Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post

My guess is when it happens it will be so quick that I'll probably miss it.

Your guess is wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post

emackn

You need the right angle adapter in the first image. I ended up with a Phillips swivel ended HDMI cable http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWV347.../dp/B003EYVP12

I don't think it is random. I believe it is supposed to happen in scenes that have a lot of white and then rapidly change to a different scene. I have been watching general TV viewing on a GT30 for several weeks and have not witnessed the fluctuating brightness. My guess is when it happens it will be so quick that I'll probably miss it.

Zeuspaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB (E-Work) View Post

Your guess is wrong

So hes been watching HIS GT30 for a few weeks, hasnt noticed fluctuating brightness and hypothesis's that if it happens its not noticable to him because it happens so quick. Yet you tell him hes wrong. So you have some sort of way of seeing HIS TV through his eyes? How can you tell someone they are wrong when he is watching HIS OWN TV??????
post #453 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 05:00 AM

You are missing the point: WHEN it happens it happens pretty badly.

This is exatly the issue I observe on my P50G30E (and less visibly on VT30 in Panasonic showroom).
From all videos I saw so far this is the only one which clearly shows the problem - all the others are not "ideal" because of the flickering (caused by a difference of TV vs. camera framerate)
post #454 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Just ordered the 55". Hope mine isn't defective.
post #455 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM

From my experience, I believe BOTH JohnnyB and zeuspaul regarding the fluctuating brightness. My 50" GT30 looked very similar to the video posted by JohnnyB and that unit went straight back. Just received a 55" GT30 a few days ago and, while the fluctuations are still there, the appear to happen less frequently and are much more subtle.
post #456 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:

You are missing the point: WHEN it happens it happens pretty badly.

This is exatly the issue I observe on my P50G30E (and less visibly on VT30 in Panasonic showroom).
From all videos I saw so far this is the only one which clearly shows the problem - all the others are not "ideal" because of the flickering (caused by a difference of TV vs. camera framerate)

My goodness, that's horrible. It seems like the 2011 TVs from Sammy and Panny are messed up with brightness fluctuations or brightness pops. What a complete let down. Such a ridiculous issue for premium TVs to have. Forget how good the picture is, but this issue is so obvious and unacceptable. I was looking so forward to getting a 2011 set from either manufacturer, now not sure what I'm gonna do.
post #457 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxSux View Post

My goodness, that's horrible. It seems like the 2011 TVs from Sammy and Panny are messed up with brightness fluctuations or brightness pops. What a complete let down. Such a ridiculous issue for premium TVs to have. Forget how good the picture is, but this issue is so obvious and unacceptable. I was looking so forward to getting a 2011 set from either manufacturer, now not sure what I'm gonna do.

I'd like to think that the majority of the sets don't have this issue and that it's an edge case. There are probably thousands of sets out there without the problem, the issue is you only see the people posting that have problems. Seems to be the case with the majority of electronics issues nowadays!
post #458 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmackerman View Post

I'd like to think that the majority of the sets don't have this issue and that it's an edge case. There are probably thousands of sets out there without the problem, the issue is you only see the people posting that have problems. Seems to be the case with the majority of electronics issues nowadays!

Exactly and things get blown out of proportion very quickly here. I for one would have to see any reported problem for myself before I swore off a particular model or an entire line or even all plasmas for a given year.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #459 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Exactly and things get blown out of proportion very quickly here. I for one would have to see any reported problem for myself before I swore off a particular model or an entire line or even all plasmas for a given year.

So your not having these issues? I would love to believe it is only a case of a few people. But it seems like enough people are saying it is happening to warrant a little concern. I don't change TVs often, and this purchase would be one that will easily last 5-7 yrs or even longer. I'm definitely ready to buy a set, but I know I won't be able to live with such an issue. If a retailer lets me return a set for a full refund with no "re-stocking fee" and no hassles, I will gladly take one home and give it a go.
post #460 of 4163 Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM

I read one review where a guy claims he witnessed minor fluctuations with the brightness, however, this was seen during the break-in period. After 100 hours of usage, he says it went away completely. Maybe folks need to give the GT30 a chance and view it for at least 100 hours? If the problem doesn't go away, exchange it for refund before the return policy expires.
post #461 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

I read one review where a guy claims he witnessed minor fluctuations with the brightness, however, this was seen during the break-in period. After 100 hours of usage, he says it went away completely. Maybe folks need to give the GT30 a chance and view it for at least 100 hours? If the problem doesn't go away, exchange it for refund before the return policy expires.

No that would be reasonable, cant see folks doing that at all. Better to condemn the whole 2011 Panasonic lineup lol

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #462 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxSux View Post

So your not having these issues? I would love to believe it is only a case of a few people. But it seems like enough people are saying it is happening to warrant a little concern. I don't change TVs often, and this purchase would be one that will easily last 5-7 yrs or even longer. I'm definitely ready to buy a set, but I know I won't be able to live with such an issue. If a retailer lets me return a set for a full refund with no "re-stocking fee" and no hassles, I will gladly take one home and give it a go.

No I do not own a 2011 Panasonic, have the 2010 GT25. I just know from experience that alot of issues get blown out of proportion here. With the tv being relatively new on the market and think it will be months before it is known whether this is a widespread issue or not. What about the ST30 ? Getting great reviews and havent heard anything truly negative about it.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #463 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM

(To all) For your information today I returned my P50G30E back SOLELY because of totally unacceptable fluctuating brightness.
post #464 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(To all) For your information today I returned my P50G30E back SOLELY because of totally unacceptable fluctuating brightness.

