Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I am considering a GT30, cant fit the VT in my cabinet. Should I consider the GT30 over the sony HX929 or is this like apples to oranges as far as performance goes. It'd be a 50 inch panny.

Thanks

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

These don't sound like issues with the display and I can't imagine
how it would have damaged the display either. Sounds like an
issue either with the player or the disc to me.

It is very odd. This same player/disc combination played fine on my previous 720P. Now all sources have slightly lessened picture quality. I also tried a different blu-ray player and the same slightly diminished picture quality problem remains.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post

Guys I am considering a GT30, cant fit the VT in my cabinet. Should I consider the GT30 over the sony HX929 or is this like apples to oranges as far as performance goes. It'd be a 50 inch panny.

Thanks

That Sony is good...for an LCD. Get the Panny!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

I'm biased as I own a 60gt30--I have a 42 inch
8 gen Kuro in my BR and feel the PQ is very
comparable (except of course the 60gt30 is much
bigger). I've seen the 929 only in stores but wasn't
that impressed--of course, as I said, I'm biased and think
a good plasma offers the best available PQ
in a flat panel at this point in time.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks

I had my choices down to three Plasmas and only one LED...Sony NX720. Mainly because we've always had Sony, the NX fit the budget (max) and it uses the new Corning Gorilla Glass (I broke this current model just by accidently leaning on it). But the cost of the NX720 kept it from being seriously considered...about 33% more.

However the HX929 is Sony's top-o-line model better known as the XBR. There is the HX729 which is one step below followed by the NX. Putting it in the mix would be like comparing the Samsung D8000 to the D550C1. Also the price of a 46" XBR is double of what the 50" Panny GT30 is.

Got my Amazon confirmation today for Wednesday delivery....will be done by CEVA and as stated...."your shipment has White Glove Delivery"
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I just returned my HX820 which has almost the same specs as 929 and I would highly advise you not to go with the 929. The picture is pretty, but almost every unit, and i've inspected a ton of them, have massive uniformity flaws. The Gorilla Glass is cool and all but really hits the PQ hard with clouding and uneven whites. I have no idea how to post a picture on here, but I also had a huge "crease" on the left of my screen from top to bottom which is considered standard with most LED's, particularly the Sony's and Samsungs.

You are also paying top dollar for a super bright image with LED as well as Motion Control (480hz with the 929) and to be honest, you will have to shut it off to not get the "soap opera effect." So you'd turn off motion control and set the brightness very low, but you'd be paying to have both...

You won't have any of these issues with the Plasma, which I wish I knew before going through all of this.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Placed my order last Thursday and just received an email that it has shipped with a estimated delivery date of the 27th. Shipping from Carlisle, PA. so it may make it sooner.

Aliens, I also got an email on Monday with the same delivery date although mine is coming from Plainfield, IN, so I am guessing it will be sooner.

For everyone that has ordered via Amazon, and had the delivery done by Home Direct, how was your experience? I recognize that it may all depend on the driver, but wanted to see if there was a geneeral consensus that they were keeping in line with proper handling (keeping the panel upright, etc).

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

I think you'll be ok but you do have a lot of reflective and high contrast surfaces. There are plenty of threads and information about what your space for HT should be made of from the floor, walls, ceiling and window treatments. Many don't have a dedicated room and it's their main Living Room. White Paint is worse than mild neutral colors like tans, greys, blues. Even the paint itself plays a part, eggshell, flat or satin. Wood flooring no matter what it is has a degree of sheen. Rugs can knock down it down and help. The color of window blinds and/or drapes also plays a part. Controlled lighting is a big help but is it ceiling or lamps and of course what type of bulbs.

We have a light slate grey texture paint on the walls that's flat. All the "White" paint for trim and molding is Flat. All lighting is recessed ceiling and is dimmable. Ceiling is also ceiling tiles. No table or floor lamps. Carpet is 24" x 24" commercial squares with darks, marroon, greys. Furniture is LazBoy recliners in a "Dark Wheat/Tan" color. Befoe we did this "Rec Room" it was almost like yours....except we did have carpet. It's night & day with the PQ and viewing now.

One reason why I hate going to B.B is the difference in the way the TV's are. All the ones in the wide open would probably look quite good and better if they were in the same or similar lighting environment as the Magnolia area. H.H gregg and Electronic Express are far worse IMHO when it comes to checking out TV's.

Thanks Dr DTS and the others for the informative posts. I went ahead and ordered the Panny GT30 55" from Amazon. Since that pic I have added a rug and I don't have ceiling lights. If I need to I will consider what you suggested as ways to reduce any possible glare.

