Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3901 of 4163 Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

The 50" has a bezel that's less than an inch wide. The 65" has a bezel that's over an inch. I own the 50gt30 and love its look. The 65" has a massive bezel that makes it roughly 2" wider than the Samsung PN64D7000

My 60gt30 measures 1 and 5/8 inch bezel on top and sides with 2 inches at the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 4163 Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
C63

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

The 50" has a bezel that's less than an inch wide. The 65" has a bezel that's over an inch. I own the 50gt30 and love its look. The 65" has a massive bezel that makes it roughly 2" wider than the Samsung PN64D7000

You are correct that the 65 Panny is 2 inches wider and taller overall than the Samsung 64, but I think at least part of that is that the actual screen size of the Panny is almost an inch larger. Panny lists it at 64.7" and I'm sure if the Samsung was the same size they would call it a 65" TV too. It might even be less than 64". To me the bezels on both appear to be about the same, especially if you include the clear plastic border on the Sammy. Either way, I personally much prefer the look of the Panny regardless of whether it might have a slightly wider bezel. But obviously if space constraints or overall size is an issue then the Samsung is definitely smaller as you said.
post #3903 of 4163 Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Vudu HD Movies app is clearly listed here in the viera connect website as available but I can not find it nowhere in the app store.I already have it on my PS3 but panasonic should not promote things that they don't carry...

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/globa...pps/detail/143

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #3904 of 4163 Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just ran across a 2.1 speaker setup I used for a computer. Will this work plugged into my GT30's Audio Out for general watching? I use my HT system for movies, via the Digital Out from my HD Cable box, but don't want to fire all that up just for news or sitcoms.
post #3905 of 4163 Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM

I've got a 55GT30, a PS3, and a high speed HDMI cable connecting to port 3 on the tv (port 3 set to 'Game').

PS3 games work perfectly.
Blu-Ray movies work perfectly.
Finally bought 3D glasses and Resident Evil:Afterlife Blu-Ray 3D...and the audio constantly cuts out for a second, ranging from every 3 seconds to every 10 seconds. (Video is unaffected and looks amazing.)

The previews before getting to the disc main menu are 2D and there are no audio problems. They only start occurring at the disc main menu and through the movie. If I change the 3D setting on the GT30 to 2D the audio problem still persists.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
post #3906 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 AM

Liked: 14
My guess it's cable or PS3 releated. We have the 55" GT30 and use a new Panasonic BDT210 as our BR player. So far it's been flawless except for the motion deal on top. But so far no video or audio problems. I do have everthing routed thru a new Yamaha 671 AVR including the blu-ray plyer. How do you have everything connected?
post #3907 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thought I'd report back on my issue - I reached out to Panasonic and after talking with support they arranged to have somebody out. A Panasonic tech came out and flashed the main board with an SD card. It's been a few weeks, but so far everything seems to be good. I haven't notice any dramatic brightness shifts since.
post #3908 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I have a tc65gt30 and every now and then I see a red line that goes across the screen for a split second. This has happened when my tivo and ps3 were the sources. I have a 30 foot 22 awg hdmi cable from mono price and a 90 degree adapter that goes from the source to the tv. Thishappenswith eithersource. Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm trying to figure out it is the cable or tv.

I will be setting up a similar setup in about 2 weeks. Once the basement remodel wraps up, I will let you know.

Here is my setup:

AV Closet: (~50' away from the TV-cable wise)
Pioneer VSX-53
PS3
TIVO
Xbox 360

Cables:
Primary HDMI - 22 AWG "Premium HDMI- Monoprice"
Secondary HDMI - 24AWG "HDMI w/ Ethernet"

Display:
Panasonic GT30 65'

With the exception of the extra length, it should be comparable.

*** Update ***

I just tested the 65GT30 last night w/ the Monoprice "Premium" 22AWG cable @ 50ft length.

Due to the length of my HDMI cable, the signal would not reach my GT30 w/out a signal booster. I went with the Tripp Lite B122-000-60 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

This solved my signal issue. I used a PS3 as my source and never once saw red lines.

Have you tried to eliminate the 90 degree bend? How about amplifying the signal?
post #3909 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Does anyone feel as though the gt30 displays a soft image at times when watching HD content? I have a 60" GT30, applied 2.1patch and applied Dave O's settings and am happy with the color and brightness, but I still feel as though the image could be sharper..anyone else feel that the set lacks sharpness? I had a d6900 from samsung which i got rid of due to ridiculous buzzing and insane FBr but I have to say, the image was always crystal clear when watching HD digital cable content...i cant seem to find that same clarity with the gt30
post #3910 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_desj View Post

Does anyone feel as though the gt30 displays a soft image at times when watching HD content? I have a 60" GT30, applied 2.1patch and applied Dave O's settings and am happy with the color and brightness, but I still feel as though the image could be sharper..anyone else feel that the set lacks sharpness? I had a d6900 from samsung which i got rid of due to ridiculous buzzing and insane FBr but I have to say, the image was always crystal clear when watching HD digital cable content...i cant seem to find that same clarity with the gt30

I noticed on mine to get cable HD content to look good I had to turn on VN Reduction and motion smoother to weak.My cable HD looks great now.