And the message is no one should buy a GT30 based on your experience ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #465 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:

My point exactly.
post #466 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Can anybody confirm or refute that this is the case? Before I have my tv delivered and mounted. I currently have on order an LG 50PZ950, but I would prefer the Panasonic TC-P 50GT30 if the majority of problems disappear after break in/calibration I would change my order immediately, otherwise I am going to have to stick with the LG.

Please help if you can!
post #467 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:

The message is "I returned my P50G30E back solely because of totally unacceptable fluctuating brightness"
post #468 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM

I have just started the break in period for a new GT30 (15 hours). I notice the fluctuating brightness about once per viewing session. I'll post an update after about 150 hours.
post #469 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relysis View Post

I have just started the break in period for a new GT30 (15 hours). I notice the fluctuating brightness about once per viewing session. I'll post an update after about 150 hours.

Thanks,

Much appreciated.
post #470 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

JohnnyB

What movie is the clip from? It is difficult distinguishing between the source and the GT30 processing. I have a dual HDMI output Blu-Ray player and would like to do a side by side comparison between my GT30 and a Vizio LCD which are currently connected to the same player.

I would be inclined to be more critical of the videographer than a TV which struggles with a poorly lit high contrast scene. I see what appears at first look to be a couple of one time gamma adjustments. I wouldn't characterize it as *fluctuating* using a dictionary definition of *back and forth*. I would characterize it as an adjustment. However without a comparison with a second TV I don't feel comfortable characterizing it as anything.

I just watched Cliffhanger with the volume off so I could focus on the video because I thought I would be able to see the gamma adjustment due to high contrast scenes in the movie. I wasn't able to detect any fluctuation. I usually watch the GT30 in THX. However I watched Cliffhanger in Vivid because it was during the day.

IMO the GT30 doesn't do much for poor source material. It starts setting itself apart with better quality video. A subjective opinion.

Zeuspaul
post #471 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Are you a Panasonic plasma salesman or something? Your rebuttal posts follow EVERY single post that is even slightly critical of plasmas in the past 3 months.

Why can't you just accept other people's opinion as also valid? You don't even own a vt30.
post #472 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb (e-work) View Post
(to all) for your information today i returned my p50g30e back solely because of totally unacceptable fluctuating brightness.
k thanx bye
post #473 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
Are you a Panasonic plasma salesman or something? Your rebuttal posts follow EVERY single post that is even slightly critical of plasmas in the past 3 months.

Why can't you just accept other people's opinion as also valid? You don't even own a vt30.
No just a Panasonic plasma owner. As far as whether I have the "right" to post on this thread thats up to the moderators. I have a right to express my opinion just like anyone else. Thanks for the ethics lesson but it is not welcomed.

I spend alot of time on the Plasma forums mainly the Panasonic ones. I suppose you own a VT30 and this is the only forum you ever post on, yeah right.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #474 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Ok guys, quick question for you all:

My Sammy PN50C7000 is gone, I saw the new 2011 plasmas today and the Sammys lacks the 3d checkerboard (I saw the D6500, D7000 and D8000), so I gave up...

I was looking the Panas GT30 ad ST30. The guy at store told me the GT30 uses Kuro pannel, and even tough he had Sonys, Sammys, LGs and Toshibas to sell he told me by far the GT30 is the best PQ.

So should I pull the trigger and get a Pana? GT or VT? Budget is 1300 (with 1200 I can another C7000)
post #475 of 4163 Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakulo View Post

I was looking the Panas GT30 ad ST30. The guy at store told me the GT30 uses Kuro pannel, and even tough he had Sonys, Sammys, LGs and Toshibas to sell he told me by far the GT30 is the best PQ.

I don't know what TV is best for you, but the sales person is wrong about Panasonic using Kuro panels in any of their 2011 displays. You might want to consider that before you take his advise.

By the way, using the word "wrong" as just me being nice.
post #476 of 4163 Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 AM

Since Panasonic has a contract for 3D Avatar for a few more years, anyone know if they'll bundle it w/their sets again come December?

Will these glasses/package work w/the GT30?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...5292131&sr=8-1
post #477 of 4163 Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmackerman View Post

You can think that if you like but it's a "feature" of the technology, so say manufacturers and those who have examimed the patts.

If you want to make an assumption it's safer to say that not all people will notice it or will find it unacceptable. I think many of the average users will think it's their signal or something else in their setup like power fluctuations instead of it being a problem with the TV.

post #478 of 4163 Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D-Nice aged his set for over 100 hours before using it and reporting the problem. It's not going to go away with time, it's a part of the technology. Accept it. Buying and returning sets in hopes of getting a "good one" is a fool's errand. However, it may yield a set where the problem isn't as prominent, but I can't be certain that's true either but I may be wrong?

post #479 of 4163 Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No that would be reasonable, cant see folks doing that at all. Better to condemn the whole 2011 Panasonic lineup lol

Yes better to condemn the whole line up and send a message to the manufacturer that these kind of flaws are unacceptable, that they should be fixed before release or that they should not to use flawed technology. If that had been the mindset behind previous year's problems they would have had a different approach to this year's models. As it stands they have the attitude that we'll buy anything they throw at us.

post #480 of 4163 Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM

Will this package/glasses work w/the GT30 series tv?

Panasonic TY-EW3D2MMK2 Ultimate 3D Starter Kit (Avatar 3D + 2 Rechargeable Glasses)

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...5292131&sr=8-1

Idk if those glasses are for last years set i.e the VT25
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page