Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 135 - AVS Forum
First ... 133  134  135 136  137  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]
PeterLewis's Avatar PeterLewis 10:07 AM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain View Post

Thank you both.

Are you guys saying that if they replace the model then it won't be with a GT30 and likely they will try and force an ST30 on me? So I should insist they give me the GT50? Is that because GT30's are not being manufactured any longer?

Thank you two for your help/suggestions.

Yes! Insist for a later model which is the GT50...Do not settle for less...If they try to offer you an ST50 tell them no to give you the same equivelent model which is GT50...

GT30 I believe are not being manufactured any more so a GT50 comes into play.If they offer you a VT50 ,then stay quite and say YES please

PhantomPain's Avatar PhantomPain 11:03 AM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Yes! Insist for a later model which is the GT50...Do not settle for less...If they try to offer you an ST50 tell them no to give you the same equivelent model which is GT50...

GT30 I believe are not being manufactured any more so a GT50 comes into play.If they offer you a VT50 ,then stay quite and say YES please

Thank you Peter. I just called Panny and they said the notes from the tech are in but it hasn't been escalated yet. They said someone from Panasonic will call me to discuss the issue and the steps to resolve.

She said this is the normal procedure but I have been around long enough to know sometimes things fall through the crack and I may not get a call from Panny. So I may just call again on Monday to discuss. Then Tuesday or Wednesday...however many times I need to so that I get an answer.

Kind of crazy that I may actually get a GT50 out of this. The tv is only 5 months old at this point (with a broken panel!).

What if they offer me the VT30 instead of a GT50? Or possibly give me the option of ST50 or VT30? Go with the 50 model regardless?

I actually really hope I get the GT50 because of the dual core and THX settings. I never use the Viera now because everything moves so slowly in the menus. I just use ps3 or WDTV for all dnla or Netflix stuff. Plus the GT30 that I had doesn't support avi files and most of my movies are in avi. The WDTV plays them perfectly. Maybe the GT50 can now play avi, but I am not sure.
cythraul's Avatar cythraul 04:47 PM 04-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Maybe one of these port savers or 90 degree adapters might help you.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10419

This one looks perfect if you don't use the port just underneath:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=4859

Tho, I used the cable tie that was holding the power cord to relieve the downward stress on my connectors.
PhantomPain's Avatar PhantomPain 11:25 AM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain View Post

Thank you Peter. I just called Panny and they said the notes from the tech are in but it hasn't been escalated yet. They said someone from Panasonic will call me to discuss the issue and the steps to resolve.

She said this is the normal procedure but I have been around long enough to know sometimes things fall through the crack and I may not get a call from Panny. So I may just call again on Monday to discuss. Then Tuesday or Wednesday...however many times I need to so that I get an answer.

Kind of crazy that I may actually get a GT50 out of this. The tv is only 5 months old at this point (with a broken panel!).

What if they offer me the VT30 instead of a GT50? Or possibly give me the option of ST50 or VT30? Go with the 50 model regardless?

I actually really hope I get the GT50 because of the dual core and THX settings. I never use the Viera now because everything moves so slowly in the menus. I just use ps3 or WDTV for all dnla or Netflix stuff. Plus the GT30 that I had doesn't support avi files and most of my movies are in avi. The WDTV plays them perfectly. Maybe the GT50 can now play avi, but I am not sure.

Spoke to the TV repair shop today, they said the part has been ordered, so they are going to fix it. I'm fine with that as long as they do a great job on it and it looks like it is only 5 months old.
Scott101's Avatar Scott101 06:10 PM 04-30-2012
Hello,

Been reading a lot in the forum and have found many posts very useful and informative. I do have a question regarding the FBR issue that impacted some 2011 models. I have a 65GT30 that was purchased in October of 2011 with a build date of September 2011. I checked the previous posts and according to some posts, a 65GT30 with the FBR patch should have a EEP value of 83.44. My 65GT30 has a EEP value of 83.44 but I have noticed FBR now on a regular basis.

Questions

1) Can a 65GT30 with an EEP value of 83.44 still have a FBR issue?
2) What should I ask from Panasonic Canada when I log a service call? Flash the firmware using the SD method or A-board replacement. The TV is mounted on the wall and is pain to get off for the A-board replacement :-(
3) For everyone that has gotten the SD firmware fix and/or A-board replacement… Does the FBR completely go away?
4) I did not notice the FBR for the first while but now it is constant with most movies. Can the FBR reappear after it has been patched or the a-board replaced?