Remember dave o's settings are set to a 6500kvn light output so your probably use to a brighter picture.Just reset custom mode and tweak the setting to your liking with a calibration disc or the free one here in the calibration forum.

Or leave it on THX for everything with (I got these settings from Jason W. on HDJ...Thanks)
Contrast/@75
Brightness/@53
Color/@47
Sharpness/@30
Everything else in default and for watching cable/sat change HD size from size 2 to 1 to enable pixel orbitor..

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #3911 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM

The Pannys use a front panel that is not 100% crystal clear which helps diffuse light. I asked and saw the Magnolia Rep at a B.B do this when I was comparing light reflection on various models. He took a lighter and held it up about a foot away from each screen. The Panasonic had the least glare between them, Samsung and LG. Our previous Sony Z5100 LCD had a almost non-glare screen but some swear these also reduce sharpness and clarity output.Other than that do as Peter suggested. And I use Dave_O's setttings and couldn't be happier.
post #3912 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 PM

thanxs for the suggestions guys...ill try out the thx settings and see what they look like...the sharpness issue is really the only thing keeping me from enjoying this set 100% ...aside from that its really a gorgeous tv

update --> call me crazy but i disabled the pixel orbiter and i feel as though the image is sharper...
post #3913 of 4163 Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

My guess it's cable or PS3 releated. We have the 55" GT30 and use a new Panasonic BDT210 as our BR player. So far it's been flawless except for the motion deal on top. But so far no video or audio problems. I do have everthing routed thru a new Yamaha 671 AVR including the blu-ray plyer. How do you have everything connected?

Just the PS3 - HDMI - 55GT30 (audio and video coming out of the tv).
Well it's not the DVD, just bought Tron 3D and same exact problem with audio cut out. Supposedly I have a HDMI rated for 3D but since that's the cheapest to replace I'll try that first. Otherwise we'll end up scrimping and getting a receiver sooner than we would otherwise.
...Unless there are other ideas?
post #3914 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM

I know this subject has been beaten to death. I purchased my Gt30 in June 2011 but have been so busy getting married, buying a house, etc, that I haven't had time to really focus on getting the FBr issue fixed until now.

I do have it on by 50" gt30. I contacted Panasonic today via their online repair request form and was told that a simple reset of the tv would fix the issue.

Has anyone else seen this work? I am under the assumptiong that a new A-board of SDcard fix is required by a tech. I know that few firmware updates have been released on the Panasonic website, but none of them address the FBr.

Thanks for your help!

Chris
post #3915 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Hi all,

I've had my 60-in GT for about 3 months now and over the past month or so, I've noticed that the image isn't as "sharp" as it was when I got the TV. It's like the focus is ever so slightly off. For example I was playing Skyrim last night and the menu text was a little big of a struggle to focus on. It's totally legible but after a while my eyes get tired.

I've always had perfect vision, so I'm wondering if there's something up with my set or if my eyes are finally crapping out on me. Any thoughts?
post #3916 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

I noticed on mine to get cable HD content to look good I had to turn on VN Reduction and motion smoother to weak.My cable HD looks great now.

Or leave it on THX for everything with (I got these settings from Jason W. on HDJ...Thanks)
Contrast/@75
Brightness/@53
Color/@47
Sharpness/@30
Everything else in default and for watching cable/sat change HD size from size 2 to 1 to enable pixel orbitor..

Another vote for these THX settings, especially if you don't plan on professional calibration. I've been playing with the settings for over a month now and these are the best compromise I've found for both Bluray and HD cable. In Custom mode you simply can't get the color right without pro calibration, whereas I think THX gets close enough for most folks. As I've said before the TV (especially in 65 size) is very critical of the input PQ. Great bluray content (Avatar, Hugo, Pixar/Dreamworks animation, etc.) looks spectacular. Most HD cable looks pretty good but some of it is just crap. Don't blame the TV for poor original input PQ.
post #3917 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissaid View Post

I know this subject has been beaten to death. I purchased my Gt30 in June 2011 but have been so busy getting married, buying a house, etc, that I haven't had time to really focus on getting the FBr issue fixed until now.

I do have it on by 50" gt30. I contacted Panasonic today via their online repair request form and was told that a simple reset of the tv would fix the issue.

Has anyone else seen this work? I am under the assumptiong that a new A-board of SDcard fix is required by a tech. I know that few firmware updates have been released on the Panasonic website, but none of them address the FBr.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Wonder why they would tell you that. All this time Panny was sending out techs to replace the the A-board when a simple reset would suffice...

They're BSing you.

If you check out the most recent reviews for the gt30 on Amazon it appears that Panny isn't providing customers with the proper support for this set. Maybe they're not as concerned because the new sets are coming out.

I don't know.