I will give an update when I get the TV.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Home Direct delivered my TV with no issues.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post

Thanks Dr DTS and the others for the informative posts. I went ahead and ordered the Panny GT30 55" from Amazon. Since that pic I have added a rug and I don't have ceiling lights. If I need to I will consider what you suggested as ways to reduce any possible glare.

I will give an update when I get the TV.

Miami, how far do you sit from your TV? I really want the 55" but I think its going to be a tight fit at 8 feet away after I remeasured last night. Your set up looks to be 10-12 feet; just trying to put it in perspective.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4523 View Post

Miami, how far do you sit from your TV? I really want the 55" but I think its going to be a tight fit at 8 feet away after I remeasured last night. Your set up looks to be 10-12 feet; just trying to put it in perspective.

Right now I'm at 10 feet. I think I can go 60" but the price difference from a 55" GT to a 60" GT is not worth it for me. I would have to go with an ST then for a price I would feel is reasonable and I just don't like the looks of the ST panel at all.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sit 8 feet bro...the bigger the better...believe me

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

THX guidelines for seating say

"

THX recommends the following:
  • 35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
  • 40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
  • 50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
  • 60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way
It might seem that THX is recommending a very large screen size for your room. But, it's important to note two things: 1) THX screen size recommendations are based on recreating an immersive cinematic experience, and 2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set.

"
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM

I have a 65gt30 and sit between 9-12 feet away from it. It looked huge to begin with, but it has gotten smaller. It is awesome to watch a BD movie at night in a black room. You will not regret getting the biggest you can fit on the wall, within reason.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

THX guidelines for seating say

"

THX recommends the following:
  • 35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
  • 40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
  • 50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
  • 60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way
It might seem that THX is recommending a very large screen size for your room. But, it's important to note two things: 1) THX screen size recommendations are based on recreating an immersive cinematic experience, and 2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set.

"

Thank you Dave. My cabinet is 60" wide and 17" deep and I will not be mounting it. So if I went with the 55" I'd have about 4.5 inches on each side to put my front speakers. I am still torn to be honest because I don't want it to be obnoxiously big, but I also don't want to regret it either.

I guess I can always exchange with Amazon, but I want this to be my last purchase (I have waited almost 6 weeks now for my LED refund).
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Can anyone post the optimal picture settings for me please. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Spyder View Post

Can anyone post the optimal picture settings for me please. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340522
Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Does anyone think that either of these brackets would work with the GT30 to mount a 15" wide center speaker on top of the TV?

http://www.amazon.com/ScreenDeck-She...7436670&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AHF4SYKP09WBH
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Does anyone think that either of these brackets would work with the GT30 to mount a 15" wide center speaker on top of the TV?

http://www.amazon.com/ScreenDeck-She...7436670&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AHF4SYKP09WBH

I'm interested as well. Right now I have a sound bar that sits in from of my 40" Samsung which my 55" Gt30 will be replacing. I already know that my soundbar so I'm looking into solutions like something to elevate the TV a few inches or using a IR repeater. I just wonder how clean either of those brackets look after mounting.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable what seems to be some sort of power limiter on the TV?

When there is an all white screen (like a commercial or something), the brightness goes way down... my guess is to conserve overall energy as the TV figures its already a bright scene. I hate this as whites never look bright enough!

Anyone?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shalaby View Post

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable what seems to be some sort of power limiter on the TV?

When there is an all white screen (like a commercial or something), the brightness goes way down... my guess is to conserve overall energy as the TV figures its already a bright scene. I hate this as whites never look bright enough!

Anyone?

I have not experienced any brightness fluctuation on white scenes (or any scenes for that matter) on my GT30 - you might want to check your "eco" setting and make sure it is turned off.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Below find the previous posts I put up on this subject. Panasonic customer service told me today that by switching to THX mode and not keeping the TV in Standard mode for the first 100 hours, I voided the warranty and they can do nothing about the problem below. What the hell? Any suggestions as to what I should do next? Did I miss something obvious in the manual?

Originally Posted by stormchaser
Folks,
Amazon delivered my 60 inch GT30 (without a broken screen this time) and I've been very happy UNTIL I popped in my Blu-Ray copy of David Gilmour's Remember That Night and played the track echoes. There are some very bright concert lighting effects that switch quickly on this track and something in my video chain can't handle them. I get stutter, lost frames, and quasi-test pattern artifacts during the most intense screen activity. My previous Grand Wega 720p did not have these problems. I have reduced the output resolution on my OPPO to 720P and the same artifacts persist.

I am running in THX Mode with contrast and brightness at 50 (will do this for a bit longer due to concerns about burn-in)

My player is an Oppo BDP-95 which I have one hdmi connected to the GT30 and the other to an AVR (Emotiva UMC-1) for sound and occasional video (the AVR can not pass a 3d signal). The artifacts persist when I switch to the hdmi through the AVR.