I do apologize if these questions have been asked before. This FBR is driving me nuts, as it is happening every time we watch movies (only use THX mode)..3-9 times... depending on the movie.

Thanks in advance.
Norske's Avatar Norske 10:38 PM 05-01-2012
Quick question....

What is a fair price for my 60gt30 with approx 50 hrs on it? Possibly moving to new house and I'm thinking of replacing all my stuff at the new house. Thanks in advance.
dkt2k's Avatar dkt2k 01:13 PM 05-02-2012
Hi. I am having a 55gt30 delivered on Saturday (BB display model, paid for by service plan on Samsung PN50A650 that developed a bad display).

Here's my question: I plan to connect a Directv DVR and a PS3 as my sources. My Pioneer Elite AVR supports HDMI but not ARC nor 3D. I want to be able to watch 3D, so I need to run an additional HDMI through the wall to the TV (one from each source). Until now I have run HDMI's to the AVR, and let it deal with audio, and have run 1 HDMI from the AVR to the Samsung for video.

Would it be better to just run optical/coax from the sources to the AVR for audio, or, since I would like to use the AVR for audio from the TV for off-air and Viera apps as well, run a single audio cable from the TV to the AVR for all audio signals? Is there a better way to address the issue? I cannot tell from the Panny manual I downloaded what sort of audio connection the GT30 has, or whether it is capable of passing DTS, DD5.1, etc.

Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
moxie1617's Avatar moxie1617 03:18 PM 05-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkt2k View Post

Hi. I am having a 55gt30 delivered on Saturday (BB display model, paid for by service plan on Samsung PN50A650 that developed a bad display).

Here's my question: I plan to connect a Directv DVR and a PS3 as my sources. My Pioneer Elite AVR supports HDMI but not ARC nor 3D. I want to be able to watch 3D, so I need to run an additional HDMI through the wall to the TV (one from each source). Until now I have run HDMI's to the AVR, and let it deal with audio, and have run 1 HDMI from the AVR to the Samsung for video.

Would it be better to just run optical/coax from the sources to the AVR for audio, or, since I would like to use the AVR for audio from the TV for off-air and Viera apps as well, run a single audio cable from the TV to the AVR for all audio signals? Is there a better way to address the issue? I cannot tell from the Panny manual I downloaded what sort of audio connection the GT30 has, or whether it is capable of passing DTS, DD5.1, etc.

Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

It won't pass DTS or DD through the optical out. It only outputs DD 5.1 from the OTA tuner. Ensure you get all of the interconnects with the TV. They have a special adapter for optical, component, and composite outputs. It also comes with a USB wifi adapter.
dkt2k's Avatar dkt2k 04:34 PM 05-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It won't pass DTS or DD through the optical out. It only outputs DD 5.1 from the OTA tuner. Ensure you get all of the interconnects with the TV. They have a special adapter for optical, component, and composite outputs. It also comes with a USB wifi adapter.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Scott101's Avatar Scott101 04:09 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post

Hello,

Been reading a lot in the forum and have found many posts very useful and informative. I do have a question regarding the FBR issue that impacted some 2011 models. I have a 65GT30 that was purchased in October of 2011 with a build date of September 2011. I checked the previous posts and according to some posts, a 65GT30 with the FBR patch should have a EEP value of 83.44. My 65GT30 has a EEP value of 83.44 but I have noticed FBR now on a regular basis.

Questions

1) Can a 65GT30 with an EEP value of 83.44 still have a FBR issue?
2) What should I ask from Panasonic Canada when I log a service call? Flash the firmware using the SD method or A-board replacement. The TV is mounted on the wall and is pain to get off for the A-board replacement :-(
3) For everyone that has gotten the SD firmware fix and/or A-board replacement Does the FBR completely go away?
4) I did not notice the FBR for the first while but now it is constant with most movies. Can the FBR reappear after it has been patched or the a-board replaced?

I do apologize if these questions have been asked before. This FBR is driving me nuts, as it is happening every time we watch movies (only use THX mode)..3-9 times... depending on the movie.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody?
mikexm's Avatar mikexm 01:48 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post

Anybody?

Contrary to ST/VT models, looks to me that the 65GT30 FBr bug hasn't been fixed yet. If anyone can say otherwise please do so!

I almost came to the conclusion that those with this model who doesn't have the problem: 1) had no FBr out of the box 2) Don't actually see it even if it is present.

Please make me wrong. If your 65GT30 had the problem and was fixed by a board swap, please let us know your old/new eep versions.