But if you're still experiencing the problem, I would get Panny back on the horn, and insist on an A-board swap!
post #3918 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a Panasonic Tech come out and update my 55GT30 with an SD card fix to get rid of the FBr. You don't need to get the A-Board replaced if there is a Panasonic Tech in your area. The A-Board is what a third-party repairman does to fix the problem.
post #3919 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsigt30 View Post

Just the PS3 - HDMI - 55GT30 (audio and video coming out of the tv).
Well it's not the DVD, just bought Tron 3D and same exact problem with audio cut out. Supposedly I have a HDMI rated for 3D but since that's the cheapest to replace I'll try that first. Otherwise we'll end up scrimping and getting a receiver sooner than we would otherwise.
...Unless there are other ideas?

Any cables go with Monoprice. And it's not uncommon to have cable issues be it video or audio. And depending on how it's ran to help keep weight off it you might look into getting a 90°. Just make sure you get the right angle and male to female setup.
post #3920 of 4163 Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmil7991 View Post

I had a Panasonic Tech come out and update my 55GT30 with an SD card fix to get rid of the FBr. You don't need to get the A-Board replaced if there is a Panasonic Tech in your area. The A-Board is what a third-party repairman does to fix the problem.

I'm scheduled to have a third-party look at my TV Thursday morning. I'm hoping it will be a flash and not a board replacement. In my almost two months of owning my 65 I've seen one instance (HD Golf Channel) where it may have been an FRr issue and I can't guarantee it wasn't the filming process. In any case, with a June build date, there was no way I wasn't going to get this taken care of while under warranty. With a calibration due next month I needed to get this resolved.
post #3921 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman11 View Post

Hi all,

I've had my 60-in GT for about 3 months now and over the past month or so, I've noticed that the image isn't as "sharp" as it was when I got the TV. It's like the focus is ever so slightly off. For example I was playing Skyrim last night and the menu text was a little big of a struggle to focus on. It's totally legible but after a while my eyes get tired.

I've always had perfect vision, so I'm wondering if there's something up with my set or if my eyes are finally crapping out on me. Any thoughts?

Just trying again to see if anyone has heard of blurring/sharpness issues
post #3922 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
C63

Quote:

Just trying again to see if anyone has heard of blurring/sharpness issues

I haven't noticed anything like this but only had set for a month. No idea what would cause that sort of problem.
post #3923 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmil7991 View Post

You're absolutely correct. My point is for him not to let some rep from Panny give him the run around.
post #3924 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Regarding sharpness issue--I have found it has a lot to do with the signal and cable quality--these sets are a bit sensitive (moreso then my last LCOS set) to signal quality IMHO. Anyway, for the most part I use the THX settings published here for most use, occassionally switching to Dave_O's custom settings which I like as well, but I have the sharpness turned up to about 50 or so for non BD and that seemed to do the trick
post #3925 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phakur View Post

Regarding sharpness issue--I have found it has a lot to do with the signal and cable quality--these sets are a bit sensitive (moreso then my last LCOS set) to signal quality IMHO. Anyway, for the most part I use the THX settings published here for most use, occassionally switching to Dave_O's custom settings which I like as well, but I have the sharpness turned up to about 50 or so for non BD and that seemed to do the trick

Thanks for the info. I've been using monoprice cables. Think I should try something better?
post #3926 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I've been using monoprice cables. Think I should try something better?

i don't think HDMI cables have anything to do with a picture being sharp or soft. Sparklies, yes. Handshake issues, yes. Soft picture, no way.
post #3927 of 4163 Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I'm using Monoprice .hdmi cables, and my picture is very sharp (plus I've had it calibrated), but doesn't at all seem like the problem is with your cables.
post #3928 of 4163 Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckf1 View Post

I'm using Monoprice .hdmi cables, and my picture is very sharp (plus I've had it calibrated), but doesn't at all seem like the problem is with your cables.

I actually was watching it last night and it looked great. Must've been a strange day with my eyes or something. That, or I'm going insane. Thanks for the replies though.
post #3929 of 4163 Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM

I am using Monoprice 22AWG cables with a switch so I can get 5.1 out to my Soundbar through all my devices and 3D. The switch actually stated that 22AWG were required to eliminate any PQ issues for 3D content. The switch is also made by Monoprice. The cost difference between 28 and 22 is pretty minimal. I am running 28's on my Panny 42X3 with no problem. No switch with the X3 and it is also not 3D and only 720P. YMMV though.
post #3930 of 4163 Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I'm scheduled to have a third-party look at my TV Thursday morning. I'm hoping it will be a flash and not a board replacement. In my almost two months of owning my 65 I've seen one instance (HD Golf Channel) where it may have been an FRr issue and I can't guarantee it wasn't the filming process. In any case, with a June build date, there was no way I wasn't going to get this taken care of while under warranty. With a calibration due next month I needed to get this resolved.

What I was told by the Panasonic Tech is that only Panasonic Tech have the SD fix for FBr. He said that way the fix won't get into the hands of competitors. Everyone else (third-party) can only replace the A-Board.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page