Again the two new elements in the video chain are 1) the GT30 and 2) adding a second HDMI connection from the OPPO (in this case directly to the GT 30 but the artifacts persist on both hdmi connections).

Well, it appears that whatever happened above somehow damaged my Viera. Picture quality is slightly less sharp and Blu-Rays that I watched the day before this event look less clear. It is almost like going from 1080P to 720P (but that isn't what has happened). I've contacted Panasonic and they aren't quite sure what to do yet. Any thoughts out there from anyone as to what the heck happened here? To be clear, I haven't fooled around with anything in the service menu and was running in THX mode with contrast and brightness reduced to 50.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post

Below find the previous posts I put up on this subject. Panasonic customer service told me today that by switching to THX mode and not keeping the TV in Standard mode for the first 100 hours, I voided the warranty and they can do nothing about the problem below. What the hell? Any suggestions as to what I should do next? Did I miss something obvious in the manual?

Folks,
Amazon delivered my 60 inch GT30 (without a broken screen this time) and I've been very happy UNTIL I popped in my Blu-Ray copy of David Gilmour's Remember That Night and played the track echoes. There are some very bright concert lighting effects that switch quickly on this track and something in my video chain can't handle them. I get stutter, lost frames, and quasi-test pattern artifacts during the most intense screen activity. My previous Grand Wega 720p did not have these problems. I have reduced the output resolution on my OPPO to 720P and the same artifacts persist.

I am running in THX Mode with contrast and brightness at 50 (will do this for a bit longer due to concerns about burn-in)

My player is an Oppo BDP-95 which I have one hdmi connected to the GT30 and the other to an AVR (Emotiva UMC-1) for sound and occasional video (the AVR can not pass a 3d signal). The artifacts persist when I switch to the hdmi through the AVR.

Again the two new elements in the video chain are 1) the GT30 and 2) adding a second HDMI connection from the OPPO (in this case directly to the GT 30 but the artifacts persist on both hdmi connections).

Well, it appears that whatever happened above somehow damaged my Viera. Picture quality is slightly less sharp and Blu-Rays that I watched the day before this event look less clear. It is almost like going from 1080P to 720P (but that isn't what has happened). I've contacted Panasonic and they aren't quite sure what to do yet. Any thoughts out there from anyone as to what the heck happened here? To be clear, I haven't fooled around with anything in the service menu and was running in THX mode with contrast and brightness reduced to 50.

Escalate through Panasonic Concierge service. THX is a standard TV mode, and watching the set in ANY standard mode should not be a reason to refuse service. The only exception is Image Retention, which is clearly spelled out in the manual. Sounds like you got a CSR who has not been trained properly.

VIERA Concierge Hotline Call 877-95-VIERA (US Number)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Folks,

That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard in a long time. Escalate to a supervisor and that supervisor's supervisor if necessary. What a stupid thing to tell a customer.

~Bill
Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Folks,

That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard in a long time. Escalate to a supervisor and that supervisor's supervisor if necessary. What a stupid thing to tell a customer.

Agreed - ask whomever you end up talking with to cite any reference in the Owners Manual to utilizing Standard Mode during the first 100 hours of usage - if it's in the OM they must have used invisible ink! Also - if you purchased through Amazon - I'd contact them to arrange for a replacement.
Let us know how this situation is resolved.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Folks,

I'm still having trouble seeing how this represents
a definite display problem. The artifacts you were describing
sound more like compression artifacts or maybe
HDMI handshaking artifacts.

Now the main issue is that the image is
a little soft? Like the difference b/w 720p and
1080? That's a pretty subtle change--are you
sure? I guess anything's possible, but it seems
very unlikely to me that what you described happening
would have caused any damage at all--and in that
unlikely event the damage would then produce
just a subtle softening?

I'd use something like a test disc to objectively
test the display resolution. HD-DVE, Spears
and Muncil, and HQV all have resolution test patterns. I'd also
hook the Oppo directly to the display for the testing.

Oh, and I agree the standard mode thing they told
you is total BS--I'm just not sure you're barking up
the right tree here.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Price drop at Amazon today! Any guesses on what the price drop will be after SuperBowl?

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTyWebb View Post

Price drop at Amazon today! Any guesses on what the price drop will be after SuperBowl?

The 60" had a price increase on Amazon.com today.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

The 60" had a price increase on Amazon.com today.

60 has been at that price for a few days now. Hope it drops soon.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

60 has been at that price for a few days now. Hope it drops soon.

It was at 1823 or so for awhile. I was waiting for it to drop more while I wait for a verdict on the Samsung fixes.