Make the switch to Plasma? help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I currently have a Samsung LN46C650 LCD. I am pretty happy with it, just wish it was a bit bigger for my living room.

I am able to exchange it @ costco for a Samsung PN50C6500 Plasma but am curious if its worth the switch. 46" lcd to a 50" plasma

I have never owned a plasma. will i notice a difference in PQ? I watch lots of HDTV from Shaw Cable, and play a lot of PS3.. a rare blu ray here and there.

My brother has a plasma and i have never hear him complain about IR (he games on ps3 also).. but after reading a bit. I am kinda worried about it in plasmas. (lots of tv stations have channel logo's)

curious on all of your input... if you could help
Is my current LCD better than the plasma? even at a smaller size...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM

I think people worry too much about IR. It goes away very quickly. Image Burn In is what you want to worry about, and all the new plasmas have orbitors that prevent that. People recommend breaking them in for 100 hours of tv watching (2 weeks @ 8 hours / day approx)... before increasing the brightness settings too high so it breaks in slowly, but even then, i know people that don't even worry about that much either and just plug and play. i would recommend following most break in recommendations found around, but i wouldn't get obsessed about it.

picture quality can be subjective a little, because what you think looks good may not be anothers, however, the lcd/led market has focused on creating the brightness and most vivid looking colors possible OTB... not realistic looking, but obnoxious looking "hyper colors" if you will. that approach destroys any ability to display gradients of colors well, so people then spend more money to have their lcd/led calibrated to look like,.. well, a plasma. plasma tvs have a realistic picture. the blacks are darker as well. just go to any store and judge for yourself. the thing i find funny, you ask any sales person working at a store selling both plasma and lcd/led tvs... they all own plasmas. i have yet to meet one true videophile that prefers an lcd/led. that's not to say there aren't a of nice ones on the market, but they simply don't do things as well right now at this time of technology. more then likely they are the future, but the future is a distant future right now imo.

also, and this is a huge selling point for me, the faster refresh rate make a big difference. even all the led tvs now boasting 240hz (there are some higher but very few can afford them at this point)... motion is terrible. In fact, the more OEMs try to correct it with lcd/led tvs, i find the jerkier the motion seems to get to me. this also plays a huge factor with 3d as well, because the active shutter glasses now need to sync with the tv and that magnifies the issue. if you watch sports, and you want to use 3d, ... you want a plasma.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.. are plasma's good for gaming?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 AM

I game on mine all the time, and have only seen slight IR once after about 4 hours of playing Madden. It went away in less than 10 minutes of watching TV.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Plasma's are typically better for gaming than LCD's. Not all plasmas are ideal though. Panasonic plasmas however are all top notch. They have the lowest input lag of any hdtv on the market. I recall Samsungs having 70-100ms input lag. You'd probably be ok though in their 'game mode'. However, with a pany you don't have to use game mode and therefore you don't dramatically lose PQ. I do get IR but it's not noticeable while playing or watching. I can only see it on the dark grey/black break-in slides. This is after 5-9hrs of gaming btw and it usually goes away after a movie or two or some hours of slides. I have a p42gt25 and couldn't be happier. The THX preset is fantastic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspit30 View Post

thanks for the reply.. are plasma's good for gaming?

I game on my plasma a ton! I've had 0 problems with it.......knock on wood. I also play mostly FPS competitively. I leave my plasma in "game mode", with little to no ill effect on picture quality.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspit30 View Post

Hello,

I currently have a Samsung LN46C650 LCD. I am pretty happy with it, just wish it was a bit bigger for my living room.

I am able to exchange it @ costco for a Samsung PN50C6500 Plasma but am curious if its worth the switch. 46" lcd to a 50" plasma

When you are happy with your LCd you are taking a ($2000?) risk, what if you do not like Plasma(?), as long as you can return the 50 inch Plasma it is a risk worth while talking. You should also do some reading on the AVS Plasma Forum.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

i can still exchange the lcd, and grab the plasma for 140$ via the store credit. and would be able to return the plasma for up to 3 months. (costco return policy)
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastQuestion View Post

Plasma's are typically better for gaming than LCD's. Not all plasmas are ideal though. Panasonic plasmas however are all top notch. They have the lowest input lag of any hdtv on the market. I recall Samsungs having 70-100ms input lag. You'd probably be ok though in their 'game mode'. However, with a pany you don't have to use game mode and therefore you don't dramatically lose PQ. I do get IR but it's not noticeable while playing or watching. I can only see it on the dark grey/black break-in slides. This is after 5-9hrs of gaming btw and it usually goes away after a movie or two or some hours of slides. I have a p42gt25 and couldn't be happier. The THX preset is fantastic!

The lag thing has been blown out of proportion too and shouldn't be the only consideration when buying a tv. Most people, even extreme gamers won't notice it. It's just the picky hardcore gamers. 70-100ms is like 2 frames of lag. I don't notice any lag on my Samsung 58" that is earth shattering or game stopping. Not even on 1st person shooters, and I don't even use "game" mode. Nor do I notice any IR while viewing normally. You won't notice it either unless you put up a solid color slide or something to that effect. Sometimes I wonder if the LCD manufacturers are talking non-sense and trying to talk bad about Plasma tech.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

70-100ms is like 2 frames of lag.

or 4 to 6 frames if its a 60fps game. 2 - 3 frames at 30fps.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

The lag thing has been blown out of proportion too and shouldn't be the only consideration when buying a tv. Most people, even extreme gamers won't notice it. It's just the picky hardcore gamers. 70-100ms is like 2 frames of lag. I don't notice any lag on my Samsung 58" that is earth shattering or game stopping. Not even on 1st person shooters, and I don't even use "game" mode.

I'm what you could call an extreme gamer. I noticed the 50-70ms input lag in game mode on the Samsung c6300 I had for a bit. I don't notice any input lag on my pany gt25. It easy to argue 40-60ms input lag is negligible because it is for most people and many types of games. However, there's a far portion of people like myself who do notice it. Without going on a tangent about reaction times and natural talent I'll say that the casual gamer probably won't care too much about dieing due to being a few frames behind. But if you're a hardcore shooter or into any real fighting games you'll want a display with a low frame buffer. I've read that some fighting games have counters which have timing requirements dictating the need for a 1 frame buffer display.

In short, more than 1 buffered frame is tangibly noticeable but going over to 2-3 isn't going to be a game-breaking unless you're hardcore. w/e though, got to go play some more gears!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page