Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4163 Old 04-21-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by technobaz View Post

How much u get it for?

8 bills. Apparently Panasonic claims it was a pricing error on their website so they canceled the orders unless you agreed to pay the correct price. But at least a few of us slipped through the cracks. As I said, I didn't really need it...I've got a projector for my main TV and can't see myself ever going back to a "small" screen. But it was a great price, and I have wanted to check out some 3D material. So I followed the first rule of internet hot deals...pull the trigger and ask questions later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4163 Old 04-21-2011, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

8 bills. Apparently Panasonic claims it was a pricing error on their website so they canceled the orders unless you agreed to pay the correct price. But at least a few of us slipped through the cracks. As I said, I didn't really need it...I've got a projector for my main TV and can't see myself ever going back to a "small" screen. But it was a great price, and I have wanted to check out some 3D material. So I followed the first rule of internet hot deals...pull the trigger and ask questions later.

Hahaha shame for panasonic !! Take it you mean 800? I'm finding it a great tv so you will have fun with it even tho u don't need it. Use it as a gaming tv, I've got it hooked up to my ps3 and it's perfect !!
post #363 of 4163 Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 PM

broadwayblue - Pics or it didn't happen!!! Just take a pic of the 50GT30, and then a pic of your receipt or email invoice, blank out everything except the final price.
post #364 of 4163 Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post
broadwayblue - Pics or it didn't happen!!! Just take a pic of the 50GT30, and then a pic of your receipt or email invoice, blank out everything except the final price.
It happened with or without pics. lol

But here's a snapshot I just took with my phone...

[IMG=http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/2281/imag0235u.th.jpg][/IMG]
post #365 of 4163 Old 04-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Liked: 11
My 55GT30 arrived today. I paid the MSRP from Amazon. However I noticed there was a price drop today. Using the "found a lower price" on the Amazon order review page I got a refund of a little less than $200 within five minutes of sending in the request.

I had compared a 50GT30 to a 55ST30 at a local B&M. The picture was clearly better on the GT30 but it may have been settings differences. The whites on the GT were cleaner/whiter.

The GT30 was next to an LCD. I checked angle viewing. The plasma was a LOT better from an angle.

The wife and I preferred the *look* of the GT30 bezel. Also the 50GT30 rotated on the stand which was a plus for us. There was no 55GT30 to look at.

We opted for the GT30 over the ST30 for the better picture, bezel and rotating stand. I wonder about the better picture quality because I have no idea as to settings differences.

The rotating stand didn't turn out to be a rotating stand. The 55GT30 doesn't have a rotating stand perhaps because of the larger size.

I am running prep slides for 100 hours so I have no comment on actual viewing in my home environment.

Zeuspaul
post #366 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi all! I just helped my Dad buy a 55" GT30. I'm having trouble searching on my iPad. Could anyone be so kind as to point me toward some suggested settings? I'm hoping to help him set it up today before flying home tomorrow. Thanks!

(And hello to all my old AVS buddies. It's great to "see" you guys here)
post #367 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

Hi all! I just helped my Dad buy a 55" GT30. I'm having trouble searching on my iPad. Could anyone be so kind as to point me toward some suggested settings? I'm hoping to help him set it up today before flying home tomorrow. Thanks!

(And hello to all my old AVS buddies. It's great to "see" you guys here)

I've calibrated my GT30 and you are welcome to try these settings. Let me know how they look.

Picture mode Custom
Contrast 60
Brightness 53
Color 48
Tint 1
Color temp Warm 2
Color management off
Video NR off
->Pro Settings<-
W/B Red high -3
W/B Green high 6
W/B Blue high 5
W/B Red low 3
W/B Green low -3
W/B Blue low -5
Black extension 0
gamma: 2.2
panel brightness: low
contour emphasis off
AGC 0
->Advanced Picture<-
Block NR off
Mosquito NR off
Motion smoother off
Black level light
post #368 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I've calibrated my GT30 and you are welcome to try these settings. Let me know how they look.

Picture mode Custom
Contrast 60
Brightness 53
Color 48
Tint 1
Color temp Warm 2
Color management off
Video NR off
->Pro Settings<-
W/B Red high -3
W/B Green high 6
W/B Blue high 5
W/B Red low 3
W/B Green low -3
W/B Blue low -5
Black extension 0
contour emphasis off
AGC 0
->Advanced Picture<-
Block NR off
Mosquito NR off
Motion smoother off
Black level light

Zoyd,
Have you seen any 3D content? I read 4 solid reviews (5 star rating) from Amazon on the GT30 which is great, however, one guy claims to see a lot of crosstalk when watching 3D movies. Either he's doing something wrong or he's at a bad viewing angle? Have you seen any crosstalk or ghosting with your set? Do you watch 3D at eye level?
post #369 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Zoyd,
Have you seen any 3D content? I read 4 solid reviews (5 star rating) from Amazon on the GT30 which is great, however, one guy claims to see a lot of crosstalk when watching 3D movies. Either he's doing something wrong or he's at a bad viewing angle? Have you seen any crosstalk or ghosting with your set? Do you watch 3D at eye level?

