiously waiting for a review of this cutie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.