I have a 65GT30 on order. I hope I won't have to ship it back because of this problem.

TIA
RedOctober205's Avatar RedOctober205 06:42 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexm View Post

Contrary to ST/VT models, looks to me that the 65GT30 FBr bug hasn't been fixed yet. If anyone can say otherwise please do so!

I almost came to the conclusion that those with this model who doesn't have the problem: 1) had no FBr out of the box 2) Don't actually see it even if it is present.

Please make me wrong. If your 65GT30 had the problem and was fixed by a board swap, please let us know your old/new eep versions.

I have a 65GT30 on order. I hope I won't have to ship it back because of this problem.

TIA

FBr was never fixed, it was greatly reduced on ST/GT/VT models to the point of being nearly impossible to detect. Yes, that includes the 65GT30, which I have.
go5a's Avatar go5a 05:36 PM 05-05-2012
Hi all,

So I have done some searching on this topic and then tried to look through this thread but 135 pages is a bit much to look through. So thought I wuld try to get a quick answer from someone.

What type of video files will the GT30 play? Looks like AVCHD and mkv? Anything else?

Thanks for any help
xela19115's Avatar xela19115 03:13 PM 05-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by go5a View Post

Hi all,

So I have done some searching on this topic and then tried to look through this thread but 135 pages is a bit much to look through. So thought I wuld try to get a quick answer from someone.

What type of video files will the GT30 play? Looks like AVCHD and mkv? Anything else?

Thanks for any help

It also will not decode DTS or DD even in MP4, AVCHD or MKV files. Does not play AVI files either.
CapnJazz's Avatar CapnJazz 09:16 PM 05-07-2012
Just received my 60" GT30 today but small issue. It looks like only HDMI port 1 works! I have my PS3 and cable box attached but it's not picking up on the other ports. I connected both the PS3 and box with their respective cables and nothing. Not sure what's up as both cables will work in port 1 only.

Should I maybe just buy some brand new ones?
Aliens's Avatar Aliens 08:24 AM 05-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJazz View Post

Just received my 60" GT30 today but small issue. It looks like only HDMI port 1 works! I have my PS3 and cable box attached but it's not picking up on the other ports. I connected both the PS3 and box with their respective cables and nothing. Not sure what's up as both cables will work in port 1 only.

Should I maybe just buy some brand new ones?

Are you going to the other inputs directly or through a receiver? If through a receiver, it sounds like it could a receiver setting for those devices. Things can be as simple and overlooked as not switching the receiver output from one device to another when wanting to access them. I’m not sure of your electronic history but I wanted to at least mention the simple ones first. You’ve already determined your cables are good so no need to get new ones.
Mean Gene's Avatar Mean Gene 07:06 AM 05-09-2012
Watched Underworld Awakening 3D last night, picture was amazing. My new demo disc for my gt30 and st30!
ritrain86's Avatar ritrain86 09:25 AM 05-11-2012
Quote:

I am having what i believe is a hand shake issue with the verizon cable box and my AVR (Denon 2112CI). My work around is to run the verizon box directly to the TV via HDMI, and use ARC for the audio via HDMI (as the GT30 and Denon 2112CI) both support ARC.

Will it output DD 5.1 in ARC if the connections are all HDMI?
whipit's Avatar whipit 11:14 AM 05-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritrain86 View Post

I am having what i believe is a hand shake issue with the verizon cable box and my AVR (Denon 2112CI). My work around is to run the verizon box directly to the TV via HDMI, and use ARC for the audio via HDMI (as the GT30 and Denon 2112CI) both support ARC.

Did you check the Denon thread in the audio section to see if there's an update to the firmware? I had to update my 2310ci when I got it hooked up to my G10, after that all is good.
moxie1617's Avatar moxie1617 11:51 AM 05-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritrain86 View Post

No, it just outputs stereo over ARC return channel also. If it's your cable box, you can run optical/coax to your AVR and get 5.1 DD and not lose any audio quality vs HDMI to your AVR.
ritrain86's Avatar ritrain86 12:40 PM 05-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Did you check the Denon thread in the audio section to see if there's an update to the firmware? I had to update my 2310ci when I got it hooked up to my G10, after that all is good.

I didnt see one as of late, believe the latest was july of 2011, i will re-check though. I just purchased the reciever in prep for a new home, so i will check to ensure i am running the most up to date code.

Quote:

No, it just outputs stereo over ARC return channel also. If it's your cable box, you can run optical/coax to your AVR and get 5.1 DD and not lose any audio quality vs HDMI to your AVR.