I've only seen 3D on this panel when at the store so very limited sample. It looked superb with no signs of artifacts but I haven't seen enough to draw any conclusions.
post #370 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Now thats a smokin deal !
post #371 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I've only seen 3D on this panel when at the store so very limited sample. It looked superb with no signs of artifacts but I haven't seen enough to draw any conclusions.

Hey Zoyd. Thanks for this. I noticed these settings are different from what you posted on another forum. Did you make adjustments due to panel break in?
post #372 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Zoyd,

Per Cnet's review "To be sure we still saw some crosstalk on the GT30...", so I'd go with it definitely being there. How noticeable is going to depend on source and how critical you are. Doesn't sound like it's a big issue with most content, better than LCD's in this regard. Though Cnet did mention they preferred 3D on the D6400 LCD over the ST30 for some reason.
post #373 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic758 View Post

Hey Zoyd. Thanks for this. I noticed these settings are different from what you posted on another forum. Did you make adjustments due to panel break in?

My first cal (pg 12) used a gamma setting of 2.4 and 50% windowed patterns. I updated it using gamma 2.2 and the Large windowed APL patterns which shifted the gray scale a bit but both cals are similar. I've noticed that gamma depends on the APL and I believe this is related to the fluctuating brightness that has been seen on these panels.

Using the dynamic brightness pattern from the AVSHD cal disk I measured the reduction in light output in the 10,20,30, and 50% stimulus as a function of APL, the results compared to a low APL were:

% Stimulus 10 20 30 50
mid APL -38 -31 -30 -17
high APL -46 -47 -45 -36

So for example, the 10% stimulus pattern measured 46% lower against a high APL vs. a low APL. This is what is happening when there is a quick scene change from high APL to low and you see dark areas jump up in brightness. I don't think it would be that noticeable if the change were instantaneous but because there is a 1-2 second delay it becomes very noticeable.
post #374 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd

Picture mode Custom
Contrast 60
Brightness 53
Color 48
Tint 1
Color temp Warm 2
Color management off
Video NR off
->Pro Settings<-
W/B Red high -3
W/B Green high 6
W/B Blue high 5
W/B Red low 3
W/B Green low -3
W/B Blue low -5
Black extension 0
contour emphasis off
AGC 0
->Advanced Picture<-
Block NR off
Mosquito NR off
Motion smoother off
Black level light
Zoyd, thank you so much. This is really helpful!!

A few of questions for you:

I noticed that you did not provide a sharpness setting. Does that mean I leave that on default?

Where do I find the advanced picture settings? I can't find those last four settings.

So far, it looks dark to him. He's also 90 and used to a Sony XBR LCD. I might have to crank the brightness up or change the picture mode. Would that invalidate all the other settings?

Thank you very much to you and anyone else who might want to chime in. I appreciate it.

I look forward to watching the Spurs game on it tonight. (he's I'n San Antonio)
post #375 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post
Zoyd, thank you so much. This is really helpful!!

A few of questions for you:

I noticed that you did not provide a sharpness setting. Does that mean I leave that on default?
default 50% is fine

Quote:
Where do I find the advanced picture settings? I can't find those last four settings.
This submenu is on pg 3 of the Picture menu, scoll past the Pro settings to find it.

Quote:
So far, it looks dark to him. He's also 90 and used to a Sony XBR LCD. I might have to crank the brightness up or change the picture mode. Would that invalidate all the other settings?
You can increase contrast all the way up to 100 if you want, that will increase output from about 20 ftL to 28ftL without affecting gamma or gray scale. You can also use the mid setting on panel brightness and up the contrast to 80 to get a much brighter picture but this will screw up the high end gamma and you'll have to lower the color setting to avoid saturation but take a look and see what works best.
post #376 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
Quote:
My first cal (pg 12) used a gamma setting of 2.4 and 50% windowed patterns. I updated it using gamma 2.2 and the Large windowed APL patterns which shifted the gray scale a bit but both cals are similar. I've noticed that gamma depends on the APL and I believe this is related to the fluctuating brightness that has been seen on these panels.

Using the dynamic brightness pattern from the AVSHD cal disk I measured the reduction in light output in the 10,20,30, and 50% stimulus as a function of APL, the results compared to a low APL were:

% Stimulus 10 20 30 50
mid APL -38 -31 -30 -17
high APL -46 -47 -45 -36

So for example, the 10% stimulus pattern measured 46% lower against a high APL vs. a low APL. This is what is happening when there is a quick scene change from high APL to low and you see dark areas jump up in brightness. I don't think it would be that noticeable if the change were instantaneous but because there is a 1-2 second delay it becomes very noticeable.

zoyd,

Are these changes disconcerting during normal viewing?

How is the screen uniformness? Any green blobs on your set?

Larry
post #377 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
zoyd,

Are these changes disconcerting during normal viewing?

How is the screen uniformness? Any green blobs on your set?

Larry
It's extremely source dependent. For example, in watching material like the NBA finals in which APL is fairly constant it's never noticeable. On the other hand if you have a movie in which there are abrupt changes in APL *and* there are dark portions within the scene it is disconcerting. Screen uniformity is excellent and I've not seen any green blobs, purple snakes, etc.
post #378 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Technically, I'd leave sharpness at 0
post #379 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
Quote:
It's extremely source dependent. For example, in watching material like the NBA finals in which APL is fairly constant it's never noticeable. On the other hand if you have a movie in which there are abrupt changes in APL *and* there are dark portions within the scene it is disconcerting. Screen uniformity is excellent and I've not seen any green blobs, purple snakes, etc.

Unfortunately more than 75% of my viewing is of movies.

Larry
post #380 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd

I glad you have not seen it during the finals. I have (yesterday's Heat vs Sixers game).
post #381 of 4163 Old 04-23-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I glad you have not seen it during the finals. I have (yesterday's Heat vs Sixers game).
just saw it in the "winning taco" commercial. Unfortunately, now that it seems my brain has been trained to pick it out I've become more sensitive to the effect.
post #382 of 4163 Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM

I slipped by on the panasonic price mistake and got the 55gt30. For anyone who has concerns over this tv, it is fantastic and ive compared it to countless others. ive even returned 3 tvs in the last month, a sammy und8000, tried to go cheap-mitsubishi dlp 838, and a sammy plasma c7000 i believe. none have compared-except the much more expensive sammy d8000. And for the price that panny made on the mistake, it was an awesome buy.
post #383 of 4163 Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerlin1 View Post

I slipped by on the panasonic price mistake and got the 55gt30. For anyone who has concerns over this tv, it is fantastic and ive compared it to countless others. ive even returned 3 tvs in the last month, a sammy und8000, tried to go cheap-mitsubishi dlp 838, and a sammy plasma c7000 i believe. none have compared-except the much more expensive sammy d8000. And for the price that panny made on the mistake, it was an awesome buy.

Swerlin,

Did panasonic honor the price that they had listed for the 55 gt30? I too bought one from them during their "pricing error" and they strealthily changed the prive of my order to MSRP 5 days after i placed the order. When i confronted them about it, they initally made it sound like they would not budge at all. After a few days they settled on EPP pricing for me.

If i heard they allowed the pricing error to go through on some orders, they might be getting a phone call from me.
post #384 of 4163 Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper15667 View Post

Swerlin,

Did panasonic honor the price that they had listed for the 55 gt30? I too bought one from them during their "pricing error" and they strealthily changed the prive of my order to MSRP 5 days after i placed the order. When i confronted them about it, they initally made it sound like they would not budge at all. After a few days they settled on EPP pricing for me.

If i heard they allowed the pricing error to go through on some orders, they might be getting a phone call from me.

Just call your credit card company and have them adjust the price to what the Panasonic site shows on your order confirmation. Hopefully you took a screen shot to prove the "correct" price.
post #385 of 4163 Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Really, really good processing that essentially eliminates the 3:2 pulldown judder would be my guess.
Would the ST and GT have different processing power in regard to the 24p issue, or do they handle it the same?
post #386 of 4163 Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post

Would the ST and GT have different processing power in regard to the 24p issue, or do they handle it the same?

I think ST and GT are the same but the VT has different processing.
post #387 of 4163 Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper15667 View Post

Swerlin, Did panasonic honor the price that they had listed for the 55 gt30? I too bought one from them during their "pricing error" and they strealthily changed the prive of my order to MSRP 5 days after i placed the order. When i confronted them about it, they initally made it sound like they would not budge at all. After a few days they settled on EPP pricing for me.

By ultimately agreeing to let you have it at the EPP price they did you a huge favor.

Basically they reserve the right to refuse or cancel the order if the price was an error so i would leave well enough alone and be grateful they gave you such an incredible deal (that's normally not available to the general public) instead of just canceling your order.

http://www.panasonic.com/pol_docs/pricing.html

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #388 of 4163 Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I think the whole image flashing was a result of whatever was used to record. The portion with the problem seem to be the tiny area that comes up when he zooms the site. Due to the poor video quality it's really hard to see what's going on there.

Tazz, I wouldn't worry if I were you. I think some people see it more than others and you may one of those who don't. Wait until you get your set.

i saw brigthness flux on a youtube video while the guy was playing a videogame i could see clear as day. i dont wanna spend all this money and get a broke tv that that cant be fixed with a fw update.
pany took a step back this year
post #389 of 4163 Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Quick question bought the 50gt30 and its a pretty good set. Now i need an answer from another owner i seen on a thread where they showed the inside of a VT and it showed four fans in the back, well the GT also has four holes but mine only has 2 fans is that normal for the GT. can another owner check there set to see if thats how GT's are build. thanks
post #390 of 4163 Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

By ultimately agreeing to let you have it at the EPP price they did you a huge favor.

Basically they reserve the right to refuse or cancel the order if the price was an error so i would leave well enough alone and be grateful they gave you such an incredible deal (that's normally not available to the general public) instead of just canceling your order.

http://www.panasonic.com/pol_docs/pricing.html

I'd have to disagree with that. Many of the EPP prices are currently higher than retail. Bottom line is Panasonic can either cancel your order or charge you what you agreed to pay. They can't jack up the price after you have paid without your authorization.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page