Where to get a new plasma screen for my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys/gals. Im new here so just wanted to say hi. I have been into TV's and fixing them for years and just decided to join this website. I am having trouble trying to find a replacement plasma screen glass front for a TV that was given to me. The TV is a 50 inch Panasonic Hi Def Plasma. It's from 2008 and the model is TH-50PX80U. I called Panasonic and they told me that they cannot sell a screen directly to a consumer. It has to be a certified service center. I was wondering if there was anyway that i could get a screen for the TV. I got the TV for free so it would be nice to fix it up. Thanks guys/gals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm3535 View Post

Hey guys/gals. Im new here so just wanted to say hi. I have been into TV's and fixing them for years and just decided to join this website. I am having trouble trying to find a replacement plasma screen glass front for a TV that was given to me. The TV is a 50 inch Panasonic Hi Def Plasma. It's from 2008 and the model is TH-50PX80U. I called Panasonic and they told me that they cannot sell a screen directly to a consumer. It has to be a certified service center. I was wondering if there was anyway that i could get a screen for the TV. I got the TV for free so it would be nice to fix it up. Thanks guys/gals

That's true - they will not sell a replacement panel to you, you'd have to buy it through an authorized Panasonic repair center. But even if a repair center agrees to sell it to you (instead of wanting to charge you to install it themselves), it's not worth it - the replacement panel alone costs about a thousand bucks and the additional price to ship that huge fragile slab of glass from the parts depot to the repair center would probably be another few hundred bucks. It's also possible that when the screen got broken it also caused internal surges that blew out other boards inside the TV.

For that amount of money, you can buy a brand new 50" ST30 1080p model with a full factory warranty that will blow that old 720p PX80U out of the water.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm3535 View Post

I was wondering if there was anyway that i could get a screen for the TV.

Keep checking eBay and Craigslist for a TH-50PX80U that has stopped working due a malfunctioning board but has an intact plasma panel. They can be obtained fairly inexpensively.

This will give you the option of replacing the bad board, or replacing the bad panel. Your choice.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page