Thanks! I only played around with it for a few minutes late last night, if I cannot get it working, this will be the route I take.
whipit's Avatar whipit 12:50 PM 05-11-2012
Not sure what I'm getting but there's sound from my rear speakers from my ST30's ARC output while playing over DLNA, not sure about the cable feed. It's one of those HTIB's and it just says "ARC" unlike the denon.
Relysis's Avatar Relysis 03:53 PM 05-23-2012
Anybody else a little annoyed that Viera Connect apps have been left in the dust?

The GT30 Netflix app won't even let you search for content, or change screen format. You're stuck to whatever is in your queue or recommended. Youtube doesn't play in HD, and only lets you play the first 3 videos of a playlist.

The GT50 Netflix has an updated app that lets you search. Is there any history of Panasonic caring about older (1.5 years...) sets enough to update these? It seems like since they have the better app in production, why not roll it out to all sets. They're silly if they think I'm going to upgrade to another set from them for Netflix. I'll just stay annoyed and not buy again.

Other than that, I'm over 1000 hours into the set and the picture is getting better and better. Even the white screen buzzing has been reduced or eliminated.
Denon_Kid's Avatar Denon_Kid 04:50 PM 05-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relysis View Post

Anybody else a little annoyed that Viera Connect apps have been left in the dust?

The GT30 Netflix app won't even let you search for content, or change screen format. You're stuck to whatever is in your queue or recommended. Youtube doesn't play in HD, and only lets you play the first 3 videos of a playlist.

The GT50 Netflix has an updated app that lets you search. Is there any history of Panasonic caring about older (1.5 years...) sets enough to update these? It seems like since they have the better app in production, why not roll it out to all sets. They're silly if they think I'm going to upgrade to another set from them for Netflix. I'll just stay annoyed and not buy again.

Other than that, I'm over 1000 hours into the set and the picture is getting better and better. Even the white screen buzzing has been reduced or eliminated.

the panel makers only care about making a panel that is attractive in features so you buy it, and once that production is gone they dont really care about the older stuff since they are already making a new model and dont really want to spin cycles trying to keep all that old crud up-to-date. LG is notorious for doing this.

this is a problem os trying to push unproven latest-greatest stuff out to consumers. this is the exact opposite to more mature companies like Mercedes Benz where they refine the same model year after year, with the occasional new model, etc.

the panel industry has become ridiculous.
ggsantafe's Avatar ggsantafe 07:43 AM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relysis View Post

One other option to consider - the Panny BD players - both the xx10 & xx20 series from 2011 & 2012 both offer an enhanced Netflix app that provides the Search function. When I purchased my GT30 it came bundled with a Panny 110 BD player and I have always used the BD Netflix app - I went and checked the GT30 app after reading your note - & sure enough - no search function - although it lets you view choices by genre - clumsy & inefficient. So if having Netflix search is important to you - consider one of the Panny BD players - Amazon has used 110's available for <$100
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...7866897&sr=8-7
douflag's Avatar douflag 09:23 PM 05-31-2012
Just received a new firmware update for my tv. Any idea what this update entails?
skywing269's Avatar skywing269 05:51 AM 06-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by douflag View Post

Just received a new firmware update for my tv. Any idea what this update entails?

Same here, curious if there is a change list somewhere.
moxie1617's Avatar moxie1617 06:46 AM 06-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywing269 View Post

Same here, curious if there is a change list somewhere.

There is at the panasonic web site but with only one entry I don't know if it qualifies as a list, lol. It is for Viera Connect issues with no further details listed.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...s&support#tabs

Never mind, the description is for the last release.
mbtobe's Avatar mbtobe 07:19 AM 06-01-2012
I have a GT30 that I am using as a computer monitor in a conference room.
I have noticed that the screen seems to auto dim when I expand the picture to full screen vs a small portion...room lighting is not the issue as I have tried with lights and no lights on as well as turning off that setting.
Is there an additional setting?
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 07:36 AM 06-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtobe View Post

I have a GT30 that I am using as a computer monitor in a conference room. I have noticed that the screen seems to auto dim when I expand the picture to full screen vs a small portion...room lighting is not the issue as I have tried with lights and no lights on as well as turning off that setting. Is there an additional setting?

That sounds like the ABL circuit (Automatic Brightness Limiter) kicking in when you bring up large bright areas on the screen. This normal for all Plasmas and isn't defeatable. It's one of the downsides to using a large plasma as a PC monitor.
First ... 133  134  135 136  137  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop